Photo

[Character] Juha Bach

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
191 replies to this topic

#41 Zero

Zero

Shinigami

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:23 AM

I don't understand it either. :derp:

Maybe it's the character design.. Bach looks kinda like a homeless guy.

I also don't like the name "Juha", it's a Finnish name and I'm Finnish so it sound really boring name to me, idk, he's like a grumpy Finnish/German drunkard or something. I can't take him seriously..

Likely his name is a double entendre that plays on Kubo's eclectic tastes in music.

The characters used Yu Ha Va Ha spell out the name of the Judaic deity Yahweh/Jehovah.

#42 Krizalid

Krizalid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:08 PM

Isn't this man the Vincent Volaju of Bleach?

#43 PlasmaWolf

PlasmaWolf

Worm of a Man

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,470 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:26 PM

Is a Quincy?  :rly: Fo sho doe?

Bach's at least part-Quincy, although nothing has confirmed his status as being even part-Shinigami.

6HCLCEL.png

#44 Ichigo

Ichigo

Shinigami

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:45 PM

There seem to be three kinds of Blut: the general technique "Blut", Blut Vene, and Blut Arterie.

Just having the general ability enabled repairs any damage to the body. Blut Vene makes the skin impenetrable and increases durability, like a Hierro that can be switched on and off. Blut Arterie, in mostly unknown ways, increases attacking power. We've seen the effect of Blut Arterie on Opie's Hielig Pfiel, but other than that the technique hasn't been showcased much.

Probably Blut Kapillare, given the German translations.

I'd assume it's some midway between Vene and Arterie. 
As in a balanced state, but eh. 

#45 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,358 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:01 PM

Is this guy's name Yhwach or Juhabach?

We all used to laugh at the fact that Clark Kent could hide who he was just by putting on glasses. .....Now Kubo has proven that it can happen. Who knew :shrug:

Vote for me in the Short Story Contest! Well at least vote for someone...

#46 Clyde

Clyde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:18 PM

Is this guy's name Yhwach or Juhabach?

Spoiler

13121301403036501.png

"Yes, I'm sexy as ****." - Renji Abarai

#47 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,358 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:27 PM

Is that straight from the RAW or a translation? Because the katakana is saying Yuuhabaha.. Which is very different from Yhwach? Any Germans can verify that Yuuhabaha sounds anything like Yhwach? Or vice-versa.

We all used to laugh at the fact that Clark Kent could hide who he was just by putting on glasses. .....Now Kubo has proven that it can happen. Who knew :shrug:

Vote for me in the Short Story Contest! Well at least vote for someone...

#48 Oben

Oben

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:32 PM

Is that straight from the RAW or a translation? Because the katakana is saying Yuuhabaha.. Which is very different from Yhwach? Any Germans can verify that Yuuhabaha sounds anything like Yhwach? Or vice-versa.

If you are drunk and have a vivid imagination, then maybe yes.
On the other hand, I'm not sure how you could really spell Yhwach in Katakana in the first place, so Yuhabaha doesn't sound so bad.

#49 PlasmaWolf

PlasmaWolf

Worm of a Man

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,470 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:55 PM

In my view, Bach's name is quite confusing to comprehend because Kubo used Japanese letters for the pronunciation of what appears to be a German-esque name, which is also being written with English letters. The above picture posted by clydu is from the raw version of volume 58, but as anyone can see, the names are written in both English and katakana.

The English would likely carry the pronunciation, "You-Walk," without trying to apply a German accent/pronunciation. However, with a German context added, the pronunciation (according to a close friend of mine who's fluent in German) would be akin to "Yee-Ha-Vok" (that is, after changing the English letters into a more-appropriate, German-sounding name). The katakana definitely reads as "Yuhabaha," and that is where the problem lies.

Kubo has essentially given Bach two different names using three different languages (if that makes any sense). One name, included in chapter 505, is "Yuhabaha" due to the katakana characters, but after being romanized, you end up with either "Youwalk" or "Yeehavok." BadKarma was also very confounded by the name, and posted a comment telling the readers to wait for Kubo's "official" spelling. For all we know, this could very easily turn into another one of many names in the manga universe which have distinct spellings when compared to their pronunciations.

It's like Harribel's first name: the katakana is "Tia," yet the English is written as "Tier," which provides a different pronunciation.

Edited by PlasmaWolf, 10 March 2013 - 10:57 PM.

6HCLCEL.png

#50 Milareppa

Milareppa

Sugarholic

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,102 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:25 PM

If the anime does end up continuing at a future date, it'll be very interesting to see how the voice actors pronounce the name.

#51 Ultrafragor

Ultrafragor

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,784 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:28 PM

As a series of unutterable syllables that will only complicate the issue further.

Halo_zps44c0749c.jpg

#52 Jesterzzn

Jesterzzn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:00 PM

In my view, Bach's name is quite confusing to comprehend because Kubo used Japanese letters for the pronunciation of what appears to be a German-esque name, which is also being written with English letters. The above picture posted by clydu is from the raw version of volume 58, but as anyone can see, the names are written in both English and katakana.

The English would likely carry the pronunciation, "You-Walk," without trying to apply a German accent/pronunciation. However, with a German context added, the pronunciation (according to a close friend of mine who's fluent in German) would be akin to "Yee-Ha-Vok" (that is, after changing the English letters into a more-appropriate, German-sounding name). The katakana definitely reads as "Yuhabaha," and that is where the problem lies.

Kubo has essentially given Bach two different names using three different languages (if that makes any sense). One name, included in chapter 505, is "Yuhabaha" due to the katakana characters, but after being romanized, you end up with either "Youwalk" or "Yeehavok." BadKarma was also very confounded by the name, and posted a comment telling the readers to wait for Kubo's "official" spelling. For all we know, this could very easily turn into another one of many names in the manga universe which have distinct spellings when compared to their pronunciations.

It's like Harribel's first name: the katakana is "Tia," yet the English is written as "Tier," which provides a different pronunciation.

I'm not saying it will be, but I would not be surprised if Kubo is going for Yahweh (YHVH). He's thrown some hebrewish names out there recently, and given the symbolism surrounding his armies and Zangetsu, it sure would be bold for Kubo to choose that name for Bach.

I mean think about this (theoretical) scenario. Zangetsu, the embodiment of Bankai and whose symbol is the swastika, specifically created to be used by Ichigo in order to battle the original Quincy, whose real name is Yahweh...

It makes my mind spin a bit.

Edited by Jesterzzn, 11 March 2013 - 08:04 PM.

#53 Milareppa

Milareppa

Sugarholic

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,102 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:52 PM

I mean think about this (theoretical) scenario. Zangetsu, the embodiment of Bankai and whose symbol is the swastika, specifically created to be used by Ichigo in order to battle the original Quincy, whose real name is Yahweh...

That reminds me.

Originally, what was Ichigo's stance? He tells Uryuu here what it is. And then we have Urahara saying this. So, Ichigo may have originally said he's not capable of protecting everyone, but that appears to be what he's designed to do.

#54 PlasmaWolf

PlasmaWolf

Worm of a Man

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,470 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:59 PM

We do have an idea on for powerful Bach is, remember Yama-jii was unable to kill him with his bankai 1000 years ago. Bach even commented on how Yama-jii is softer now then he was back then.

Yamamoto was unable to kill him under unknown circumstances. Did the old man wuss-out at the last second? Did Bach have someone else intervene at the last second? We don't know why Yamamoto was unable to kill the guy, so it's a moot point to make when claiming how ungodly powerful the man supposedly is.

6HCLCEL.png

#55 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

Best Girl

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,792 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:09 PM

Yamamoto was unable to kill him under unknown circumstances. Did the old man wuss-out at the last second? Did Bach have someone else intervene at the last second? We don't know why Yamamoto was unable to kill the guy, so it's a moot point to make when claiming how ungodly powerful the man supposedly is.

Also Yamamoto clearly did not use his Bankai to its full capabilities, otherwise Bach would not be so confused.

#56 BankaiFTW

BankaiFTW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:10 PM

In chapter 513 Ichigo asked Juha if hes was the enemy but Juha was like "yes and no"

Could he perhaps be hinting that currently he is the enemy but there is someone else who he will discover as the enemy in the future?

like maybe soul society for being the culprits behind Masaki's death? :D

#57 Tom Ace

Tom Ace

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:48 AM

In chapter 513 Ichigo asked Juha if hes was the enemy but Juha was like "yes and no"

Could he perhaps be hinting that currently he is the enemy but there is someone else who he will discover as the enemy in the future?

like maybe soul society for being the culprits behind Masaki's death? :D

It could mean many things.

He could think of himself as the good guy doing bad things to make things better in his mind, Kubo is Kubo and i am sure he will mind F**k everyone or do what is expected.

My DA page My OMF art thread

zraDs6U.png                                                                                                                                   

"Let me go on record to say that I hope Kenpachi kills them all."

"GO KENPACHI WOOOOOO"  - Damanos

#58 Damanos

Damanos

The Red Beast

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,889 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:55 AM

It also most likely refers to him thinking that Ichigo should join him, and thus Ichigo shouldn't call the Vandenreich the "enemy army".

Xllaa6D.png

"Ensuring the fresh leaves bud and usher in a new spring is the climax of the springtime of youth!!  That is when it burns its deepest crimson red!!!"

#59 Rashugun

Rashugun

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:53 AM

If the anime does end up continuing at a future date, it'll be very interesting to see how the voice actors pronounce the name.

Well, Yuuhabahha, as his name is written like... 

Oh god why...

6474505L.gif

#60 Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate

Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:01 AM

Uhm...

Heres my application to jump on the juha bach bandwagon?

"The name of this age is Whitebeard!!!!!!" -Ace