fatestitcher

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts
  • Locationthe super attic

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

SengokuYouko28_0004+0005.jpg

A manga by MIZUKAMI Satoshi mangaka of Hoshi No Samidare/Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer

"Stop your evil deeds and take the right path!" That is the creed of Youko Tama and her younger step brother, Jinka Sendou. The two demon siblings travel the country to stop the deeds of all evil doers, along with a scaredy-cat swordsman they picked up along the way, Hyoudou Shinsuke. During their travels, they will come across a monk organization with more than suspicious methods and they'll soon be at war.

First Chapter: http://www.batoto.ne...lky-translation
Most recent chapter (45): http://www.batoto.ne..._by_vexed-scans

Posted Image

Don't look at it directly

#2 Athos

Athos

Wandering Escapist

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:13 PM

Between this and Spirit Circle, Mizukami Satoshi has gone way beyond "might be a fluke" and into "can do no wrong" territory for me.

Cosidering how dull the original premise was, I'm glad SY lasted this long. Would've been a shame if it ended before it got to the really good stuff. And by that I mean this

Spoiler

• DaEvilWithin likes this

samisig.jpg

#3 fatestitcher

fatestitcher

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:35 PM

Between this and Spirit Circle, Mizukami Satoshi has gone way beyond "might be a fluke" and into "can do no wrong" territory for me.

Cosidering how dull the original premise was, I'm glad SY lasted this long. Would've been a shame if it ended before it got to the really good stuff. And by that I mean this

I haven't heard of Spirit Circle until now, but this manga and Hoshi no Samidare were amazing. If you haven't read Hoshi no Samidare I recommend it wholeheartedly. I've read Psycho Staff too and it was ok.

I feel there is still a lot of great stuff to come and this quest will lead to something as great as the first one. I never would have expected such an extreme change in protagonists but the author has done a good job with it so far.

oh and I still want Shakugan to come back.

Posted Image

#4 Athos

Athos

Wandering Escapist

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:58 AM

Oh, I've read Hoshi no Samidare, don't worry about that one. It was actually the manga that pushed me to learn how to scanlate. That's what I meant by fluke-- I could've just assumed that Mizukami used everything he had with The Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer and he'd never be able to do something as good after that.

Now look at Spirit Circle, his latest manga. That thing is freaking brilliant-- and it's only like 7 chapters in. Then there's Sengoku Youko, which has become leagues more interesting after the second part. The guy is a fantastic storyteller.

Speaking of Sengoku Youko-- expect a new chapter soon.

samisig.jpg

#5 fatestitcher

fatestitcher

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:41 PM

Oh, I've read Hoshi no Samidare, don't worry about that one. It was actually the manga that pushed me to learn how to scanlate. That's what I meant by fluke-- I could've just assumed that Mizukami used everything he had with The Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer and he'd never be able to do something as good after that.

Now look at Spirit Circle, his latest manga. That thing is freaking brilliant-- and it's only like 7 chapters in. Then there's Sengoku Youko, which has become leagues more interesting after the second part. The guy is a fantastic storyteller.

Speaking of Sengoku Youko-- expect a new chapter soon.

I see, So what do you scanlate? Or whats your group or whatever?

I will get to Spirit Circle soon for sure. I'm sure I will love it.

And thats awesome to hear.

Posted Image

#6 Athos

Athos

Wandering Escapist

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

Hm...

Right now I'm doing random jobs for Maigo scans, but I'm also working on Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya for suimasenscans.

To be fair, Spirit Circle might be trying to cram a little too many names and information too quickly. It's like the guy had a good idea of how the story was gonna go from the beginning, but he didn't have time to pace it properly. Hoshi no Samidare had a lot of characters but they were easy to remember thanks to their corresponding animals, and Sengoku Youko had a small cast and plenty of time to introduce them.

I still love it to pieces, though.

samisig.jpg

#7 fatestitcher

fatestitcher

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:57 AM

Hm...

Right now I'm doing random jobs for Maigo scans, but I'm also working on Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya for suimasenscans.

To be fair, Spirit Circle might be trying to cram a little too many names and information too quickly. It's like the guy had a good idea of how the story was gonna go from the beginning, but he didn't have time to pace it properly. Hoshi no Samidare had a lot of characters but they were easy to remember thanks to their corresponding animals, and Sengoku Youko had a small cast and plenty of time to introduce them.

I still love it to pieces, though.

Nice, So how did you find a scan group or decide on a scan group?

I just read through Spirit Circle and I can see where your coming from since I had problems remembering all the names in Billy Bat just earlier today. The pacing is kind of weird seeing as the series only has eight past lives. So twenty five percent of the series could possibly be done with. The mangaka still went to bat with  great plot and I always love the intricacy of the powers he comes up with.  He always leads up to such climatic moments so I can still agree with your statement that he can do no wrong.

This is hyping me up for more.

Posted Image

#8 Athos

Athos

Wandering Escapist

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:58 AM

Same as everyone else-- I just work on series I want to see more chapters of. I only like a few titles from Maigo, but there's some people I know, so I like hanging out at their channel.

Eh... Mizukami Satoshi isn't that creative with the special powers. Everything's pretty basic stuff, very simple rules. You want intricate powers, you go JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. Last power he came up with consists of a giant motorcycle that freezes the area and charges at the victim whenever they open something, like a door, a cellphone, or even a wallet. Hunter x Hunter works too-- guy invented an entire freaking card game just to set up the background for an arc.

I also think Mizukami does payoffs really well, but he's just as much of a fan of anticlimaxes. By now he's mastered the art of what I like to call "supernatural slice of life". Just a whole bunch of weirdos hanging out... living their lives, utterly unimpressed by all the crazy suff going on around them. Something like the first story of Gecko Gecko, about a girl who has a giant frog for a boyfriend-- just because.

Edited by Athos, 23 January 2013 - 02:00 AM.

samisig.jpg

#9 fatestitcher

fatestitcher

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:30 AM

Same as everyone else-- I just work on series I want to see more chapters of. I only like a few titles from Maigo, but there's some people I know, so I like hanging out at their channel.

Eh... Mizukami Satoshi isn't that creative with the special powers. Everything's pretty basic stuff, very simple rules. You want intricate powers, you go JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. Last power he came up with consists of a giant motorcycle that freezes the area and charges at the victim whenever they open something, like a door, a cellphone, or even a wallet. Hunter x Hunter works too-- guy invented an entire freaking card game just to set up the background for an arc.

I also think Mizukami does payoffs really well, but he's just as much of a fan of anticlimaxes. By now he's mastered the art of what I like to call "supernatural slice of life". Just a whole bunch of weirdos hanging out... living their lives, utterly unimpressed by all the crazy suff going on around them. Something like the first story of Gecko Gecko, about a girl who has a giant frog for a boyfriend-- just because.

Maybe the powers aren't so complicated and vast but rather they are designed well. Nen and Greed Island are great ideas but look how much time Togashi has to spend revising and re-explaining the rules. keep in mind I do love HxH and all of the extensive worldbuilding but it interrupts the story when he has to go back and explain how his new rules change something, it just isn't efficient. I guess I am talking more about Hoshi no Samidare and the powers Mizukami Satoshi created for that series. They weren't made of some energy that can become anything but required the user to use the power they got flexibly in battle to become stronger.

Supernatural slice of life is a great way of explaining it. A lot of manga are defined by some twist they came for the setting rather than the characters. Mizukami Satoshi embraces the characters very well.

Can you link me to Gecko Gecko? Thats sounds great but I can't seem to find it.

Posted Image

#10 Athos

Athos

Wandering Escapist

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:39 AM

http://www.batoto.ne...-tanpenshuu-r79

It's just a bunch of short stories and one shots that weren't published for one reason or another. Nothing terribly interesting, but my favorite one so far has got to be The Man of Legend.

Yeah, I see what you mean. I guess the powers in Hoshi no Samidare are more flexible, whereas in Hunter X Hunter they're more elaborated. I still think the latter demands you to be more clever, though.

Edited by Athos, 23 January 2013 - 08:16 AM.

samisig.jpg

#11 fatestitcher

fatestitcher

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:14 AM

http://www.batoto.ne...y_vexed-scans/1

Posted Image

#12 Iron

Iron

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • LocationBeyond the wall

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:06 AM

I just got to the second part of the series. I like the way things are progressing. Way better than part one

#13 fatestitcher

fatestitcher

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

I liked the first part a lot too but the way the second was set up is pretty amazing.

Posted Image

#14 Athos

Athos

Wandering Escapist

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:14 PM

I just love the way they explain the Shogun's precognition skill. The guy's freaking King Crimson!

They're essentially using a very roundabout way to say that there is just no escaping fate. It's gonna happen and that's it. Just focus on the aftermath. Save all the people you can.

Pity he has to die, though. Badass swordsman overlord who can predict the future? That'd be a fun country to live in.

Edited by Athos, 29 January 2013 - 06:17 PM.

samisig.jpg

#15 Iron

Iron

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • LocationBeyond the wall

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:17 PM

Cool ability, but is his precognition only tuned towards his own possible actions/ futures or can he extend it to the surrounding, other people etc. Reminds me of Alex Verus. Alex can look into thousands possibilities of his own future. He can pick from the ones with the highest probability and then kinda mimick it. The way the author handles it kinda makes it a lot less hax. Good series check it out

#16 fatestitcher

fatestitcher

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:50 PM

http://www.batoto.ne..._by_vexed-scans

Yes!

• Iron likes this

Posted Image

#17 Athos

Athos

Wandering Escapist

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:10 AM

I had heard of this fabled 5 page spread from way back, but I really didn't take it seriously at the time...

To be perfectly honest, the scene wasn't any kind of big reveal or built up nearly enough to merit this absurdity, but it's still a sight to behold.

Edited by Athos, 13 February 2013 - 05:43 PM.

samisig.jpg

#18 Zeando

Zeando

Samurai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:10 AM

chapter 51 is out

finally the yoshiteru arc ended, it felt very dragged to me
really hope they'll join back into the story about jinka soon

FQZQm2p.png