1231 replies to this topic

#1 Vl731

Vl731

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5515 posts
  • LocationIn the House of Hades

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:00 PM

Kind of a general Gundam discussion thread since we don't have one just yet. There are plenty of series to talk about.

I guess though the main reason I wanted to create this was the fact that a new manga series will be coming out soon, and it will follow the man who has been the Captain of three Gundam Aces.

http://www.animenews...-as-protagonist

Hard to believe that the Bright Slap will be featured in his very own manga series

• fundapafNup likes this

MAL

Not a Toonami Faithfool.

"Ass Pull": Often the first term people use to show how dissatisfied they are with something before it can be explained.

"Bull shit": often the first term used when a person expresses their dissatisfaction with something and they don't like the explaination.

#2 Narubi

Narubi

Forever Dreaming

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5016 posts
  • LocationSitting alone in the dark, contemplating life.

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:11 AM

So Bright Noa will get a manga dedicated to him and his history Post CC?

Sounds nice, though I still hate his son Hathaway for killing Chan Agi in CC.

Edited by Yuber, 11 February 2013 - 03:11 AM.

#3 Satan

Satan

Crack Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:42 AM

I've always loved G Gundam. I collected a lot of the toys and model kits. Was easily my favorite Gundam series. Mobile Suite and Gundam Wing were great, too. I've kinda stopped caring about Gundam as a whole though. Didn't care for Seed or any of the newer series. 

neworig14157_zpsea5d2e00.png

#4 Vl731

Vl731

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5515 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:47 PM

The U.C. Century Gundam series has always been the best to me. I've liked the characters and stories in most of the series there, though Zeta and Double Zeta aren't really that great, to me. I know some love the Zeta series but I just couldn't enjoy them for some reason.

Wing was okay when I first saw it, was nice and flashy but then I started to realize how bad some of it was, with Heero always blowing himself up, surviving falls for hundreds of feet up, him being in a Leo and not being blown up when his Leo took the same damage as Leo's he has attacked in the past. The only Gundam Pilots I could really enjoy were maybe Duo and Trowa. I think they did a great job when they decided to sort of redo the series as Gundam OO, more likeable pilots and the story was better, though the designs for the fodder MS was lacking compared to the Fodder MS in Wing.

I really liked Turn A Gundam and After War Gundam X. Turn A Gundam surprised me because I wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much because of the design for the Gundam and other mecha in it. About the only bad thing might have been the ending and some points with Loran at parties... After War had a very likable cast and a good story as well as mcha designs that made it enjoyable. Seeing a story dealing with life after the infamous "colony drop" that seems to be a threat in most Gundam series was nice to see as well. Best of all it came down to the Pilot's skill and not some "new type". He's kind of like Amuro was in 0079 where you can see him evolve as a pilot but unlike Amuro he doesn't awaken Newtype powers.

SeeD, I didn't mind that much. SeeD by itself was a decent series. SeeD Destiny is when it went bad and fast. My biggest complaint with Destiny was that it nullified one of the more meaningful deaths of SeeD.

MAL

Not a Toonami Faithfool.

"Ass Pull": Often the first term people use to show how dissatisfied they are with something before it can be explained.

"Bull shit": often the first term used when a person expresses their dissatisfaction with something and they don't like the explaination.

#5 Shredow

Shredow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:11 PM

So as someone who may be interested in getting into the franchise, which series do you recommend? 

Preferably one that didn't come out twenty odd years ago.

#6 Vl731

Vl731

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5515 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:20 PM

So barring the series that helped to set up the UC franchise...

After War Gundam X, Turn A Gundam, 08th MS Team, Gundam OO, Gundam SeeD (ignore Destiny), Gundam Unicorn, and if you want over the top Gundam action, G Gundam.

Some are a little over the "20 year line" but the animation style shouldn't look as dated as the first 3 Gundam series, Mobile Suit Gundam, Zeta Gundam, and Double Zeta.

MAL

Not a Toonami Faithfool.

#7 Darthwin

Darthwin

Sardine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3197 posts
  • LocationThe Void

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:08 PM

Though zeta gundam is a pretty good series so you should check that one out

a23e6eac-0bb9-4711-9838-7b39c5f0527e_zps

#8 Vl731

Vl731

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5515 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:40 PM

I've seen it, wasn't a big fan of Kamile or the whole Psyco Gundam

MAL

Not a Toonami Faithfool.

#9 De Facto

De Facto

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationIn your heart

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:19 AM

G Gundam was so full of lovely camp and silly mech-meets-mysticism that I can't help but have a soft spot in my heart for it. I mean, if you can't watch the Erupting Burning Finger Sekiha Love Love Tenkyoken and not feel inspired, you just must not have a soul.

#10 Narubi

Narubi

Forever Dreaming

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5016 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:18 PM

^Meh the only time I really enjoyed G Gundam was when Natasha Zabigov was bathing and the female Suit Ups; aside from that the series didn't really interest me that much TBH.

#11 winter55

winter55

Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationSide 7

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:48 AM

So this is a Gundam General thread?

I like it

wintersig_zpse9a9cd70.png

Clicky

#12 winter55

winter55

Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationSide 7

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:12 AM

http://www.nyaa.eu/?...info&tid=411901

Enjoy.

Clicky

#13 Vl731

Vl731

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5515 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:21 PM

http://www.animenews...o-launch-in-may

New Gundam manga launching, not a whole lot of detail about what it will be about, yet. Odd name for it though, Gundam Far East Japan.

MAL

Not a Toonami Faithfool.

#14 FrostyMouse

FrostyMouse

Life

• Moderators
  • 3161 posts
  • LocationStamford Bridge

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:48 AM

I have to say that I quite liked 00.

ilhd1c.jpg

#15 Ren-san

Ren-san

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:15 PM

Can't wait to see what this new gundam manga is going to be about. 

00 was a good gundam series when it started out but the ending of season 2 and the movie which followed made me speechless. 

15871545849_286028ae7d_o.jpg

#16 Vl731

Vl731

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5515 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:35 PM

I had no real problems with how the series for 00 ended, but really wasn't too pleased with the movie. From what I remember when I watched it I kept thinking of Robotech/Macross since that was the series that mostly dealt with aliens fighting humans in giant robots. What i always liked about the Gundam series was the emphasis on human tragedy that occurs during the wars.

• Tokoya likes this

MAL

Not a Toonami Faithfool.

#17 winter55

winter55

Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationSide 7

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:50 PM

omg as if EXA wasn't bad enough... And speaking of manga.. I need muh Crossbone Ghost... 

Clicky

#18 Narubi

Narubi

Forever Dreaming

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5016 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:21 PM

00 was alright, but eh I dunno it kinda lost me more into it with the whole Psycho stuff and the fact that it was too similar to Gundam Wing  .... of which I liked a lot back in the day.

Though Universal Century was always good since it had some of my more favorite series and characters in it, course Zeta didn't come off too well for me (again the whole NewType stuff just .... yeah) due in part to the fact that there weren't many likable characters ... especially the MC Kamile (granted of course I did feel for the jerk with how his mother died). 

G-Gundam was kinda meh to me since the concept of fighting robots in favor of countries was already done a bit before it's release, and some of the stuff kinda threw me off (like the Sentai stuff, and Master Asia soloing a Mobile Suit with a loincloth or something).

Gundam Wing was a pretty cool series for me since while sure it had similar elements too MSG (like a Char look a like an somewhat similar past) I still found the concept and difference of POV pretty nice, especially since I just got off a major UC marathon lol. An yeah oddly it has some bad critics too it, but honestly I never really get what they're criticizing at all no matter how many times I go over the series.

Gundam X was okay, but wasn't exactly a something I feel I'd rewatch again anytime soon.

Other than that haven't seen any of the other stuff.

But back too Universal Century right quick; recently I saw Gundam Unicorn and while I must say the plot is interesting and the graphics are pretty cool .... I just really really hate Banagher Links, like seriously I hate preachy overly pacifistic dumbasses but damn did I just loathe Banagher at every moment he just talked, especially in regards to Mineva/Audrey.

Mineva: My name is Mineva Lao Zabi  

Banagher: NO!! Your name is Audrey, you are Audrey Burns you always have been!!!

Like seriously he's only known her for at best a few hours (at the start) and all the sudden acts like he's known her since the day she was born and thus could correct her on who she is an isn't, as well what's best for her ... errrrr.

Seriously I'd just love it if somebody just ran a beam saber through his fucking cockpit and end him right there an then, dude is just the worst. Plus should add that the Gundam Unicorn itself isn't all the impressive looking since it looks like a blocky glowing white turd ... yeah, but the other Mobile Suits are nice ... like the Sinanju and Kshatriya. Regardless Banagher just really sucks, and it'd be nice if even Amaro came back from the dead and kicked his ass left an right too finally taking over as MC in his place, cause for me he's just that bad.  

#19 Vl731

Vl731

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5515 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:17 PM

The reason I liked 00 was because it was like Wing but it told that story so much better then Wing ever could. It took the concept created back in Wing and did a much better job working with it. The characters were more likeable and knew what they were doing. They were fine being the "villains" as long as it helped the people of Earth work together

• Tokoya, FrostyMouse and ruggia like this

MAL

Not a Toonami Faithfool.

#20 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10678 posts
  • LocationWith my Khaleesi <3333

User's Awards

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:54 PM

The reason I liked 00 was because it was like Wing but it told that story so much better then Wing ever could. It took the concept created back in Wing and did a much better job working with it. The characters were more likeable and knew what they were doing. They were fine being the "villains" as long as it helped the people of Earth work together

You took the words right out of my mouth, 00 was one of the best plots I have ever seen, add that with characters and the awesome fight scenes I don't see why 00 gets as much heat as it done nowadays. Sestuna is like my all time favorite Gundam character by far and I LOVED 00 Riaser and Exia, plus the whole Trans-AM concept

iWo0nCc.gif

Nothing will stand in our way.....I will finish what you started....I will fulfill our destiny!

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users