• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3023 posts
  • Locationis a word

User's Awards

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:47 AM

Art Discussion

Talk about everything relevant to the Art field,

your favourite medium, your favorite artist, tools, etc. 

- Keep it tidy and respect your fellow OMF member

- Stick to the forum rules

"Art should comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable".

- Ceaser A. Cruz

• Lumi, lecaros and YoWid like this

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ Magic

#2 lecaros

lecaros

Combat Butler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

User's Awards

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:04 AM

Well, here goes.

Favorite Medium: Digital Arts
Tools: My trusty mouse (no tablet yet sadly), Adobe CS 5, Paint Tool SAI
Inspirational Artist: Vincent Van Gogh, Sugina Miki, Ryosio, Bruce Holwerda

Well, currently I'm more of a hobbyist than an actual artist. Creativity had never been my forte, I'm more of an analytical person. But I do love art, and I have an inner passion for it. Though, I have never had much chance to actively engage in art. Because of school and all those stuff.
In the near future, I hope to seriously pursue art as a career.

Right now I only know how to do some photo manipulation (that's how tags are made, essentially), lineart coloring and some beginner-level traditional drawing. My style and preference lean towards manga and anime, but I am exploring realism as well. I'd like to try my hands especially at photography and digital painting.

Well, onwards to discussion. What are your own ways to gather inspiration and ideas?
And do you pile up plenty of ideas and work from there, or do you instantly pour your newly acquired ideas on your canvas?

p/s: thanks Gnaggie for making this thread. you're awesome <3

• Gnag, YoWid and Velvetbrush like this

#3 Gnag

Gnag

(͠≖ ͜ʖ͠≖)

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3023 posts
  • Locationis a word

User's Awards

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:51 PM

Gathering inspiration?   Well obvious answer - PINTEREST!

Aha. That and just random patterns you find in your everyday life, like the flow of the lines on a tree.

Well and browsing around Behance gets anyone inspired. 

I never finish anything, I pile everything up, start it and never ever finish them. 

I was so desperate so I bought this book by Scott Belsky, "Making ideas Happen".

I couldn't even make reading the book happen, ahaha. 

How do you people make things happen?

• YoWid likes this

#4 daoko

daoko

Moe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

User's Awards

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:19 AM

I never get anything done. Look at my art thread. It's dead.
The only time I get something done is when I'm under pressure: art class assignments? Completely finished pieces.

With that same art class I often have to force inspiration, and I often do that by browsing art sites: certain imageboards, coolvibe, deviantart, some other personal resources and just life. It always works, so yah.

Ah, Impressionist painters inspire me to no end. *_*

• YoWid likes this

iI8JgRw.jpg

#5 CloudDreamer7

CloudDreamer7

Psycho-somatic Addict-insane

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationWhere the eagles cry

User's Awards

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:24 PM

i agree that pressure is the number one reason that forces people off their couches to actually do stuff.

for me, it depends. the only reason i will let sth unfinished will be because i have lost interest in it. and that usually happens only when i feel like i have overcome the challenging part of the process. So in my mind its completed whereas from the pov of a third party it would seem its partly finished. however most of the times, i do finish up things for completeness sake.  i guess, in the end, i dont like leaving loose ends; they kinda bug me.

plus i love that sense of achievement you get when you actually complete sth. it makes me feel that i didnt waste my time completely.

as for inspirations....again, it depends on the subject. most of the times, its comic books. but there have been quite a few times that I have found inspiration while browsing the pages of a History of Art book i did in school. the old paintings and sculpts of artists like Da vinci, Van gough etc can be very inspiring.

Strangely, i really cant remember the last time that i found inspiration in real life. I mean sure you can use faces or clothes of people you see in the street but other than that......nope.

• daoko and YoWid like this

w7WYqCl.gif

-- It's only after we've lost everything... that we're free to do anything --

#6 Gnag

Gnag

(͠≖ ͜ʖ͠≖)

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3023 posts
  • Locationis a word

User's Awards

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:09 PM

I came across this creative video explaining the basic history behind typography, made by Ben Barrett-Forest. 

It was really cute and if you're totally new to the art of typography then you might find that you'll even learn something. 

So I thought I'd share it. (; 

Spoiler

4:40. 

I love the bashing of Comic Sans, haha. 

Edited by Gnag, 14 May 2013 - 12:11 PM.

• Lone_ant, lecaros and YoWid like this

#7 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15483 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:59 PM

So I'm going to pick up learning to draw ... again.

And based on my readings, my plans to go step-by-step is this:

1. Learn to make straight lines. Lots of straight lines.
  2. Draw various 2D shapes: squares, rectangles, circles, triangles. Then various 2D polygons.
  3. Draw various objects only using the basic polygons (ex: ellipses, rhombuses, ovals).
  4. Practice 1, 2, and 3 point perspectives.
  5. First project will be drawing only buildings and streets in 1 and 2 point perspective.
  6. Second project will be drawing various objects as accurately as possible using basic shapes as a starting point
  7. Third project will be drawing buildings and streets in 3 point perspective.

And that's what I have so far. Any suggestions or changes I should consider before going forward? All advice (constructive of course) welcomed.

Edited by DarkNemesis, 17 June 2014 - 07:00 PM.

• YoWid likes this

Kubo's announcement will be his new work will be called Tide; not as strong as bleach but does its trolling in a more colorful fashion! - arcane_chaos

Spoiler

#8 Tom Ace

Tom Ace

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2979 posts
  • LocationBetween life and death.

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:58 PM

So I'm going to pick up learning to draw ... again.

And based on my readings, my plans to go step-by-step is this:

1. Learn to make straight lines. Lots of straight lines.
  2. Draw various 2D shapes: squares, rectangles, circles, triangles. Then various 2D polygons.
  3. Draw various objects only using the basic polygons (ex: ellipses, rhombuses, ovals).
  4. Practice 1, 2, and 3 point perspectives.
  5. First project will be drawing only buildings and streets in 1 and 2 point perspective.
  6. Second project will be drawing various objects as accurately as possible using basic shapes as a starting point
  7. Third project will be drawing buildings and streets in 3 point perspective.

And that's what I have so far. Any suggestions or changes I should consider before going forward? All advice (constructive of course) welcomed.

One the most important things for me (that cannot be stressed enough) is that you have fun with the current drawing/s, and have an intrest in what you are doing. If you are bored doing something it will take longer to learn.

I do have some tips for your points.

1. Try using your wrist for very short strokes, elbow for medium and shoulder for long clean lines, this takes a long time to master.

2./3. Add an arrow for your light source and shade the sides accordingly (assuming you didnt plan on it in the first place). Also remember reflected light.

The rest seems fine to me, if thats what you want to learn more of at this time.

If you want to draw characters, then anatomy needs to be on the top of your list. Perspective can be difficult with character drawing, but i find extreme foreshortening the most difficult.

You need to draw a LOT if you wanna get good. I started drawing three years ago (and i could not draw anything), however i was lazy, and the first two years i was thinking "i don't need to study and draw much", and i went the first year without drawing much of anything at all for 5 or so months. The second year i skipped drawing for a few months do to health and laziness. This past year i have made hundreds of drawings, most that people do not see, and i now look back and i wanna kick myself in the butt for not sticking to it those first two years. Just how far along would i be if i did?

So if there is a moral to that rant it would be that you stick to it, if you give up you will fail, but if you keep pushing yourself you will for a fact be very good at drawing in no time. Just remeber to have fun, if a subject bores you, change it up.

Lastly and most important!

Use reference!

Use reference!

Use reference!

Use reference!

Use reference!

It's not 'cheating', becuase you cannot drawing something if you don't know what it even looks like.

Im sure ill think of more things as they come, but that was just off the top of my head.

• DarkNemesis and YoWid like this

#9 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15483 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:40 PM

@Tom Ace, or really anyone can answer this.

When doing 2D perspective how do you handle vanishing points and distance? The closer the object the farther the vanishing points are? Or is it the farther away from eye level the farther the vanishing points are?

I'm having a hard time visually it.

Kubo's announcement will be his new work will be called Tide; not as strong as bleach but does its trolling in a more colorful fashion! - arcane_chaos

Spoiler

#10 Tom Ace

Tom Ace

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2979 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:11 AM

@Tom Ace, or really anyone can answer this.

When doing 2D perspective how do you handle vanishing points and distance? The closer the object the farther the vanishing points are? Or is it the farther away from eye level the farther the vanishing points are?

I'm having a hard time visually it.

Well it depends on how much perspective you are going for.

Most of the time the vanishing point is not even on the page you are working on, at least for me.

Is it a single point perspective? and are you using a horizon line? Need be be sure.  :D

Maybe i am too tired but i don't get @bold. Lets say you are doing one point perspective of a road and it has a car on it, the vanishing point will never change, however the car will go from tiny to IN YOUR FACE!!, yet it will always follow the vanishing point.

i have not done a lot of large perspective drawings so i am a bit noob at it.

Edited by Tom Ace, 16 July 2014 - 01:12 AM.

#11 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15483 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:53 AM

@Tom Ace

Well it depends on how much perspective you are going for.

Most of the time the vanishing point is not even on the page you are working on, at least for me.

Is it a single point perspective? and are you using a horizon line? Need be be sure.  :D

When I said "2D" I meant 2 point perspective.

Maybe i am too tired but i don't get @bold. Lets say you are doing one point perspective of a road and it has a car on it, the vanishing point will never change, however the car will go from tiny to IN YOUR FACE!!, yet it will always follow the vanishing point.

i have not done a lot of large perspective drawings so i am a bit noob at it.

1-point is easy in that respect. But 2-point is a bit harder. Because you can have objects close to you or objects above and below your eye level. According to the book I'm reading, "How To Draw What You See", the vanishing points can change for both.

Spoiler

#12 Tom Ace

Tom Ace

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2979 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:09 PM

@Tom Ace

When I said "2D" I meant 2 point perspective.

1-point is easy in that respect. But 2-point is a bit harder. Because you can have objects close to you or objects above and below your eye level. According to the book I'm reading, "How To Draw What You See", the vanishing points can change for both.

I have been using Manga Studio 5 and that program has a 1, 2 and 3 point ruler that is VERY helpful as you can see. Though i don't use it a lot, i normally just eye it in.  :shrug:

With me it's less about understanding and more about "feeling right". I would suggest keep reading your book and watch a few YouTube videos on perspective.

#13 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15483 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:50 PM

@Tom Ace

I would suggest keep reading your book and watch a few YouTube videos on perspective.

:(

Burn...

Spoiler

#14 Tom Ace

Tom Ace

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2979 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:17 PM

@Tom Ace

:(

Burn...

It's hard trust me. I've been drawing for over three years and i still have a lot to learn, you just need to stick with it! 

I may know some stuff about drawing but a am very bad at teaching.  :lol:

Chin up. Pen down.

#15 Tom Ace

Tom Ace

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2979 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 03:13 PM

I was thinking of creating a thread called "OMF Art Club" with the purpose of improving peoples ability to draw what you see. I would post an image/drawing and anyone who wants, needs to draw that same image digitally or traditionally and get as close to the original as possible (or maybe a stylized version), just the line art, no color needed and obviously no tracing allowed.

Is this something anyone would like? I would like to know. 

• YoWid likes this

#16 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15483 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 03:21 PM

I was thinking of creating a thread called "OMF Art Club" with the purpose of improving peoples ability to draw what you see. I would post an image/drawing and anyone who wants, needs to draw that same image digitally or traditionally and get as close to the original as possible (or maybe a stylized version), just the line art, no color needed and obviously no tracing allowed.

I think this would be pretty cool. I'm curious to know how it would be structured and how the learning process would look like. EX: I draw something and it looks nothing like the original. Frankly, it's bad. What steps would you take to get me as close to the original as possible?

• Tom Ace and YoWid like this

Spoiler

#17 YoWid

YoWid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1585 posts

User's Awards

Posted 27 January 2015 - 03:54 PM

I support this. I wanna improve my drawing skills which is currently virtually nonexistent Xd

In addition to drawing as close to the original, I think a section on sharing some tips and tutorials on traditional/digital drawings from personal experience would be great too.
  • Tom Ace likes this

Spoiler Music by Gazillions

another story for another day

#18 Tom Ace

Tom Ace

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2979 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 05:05 PM

I think this would be pretty cool. I'm curious to know how it would be structured and how the learning process would look like. EX: I draw something and it looks nothing like the original. Frankly, it's bad. What steps would you take to get me as close to the original as possible?

I am thinking up a structure, though it's not done. I was thinking of posting one new image every week, what i don't know is, should we follow a theme/flow, like focus on faces or complex shapes for a while then move on, or have a new totally different image every week, IE: draw a girl then a building then a tree. A week seems like a long time to me, however i'm not really at the beginner stage anymore, so i guess a week is okay unless people want more per week.

If someone  struggles with a drawing i think anyone can help by giving tips, like on symmetry, negative space, drawing in perspective.

I support this. I wanna improve my drawing skills which is currently virtually nonexistent Xd

In addition to drawing as close to the original, I think a section on sharing some tips and tutorials on traditional/digital drawings from personal experience would be great too.

Indeed. I am thinking i will post the picture to be drawn and my drawing of it and point out a few things some may not see. And others can do the same.

I will probably make a mock up of what it will be like and post it here. It may take me a hour or two from now (irl stuff needs to get done first).

#19 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15483 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 05:11 PM

My stick figure game is like Michael Jordan at his prime. But if you want me to start drawing faces right off the bat. Then yeah, we may have a problem.

It would probably be a good idea to have a poll and a thread to see where people are skill-wise.

If someone struggles with a drawing i think anyone can help by giving tips, like on symmetry, negative space, drawing in perspective.

Should we learn or know these things before attempting to draw people, buildings, landscape, etc?

• YoWid likes this

Spoiler

#20 Tom Ace

Tom Ace

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2979 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:51 PM

My stick figure game is like Michael Jordan at his prime. But if you want me to start drawing faces right off the bat. Then yeah, we may have a problem.

It would probably be a good idea to have a poll and a thread to see where people are skill-wise.

Should we learn or know these things before attempting to draw people, buildings, landscape, etc?

Oh no, i'm not talking about full blown faces off the bat. My first thought was to just have an ear to draw, its not to hard to draw and plays a big part of the head.

When i started drawing i never made stick figures or anything like that, i just googled an image and drew it the best i could in my sketch book. I have issues with stick figures being used as a starting point. You need to know anatomy before you even use stick figures correctly.

Here's some anatomy i have picked up!

How long are the arms? (the start of the hand should be at the bottom of the crotch)

How long are the legs? (the bottom of the feet to the crotch is almost equal as the top of the head to the crotch)

How big is the head? (well for an ideal male its 8 heads, female its around 7 and a half heads tall, manga normally have girls at 6 and a half heads tall boys around 7)

How wide are the shoulders (this is tricky, for a male its around three heads wide for a female its around 2 and a half to 3 heads wide, anime/manga have it more like 2 and half for male and 2 for female)

How far apart are the eyes? (normally its one eye apart)

Where are the elbows? (they should be close to the bottom of the rib cage)

How big are the ears? (they normally start at the bottom of the nose and go up the the bottom of the eyebrow as long as the eyebrow is relaxed)

Time for the Mock up? (i have no clue what i'm doing.....)

OMF Art Club

Here at the OMF Art Club we gather around every week to draw a new selected image to our best abilities, as well as discuss the image at hand and to improve at art!

We are not trying to create finished high quality art, we are here to improve. So whatever level you are at, attempt to draw the current image, and if you are struggling, post your drawing or question and i'm sure we can help!

In addition you only need to draw the lines of the selected image, no need to color, shade or crosshatch unless you want to do so. 

To pick next weeks image, leave your pick in the comments! (have a generic list of little to more complex images. IE: Girl/Boy Face, Eye, Ear, Full body, Legs, Arms, Hands)

This weeks drawing we have Yozora from Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai (the drawing's will probably not be this complex, it's all i have atm)

Spoiler

Here is my attempt. (kinda old and not finished but its the only copy drawing on my pc atm, and no time to finish it...)

Spoiler

Well that's all i have at this time.

I think i have come up with a solution to the different skill levels. We will have three images, easy, normal and hard, and you can pick what image you want to do.

Edited by Tom Ace, 27 January 2015 - 08:18 PM.

• YoWid likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users