#1 -JustMyself-

-JustMyself-

Crack Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationThere. Riiiiiiight there.

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:37 AM

Now that the poetry contest is up, we're gonna start the voting. Let me explain how to vote real quick.

Say we have 3 participants (If we don't I'll just make a regular poll.). Participant A, B, and C, that's what we'll call them for this demonstration.

The way you vote is you have a number 1, 2, and 3, kinda like 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places. And you pick who you liked best (Goes in 1), Second best (goes in 2), and Third best goes in 3.

Like this....

1. Participant B
2. Participant A
3. Participant C

Alright, now lets get this show on the road....

Rise and Fall by Nmaan

Spoiler

A poem by Oben.

Spoiler

A man world? by Zetruz

Spoiler

A poem by Tale

Spoiler

You're Nothing except Everything by ajh77

Spoiler

A poem by ckalibut345

Spoiler

He Kneels by Thread

Spoiler

Now another thing, if you vote, vote because you like the poem, not because of who wrote it.

Voting closes May 15th.

Please explain why you voted for them.

Edited by -JustMyself-, 30 April 2013 - 10:29 AM.

#2 zetruz

zetruz

Fisherman

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,355 posts
  • Location- research lab

User's Awards

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:06 AM

1. Tale  -  Interestingly succinct, and a fascinating ending that develops the rest. The duality tickles me. =)

2. Oben  -  As ephemeral as what it describes. Gorgeous and succinct - the prettiest poem of this round.

3. Thread  -  There are some gem-like phrasings in this one, and it's very coherent.  (And welcome back, ex-Jammerjoint!)

Edited by zetruz, 30 April 2013 - 09:50 AM.

Spoiler for the quotables!

Mun364G.png

#3 ckalibur345

ckalibur345

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:46 AM

1. Tale
2. Thread
3. ajh77

#4 Thread

Thread

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:31 AM

1. Tale - Dreams and fears all condensed to a handful of tight metaphors.  I think that the execution was weak in a few places, perhaps also because it might be too simple so as to dehumanize, but all in all a good piece.

2. Zetruz - The last two lines weaken your piece - for you have built a wonderful theme of the search for fulfilment and completeness, only to confuse and muddle it with a separate question of time.

3. Oben - I much prefer doing a lot with a few words than doing little with many.  While I worry that choosing a haiku is maybe too easy, you have made it effective at least, especially in characterizing mortality.

#5 gintokichimaru

gintokichimaru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • LocationDMV

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:26 AM

1) Tale -- I like what you said and how you said it so simply and yet so beautifully. I had to read the poem twice but I think I got it the second time.

2) Thread -- You excel at creating amazing imagery. I also like the ending line of each stanza although I wish there were more; pain, rain and gain seem too little to describe humanity

3) Nmaan -- I liked your poem a lot and liked it even more when I went back to re-read the first couple. However, you are inconsistent. Some parts are great wordcraft, imagecraft and others don't seem to work so well. I think the poem would have been more effective if you removed the rhymes

#6 Tale

Tale

Kakistocrat

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

User's Awards

3    3    2   

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:14 AM

1) Oben - Focused, short and effective. The last two words don't work very well for me, but this is the poem I liked most.

2) Thread - I liked the way you use words. "Skin budding", "life unchain" and so on. Put you second because I don't think the theme was brought out very well.

3) ajh77 - I thought you conveyed what you wanted to say rather well with the imagery, although some of it was a little hazy. 

#7 Oben

Oben

Dead On Arrival

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,154 posts

User's Awards

Posted 11 May 2013 - 01:17 PM

1. Ajh77 - I really liked this one, it feels (how to describe this?)... human both in terms of expressions and theme.

2. Tale - Well done.

3. Thread - Good use of words and theme, but the last lines of the stanzas seem a bit forced to me.

#8 Petite Fleur

Petite Fleur

~ Spider Lady - Kiri's Wife ~ Professional Cuddle Bug

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,888 posts

User's Awards

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:21 AM

1) Oben

2) Tale

3) Nmaan

I'm not some super huge poetry buff. So my reason is basically, Oben had the bestest flow of words to me, even if it was really simple, then Tale, then Nmaan, and then other peoples. Sorry, I'm not too good at this ;=;

2mGKRJi.png
▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂

Spoiler Quotes

#9 -JustMyself-

-JustMyself-

Crack Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:48 AM

Closed

#10 -JustMyself-

-JustMyself-

Crack Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:53 PM

-JustMyself- walks on stage. Taking his seat at a throne.

7 warriors of the pen stood in front of him. He stared lazily at each of them one by one.

"Hmph, You seven have climbed all the way to this point, the highest point of a warriors life, The OMF Poetry Competition. You have all done well but, alas, only one can become, The Warrior of warriors and wield the mighty pen, the Eraser of Ink, the only pen known to be able to erase mistakes, written and unwritten." (Make sense of that mothafuckas xd)

Looking up, he smiled as the planets aligned perfectly.

"It is time."

​With a snap of his finger, servants came out, bearing three chests. One Bronze, one Silver, and One Gold.

"Thread step forward"

A man stepped forward, his neck wearing many medal. He was a veteran of the competitions, a legend. JM nodded in his direction and grabbed the Bronze chest, walking to Thread and stopping in front of him.

"Thread, for your poem, He Kneels, you have been awarded the Bronze pen, use it wisely"

Jm opened the chest and allowed Thread to pull out....

Spoiler

Turning around and giving the chest to a servant he took the Silver chest from the next, he then turned towards the seven.

"Oben step forward"

Another man stepped forward, no medals hung from his neck, a newcomer. JM walked to him, yawning as he walked. (Heheh ;P)

"Oben for your poem that you decided not to name, you have been awarded Silver Pen, use it more wisely then Thread"

Jm opened the Silver chest. Oben reached in an pulled out...

Spoiler

Turning around he retrieved the Gold Chest, then spun around again and looked at the seven again.

"Tale step forward"

*Yet another man stepped forward. (They weren't lying about no woman on the internet.)A newcomer soon to be winner. JM walked to him.

"For your poem that, like oben, you did not name, you have been awarded the Eraser of Ink, you do not have to use it wisely for it can erase your mistakes. So go green and save some paper."

*Jm opened the chest. Tale reached in and pulled out....

Spoiler

Jm turned and gave the Gold Chest back to the servant who then ran off with the other servants. He then sat back down in his throne.

"You have all done well, and should be proud. So go home, be with your families, rejoice and be happy. Tale, speak with me privately late, you will be picking the theme of the next competition" 

JM burst into flames and disappeared from the room. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users