• Please log in to reply
1107 replies to this topic

#1101 ruggia

ruggia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 12:22 AM

Hey... Looking for something that is actually horror and not simply gore and violence. I want to feel some actual psychological suspense and get traumatized. It's not that I'm uncomfortable with gore, but it shouldn't be the main point.

I've recently realized that horror is in fact my REAL favorite genre, yet I've seen so little series that is worth calling horror.

If you recommend something like Deadman wonderland or Elfen Lied I will doubt the credibility of your sense of horror.

so the Higurashi series?

#1102 Vl731

Vl731

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts
  • LocationIn the House of Hades

Posted 22 March 2015 - 12:57 AM

Hey... Looking for something that is actually horror and not simply gore and violence. I want to feel some actual psychological suspense and get traumatized. It's not that I'm uncomfortable with gore, but it shouldn't be the main point.

I've recently realized that horror is in fact my REAL favorite genre, yet I've seen so little series that is worth calling horror.

If you recommend something like Deadman wonderland or Elfen Lied I will doubt the credibility of your sense of horror.

BioMeat Nectar (and just about anything by Fujisawa Yuki)

Emerging

Kamisama no Iutoori

Kansen Rettou

Manhole

Variante

Higanjima

• taichi likes this

MAL

Not a Toonami Faithfool.

"Ass Pull": Often the first term people use to show how dissatisfied they are with something before it can be explained.

"Bull shit": often the first term used when a person expresses their dissatisfaction with something and they don't like the explaination.

#1103 taichi

taichi

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,277 posts
  • LocationHaunted forum

Posted 22 March 2015 - 08:06 AM

so the Higurashi series?

One of the first series I've ever read/seen. Also happens to be my most favorite, and pretty much the reason why I love horror/psychological suspense so much.

So... yeah. Thanks anyway tho.

BioMeat Nectar (and just about anything by Fujisawa Yuki)

Emerging

Kamisama no Iutoori

Kansen Rettou

Manhole

Variante

Higanjima

Duly noted.

#1104 shadow_lord

shadow_lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 01:08 PM

YES That is the one. Thank you so much! It's a shame it only comes out once a month.

Edited by shadow_lord, 22 March 2015 - 01:08 PM.

#1105 Abu Dun

Abu Dun

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Locationthe Horse's Bone

Posted 27 March 2015 - 12:05 PM

Jigokuren

Gyo

everything from Ito Junji, really

The Voynich Hotel

Franken Fran

Parasyte

Blame

Official member of the Killer Kick Course SquadTM courtesy by Arsonist Joe

Nominate the OMF Top 100 Manga

currently reading:

Denki-Gai no Honya-san, Gin no Saji, Dorohedoro, One Punch-Man, Nisekoi, Magi, Vinland Saga, UQ Holder!

and many more

#1106 Metal Heart

Metal Heart

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
  • LocationMoonside

User's Awards

Posted 27 March 2015 - 02:35 PM

Try something by Matsumoto Jiro, it is not really horror, but it is dreamlike and macabre.

Fuan No Tane is a collection of both fun and creepy stories of about 3 pages each, pretty good.

Then I will go completely out of the medium and recommend you the web comic False Positive.

Thank you for reading this signature, this signature loves you.

Spoiler Everything you ever wanted to know about Metal Heart but were afraid to ask

If anyone is in the mood for some Smash Bros my friend code is 1118-0339-4355.

#1107 Raiden

Raiden

World Champion :3

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationAt the Top of the Football World

Posted Yesterday, 06:23 PM

Is there any good action adventure that's been released in the past 3 years or so that I'm not reading? I say 3 years, as about 150 chapters is about the limit of what's reasonable to be able to catch up to, without getting burned out, for example I got stuck at about chapter 120 for Nisekoi for about 6 months, and I've been stuck at chapters 139 and 116 for both Rave Master and Zetman for about 2 months (Zetman is actually really good, I would recommend it, it's nice to have a running series that feels old school, really quite refreshing). So basically any action adventure currently running that's up to 150 chapters, 50 or so for a monthly if the chapters are nice and long). I'm reading/meaning to catch back up to:

Boku No Hero (duh, it's greatness)

Area D (was following up until around chapter 70, will pick it back up soon enough)

UQ Holder! (The last arc was excellent, really really well done and enjoyable, a manga that keeps getting better)

Nanatsu No Taizai (The set up in this manga is greatness, probably my most anticipated release alongside Boku ATM)

Owari No Seraph (The main characters are both annoying, but I'm a sucker for Vampires, and I really like that both sides are seemingly dodgy)

Terra Formars (recently caught back up with this one, having read the first 30 or so chapters as they came out, forgot what a great series it was)

Soul Cartel (Another manga that keeps getting better, again I have picked this up and dropped it a couple of times due to an iffy start IMO, but fight through it gets a lot better)

Black Haze (I was getting really close to dropping this but it's recently gotten amazing again, really wanna learn more about the demons, and it needs some world building, but that's fine it's still a young series using school setting to get the wheels rolling, but it's time to break free from the school)

Yamada (Not really adventure, but decent action, dropped this at like chapter 60, will have to pick back up soon)

World Trigger (The most recent arc has been great, really really enjoyed it, not so keen on the art style, nor the neighbors in the most recent arc looking like Akatsuki but whatever, it's clean and the story is ace)

Sousei No Onmyouji (I hate the forced romance of it, just really want the lass to die, but the story is interesting and I like the art, so going to keep track of this one)

I think that's pretty much it, I know there are a couple of webtoons I've forgotten about, but I'd be grateful is somebody recommended either so I could catch up, and really want recommendations for other things, some more mature things would be greatly appreciated :) I really need to start a reading list haha

I don't see Psyren on that list, yet it is one of the greatest action-adventure manga out there^^ Though it is already finished with 145 chapters :) Also no Fullmetal Alchemist? That you should read too.

Also I would recommend Magi, but it is already at 260 chapters :/ Though it is really great!

My last recommendation is Blood Lad :) It is a fun and action-packed Seinen (that feels actually more like shounen and also makes a lot of references to pop culture), though ti only comes out  monthly I think (and scanlation isn't particular fast too...) 

President and Founder of the Roronoa Zoro Fanclub

Zoro_02.png

Nominations for the 2014 OMF GAME AWARDS have started!!!

Spoiler

#1108 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,551 posts

Posted Today, 08:25 AM

I don't see Psyren on that list, yet it is one of the greatest action-adventure manga out there^^ Though it is already finished with 145 chapters :) Also no Fullmetal Alchemist? That you should read too.

Ongoing and in the last 3 years...

Want to debate match-up?

[Primary Tournament] FINAL: Donquixote Doflamingo vs God Enel

Spoiler Top 10 Male Manga Characters Overall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users