Photo

SteamJunkie's Art Place

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
61 replies to this topic

#1 steamjunkie

steamjunkie

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:38 AM

Hello OMF,

I've been wanting to make a thread for a while (since the old forums), but I've just now built up the courage to make my own. I'll be posting things here that I've drawn randomly and whatnot. I hope that you like them. Don't be afraid to comment or something like that... maybe.

Spoiler COLOR

Spoiler BW

wo5u8.jpg

#2 Adam Masterman

Adam Masterman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:04 AM

Hey man,

Welcome back (took me awhile to re-start on the new forum too).  Nice stuff here; diggin' those Johnny Quest heads, and the Bacardi piece is money.

#3 steamjunkie

steamjunkie

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:03 PM

Thanks a lot! I really appreciate those words... especially coming from a fellow artist.

wo5u8.jpg

#4 steamjunkie

steamjunkie

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:32 PM

In celebration of Team 7's reunion I thought i'd try to draw them. I hope you like it.

Spoiler

Edited by steamjunkie, 22 September 2013 - 03:36 PM.

wo5u8.jpg

#5 steamjunkie

steamjunkie

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:28 PM

I'm re-watching Naruto Shippuden and I just remembered how much I love these two characters, so I tried to draw them really quick. I hope you like it.

Spoiler Sai and Yamato

wo5u8.jpg

#6 CloudDreamer7

CloudDreamer7

Psycho-somatic Addict-insane

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

User's Awards

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:43 AM

these are all really good, i got to admit. granted this isnt my preferred style as it looks too cartoony but i still dont have anything to critique on (proportions and coloring etc). so keep up the good work.

you should take part in the art contest too !

w7WYqCl.gif

-- It's only after we've lost everything... that we're free to do anything --

#7 steamjunkie

steamjunkie

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:59 PM

these are all really good, i got to admit. granted this isnt my preferred style as it looks too cartoony but i still dont have anything to critique on (proportions and coloring etc). so keep up the good work.

you should take part in the art contest too !

My art does look kinda childish, but my goal has always been to make Shounen Manga. Thanks for the kind words. That means even more coming from someone who doesn't go for that style in the first place.

Okay! Rob asked me to try and draw an eel fishman. Being a One Piece fan myself, I kinda tried to put some of myself into this drawing, but still make it feel like Oda's work.

Spoiler Eel Fishman

wo5u8.jpg

#8 Rob

Rob

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:09 PM

Dude, what did you do? You exceeded what I was expecting by a shit load. Oda probably possessed you while you were drawing this or something. Nice work man, nice work.

He reminds me of Arlong and Tansui. Great job dude, really appreciate it.

Edited by Rob, 28 September 2013 - 06:11 PM.

#9 ilikewaffles

ilikewaffles

Hime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

User's Awards

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:08 PM

Holy @#*%!

I love your art style. It's like wicked cool, and your coloring is awesome. Keep it up! :)

Clicky clicky  :psyduck: 

Spoiler

#10 steamjunkie

steamjunkie

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:11 AM

Hey everyone,

I guess it's time for an update of some kind. Here are some more color drawings that I've done recently.

Spoiler Superhero

Spoiler Alien Warrior

Spoiler Earth Guardian

Holy @#*%!

I love your art style. It's like wicked cool, and your coloring is awesome. Keep it up!  :)

Whoa Thank you very much! I really appreciate that. Those words... touched my soul. My drawing style changes from drawing to drawing, so I apologize for my indecisiveness. Thanx for looking! ...and commenting...and being nice.

Dude, what did you do? You exceeded what I was expecting by a **** load. Oda probably possessed you while you were drawing this or something. Nice work man, nice work.

He reminds me of Arlong and Tansui. Great job dude, really appreciate it.

HAHA Thanx for the kind words. Oda is busy making millions, he doesn't have time to possess someone like me LOL. I was so close to putting the Sun Pirate symbol on him, but I didn't know if that would go against his backstory, so I just chose not to do that :) 

Edited by steamjunkie, 07 November 2013 - 08:17 AM.

wo5u8.jpg

#11 CloudDreamer7

CloudDreamer7

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

User's Awards

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:31 PM

the first and third one are certainly very good. especially the coloring and anatomy. in the second one, i d say that you overdid it with the hand and the palm; both look somewhat longer/larger than what would have been proportionally correct. Still the coloring is top notch in that one too.

I guess the only thing that truly bothers me in all of them is that the way the colors have been matched (and the number of colors used) dont produce an aesthetically pleasant design but they kinda feel like "random" choices. for instance, i can see the superman/hero reference-joke with the underwear and cape on the tree guardian, but the choice of colors still kinda ruins it. Even more prominent is the choice of the green color on the "hero's" gloves in the first picture. White could have been a better choice, albeit admittedly less interesting.

Ironically, the one that seems to be the better out of the bunch in that aspect is the alien, however i d say that the skin color doesnt seem to match very well with the colors of the rest (too reddish) while he also seems to be overloaded with loads of different colors. I find that 3 colors are usually enough to make a uniform look both cool and interesting while avoiding being branded as a "clown suit" (for lack of a better expression).

oh and let me just say that the detail on the shoulder pads/armor on the alien warrior is astonishing and deserves to be praised.

Edited by CloudDreamer7, 08 November 2013 - 06:31 PM.

w7WYqCl.gif

#12 steamjunkie

steamjunkie

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 04:09 AM

the first and third one are certainly very good. especially the coloring and anatomy. in the second one, i d say that you overdid it with the hand and the palm; both look somewhat longer/larger than what would have been proportionally correct. Still the coloring is top notch in that one too.

I guess the only thing that truly bothers me in all of them is that the way the colors have been matched (and the number of colors used) dont produce an aesthetically pleasant design but they kinda feel like "random" choices. for instance, i can see the superman/hero reference-joke with the underwear and cape on the tree guardian, but the choice of colors still kinda ruins it. Even more prominent is the choice of the green color on the "hero's" gloves in the first picture. White could have been a better choice, albeit admittedly less interesting.

Ironically, the one that seems to be the better out of the bunch in that aspect is the alien, however i d say that the skin color doesnt seem to match very well with the colors of the rest (too reddish) while he also seems to be overloaded with loads of different colors. I find that 3 colors are usually enough to make a uniform look both cool and interesting while avoiding being branded as a "clown suit" (for lack of a better expression).

oh and let me just say that the detail on the shoulder pads/armor on the alien warrior is astonishing and deserves to be praised.

Thanks a lot for the critique!

The Alien Warrior is definitely suffering from giant arm syndrome HAHA. Yeah I still have a long ways to go in the world of anatomy. The detail on the shoulder pads was actually gonna be a glowing light, so I didn't draw it as detail, but as an outline for that light that never happened.

My coloring is actually the reason I've been doing so many digital drawings recently. I like to consider myself more of a traditional artist, but digital is better for practice because you don't ever run out of ink HAHA. I do feel that my colors are a bit random at times. I should probably practice a bit with colors that aren't so vibrant.

The coloring on the Superhero drawing was intentionally random though. I wanted him to run around wearing a very tacky outfit for the purpose of hilarity, so I purposely chose ugly colors on that one.

wo5u8.jpg

#13 steamjunkie

steamjunkie

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:42 AM

Okay! It's time for another mini-update.

This time I drew the main character for a story I want to do, but probably wont do, because that's how I am. Although for the time being I was convinced enough to draw him. As you can probably tell his design is not final. Anyways... His name is Randa Burlesby and he is a pervert (like all of my other characters).

Spoiler RANDA

wo5u8.jpg

#14 CloudDreamer7

CloudDreamer7

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

User's Awards

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:52 AM

since this isnt final i can go all out in my critique =)

coloring is very good as always, and i dont spot any major issues with the art quality (maybe make his hand smaller in the middle picture, he is a kid after all). I can definitely see the naruto references in the choice of colours btw which are also very nice and vibrant.

what i definitely would change is most of the top clothes. for starters, i see he is wearing a belt, so whats the point of wearing suspenders as well ? Then, that.......shirt/top/vest-like thing he is wearing just looks..... questionable, stylistically (to put in a more eloquent way). i d keep the same clothe type and extend it to cover the torso while making it either sleeveless or short sleeved. As a matter of fact, i just noticed that there's a slight discrepancy between the front and back pctures, as in the first one there appear to be creases on the sleeves (hence implying that the cloth is somewhat loose) but in the latter, it seems to have a rather body-hugging fit on his body. So you need to decide which one of the two you want (i d go for the more fitted one as it provides more range of motion theoretically plus it looks more athletic).

minor things, really. overally this is pretty good, as always.

w7WYqCl.gif

#15 steamjunkie

steamjunkie

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:48 PM

since this isnt final i can go all out in my critique =)

coloring is very good as always, and i dont spot any major issues with the art quality (maybe make his hand smaller in the middle picture, he is a kid after all). I can definitely see the naruto references in the choice of colours btw which are also very nice and vibrant.

what i definitely would change is most of the top clothes. for starters, i see he is wearing a belt, so whats the point of wearing suspenders as well ? Then, that.......shirt/top/vest-like thing he is wearing just looks..... questionable, stylistically (to put in a more eloquent way). i d keep the same clothe type and extend it to cover the torso while making it either sleeveless or short sleeved. As a matter of fact, i just noticed that there's a slight discrepancy between the front and back pctures, as in the first one there appear to be creases on the sleeves (hence implying that the cloth is somewhat loose) but in the latter, it seems to have a rather body-hugging fit on his body. So you need to decide which one of the two you want (i d go for the more fitted one as it provides more range of motion theoretically plus it looks more athletic).

minor things, really. overally this is pretty good, as always.

Yeah. When I was close to done I noticed that the colors were close to Goku, Naruto and Toriko's outfits, but I was kinda happy with it by that point, so I didn't wanna change it. I have a mild Overall/Suspenders addiction, so I always try to throw that on my characters. I also really like belts HAHA. The shirt thing is kind of like a future version of Ashitaka's sleeve guard thing in Princess Mononoke, so I'm pretty adamant about it being long sleeved. Randa is kind of a bishounen/ambiguous type character, so I wanted to show more of his body so that people never get confused about him being a girl on first glance. I could probably give those things a try though!

Yes! I purposely drew the back and front differently because I had the thought (mid-drawing) to try out a tight UnderArmour-type version of the "shirt". If I decide to put him in the same universe as another one of my characters then I will definitely use the tight version. This is my first time drawing the character, so there are tons of things I still have to figure out. I hate his shoes still and I'm not even sure if he has a sword at this point. Thanks for your critique though. I'm glad that you noticed those things.

wo5u8.jpg

#16 steamjunkie

steamjunkie

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:48 PM

Okay it's been a long while since I've updated this thing. I would like to share a few things I've done since the last time.

Spoiler OC RULE 63

Spoiler OC Cartoon

Edited by steamjunkie, 23 December 2013 - 03:48 PM.

wo5u8.jpg

#17 Soldado Muerto

Soldado Muerto

Hime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:37 PM

Man, you're incredibly talented. Just looking at your art makes me lose my motivation. Keep up the great work! ;)

Okay! It's time for another mini-update.

This time I drew the main character for a story I want to do, but probably wont do, because that's how I am. Although for the time being I was convinced enough to draw him. As you can probably tell his design is not final. Anyways... His name is Randa Burlesby and he is a pervert (like all of my other characters).

Totally random, but my name is Randa! :aww:

fdczr6.jpg

"Arwen, daughter of Elrond, in whom it was said that the
likeness of Lúthien had come on earth again; and she was called Undómiel,
for she was the Evenstar of her people..."

#18 steamjunkie

steamjunkie

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:53 PM

Man, you're incredibly talented. Just looking at your art makes me lose my motivation. Keep up the great work! ;)

Totally random, but my name is Randa! :aww:

I'm not good enough to make you lose motivation. Yusuke Murata should make you lose motivation, but not I. :) We have to keep at it because one day those powerful old people are gonna die and it'll be up to us to entertain people with our whimsical pictures. Also... Your name being Randa: a random name I (thought I) made up for one of my characters is probably the best thing I've ever heard in my entire life. And Also...Again... Thanks for all the likes.

wo5u8.jpg

#19 steamjunkie

steamjunkie

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:29 PM

Hello Everyone

It's definitely been a while since I've posted anything. I haven't been drawing too much these days, but I'm trying to get back into it, so I thought I'd upload those attempts here. 

Spoiler Face Sketch Dump

Spoiler Wacom Sketches

Spoiler Wacom Color Sketch Boy

wo5u8.jpg

#20 Gattsu Pozu

Gattsu Pozu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:51 PM

Dude, you're awesome. :psyduck:  Keep em coming!