Photo

Cartoon Discussion (Part Trois)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
386 replies to this topic

#1 Vl731

Vl731

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,535 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:18 PM

So, seems like we must have reached the post/page cap in the other topic, but no new topic was made. Can't give the last few posts but they can be found here

Like last time, discuss cartoons here. Be it American/French/Italian, anything short of "Japanime".

MAL

Not a Toonami Faithfool.

"Ass Pull": Often the first term people use to show how dissatisfied they are with something before it can be explained.

"Bull shit": often the first term used when a person expresses their dissatisfaction with something and they don't like the explaination.

#2 Narubi

Narubi

Forever Dreaming

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,108 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:23 PM

So just recently I found out there was a six episode Black Panther animated series made some years ago. which caught me by surprise since I never knew it existed till a few days ago. But after finding out about it I went and watched all six episodes of the series and found it to be pretty good.

Animation was a bit odd to work with since it felt like I was watching a motion comic or such, but good non than less. But music and voice acting were great IMO, an the plot was well done (course I believe it was said that the plot was based on a BP comic arc in 2005, with some changes of course).

Only thing that bugged me was how bad other Marvel heroes looked, I mean the X-Men seemed like a joke (poor Nightcrawler), Captain America was fodderized (granted Ross did say his experience wasn't as seasoned as his later in time self, but still he kinda seemed weak an went down relatively easily despite being some "Super Soldier"), and Storm seemed a bit flat an irrelevant except just to give T'Challa some means of romantic perks if not for others to go on about how she'd be a good wife for T'Challa. Granted that this series is about the Black Panther and thus Wakanda as well, and so we can't have others really outshining or seeming overall superior to BP, but they didn't have to be made out looking that bad IMO. 

Show me the way to go home - I'm tired and I want to go to bed
I had a little drink about an hour ago - And it’s gone right to my head
Wherever I may roam - On land or sea or foam
You can always hear me singing this song
Show me the way to go home.

#3 Satan

Satan

Crack Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:59 PM

Half of those shows look pretty good. 

neworig14157_zpsea5d2e00.png

#4 Vl731

Vl731

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,535 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:12 AM

So turns out I missed two episodes of Ultimate spider-man. First had Arcade taking over a bunch of tech to try and launch nukes around the world.

Second episodes was titled "Blade and the howling Commandos" and it came complete with the typical "there are worst threats out here tonight" "like what?" "ME!"

And seriously, a werewolf that has the name "Jack Russel"?

MAL

Not a Toonami Faithfool.

"Ass Pull": Often the first term people use to show how dissatisfied they are with something before it can be explained.

"Bull shit": often the first term used when a person expresses their dissatisfaction with something and they don't like the explaination.

#5 Satan

Satan

Crack Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:24 AM

^
I don't know about that lame show, but I've been enjoying Spectacular Spider-Man. 

#6 Vl731

Vl731

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,535 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:39 AM

^
I don't know about that lame show, but I've been enjoying Spectacular Spider-Man. 

Glad to see you enjoying SSM, was a great show that got cut short. What episode are they on now?

MAL

Not a Toonami Faithfool.

#7 Satan

Satan

Crack Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:11 AM

Glad to see you enjoying SSM, was a great show that got cut short. What episode are they on now?

Episode 4 comes on Saturday. 

#8 Narubi

Narubi

Forever Dreaming

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,108 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:35 AM

So turns out I missed two episodes of Ultimate spider-man. First had Arcade taking over a bunch of tech to try and launch nukes around the world.

Second episodes was titled "Blade and the howling Commandos" and it came complete with the typical "there are worst threats out here tonight" "like what?" "ME!"

And seriously, a werewolf that has the name "Jack Russel"?

Those episodes were okay, but really not that great. Just nothing really innovative or so.

Saw the AA episode where everyone hulked out, which was kinda good of an episode IMO.

But anyways in regards to the Marvel shows, is there any reason why they're airing one new episode of one series on one weekend and another on the next instead of just airing new episodes of each on the same weekend morning?

#9 Vl731

Vl731

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,535 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:43 PM

No idea, I dropped AA some time ago and I had noticed how random the USM premieres seemed to be. I guess the only reason why they might be going every other week is to stretch them out more. But, the USM with Blade was an hour long, so that could be why it was aired separate this time around.

MAL

Not a Toonami Faithfool.

#10 Narubi

Narubi

Forever Dreaming

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,108 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:22 PM

No idea, I dropped AA some time ago and I had noticed how random the USM premieres seemed to be. I guess the only reason why they might be going every other week is to stretch them out more. But, the USM with Blade was an hour long, so that could be why it was aired separate this time around.

That seems like the only reason, as annoying as it is.

Was it a complete hour long thing or just two episodes merged together, cause I saw the first part of that story on the repeat of a Thursday before the coming hour long Sunday time?

#11 Vl731

Vl731

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,535 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:49 PM

When it "premiered" it was probably done all as one episode, but reruns will have it broken into two episodes. Looking at the DVR recording it's all 1 episode. Same thing happened with other shows like Korra, Avatar, and Thundercats

MAL

Not a Toonami Faithfool.

#12 Vl731

Vl731

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,535 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:43 PM

I honestly feel sorry for Hook-fang. He has one of the worst Riders ever. Not even Barf and Belch have it as bad as Hook-fang and the Twins are idiots. I know Snot-lat has a pretty demanding and equally stupid father to make happy, which makes this whole episode a little sadder.

Though the idea they came up with doesn't seem practical. I mean I could understand if they were right next to each other but to try and using them as a compass just doesn't seem possible since it looked like it depend on them seeing each other. Yeah, was surprised to see how big that one Fire Wrym was.

What ended up happening was pretty touching. Makes me wonder if that's what normally happens or if she did that because of what Hook Fang and Snot-lat were willing to do for each other.

MAL

Not a Toonami Faithfool.

#13 alekos23

alekos23

Back?

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 05:46 PM

saw the two season 2 episodes of the TNMT 2012.

Spoiler

#14 Satoshi

Satoshi

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

User's Awards

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:02 PM

DoB was pretty good. I feel that it provided some interesting background to flesh out Snotlout's character. Before seeing the ep, I really disliked him (I'm a Hiccup fan, obviously), but the ep made it feel that Snotlout is the way he is because of his father. Going into the ep, I did not think I would like it because I could tell that it was mainly a Snotlout episode, but it was pretty interesting and I give the ep writers and voice actors credit; the ending was quite sad until it all resolved.

I'm really looking forward to this Thursday's ep, though. Anyone catch that preview at the end? This is an Astrid ep. Now if they just showcase some of her background, that would be great.

HTTYD2Satoshi_zpse95b34d5.jpg

"What d'ya think, Bud? You wanna give this a shot?"

"Toothless...it'll be fine."

Wanna know more about me? Come check out my Question Time thread! 

Spoiler Fun SoT Conversations...and Probably More Eventually

Current sig image made by: ME

#15 Narubi

Narubi

Forever Dreaming

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,108 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:40 PM

http://www.comicvine...14/1100-147451/

Well that didn't take long XD

#16 Vl731

Vl731

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,535 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:53 PM

Well it's just two months... I think they've done similar with other shows, mostly the action ones, around this time of year in the past. CN hates action shows and they are always the first to go since their rebranding as comedy...

MAL

Not a Toonami Faithfool.

#17 Narubi

Narubi

Forever Dreaming

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,108 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:15 PM

Well it's just two months... I think they've done similar with other shows, mostly the action ones, around this time of year in the past. CN hates action shows and they are always the first to go since their rebranding as comedy...

Not sure if they have or not, all I know is that they did this before and then came back only to do it again in no time an then cancellation happens. Though can't say I really care about this as I did YJ since BtB never really did much to catch my interest.

Seems that way TBH, good action out and more comedy crud in. Wouldn't be surprised if Ben 10 becomes they're only action cartoon to air at all in due time, until they can't milk much more out of it an then kill it like they do everything else.

#18 AndrewR5D4

AndrewR5D4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,551 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:17 AM

I liked Gen Rex more than Ben 10 if we're talking about CN's action block. 

#19 Satan

Satan

Crack Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:15 PM

I think most of us did. It had a pretty original premise. And I loved the skater punk feel of it. I remember one episode was even an ode to Silent Hill. 

#20 Vl731

Vl731

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,535 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:02 PM

As I've said before, I really don't mind Ben 10, up until a certain part of Alien Force it was pretty good. Then Omniverse came around and ditched half the main cast and brought in a "partner" for Ben and it just kind of went down hill. I did enjoy Generator Rex, was fun to watch and was pissed when CN yanked it off the air and only showed the last 5 or so episodes nearly a year later...

The crossover movie was interesting though.

Onto Dragons: Defenders of Berk.

Spoiler

MAL

Not a Toonami Faithfool.