227 replies to this topic

#1 FrostyMouse

FrostyMouse

Life

• Moderators
  • 3,158 posts
  • LocationStamford Bridge

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:07 PM

Post here to recommend, discuss, or ask about fanfiction.

M-rated fanfics are partially restricted.  OMF is a PG-13 forum.

Clarification:

Regarding the M-rated stories. Yes you can recommend them and talk about as long as they comply to the following:

1. No sex, period, what so ever. Implied sex is fine, lemon scenes are not. Non-negotiable. Lemons are never needed for good writing, they exist solely for private bedroom uses. A warning to all writers and fans: Sex Scenes are actually banned on FF.net and adding them to your story there will most likely result in your story being deleted. These kinds of stories are still being purged from the site so many stories containing them may be deleted. Stories containing sex should actually be labeled MA (Mature Adult), which is a step above M (Mature) and materials of that rating are banned on here and there.

2. No explicitly detailed scenes of torture and gore. Writing about Dexter is fine, but going into too much detail about him cutting people up is not. That means you can have violence and blood as that usually happens in most stories that feature combat/war/etc. Just don't go overboard.

3. No adult/minor pairings regardless of the universe unless the minors in question are at least 16-17 years old (average age of consent everywhere). We do not condone child abuse in anyway, not even in fictional stories (unless it involves proper punishment for a crime). That applies even to stories like Naruto, which has essentially child soldiers. This rule is not negotiable as it most likely also goes against the ToS of our service providers and we do not wish to be shut down.

Fanfic sites: Adultfanfiction,net is banned due to it being a site mostly for written erotica as are any sites with visible NSFW (Not Safe For Work or Erotic) -advertisements. Other hosting sites are still acceptable though, but we would appreciate if you'd use sites that don't require registration for reading as that tends to upset and drive away many potential readers.

• larorasp likes this

ilhd1c.jpg

#2 Liar

Liar

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:08 PM

Why are M-Rated fanfics not allowed?

#3 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,861 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:48 PM

That does seem to be an odd rule to have. I would think you'd either a have separate thread for that or require the poster to explicitly say it is M-rated.

Kubo's announcement will be his new work will be called Tide; not as strong as bleach but does its trolling in a more colorful fashion! - arcane_chaos

Spoiler

#4 FrostyMouse

FrostyMouse

Life

• Moderators
  • 3,158 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:51 PM

Well, those are the rules that we'd gone with in the past based on the PG-13 vBulletin policy.

Basically, just follow the rules that you'd followed back on the old OMF.  So, no explicit scenes in a fanfic, all of that.

ilhd1c.jpg

#5 Liar

Liar

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:52 PM

Well, there are some good fanfics out there that are rated M, but that's mostly because of violence and whatnot. I think you're referring to the sexually explicit material, yeah?

#6 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,861 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:54 PM

Well, those are the rules that we'd gone with in the past based on the PG-13 vBulletin policy.
Well to be fair, this isn't vBulletin. THIS. IS. ....invision :)

Basically, just follow the rules that you'd followed back on the old OMF.  So, no explicit scenes in a fanfic, all of that.
Since the rules are being streamlined and changed somewhat. I hope the staff revisits this rule (and changes it).

Kubo's announcement will be his new work will be called Tide; not as strong as bleach but does its trolling in a more colorful fashion! - arcane_chaos

Spoiler

#7 FrostyMouse

FrostyMouse

Life

• Moderators
  • 3,158 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:51 PM

Well to be fair, this isn't vBulletin. THIS. IS. ....invision :)
 Since the rules are being streamlined and changed somewhat. I hope the staff revisits this rule (and changes it).

I know it's IPB, not vBulletin... ;)

We're still a PG-13 forum, however.

I need to make up an Otaku Chat MLoD anyway. :)

ilhd1c.jpg

#8 Hadz-x

Hadz-x

Desolation comes upon the sky--

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • LocationEngland

User's Awards

2    2    2   

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:50 PM

I thought we could discuss M-rated fics (as long as we skip over the M-rated bits in detail), and just not link to them. Kinda how the discussion works with seinin and stuff that's not PG13 or whatever?

Banner6.jpg

[Fanfic Recs] [My Anime List] [My Manga List] [Writing Resources List]

Spoiler

#9 Narubi

Narubi

Forever Dreaming

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,888 posts
  • LocationSitting alone in the dark, contemplating life.

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:55 PM

M-rated fanfics are not allowed to be discussed or linked to.

So that means if I were to make a more serious an mature style Naruto invisionment in Fanfic Form, that I couldn't share it or talk about it with others here :(

#10 FrostyMouse

FrostyMouse

Life

• Moderators
  • 3,158 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:17 PM

Well, for the moment, I'm just sticking with the rules that we had on OMF 2.0.

How is this foreign?

I thought we could discuss M-rated fics (as long as we skip over the M-rated bits in detail), and just not link to them. Kinda how the discussion works with seinin and stuff that's not PG13 or whatever?

Well, for seinens, that's discussion that's directly part of the manga (although we didn't allow , something that's different from this thread, which is based on fanfictions.

You still weren't allowed to link M-rated fics here at all.  I believe that we did allow some discussion, but not much.

ilhd1c.jpg

#11 thejabber

thejabber

Scovilling out

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationBagel heaven

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:37 PM

Variant Strain Author: scriviner email.png PM
Prototype/Spider-man(Marvel) Fusion. For most, adolescence is a time of change and growth. For some, the changes are a bit more drastic than expected. Peter struggles with a changing world, an even more changeable body and more questions than he has answers for. He tries to understand where his strange new powers come from and the most important question of all... what happened?
Rated: Fiction T - English - Sci-Fi/Mystery - Peter P./Spider-Man - Chapters: 35 - Words: 128,641 - Reviews: 136 - Favs: 202 - Follows: 147 - Updated: 12-19-12 - Published: 10-25-12 - id: 8642442

This fic is great, Take spiderman characters and put them into the Prototype world, one drawback is that it seems to be placed in the recent movie version of spiderman. 

#12 Kyuri

Kyuri

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:26 AM

I've seen Foxhunt around a lot, but I only got around to reading it a while ago. It's great.

Summary: Naruto clutched an Anbu mask so hard it bowed in his grip. It was a fox face, long-eared and grinning, with whiskers painted on its cheeks to match the young man who held it... Shikamaru had no idea how the mask had ruined his morning. (Mainly Naruto-centric but Sasuke, Shikamaru, and Hinata are also central characters.)

Where this fic really shines is that it doesn't bother to do a lot of exposition. Information is revealed gradually, when it is needed, and the author is keenly aware which character knows what. For instance, we'll learn that Sasuke's come back from his time with Orochimaru, but the info is only revealed through snippets and hints, well after his first appearance. It doesn't exploit situations for drama either -- everything turns out almost disappointingly normal despite all the frustration. Characters are not stereotyped. Even in their brief appearances they seem more nuanced than any single-trait definition we may force on them, mainly: Hinata isn't just defined by her affection for Naruto, and Naruto and Sasuke's friendship is close but not perfectly so, etc. It feels somehow very real and immersive.

Unfortunately, it seems to be abandoned, and hasn't been given enough time to really go anywhere (~22k words). Premise is interesting enough though. They go on a mission and there're hints of sinister intentions towards Naruto.

#13 Liar

Liar

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:38 AM

Anyone up for a Harry x Hermione?

#14 Hadz-x

Hadz-x

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • LocationEngland

User's Awards

2    2    2   

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:18 PM

Not only was my previous fanfic rec list too massive to post in one post, the formatting isn't compatible with this forum. Now to redo it all. FML.

Banner6.jpg

Spoiler

#15 Namikaze_Naruto

Namikaze_Naruto

N00b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts
  • LocationSmallville

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:39 PM

Anyone up for a Harry x Hermione?

Hit me with some. I haven't read HHr fics for a few months now. I;ve been reading Smallville fics instead ;)

My Anime List | My Manga List

naruhinasig1.png

The Return of my Old Sig!

Spoiler Quotes

#16 Dantrag

Dantrag

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationTundra

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:00 PM

Regarding the M-rated stories. Yes you can recommend them and talk about as long as they comply to the following:

1. No sex, period, what so ever. Implied sex is fine, lemon scenes are not. Non-negotiable. Lemons are never needed for good writing, they exist solely for private bedroom uses. A warning to all writers and fans: Sex Scenes are actually banned on FF.net and adding them to your story there will most likely result in your story being deleted. These kinds of stories are still being purged from the site so many stories containing them may be deleted.

2. No explicitly detailed scenes of torture and gore. Writing about Dexter is fine, but going into too much detail about him cutting people up is not. That means you can have violence and blood as that usually happens in most stories that feature combat/war/etc. Just don't go overboard.

3. No adult/minor pairings regardless of the universe unless the minors in question are at least 16-17 years old (average age of consent everywhere). We do not condone child abuse in anyway, not even in fictional stories (unless it involves proper punishment for a crime). That applies even to stories like Naruto, which has essentially child soldiers. This rule is not negotiable as it most likely also goes against the ToS of our service providers and we do not wish to be shut down.

Fanfic sites: Adultfanfiction,net is banned due to it being a site mostly for written erotica as are any sites with visible NSFW -adds etc. Other hosting sites are still acceptable though, but we would appreciate if you'd use sites that don't require registration for reading as that tends to upset and drive away many potential readers.

Posted Image

[color=#000000;]-----[/color]

[color=#000000;]At first I was like "Whoa!". Then I was like "Whoooaa...". And then it got weird. Head Tiltingly Weird.[/color]

#17 Hadz-x

Hadz-x

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • LocationEngland

User's Awards

2    2    2   

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:01 PM

http://payced.tumblr...ions-masterlist

My fanfic rec list from the old forum... reformatted. Took me like 3 days >_>

Banner6.jpg

Spoiler

#18 Kyuri

Kyuri

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:28 AM

http://payced.tumblr...ions-masterlist

My fanfic rec list from the old forum... reformatted. Took me like 3 days >_>

Nice! ^^

I don't think I"ll have the patience to do mine again.

#19 Hadz-x

Hadz-x

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • LocationEngland

User's Awards

2    2    2   

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:44 PM

I really wish we still could have had the old forum, even if it was just as an archive ;__;

Banner6.jpg

Spoiler

#20 Nemrut

Nemrut

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:20 PM

Stories I am currently following which get more or less regular updates.

Second "Variant Strain". Don't know much about the Prototype Verse, never played the games, but as far as I can tell, the two universes were mixed rather well and excellent characterization all around. Definitely sticking with that one.

"Victory at Ostagar" is still being updated every Sunday with 8000 to 12000 words chapters and still going very strong. Some major shit has happened in the last ten or so chapters and I am told the story is in its last third or at least approaching it. [Dragon Age Origins]

The Sequel to "The Dark Lords of Nerima" and "The Dark Lords Strike Back" has been updated. Third chapter of "The Dark Lords Ascendant" was released recently and it was a good one, although, the ending part had me grinding my teeth a bit, with the universe alligning itself to mess up everyones lives like that. [Crossover: Ranma 1/2 and Sailor Moon]

"The Traitor and the Nine Tailes" really lost a lot of steam for me and I am just reading it out of duty and not enjoyment, at the moment. Maybe it will pick up again but if it continues like this, I might drop it. Compared to the next fic, the Itachi here is just not as interesting. [Naruto]

"Daybreak Part 1" is also going strong and has strong characters left and right and very, very interesting plot twists and a very engaging new politcal landscape. Doing a lot of things that haven't been done before and it keeps your attention. One should definitely read "One Small Kindness" though, the prequel that sets everything up and it has Mikoto Uchiha as a main character who is rather awesome, which makes me like that story more. [Naruto]

"Wand and Shield" is a solid story, with an interesting plotline but I am not loving it so far. It has been good but it didn't have the WOW effect yet and I think that is mostly because it still needs to pick up momentum and assemble all the characters needed. [Crossover: Harry Potter and the Avengers]

"My Little Denarians" is another excellent story, should be at its last chapter or so. Really enjoyed it, very true to its source materials and very good take on all the characters and the writing style of Dresden. Really managed to convey its atmosphere and how the Dresden Files sees actions and people. Should read the very entertaining one shot "Forever" first, since that one kind of sets this up. [Crossover: The Dresden Files and My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic]

"The Dresden Fillies: False Masks" is rather similar, in that it is also a crossover between the very same franchises as the last one. Who would have thought that those two were that prone to be crossed over so successfully like that? Story is the sequel to another fullblown story named "The Dresden Fillies: Strange Friends" that one should read before this one. Both worth the time but I think that in both cases, you should only read them if you know Dresden since it spoils quite a bit about the story. [Crossover: The Dresden Files and My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic]

"The First Shifting Grain" is a rare type of time travel fic that has Gaara as the one traveling back and it seems he is the only one. Makes it really interesting to see Gaara, with future knowledge, facing his shitty childhood again and seeing how he tries to influence it. Slow updates though, probably the slowest on this list. [Naruto]

"The Game of Champions" is the best Pokemon story I have ever read and it is among the best written ones on ff.net. Outstanding characters, really, really love Red and Blue in this one, on how their rivalry is described, how the Pokemon and its lore are treating, taking everything more seriously and expanding realistically on the universe. Red's journey to become champion, dunno what else to say about that. [Pokemon]

"Dreaming of Sunshine", well, gushed about this one enough I think. Really, really love and it is in my all time top ten list. Last chapter set up more for divergence from canon, which has been a point of critique for some and the story is still going strong. Updates maybe once a month but still regular enough. Might be my favorite Naruto story even. Self insert in Naruto, that explores the Naruto world in an incredible way. Best portrayal of the Naruto world, imo. [Naruto]

Admittedly, this doesn't qualify, since it seems more abandonded than anything but I haven't given up hope yet that it might still be updated someday, when Deviate's Fish gets struck by inspiration again. "Thu'um of a Distant Utopia" is perhaps the story that I want to see continued the most, right alongside the Dresden Files and Percy Jackson crossover of Ryuugi Shi. It is rather short, around 20 000 words, but it is so breathtakingly awesome. I don't know but everything in this story really appeals to me. The way it is written, the way the plot progresses, the characterization, the action, the mythology, everything. Just love everything about it. Really manages to start an outstanding crossover and it is a pity and a crime that there is so few of it. To be honest, there should be more stories like that. Story focuses on Saber who finds herself in the Skyrim world at the beginning of the game in the wagon...yeah, you know what that means.[Crossover: Fate Zero / Fate Stay Night and Skyrim]

Lastly, "Life in Konoha's ANBU" is also a very strong ongoing story, featuring a rather engaging Naruto for a change and it shows a rather awesome Sandaime and the Master-Disciple relationship those two share. Also, Shezza is able to build a fantastic Naruto world with great lore for the clans that we see and the Naruto history. Features a Naruto that was in ANBU from an early age and was trained and raised by the Sandaime nearly all of his life. [Naruto]

Does anyone have any good Harry x Luna stories to share? Am in the mood for it again, it seems. No weird triangle pairings with Hermione, please. Just Harry and Luna or a Luna centric fic without romance. Or a good Percy Jackson story. Or a good

Edited by Nemrut, 24 December 2012 - 05:12 PM.

Posted Image

Signature Done By isacchi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users