Desolation comes upon the sky--

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • LocationEngland

User's Awards

2    2    2   

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:36 AM

"Wand and Shield" is a solid story, with an interesting plotline but I am not loving it so far. It has been good but it didn't have the WOW effect yet and I think that is mostly because it still needs to pick up momentum and assemble all the characters needed. [Crossover: Harry Potter and the Avengers

It probably sound stupid as hell, but while it's not a bad read, and I wanna see where it goes next, the more I read it, the more it feels like there's no 'heart' being put into the writing. It feels so clinical to me. ...I know how stupid this sounds, ok? xD

Some things I came across recently:

ASSASSIN'S CREED:

Reversal of Shadows: /AC2, ACB/ Threatened by a direct attack on their maestro, those who once paraded the streets now mimic the eagles that they hunt, and take instead to the shadows.

What Leonardo should have been in AC2/ACB.

Bitter Leaves and Blossoms Bright: The Hashshashin, I would learn, do not kill with blades alone.

Nemrut recc'd this one- rerec from me. The MC is kinda Mary Sue, but not irritatingly so. The plot is nicely weaved together, and it’s not a fic written that falls completely into the trap that other such fics do. Best of all, it’s not a preachy ‘written from viewpoint of a modern western girl and OMG SEXISM’ fic. Explores both culture, plot and history.

- - -

HARRY POTTER:

Oblivious: What if there were more to Remus Lupin's bite than a badly timed stroll in the woods? Secrets emerge when a feral comes to town...

Great exploration of Remus’ life and how he came to be the person that he is. A look into the werewolves of the HP-verse, great plot and characterisation.

Also read a great HP fic- Within these Walls. Can't link it here because it's rated M, but I thought it was awesome. Ron was the protaganist. Has anyone read the sequel? Does it matchup? I'm asking because I think it was recc'd in the old old old fanfic thread back in the Naruto subforum on the old forum.

- - -

HUNGER GAMES:

The Flaw In The Plan: Before the berries, the rule change, even Rue's flowers, he did something that no one had ever imagined in 73 years of Hunger Games, and so became a contender, until Katniss Everdeen ruined everything. The untold story of Landmine Boy from District 3.

It's a domino effect- pretty damn clever, when you get to the end of it. It's a slow start, and maybe a tad overplayed in some places (though those who say THG wasn't, anyways, is lying), but it's enjoyable.

Peeta Mellark's Five Favorite Things to BakePeeta Mellark is ninety-six years old and the most beloved person in the Coal Estate, which was once – a long time ago, now – known as District 12.

Nice aftermath fic.

- - -

MERLIN:

Hidden Motives: On waking with no memory of the previous night, Merlin finds himself accused of Arthur's attempted murder. With all evidence pointing to him and no way to disprove it, Merlin must face the possibility that he is now a threat to the Once and Future King.

Great plot and execution.

Past and Present DangerUnable to match Merlin’s power, Morgana tries to take her revenge by killing Arthur and Merlin as children. But when her plan goes awry, King and Warlock must find a way of correcting time before their past, and present, disappear altogether.

Excellent plot and characterisation- truly one of my favourite Merlin fics.

Watching the Girls Go By: A collection of stories about the goings on in Camelot as Arthur, Merlin and the knights set about rebuilding after Morgana's defeat. Banter and bromance. Ch 3: Gossip - A group of refugees discover that Camelot is full of scandal...and singing drunks

banter and bromance sums it up

- - -

NARUTO:

Underneath the Underneath: Teaching children to be ninja is harder than it seems, especially if the children are good at it. If the academy instructors had decided to look underneath the underneath, what would they have seen? Oneshot. Rookiefic.

- - -

SKYRIM:

The Divine Champian: Alduin the World Eater has returned to finish what began centuries ago. Only now there are no Dragonborn to stand in his way. Except one, the one they made a god; Talos himself. The god of men has returned to Skyrim to reclaim his glory, and stop Alduin. Update: The party heads to Alftand in search of an Elder Scroll, while the civil war makes a new target.

Nemrut- were you the one to rec. this? If you were- thanks! Not a rehash of the game- a great look into the world of Skyrim, giving characters a personality, and readers an interesting protagonist to root for.

- - -

SPIDERMAN:

Just a Face on a TrainAfter rescuing a train from Doc Ock’s attack, Peter Parker found himself unmasked and indebted to those he had just saved. 4 months later, a train passenger again crosses paths with the young hero. Based on events from SpiderMan 2.

Feelgood fic, a really nice read.

- - -

SUPERNATURAL:

Star of the Morning: Castiel, removed from his host, is forced to make a temporarily substitution. Dean is so not onboard with this plan. Post The Rapture, AU. No pairings; rated for language

Brilliant look into the dynamics of Castiel’s relationship with his host. People forget about Jimmy, and it's nice to get a look at him, too.

- - -

TWILIGHT:

moves in mysterious ways: Sometimes the prey evolves, or at least learns how to issue restraining orders. Metafic

I think Kyuri was the one to originally rec this. I really enjoyed it. It's a well written and enjoyable read. Makes me wish Twilight was written better. Le sigh.

Banner6.jpg

[Fanfic Recs] [My Anime List] [My Manga List] [Writing Resources List]

Spoiler

#22 FongShwei69

FongShwei69

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,786 posts
  • LocationStanding on the bridge between Sagu and Nayug.

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:01 PM

BLEACH
Quincy Work Diary is an overall well written semi-introspective fic that begins when the Shinigami Womens Association arranges for Nemu to spend some time in the World of the Living to work on a project relating to the two remaining quincies, Uryuu and his father, Ryuuken. But what was meant to be a simple project, leads to events that cause her to examine her feelings toward Uryuu, and question her life in general.
rated: T genre: romance/comedy/drama chapters: 10 status: complete

For the Princess is a one-shot that explores the similarities between Sui-Feng and Tatsuki, and takes place during the HM arc. Ichigo and the others have gone to rescue Orihime, leaving Tatsuki feeling left out of the loop and abandoned. Sui-Feng knows the feeling all too well and, in a rare moment, empathizes with her, deciding not to let history repeat. One of my absolute favorites.
rated: T genre: angst chapters: 1 status: complete

Edited by FongShwei69, 29 December 2012 - 03:15 PM.

#23 Sasuke K

Sasuke K

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in exile.

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:02 AM

That's a bumbler. I was looking forward to post my one-shot Iroman and Superman one-shot stories here. 

8519a27d-5f08-4790-abd9-e67910047477.jpg

Dark Souls random clip for season 1 of GoM: The Legend Begins.

Full Image 

#24 Nemrut

Nemrut

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:10 AM

Second Oblivious, underneath the underneath, just a face on the train, Within These Walls and obviously Bitter Leaves and Blossoms Bright.

Reject the merlin fics out of principle :D

Series I recently reread: The Denarian Series by Shezza, starting with "The Denarian Renegade" .

By the age of seven, Harry Potter hated his home, his relatives and his life. However, an ancient demonic artefact has granted him the powers of a Fallen and now he will let nothing stop him in his quest for power. AU: Slight Xover with Dresden Files

Fantastic series in which Harry is a Denarian host. It's a crossover with the Dresden files that gives a nice introduction to the series without spoiling much, really. Just a few people that appear there, appear here and even then, doesn't really take away from the books. harry is kind of a douche in this one but a funny douche and you know why he acts the way he does. Filled with great fights, a lot of entertainment and probably the best Dumbledore I have ever seen outside the books.

Well worth reading. Three completed stories and one longer side along one shot.

Posted Image

Signature Done By isacchi

#25 Hadz-x

Hadz-x

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • LocationEngland

User's Awards

2    2    2   

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:58 AM

Miff you, Nemrut- I'm still crying over the finale :(

I tried Shezza's work- including the ANBU one- couldn't get into any of it. Not that the writing's bad- It just didn't gel with me personally.

You read A Black Comedy? I couldn't stop laughing xD

Banner6.jpg

Spoiler

#26 Nemrut

Nemrut

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:20 AM

That was from nonjon, right? yeah, read everything from him. Stuff is awesome. Especially Browncoat and green Eyes.

Posted Image

#27 Kyuri

Kyuri

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:29 AM

TWILIGHT:

moves in mysterious ways: Sometimes the prey evolves, or at least learns how to issue restraining orders. Metafic

I think Kyuri was the one to originally rec this. I really enjoyed it. It's a well written and enjoyable read. Makes me wish Twilight was written better. Le sigh.

Yep that was me. Never read/watched Twilight but this is an awesome fic from an awesome author. Incidentally, also great example of an interesting summary.

#28 Namikaze_Naruto

Namikaze_Naruto

N00b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts
  • LocationSmallville

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:00 PM

Here's one I just finish reading. Had me laughing till the end.

Heroic Suburbanites

Author: wentworth360

Summary: Diana makes a bet with Bruce...

Who knew a Justice League fanfic could be this funny. And Holy Smokes 51 chapters! Poor Clark got roped in the bet. Diana was a bit OOC imo. I have to say Plasticman and Black Canary interactions was hilarious.

Edited by Namikaze_Naruto, 02 January 2013 - 12:03 PM.

• Peleihno likes this

My Anime List | My Manga List

naruhinasig1.png

The Return of my Old Sig!

Spoiler Quotes

#29 Bunny153539

Bunny153539

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:47 AM

Bleach Fan Fictions:

Name: The King of Darkness
Genre: Adventure/Romance
Rating: M
Main Characters: Ichigo, his OC sister Kairi, Lightning (from Final Fantasy), implied to be one or two more main characters that will appear soon.
Summary: AU, He said I couldn't protect them all, that I was just a boy, Well then I guess I'll prove him wrong, I'll do everything I have to protect those I love, even if I must embrace my very own Darkness and then, only then shall I crush all those that stand to do harm to those I cherish even if I have to destroy the balance itself! Dark Godlike Ichigo, Harem.
Link: http://www.fanfictio....ng-of-Darkness

Notes: While this story is mostly Bleach it is effectively a Mixed Universe AU as multiple characters that originated from other series appear. A Mixed Alternate Universe is one where there are characters and elements from other series added (to Bleach in this case). It is still pretty new but so far it is damn good. Ichigo has an extra sister as an OC but she is pretty well made and actually has a very important role to fill that is necessary due to Ichigo being born six years earlier than in Canon. Ichigo is apparently in a relationship with Lightning from FF13. A flashback is supposed to explain how that happened sometime soon. It should be noted that this Lightning and the one from the Final Fantasy universe are considered two separate characters. To explain properly think of it like DC or Marvel. There is the universe of Bleach, the universe of Final Fantasy, the universe of The King of Darkness (this fanfic) etc. The characters that appear in The King of Darkness have not gone through the same events as their canon counterparts but they do have the same personality, appearance, etc. So as long as you have read through Bleach you will have no problem understanding what is happening as the author is fully aware that a lot of readers have only read Bleach and don't know much about Final Fantasy, Sekirei, etc. And the author is very detailed with characterization, back stories, etc. The beginning of the first chapter warns of “Incest (Depending on one’s view however),” this is because the siblings are related through adoption; not blood.

Name: The Protector's Temptation
Genre: Adventure/Supernatural
Rating: M
Main Characters: Ichigo, Kyoka Suigetsu
Summary: On the eve of his 17th birthday, a powerless Ichigo is given a chance to regain his powers once again, but with a completely different twist. AU from after the Winter War.
Link: http://www.fanfictio....r-s-Temptation

Notes: Potentially the best Bleach Fanfiction I have ever read. Currently at just over 75,000 words it has great characterization, wonderful storytelling, and professional grammar. Kon is pretty much put on a Bus early on and replaced with Nova. Despite being a filler character Nova is much better then Kon ever was. The author refuses to give a concrete pairing as he has said in his own words: no one actually falls in love with the first person they date. So Ichigo is acting a lot like a normal teenager... or sort of. Kyoka Sugetsu is pretty much forcing him to try to get a girlfriend so he dated the minor character Michiru for a while. The author has confirmed that it's only dating and there will be a completely different final pairing.

#30 Nemrut

Nemrut

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:26 AM

Dreaming of Sunshine got updated. Good one and I am really curious as to how the story develops from here. Too bad the update rate is so slow. At least it is regular with once a month.

Posted Image

#31 Graeystone

Graeystone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

Plot Bunny - Naruto Uzumaki is shunned and ignored by Kohona because is not a Bijuu Host like everyone else. . .wait what?! In this story The Sage did not created Nine Bijuu from the Juubi, he created millions and millions of Bijuus. That makes it virtually impossible for Juubi to be recreated. Some Bijuu are just 'meh' and don't do much for the host. Others are like the Nine we knows. Regardless every person that is born is born with a Bijuu. When one person dies, the Bijuu is released until another person is born and that Bijuu goes to the newborn child.

Then there is Naruto. The only person known to not be born with a Bijuu. How could this happen and why did it happen?

The only reason why I wouldn't do this type of story is because it would be too much like JoJo's Bizarre Adventures with Stands or Bleach with the Zan Spirits.

Currently reading-

It's for a Good Cause, I Swear

After receiving a time travel jutsu as payment for a mission, the original four members of Team 7 each get a chance to go back to one event in their life and change it. Surely they will use such an awesome power responsibly...right? Don't count on it.

Forgot how frickin' funny this one is. Especially the elimination rounds before the Chunin Finals.

Edited by Graeystone, 18 January 2013 - 03:05 PM.

Posted Image

#32 Dantrag

Dantrag

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationTundra

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

On the other hand it actually has the potential to be hilarious, if you use just the right personalities for the bijuu and give them the ability to inject comments to their hosts at the most inappropriate times :D

Posted Image

[color=#000000;]-----[/color]

[color=#000000;]At first I was like "Whoa!". Then I was like "Whoooaa...". And then it got weird. Head Tiltingly Weird.[/color]

#33 Namikaze_Naruto

Namikaze_Naruto

N00b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts
  • LocationSmallville

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:47 PM

A Darkened World

Author: sprinter1988

Hermione and Ron both leave Harry behind in the tent. Neither return, and were among the few to escape Britain when Voldemort took over. Years later, their daughter Rose has joined an ICW operation that tries to stop Voldemort's power from spreading beyond Europe. However things take an unexpected turn when she discovers what became of Harry Potter. Ron Bashing and Deaths.

Rated: Fiction T - English - Friendship/Hurt/Comfort - Harry P. & Rose W. - Chapters: 17 - Words: 56,961 - Reviews: 463 - Favs: 525 - Follows: 672 - Updated: 01-12-13 - Published: 08-11-12 - Status: Complete - id: 8418356

Nicely written. A darker take to DH. I like how the author wrapped things up in the end. And the Epilogue was certainly more satisfying than Rowlings. I'll give it a 4/5 rating.

Edited by Namikaze_Naruto, 18 January 2013 - 05:49 PM.

naruhinasig1.png

Spoiler Quotes

#34 Hadz-x

Hadz-x

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • LocationEngland

User's Awards

2    2    2   

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:38 PM

I really frikkin hate Ron bashing with a passion.

Edited by Hadz-x, 19 January 2013 - 04:41 PM.

• Nemrut likes this

Banner6.jpg

Spoiler

#35 Namikaze_Naruto

Namikaze_Naruto

N00b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts
  • LocationSmallville

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:38 AM

The story doesn't focus on Ron bashing tbh. Ron isn't  even mentioned much in the story. It mostly focuses on Harry and Rose's struggle to end the war. And no, it's not a Rose/Harry pairing.

Edited by Namikaze_Naruto, 20 January 2013 - 08:42 AM.

naruhinasig1.png

Spoiler Quotes

#36 Nemrut

Nemrut

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:30 AM

A few stories I stumbled upon in the last weeks:

The Souls of Heroes by LD 1449 is a Fate Stay Night and Demon Souls crossover and I don't think any real Demon Souls knowledge is required to enjoy it. I didn't have much and I loved it. Not that long and still in progress but I feel as if this one is going to be updated at least semi frequently.

There is never only one change. There are always many changes. Because one thing will change another. It will affect something more. Ripples through time. Irrelevant to some, disastrous to others. There can never be only one change Emiya Shirou. There will always be consequences.

Basically, Rin, Saber and Shirou end up in the Demon Souls world and Rin's and Saber's awesomeness cancel out Shirou's douchebaginess, at least for me.

Reincarnation Roulette by Silver Queen is a one shot once again starring an OC, Meimu Uchiha and it is simply brilliant. Love it. Not long but really, really gripping.

Sometimes you get lucky. Sometimes you don't.

I think she is going to put more one shots in there but so far, only one.

Wayne, what happened to those fountains by Meinos Kaen is a hilarious Naruto one shot.

Naruto returns to Konoha and finally works up the courage to confess his true feelings to the love of his life.

The Shinobi Test by Lord of the Land of Fire is a short Naruto story.

A ninja's career is brutal and based on violence. What if the tests used by Konoha to weed out candidates reflected this simple truth?

It focuses more on the dark side of the ninja life and it shows a way to break the delusions of children they might have in their career. Now, I don't think that the characters are completely spot on, Sasuke, for example, but it was still a really interesting read.

Miracle by Grunt is a completed Fate Stay Night story, in whichGuts from Berserk is summoned as a Servant. Nothing outstanding but still a solid read and quite fun, since the author manages to hit the mythological tone and atmosphere of the Fate series.

As long as his body can grasp his sword he refuses to fade away. The title of struggler defines his existance. It is time for the black swordsman to enter another war. A war between Masters and Servants. A war for the holy grail.

Freedom in the Eyes of the Beholder by Oroburos69 is a Sakura centric story that is surprisingly awesome.

The Wave Mission was a failure. They got caught, captured, taken-it didn't end well. Now Sakura has a half-heard order, uncut fingernails, and more desperation than bravery. One way or another, she's getting Team Seven out today. Complete.

Really captures the desparation well and is a fun read.

Twilight Sparkle Gets a Free Salad by AestheticB is a Twilight Sparkle centric MLP one shot. Really funny and zany, an extremely entertaining read.

One beautiful morning, Twilight Sparkle decides she wants a free salad. After a small amount of theft, assault, battery, and arson, she sits down to enjoy what is sure to be the best tasting salad ever.

...Or she would have, if it weren’t for the Equestrian Intelligence Service locking her up as a potential threat to national security. Now, Twilight must escape a maximum security holding facility hidden deep underneath Canterlot. And to do it, she’ll need a paperclip, a spymare catsuit, an escape plan, and an alliance with the dastardly Drakbog, King of Frogs

A bunch of other stories got updated as well:

Blood, Silk and Steel a "dark Sokka" centric ATLA story, by Lost in a Dark Wood. (okay, didn't we have a one manga member who had a name similar to this? Might be the same person.)

AU. In a world where Sokka and Katara's father died instead of their mother, we follow the exploits of Sokka, a dark perversion of his former self, as he willingly enters the world of intrigue and deception that is the Fire Nation.

Definitely worth reading.

Victory at Ostagar by Arsinoe De Blassenville, which still gets its weekly updates. Great as always.

When Bryce Cousland's little spitfire scaled the Tower of Ishal and lit the beacon at the critical moment, King Cailan won a mighty victory against the darkspawn. For the moment. Cousland/Alistair/Loghain/Cailan/Morrigan and eventual other origins

Absolution by Cyberwratih9, the third part of his outstanding Teen Titans stories.

The end of an era. The beginning of a legend. LIMITS: When everything you have isn't enough, how much further can you go? And what will you trade to succeed?

The Dresden Fillies:False Masks by psychicscubadiver, the sequel to his previous Dresden Files and MLP crossover.

Almost a year has gone by for Harry Dresden since he left Equestria. Then he receives a strange letter from Twilight. He's glad to return, but dark rumors have spread since his first visit. A sequel to The Dresden Fillies: Strange Friends.

That's it, I guess. For now.

Posted Image

#37 Graeystone

Graeystone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:02 PM

There are no Judge Dredd fics on ff.net. Surprising unless the publishers don't want it to happen.

Posted Image

#38 Namikaze_Naruto

Namikaze_Naruto

N00b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts
  • LocationSmallville

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

I'm in the mood for JL fics

Heroic Suburbanites

Diana makes a bet with Bruce...

Rated: Fiction T - English - Romance/Humor - Wonder Woman & Superman - Chapters: 51 - Words: 223,169 - Reviews: 712 - Favs: 244 - Follows: 90 - Updated: 01-13-11 - Published: 09-08-10 - Status: Complete - id: 6308040

Already Rec'ed but worth mentioning again. Funny Justice League fanfic. Most of wentworth360's stories are quite good and have depth in them. Another one I like is

Year Zero

Before Year One, there was Year Zero ...

Rated: Fiction T - English - Drama/Romance - Wonder Woman & Superman - Chapters: 16 - Words: 51,634 - Reviews: 271 - Favs: 97 - Follows: 99 - Updated: 01-20-13 - Published: 11-06-12 - id: 8680493

Based from the new 52 comics. He also has some Superman/Zatanna & Superman/Powergirl that are good but I'm not really a fan of these pairings. And I like how fast this guy updates. And also

THE ALIEN AND THE AMAZON

Author: HELLACRE13

He is the controversial social crusader and charismatic alien. She is the gung ho, fully trained warrior princess. Both trying to fit in. Set in the 2011 rebooted DC Universe. SM and WW are based on the new 52 Justice League,Action Comics & Wonder Woman.

Rated: Fiction T - English - Romance/Humor - Superman & Wonder Woman - Chapters: 12 - Words: 115,348 - Reviews: 357 - Favs: 194 - Follows: 226 - Updated: 01-13-13 - Published: 01-05-12 - id: 7714467

I find myself liking 52's version of Superman. He's aloof and reclusive in this universe. He's also not afraid to stand up to his beliefs as a reporter.

Edited by Namikaze_Naruto, 22 January 2013 - 04:10 PM.

naruhinasig1.png

Spoiler Quotes

#39 Kyuri

Kyuri

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:45 AM

Life in Konoha's Anbu

Spoiler

• Hadz-x likes this

#40 Kyuri

Kyuri

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

One of the dilemmas of fanfiction, understandably, is coming up with contrived ways to insert the characters into the real world AU. Normally it's pretty unimaginative and unremarkable, and well, you can't help that. But once in a while...

Naruto Uzumaki, like Hinata, had a famous father. Unfortunately, he wasn't a former rock star- he was the infamous "Nine Tails" serial killer, a schizophrenic who believed he was the reincarnation of a Japanese fox demon. After a spree of gristly murders, he had killed himself and his wife when Naruto was still small. 

Brilliant xD

(from Stranger Than Fiction)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users