• Please log in to reply
227 replies to this topic

#41 Graeystone

Graeystone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:45 PM

Well, I've finally decided to try my hand at the one type of story I thought I'd never write - A Time Travel Fic.

During the final Naruto vs. Sasuke battle, Sasuke does the unexpected and uses one of the Uzuamaki Shinigami Masks that was revealed in the latest Naruto Chapter and uses to safely summon the Shimagami to trap Naruto forever! Sasuke mocks Naruto saying the Shinigami Technique came from the Uzumaki Shrine. Another shocker is that Kurama reveals another Uzumaki Jutsu he saw through Mito's eyes at the Uzumaki Shrine - A Time Travel Jutsu! Naruto agrees to go back in time to change history. Kurama provides the hand seals and chakra for the technique and Naruto is propelled into the past about year before the series begin.(His fateful third attempt at becoming a ninja).

In the past with a new beginning, Naruto knows he has a second chance to fix things. The lives he can help and save with his foreknowledge of the future. Then he is hit with an epiphany - the prophecy states he will either save or destroy the Ninja System. Naruto realizes he has been lied to for most of his life and being denied his heritage(access to the Uzumaki Shrine). Then there are people like Hinata, Gaara, and Sasuke who were treated cruelly and never got the help they needed. Finally there are the Bijuu Hosts who have it worst of all. So many needless secrets. . .so much needless suffering.

Naruto realizes he may end up destroying the Ninja System yet there is one major problem - how can he destroy the Ninja System without turning into another Madara/Obito Uchiha?

Edited by Graeystone, 11 February 2013 - 01:46 PM.

Posted Image

#42 Hadz-x

Hadz-x

Desolation comes upon the sky--

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • LocationEngland

User's Awards

2    2    2   

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:21 PM

Post it when you write it. You know how much I love Time Travel fanfics : D

Banner6.jpg

[Fanfic Recs] [My Anime List] [My Manga List] [Writing Resources List]

Spoiler

#43 Namikaze_Naruto

Namikaze_Naruto

N00b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts
  • LocationSmallville

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:57 PM

Sounds interesting. I'm still miffed that the likes of Orochimaru and Taka would defile an Uzumaki shrine like that in the manga.

My Anime List | My Manga List

naruhinasig1.png

The Return of my Old Sig!

Spoiler Quotes

#44 Graeystone

Graeystone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:56 PM

Sounds interesting. I'm still miffed that the likes of Orochimaru and Taka would defile an Uzumaki shrine like that in the manga.

A little tidbit from the first chapter where Naruto considers the following-

Spoiler

• Namikaze_Naruto likes this

Posted Image

#45 Namikaze_Naruto

Namikaze_Naruto

N00b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts
  • LocationSmallville

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:36 PM

Is this time travel a scenario where he ends up being a kid again or if his adult body was sent back to the past?

My Anime List | My Manga List

naruhinasig1.png

The Return of my Old Sig!

Spoiler Quotes

#46 Graeystone

Graeystone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:10 PM

Is this time travel a scenario where he ends up being a kid again or if his adult body was sent back to the past?

Spoiler

• Namikaze_Naruto likes this

Posted Image

#47 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:27 PM

I am oh so bored with most fanfiction now :(

I've recently re-entered the world of naruto fics and much to my annoyance the same things that plaged it before i left have reproduced.

-sigh-

There are very few good fanfics anymore. And of those, the authors have slow update times (not complaning, i understand completely) that make me want more and more out of them.

My biggest pet peeve has to be the lack of the ability to hit the enter key...

Oh well :/

#48 Graeystone

Graeystone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:54 AM

I am oh so bored with most fanfiction now :(

I've recently re-entered the world of naruto fics and much to my annoyance the same things that plaged it before i left have reproduced.

-sigh-

There are very few good fanfics anymore. And of those, the authors have slow update times (not complaning, i understand completely) that make me want more and more out of them.

My biggest pet peeve has to be the lack of the ability to hit the enter key...

Oh well :/

If you know the basics of English spelling and grammar then you are good to go,

Posted Image

#49 Yumi_Hikari

Yumi_Hikari

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

So, I've been debating for about a month or so now on whether I should write a Fanfic of my own, seeing apparently everyone else is doing these days, and i was wondering. Do you guys have any tips for writing a good one?

Just a note: The idea I had was for an Adventure Time Fic in which an older Finn travels to Prismo's realm and wishes to be transported back in time in order to avert a war between the living creatures of earth and The Lich's undead army.

And if you have no idea what I just said... well, sorry. I got no way to properly explain it.

Edited by Yumi_Hikari, 27 February 2013 - 02:10 PM.

#50 Liar

Liar

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:08 PM

Nah, I totally understand. It's a Peggy Sue story.

When you write your story, be mindful of fanfiction cliches of your fandom.

Research the more popular stories and why they are.

Always try to stay in character for each character. It's okay to have variations to have them grow and develop, but the one thing readers hate is if the character is only  by name.

I'll try to think up more, but this is all I have at the moment.

/is a writer of over 50 Harry Potter stories; two of them over 1000 reviews

#51 Hadz-x

Hadz-x

Desolation comes upon the sky--

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • LocationEngland

User's Awards

2    2    2   

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:11 PM

So, I've been debating for about a month or so now on whether I should write a Fanfic of my own, seeing apparently everyone else is doing these days, and i was wondering. Do you guys have any tips for writing a good one?

Just a note: The idea I had was for an Adventure Time Fic in which an older Finn travels to Prismo's realm and wishes to be transported back in time in order to avert a war between the living creatures of earth and The Lich's undead army.

And if you have no idea what I just said... well, sorry. I got no way to properly explain it.

I don't know much about Adventure Time, but I did like the little I've seen of it ^^

My tips are-

Don't worry about what's 'popular' in fandom. Seriously. 90% of what's 'popular' in fanfiction is badly written crap that only got 'popular' because it panders to a particular trope that's well liked. That's not to say that popularity = bad quality, but it doesn't necessarily equal good quality either. If you're writing for the sole purpose of popularity... well that's another issue.

Try to stay in character- unless you've got specific reasons not to be. I.E. if something's happened to change a character's personality- expand on it.

Try to stay true to the character that you build. That is, if your characters have changed because of what's happened to them, make sure they don't start acting out of character for what you've written.

Proofread what you write.

Learn objectivity. Just because you like certain characters and don't like others, doesn't mean it has to show in your writing. This especially goes if you're including ANY element of shipping into a fanfic. The love rival doesn't need to be made into an absolute dick for the relationship to go in a different direction.

Don't be afraid of cliches- they're cliche for a reason. But don't be afraid to give them new turns, either.

Have at least some sort of plan in knowing where you're going with a story, even if you don't want to map the whole thing out to every last detail.

Research, research, research!

---

Honestly, I think that's probably some of the most important stuff.

I don't know how it is in the Adventure Time fandom, but if it's like any other fandom- if your story isn't shipping based, a bash-fic, or playing to a popular trope, you might be underwhelmed by a lack of major feedback. Still, I think actually writing is a reward in itself, so keep faith, and have fun doing what you're doing. It's a nice hobby ^^

Hope that helped a little

Edited by Hadz-x, 27 February 2013 - 06:14 PM.

• Kyuri likes this

Banner6.jpg

[Fanfic Recs] [My Anime List] [My Manga List] [Writing Resources List]

Spoiler

#52 Nemrut

Nemrut

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:20 AM

tumblr_mdeoeqJ08v1rfqo6wo1_500.jpg

• Hadz-x likes this

Posted Image

Signature Done By isacchi

#53 Yumi_Hikari

Yumi_Hikari

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:20 AM

Thanks for the advice Hadz. I'll try and keep that in mind while I'm writing.

And I don't plan on this being a Shipping centric fic - the romance betwene the cast, while an important part of the story, isn't the main point of this.

Edited by Yumi_Hikari, 28 February 2013 - 10:23 AM.

• Hadz-x likes this

#54 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:57 PM

Grammer is something that everyone has issues with, so don't sweat it if you accidently miss one or two mistakes.

If you wish it, feel free to add scene breaks between different scenes.

In character is always good, but its okay to make them a bit ooc at times (especially if its an AU fic).

A good summery always helps.

#55 Graeystone

Graeystone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:26 PM

My piece of advice is don't use contractions in the narrative unless its a person person narrative story. Contractions in the narrative look ugly. Also consider how the characters speak. For the most part characters will use contractions in their dialogue. Then there are characters like Hinata Hyuga. In any of my stories that I have her in, she never, ever uses contractions. Its part of her upbringing as a prim and proper lady who is expected to interact with other people of the same status as her. To use contractions even with her teammates and friends would be considered gauche.

Posted Image

#56 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:10 AM

My piece of advice is don't use contractions in the narrative unless its a person person narrative story. Contractions in the narrative look ugly. Also consider how the characters speak. For the most part characters will use contractions in their dialogue. Then there are characters like Hinata Hyuga. In any of my stories that I have her in, she never, ever uses contractions. Its part of her upbringing as a prim and proper lady who is expected to interact with other people of the same status as her. To use contractions even with her teammates and friends would be considered gauche.

On a related note, try to keep their level of speech relative to their age. For example, a three year old cannot speak like a thirty year old.

#57 Lecos

Lecos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:01 AM

My piece of advice is don't use contractions in the narrative unless its a person person narrative story. Contractions in the narrative look ugly.

It's perfectly fine to use contractions in your narration as long as you don't have a first person or very close third person point-of-view where it doesn't fit for the POV character. Only other reasons not to go for a contraction would be for emphasis or if you insist on a narrative that sounds a bit formal.

Out of curiosity:

person person narrative story

What's that?

On a general note regarding writing, make sure to stick to scenes instead of narration wherever possible and limit your point-of-view characters to as few as possible to avoid jumping around from one to the other in mid-scene.

#58 Yumi_Hikari

Yumi_Hikari

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:06 AM

So, yeah. Figured I might as well show you guys what I have written down prolouge wise, so I could get a good reading on what I need to fix/work on before I start getting into this story for reals.

A Time for Adventure (Working Title): Prolouge (Rough Draft)
Spoiler

Edited by Yumi_Hikari, 01 March 2013 - 10:06 AM.

#59 Graeystone

Graeystone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:52 PM

It's perfectly fine to use contractions in your narration as long as you don't have a first person or very close third person point-of-view where it doesn't fit for the POV character. Only other reasons not to go for a contraction would be for emphasis or if you insist on a narrative that sounds a bit formal.

Out of curiosity:

What's that?

On a general note regarding writing, make sure to stick to scenes instead of narration wherever possible and limit your point-of-view characters to as few as possible to avoid jumping around from one to the other in mid-scene.

Wow! Must have been more tired than I thought yesterday to have missed that. What you wrote about first and third person is what I was going for.

After reading Had-x's post, I got a question. In my time travel story, would it be too much for Iruka to get so pissed off at how some of his students are treated that he would result to using threats against anyone no matter who it is for the crap that was done to Naruto or not getting Sasuke the proper help?

Posted Image

#60 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:54 PM

Wow! Must have been more tired than I thought yesterday to have missed that. What you wrote about first and third person is what I was going for.

After reading Had-x's post, I got a question. In my time travel story, would it be too much for Iruka to get so pissed off at how some of his students are treated that he would result to using threats against anyone no matter who it is for the crap that was done to Naruto or not getting Sasuke the proper help?

I wouldn't think so. He's been shown as a somewhat caring individual, so its not that far of a strech to say that he would do that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users