#1 garlyle

garlyle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationNestled in the comfortable embrace of darkness

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:32 PM

001_12_08_2013_07_28_53.jpg

Talk about ONE's awesome new series here.

Edited by garlyle, 26 July 2014 - 10:05 AM.

#2 Lone_ant

Lone_ant

Shinninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,703 posts
  • LocationWhere I am

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:42 PM

His art is much better than One punch. It's less crude.

Anway favorite character is the master XD

• number21 and garlyle like this

#3 garlyle

garlyle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:30 AM

I know! His art has REALLY come along. It would be pretty cool if this series got the Murata treatment as well, though I'll still love it if it doesn't. The master is funny because

Spoiler
Also love the fact that there are little onepunch man easter eggs sprinkled throughout the series.

#4 Lone_ant

Lone_ant

Shinninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,703 posts
  • LocationWhere I am

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:41 AM

Also despite being a fraud he makes his client's lives better! IIRC he has so far a 100% satisfaction rate.

• Red Haired Shanks and number21 like this

#5 garlyle

garlyle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:55 AM

I'm interested to see if Mob's explosions can be triggered by anything other than anger. Sadness, Love, Happiness; I wonder what these explosions would look like?

#6 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:18 AM

OK, after reading ahead for a bit (praise to Chinese Scans), I finally officially say Mob Psycho 100 is on par with One Punch Man

When I first read the summary of Mob Psycho 100, I thought it resembles Saiki Kusuo no PSI nan (currently serialised in Weekly Jump).  It's a school life gag manga about a boy named Saiki Kusuo, who is a superhuman with every psychic/mental ability possible.  Telekinesis, Telepathy, Psychokinesis, Psychometry, Pyrokinesis, Teleportation, Petrification, Astral Projection, Clairvoyance, EVERYTHING!!

Trouble is, life's not a blast for Saiki.  Telepathy means he doesn't get the pleasure of experiencing "surprise".  Clairvoyance means after looking at a girl for long enough (5 or 30 seconds?), all he'll see of them is their muscles (like an anatomy doll).  He is so powerful that if he doesn't limit himself, he can totally fly through and blow up the moon (a tribute to Assassination Classroom).

Thus, Saiki prefers a life of anonymity, not standing out, living as much of life without his superpowers as possible.

Sadly, if not the oddball people who hang around him, then the oddball situations he gets into demand that he has to use them.

And he credits his mother for keeping him from going down the dark side.

Mob Psycho 100 does start off like this.  Mob prefers to stay low-key (albeit doesn't mind showing his powers), does not particularly like like psychic powers, and has a mentor who makes sure he stays a good person.

But here is where it differs

Mob Psycho 100 offers a discussion on an interesting topic: self-worth, and value.

What do you prize?  What makes somebody "special", and "above others"?  

What are you beyond your specialty?  Is your self-worth relative to the people around you?  Are you as good as people say you are?

For starters, we've seen how Mob joined the Muscle Improvement Club because he wants to possess something beyond his psychic powers.

And we've seen how Mob and his brother Ritsu envy what the other has:  Mob thinks little of his own psychic powers, but highly values Ritsu popularity, strength and smarts.  For Ritsu, he thinks all he has is nothing compared to the special privilege that Mob has

As for other examples, I won't spoil them.  It's much more satisfying to read them yourselves, which shouldn't be long at the rate the scan team is going

As for Mob, to my surprise, he is a fairly sophisticated character, moreso than Saitama.

They are both just as enjoyable though.

Saitama's appeal is that he's righteous, doesn't take anything seriously, and he's really, really funny.  Fitting for an adult who has already experienced plenty in his years.

Not quite so with Mob, but his character has depth.  His thought patterns are more complex, befitting an adolescent who is finding his path in life

I'm interested to see if Mob's explosions can be triggered by anything other than anger. Sadness, Love, Happiness; I wonder what these explosions would look like?

Mob's Explosion Meter is dependent on how much emotion he has.

So yes, they can be triggered by things other than anger

• DarkNemesis, JDG973, number21 and 1 other like this

Author of the Sket Dan Helpers blog, come visit if you can!

http://sketdanhelpers.wordpress.com/

Owner of the Ansatsu Database blog, with information on our favourite middle school assassins:

http://ansatsu-database.tumblr.com

#7 garlyle

garlyle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:36 AM

Very detailed analysis, thank you Gamria. Its good to know that the series is only going to get better. Mob is a pretty likeable character, as well as his master, and Dimple is pretty funny as well. I like this series SO much, I'm not even bitter that its existence means less onepunch man....and I LOVE onepunch man!

Edited by garlyle, 18 December 2013 - 10:36 AM.

#8 Lone_ant

Lone_ant

Shinninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,703 posts
  • LocationWhere I am

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:46 PM

These last few chapters have been... wow...

Unlike Onepunch man who is pretty much set in his life philosophy, Mob, as a middle school student,  is still getting there and grappling with the implikcations of his ability. Blonde guy was a nice foil for Mob in this regard.. as he said so himself, this is what he could have been had he not have good mentor figures in his life.

Still.... that ??? mode. Just... you think it's a different entity than Mob in there? It seemed he was unconscious at that time. Maybe it's a result of him repressing his powers too much.

On a side note. How do you rank Mob with Blizzard and Tornado?

#9 Red Haired Shanks

Red Haired Shanks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:48 PM

i hope gamria is right and the series will iprove, because right now, IMO, it's not nearly as good as the Onepunch man.

The first 19 episodes had a few laughs but that's it! Nothing too interesting, funny or exciting..

The master is the character that mostly keeps my interest in this manga and has been reaaly funny some times.

#10 garlyle

garlyle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:00 PM

Power wise, Mob is definitely above Blizzard but a far cry from Tornado. Skill wise though, he is a total beginner. Honestly though, I think people are being awfully hard on this series. Onepunch man is a brilliant concept; lightning in a bottle even. I think it is fair to give the series more than 19 chapters to establish itself. Looking at the comments on mangainn, you'd think this series had been going on for 100 plus chapters and will never improve.

Do I like Mob as much as onepunch? Of course not, but I see the potential, and I am most certainly enjoying whats happening thus far. Honestly, that sadness explosion was even more impressive than anger. Fitting everything back together WHILE saving everybody affected is awfully impressive.

• number21 likes this

#11 Lone_ant

Lone_ant

Shinninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,703 posts
  • LocationWhere I am

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:13 PM

Oh yeah maybe I should start doing this lol:

One punch man spoilers:

Spoiler

#12 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 07:55 PM

Come now, what good manga is at its best when it's only at 21 chapters?  

Mentality like that is how Naruto and Bleach have completely ran out of steam

Give it time. Besides, even if Mob Psycho 100 won't be as good as One Punch Man, it still offers an alternate but interesting flavour

I'll say that just like with One Punch Man, ONE spends the first dozen chapters of Mob Psycho 100 developing its main character

Afterwards, when more characters come into the fold, the story becomes more interesting

And the coming arc with the Student Council's Big Cleanup offers just that.

Mob Psycho 100 currently has 50 chapters

After the latest arc, I can safely say that Master Reigen is the best mentor Mob can ask for

These last few chapters have been... wow...

Unlike Onepunch man who is pretty much set in his life philosophy, Mob, as a middle school student,  is still getting there and grappling with the implikcations of his ability. Blonde guy was a nice foil for Mob in this regard.. as he said so himself, this is what he could have been had he not have good mentor figures in his life.

Still.... that ??? mode. Just... you think it's a different entity than Mob in there? It seemed he was unconscious at that time. Maybe it's a result of him repressing his powers too much.

On a side note. How do you rank Mob with Blizzard and Tornado?

Exactly, character-wise it makes Mob more complex than Saitama

Optimistically speaking, Berserk Mob is likely his body's natural self-preservation mechanism

Pessimistically speaking, Berserk Mob is a whole other split personality

Power wise, Mob is definitely above Blizzard but a far cry from Tornado. Skill wise though, he is a total beginner. Honestly though, I think people are being awfully hard on this series. Onepunch man is a brilliant concept; lightning in a bottle even. I think it is fair to give the series more than 19 chapters to establish itself. Looking at the comments on mangainn, you'd think this series had been going on for 100 plus chapters and will never improve.

Do I like Mob as much as onepunch? Of course not, but I see the potential, and I am most certainly enjoying whats happening thus far. Honestly, that sadness explosion was even more impressive than anger. Fitting everything back together WHILE saving everybody affected is awfully impressive.

http://forums.arlong...l=1#post3081041

"ONE said although Tatsumaki is far above the usual everyday Mob, no one knows which is above who when Mob is 100%

Meaning, he's comparable to the most powerful psychic in the world."

Edited by gamria, 23 December 2013 - 08:36 PM.

• JDG973, number21 and garlyle like this

Owner of the Ansatsu Database blog, with information on our favourite middle school assassins:

#13 Lone_ant

Lone_ant

Shinninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,703 posts
  • LocationWhere I am

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:21 PM

1387663518057.jpg

ONE poswted an image.

• garlyle likes this

#14 garlyle

garlyle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:58 AM

The new chapter has really set things in motion. People are looking to use Mob from all sides. His teacher, whose influence is actually helpful, his class mates, delinquents, his would be cult, and perhaps even his brother. I'm really enjoying the series thus far.

#15 Red Haired Shanks

Red Haired Shanks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:01 AM

the recent chapters are very good. Mob's brother is a very interesting character and next chapter we might see them clash!

#16 garlyle

garlyle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:54 AM

We very well may see them fight but I'm hoping that Ritsu's motivations were to protect Mob and not to be "better" than him. We'll see though. Still absolutely loving this series.

#17 Red Haired Shanks

Red Haired Shanks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:27 PM

@garlyle

Not so much as protect but as being able to understand him and keep up with him it's my bet, but yeah, we'll see..

#18 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:53 AM

http://www.batoto.ne...y_nerieru-scans

Gamria's Respect Meter for Mob: 160%

#19 garlyle

garlyle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 10:09 AM

I guess because Mob has always had Ritsu there, he's come off as unassuming. When it came down to it though, it is really great to see what type of person he really is. I love this series more with each new chapter. The characters are really engaging. ONE is a killer character author.

#20 garlyle

garlyle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:17 AM

New chapter is out and if it is any indication of what's to come, this series is seriously going to rock. Plus ONE keeps upping his art game. Following spoiler is a legitimate spoiler.

Spoiler
If he keeps improving at this rate, we won't NEED a Murata version, though I certainly wouldn't be opposed to one. His current style reminds me of early Yagi Norihiro, pre-Claymore, during his vastly superior series, Angel Densetsu, one of my favorite series ever.

Edited by garlyle, 06 January 2014 - 10:26 AM.

• JDG973 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users