706 replies to this topic

#621 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,304 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 06:31 PM

He is also associated with healing; ancient Indian physicians were said to be empowered by him.

So both Ryuuken and Haschwald have a direct association to Vishnu then?

Kubo's announcement will be his new work will be called Tide; not as strong as bleach but does its trolling in a more colorful fashion! - arcane_chaos

Spoiler

#622 Milareppa

Milareppa

Live Long and Prosper

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,094 posts

User's Awards

Posted 21 May 2016 - 08:53 PM

Sometimes I wonder if we're overthinking this. I mean that theory seems a lot like Naruto, and it's making me think it's more of a trope in shounen.

I'm sure it crops up a lot as a source of inspiration for heroes in a lot of works within the same culture. Look at how many English-language stories get inspired by King Arthur stories (usually the Thomas Malory version).

Here's an example: both Inu Yasha and Bleach are inspired by the wish-fulfilling gem of Buddhism and the four-souls concept of Shinto. However, Inu Yasha gives the Shikon no Tama predominantly Shinto elements over Buddhist ones, and Kubo does the reverse - greater Buddhist elements than Shinto. They've basically been inspired by the same sources, however.

#623 Chillman

Chillman

Shinigami

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,446 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 01:18 AM

What four souls concept in Inuyasha?

Cnet probably has the chapters out by now, so any passing comments on Askin, Lille, or Rukia's role regarding Yhwach?

#624 Milareppa

Milareppa

Live Long and Prosper

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,094 posts

User's Awards

Posted 22 May 2016 - 11:25 AM

What four souls concept in Inuyasha?

Cnet probably has the chapters out by now, so any passing comments on Askin, Lille, or Rukia's role regarding Yhwach?

The Shikon no Tama is based on the real life ichirei shikon theory. There's a Japanese concept of mitama which is the soul of a dead person or kami. Mitama consists of several souls, relatively independent of each other, and ichirei shikon is the idea that both humans and souls consist of one spirit and four souls. Each of the four souls has its own nature, but all four must complement each other to make up the one spirit.

• Naobi - the 'one spirit' that the four souls make up when their independent characteristics work together and complement each other. This is the soul with which a person is born. If the soul becomes twisted (going off on the wrong path), it becomes Magahi instead.
  • Aramitama (turbulent soul) - the spirit in a rough, raging and violent state, often appearing during times of war and disease (it might also be considered the state of the soul when manifesting its power). When the spirit is pacified and properly respected, Nigimitama can appear. Moderating aramitama requires moderating oneself and behaving correctly and with humility in all things.
  • Nigimitama (harmonious/tranquil soul) - the baseline state of a soul. This is the soul in its normal, functional state. Moderating nigimitama requires nurturing affection, compassion and communication, and being able to forgive both oneself and others, and letting go of selfishness.
  • Sakimitama (happy/propitious soul) - the soul in a state of blessing and prosperity. It is considered an auspicious provider. Moderating sakimitama requires moderating your emotions, finding satisfaction in even trivial things, to increase happiness and to love all things in creation. Losing moderation of this leads to the spirit losing its humanity.
  • Kushimitama (wondrous/miraculous/salubrious soul) - the soul in a transformative and healing state. It manifests in a mysterious way through supernatural means and brings good health and medical recovery to the spirit. Moderating kushimitama requires opening the mind and having clarity of thought, to know oneself and recognise the true nature of all things. This is wisdom. Losing moderation of this leads to prejudice, egoism and being blinded by the superficial.

Arimitama and Nigimitama are the manifested souls and are considered complementary opposites. When they function properly together, they provide awareness of the present and of the subconscious.

Sakimitama and Kushimitama are the hidden souls and are considered a complementary pair. When they function properly together, they provide insight and creativity and awareness of the past and future.

When the spirit is in Naobi, the functions of the four souls are courage (Aramitama), closeness (Nigimitama), benevolence (Sakimitama) and understanding (Kushimitama).

When the spirit is in Magahi, the functions of the four souls change to, in order, competition, hatred, conflict and madness.

The Shikon no Tama is at war with this balance between Naobi and Magahi. Midoriko was the harmonious side and Magatsuhi was the imbalanced side, and Kikyo was basically maintaining the Naobi balance so that the jewel didn't keep slipping into Magahi (which is what Naraku wanted). I think what Kagome ended up doing was achieving perfect balance so that the Shikon no Tama cancelled itself out of existence.

I did think about whether to post this here, given that it's a question about Inu Yasha. However, as you can probably see from what I've typed, this is threaded through Bleach as well. In fact, what I've just written for Kushimitama is basically the reason Ichibe'e is listed as a War Potential, and the basis of his shinigami power, and the difference between Magahi and Naobi essentially explains the difference in Ichigo's inner hollow's behaviour before and after Ichigo understood that the inner Hollow is his true shinigami power. Achieving ichirei shikon is essentially Ichigo's journey through this manga.

Takahashi approached the wish-fulfilling jewel concept (which is a Buddhist concept not Shinto) through the ichirei shikon theory, hence the jewel's name (Shikon no Tama). But she had the Buddhist character (Miroku) explain it all and comprehend it best. Kubo approaches the wish-fulfilling jewel concept through the Buddhist route, hence the jewel's name Hougyoku (the wish-fulfilling jewel's name in Japanese is Houjyu), but the Bleachverse soul set-up around it - and Ichigo's entire spiritual make-up - is based on the ichirei shikon theory.

Edited by Milareppa, 22 May 2016 - 11:33 AM.

• angervictor and Chillman like this

#625 Chillman

Chillman

Shinigami

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,446 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 11:50 AM

Cool.

#626 Chillman

Chillman

Shinigami

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,446 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 09:36 PM

https://mangahelpers.../releases/42515

#627 Giru

Giru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 01:56 AM

https://mangahelpers.../releases/42515

This translation makes so much more sense, thanks for the link.

The whole discussion between Yhwach and Ichigo was so weird in the Mangastream version. So no Ichigo is not a school girl and Yhwach did not gave birth to Ichigo.

Can't wait for a better translation for chapter 674!

#628 Chillman

Chillman

Shinigami

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,446 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 06:50 AM

I don't think you were supposed to take birth literally like a mother. The school girl comment was meant to be emasculating, like in cnet's version.

#629 Giru

Giru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:13 AM

Well, read the comments, some people did take it literally  :D

Also, in the Mangastream version, Yhwach says that Ichigo's reiatsu is taking visible form... While here he says "it is as if I can see it take shape" which is quite different. As for the school girl thingy, it's just that it sounds weird in Yhwach's mouth. It's kinda out of character... Mangastream tends to use this type of wording even for people that would obviously not talk like that.

#630 angervictor

angervictor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 04:45 PM

On the subject of speculating about the Ishida family name, there's something I learned a long time ago (not in any manga/anime context), that I may not fully understand. I wish I'd mentioned back when Plasma was active, but if anyone does speak Japanese, perhaps they can comment - given that I could be misunderstanding.

The kanji normally used in the name Ishida, mean 'stone/rock' and '(rice) field'. However, there are some other rarer interpretations of the kanji linked to esoteric Buddhism. There's also a play on words where different kanji to form the name Ishida can mean 'doctor/physician' and 'piano player' (I mention this because Ryuuken's bow technique is called Klavier, 'piano').

With the Buddhism connection, the 'ishi' can refer to a gem or jewel, and the 'da' kanji is viewed as a boxed-in swastika (田 = 卍 boxed-in). The swastika came to Japanese Buddhism from Hinduism, where the swastika was engraved on the chest of Vishnu. Some early buddhists would engrave it on their chests because of this (and I still wonder if Uryuu still has the quincy cross engraved on his chest). In this context, the 'field' kanji represents the cultivation of merit, basically meaning 'someone who possesses all virtues'.

Ichigo's connection to the swastika is very overt. He's plastered in the symbolism. There's a good chance Uryuu has a much more hidden, secretive connection to the same symbolism. Ichigo's connected to the negative rain symbolism, but I've speculated for years that Uryuu might bring the more positive rain symbolism to harmonise Ichigo.

Anyway, Vishnu and Shiva are heavily linked together, considered the complement of each other. Together they become the perfect form of the supreme deity and are separately viewed as manifestations of the same Supreme Being.

Shiva symbolism is linked to Ichigo (the transformer, a being of limitless form, which is practically the reason Ichigo is regarded as a War Potential, heavily linked to the sun and crescent moon). Rudra-Shiva is a dual god form where Rudra brings the storm rain and archery symbolism to Shiva. Rudra-Shiva is the liberation of souls from the cycle of rebirth.

Visnhu is the protector (of the universe and humanity). He has mastered the power of the past, present and future, can defeat very powerful beings. However, although he's a supreme being, he's rarely depicted as standing alone - he's usually the companion/guide/advisor of others. His power is deeply connected to light and gods of rain. His power is latent, lying hidden until a great evil arises, at which point he incarnates into human form and the power awakens as necessary to confront the evil. He is also associated with healing; ancient Indian physicians were said to be empowered by him.

If its related to Hinduism, I can pitch in as I am a Hindu from the priest caste (brahmin). :D

Forgive me for this lengthy and boring post about the swastika and its association with Hinduism.

Short intro about word Swastika:

Swastika is a Sanskrit word, su meaning "good, " asti meaning "to be " and ka, a suffix. It is translated as "good being, " "fortune, " literally "it is well " or "conducive to well-being." For Hindus, the swastika is a symbol of auspiciousness, prosperity and good fortune. It also represents the sun and the cycle of life. "The swastika's right-angled arms reflect the fact that the path toward our objectives is often not straight, but takes unexpected turns. They denote also the indirect way in which Divinity is reached--through intuition and not by intellect. Symbolically, the swastika's cross is said to represent God and creation. The four bent arms stand for the four human aims, called purushartha: righteousness, dharma; wealth, artha; love, kama; and liberation, moksha. This is a potent emblem of Sanatana Dharma, the eternal truth. It also represents the world wheel, eternally changing around a fixed center, God. The swastika is regarded as a symbol of the muladhara chakra, the center of consciousness at the base of the spine, and in some yoga schools with the manipura chakra at the navel, the center of the microcosmic sun (Surya). Hindus use the swastika to mark the opening pages of account books, thresholds, doors and offerings. No ceremony or sacrifice is considered complete without it, for it is believed to have the power to ward off misfortune and negative forces."

This is the famous Shanti mandra from the Rig Veda (oldest of Vedas thought to be from Indus valley civilization)

This is from Vishnu Sahasranama poem (1008 names of Vishnu).

svasti na indro vṛddhaśravāḥ |
svasti naḥ pūṣā viśvavedāḥ |
svasti nastārkṣyo ariṣṭanemiḥ |
svasti no bṛhaspatirdadhātu
auṃ śāntiḥ śāntiḥ śāntiḥ ||

May Indra of ancient fame be auspicious to us;
May the supremely rich (or all-knowing) Pusa (god of the earth)
Be propitious to us;
May Garuda, the destroyer of evil,
Be well disposed towards us;
May Brihaspati ensure our welfare.
Aum! Peace! Peace! Peace!

Sanaa tsana tana tamah kapilah kapi-ravyayah |
Svastida svasti krut svasti svastibhuk svasti-dakshinah ||

Meaning:

Svastikrut: One who works bestowing what is good.
Svasti: One whose auspicious form is characterized by supreme Bliss.
Svastibhuk: One who enjoys the Svasti mentioned above or who preserves the Svasti of devotees.
Svasti-dakshinah: One who augments as Svasti (auspiciousness).

This I found in Quora and I am not sure if this is true. I have not read much about Hitler other than what he did in WWII. But I know the word Arya means pure, supreme etc.., and Kalki is the final (yet to arrive) form of Vishnu. I have no idea about how and why Nazis used Swastika. I will leave it to people here who knows about that subject.

The Nazi swastika's resemblance to Hindu symbol is no accident. The Nazis had substantially twisted Hindu ideals to suit their needs. The word "Aryan"  that Nazis were so fond of is from the Sanskrit word "Arya" meaning supreme, pure -- to denote a class of people. While in Hindu sense it is used in more positive contexts (suave, refined, scholarly), for the Nazis the word meant the supreme race. One of the key thought leaders in the Nazi group -- Savitri Devi (actually a French woman with the original name Maximiani Portas) -- claimed Hitler to be an avatar of Hindu god Vishnu. According to Hindu mythology the last avatar of Vishnu -- Kalki -- would destroy the world and take the good people to start a new cycle. For the Nazis, Hitler was the Kalki. As Savitri Devi thought herself as a thinker, she called herself a Brahmin (top caste in Hindu system) and married one. It was she who connected the India's rebel leader Netaji Bose to the Axis powers (especially Japan). (For his part, Bose married an Austrian - Emilie Schenkl and the couple was treated very well by the Germans.)

Edited by angervictor, 25 May 2016 - 04:47 PM.

• Milareppa likes this

#631 Chillman

Chillman

Shinigami

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,446 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 02:15 PM

https://mangahelpers.../releases/42260

The Sanrei glove scene
  • DarkNemesis likes this

#632 Chillman

Chillman

Shinigami

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,446 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 05:55 AM

You guys know that with cnet, you can look up those scenes where you're always skeptical on the translation right? I can't remember them all.

#633 Chillman

Chillman

Shinigami

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,446 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 05:29 PM

https://mangahelpers.../releases/42545

https://mangahelpers.../releases/42546
  • DarkNemesis likes this

#634 Chillman

Chillman