Samurai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:15 PM

minitokyoxxxholic13636.jpg

xxxHolic

Watanuki Kimihiro is haunted by visions of ghosts and spirits. Seemingly by chance, he encounters a mysterious witch named Yuuko, who claims she can help. In desperation, he accepts, but realizes that he's just been tricked into working for Yuuko in order to pay off the cost of her services. Soon he's employed in her little shop - a job which turns out to be nothing like his previous work experience!

(Don't forget to hide discussions in spoilers if they reveal anything major that happens later in the series, in case anyone hasn't completely read it yet)

TbXzF3g.png

Tumblr | "Too weird to live, too rare to die." - Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas

#2 Tinky Winky

Tinky Winky

Girly and Distasteful

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • LocationCockaigne

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:23 PM

One of the funniest stuffs I've read. The end was a bit tragic, though. 

#3 Bethhy

Bethhy

Samurai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:29 PM

It wasn't the same after what happened with Yuuko, after that I completely lost interest in xxxHolic

not to mention the ending, too abrupt

TbXzF3g.png

#4 Tinky Winky

Tinky Winky

Girly and Distasteful

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • LocationCockaigne

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:11 PM

Although they didn't state explicitly, but the main character went crazy in the end, resorted to smoking dope, lived like a hobo believing he had two cute servants who slept with him on a king sized bed in a mansion-sized shrine which was invisible to everyone but himself, and kept listening to the woman's voice on the radio. Kinda depressing. I didn't like it one bit. Even remembering it makes me hit someone. 

#5 Bethhy

Bethhy

Samurai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:32 PM

Watanuki had so much potential, I'm wondering if CLAMP will keep to their tradition of crossing over characters from their other series to visit him.

He's pretty much the Yuuko of the entire CLAMP collection. They just need a time-dimension jump or a way to communicate with him and he'll 'grant their wishes' for them.

But if that's true, that's kind of like a device for CLAMP to trap his character into a useful tool that could be used as loopholes in other works.

TbXzF3g.png

#6 Kazekage

Kazekage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:41 PM

I enjoyed this manga.  Though more for Yuuko's qurikness and the art style than for the actual story. The story itself didn't take itself too seriously early on and I enjoyed it for that but after a while it didn't feel like it was going anywhere then we get a sudden abrupt shift in gears with the story getting serious and tying into TRC (which I didn't read).  It was a good manga with great characters and great art but the second half, especially around the time it was ending, could have been much better.   

I look forward to reading  other works done by CLAMP.  

Edited by Kazekage, 20 December 2012 - 11:42 PM.

#7 m1hawkgsm

m1hawkgsm

Forum Mathematiquè & Reduntarian

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • LocationLand of Hobos and Ken

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:45 AM

I liked the plot, despite the randomness. It had a bit of continuity with Watanuki's development and the foreshadowing of his eventual downfall. What got me at the end is that. . . he defeated himself. You usually see the MC at least trying his best and failing (if he/she fails) but here he legitimately lets himself fall and never understand why Yuuko died and did all she did for him.

BUT the ending was poetic. The butterfly was so goddamnably beautiful. Watching into the dark night~

Good series.

D9wwdJt.jpg

#8 Tinky Winky

Tinky Winky

Girly and Distasteful

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • LocationCockaigne

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:49 AM

I always had a feeling that whenever Yuuko appeared in this, even in comical situations, her demeanor and aura in general was always depressing. 

#9 Kazekage

Kazekage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:09 PM

I always had a feeling that whenever Yuuko appeared in this, even in comical situations, her demeanor and aura in general was always depressing. 

I think it's more cynical than depressing.  I got the feeling that she is someone who was burdened with knowing what was going to happen in the future, both through her own intuition and her abilities. As we saw with the chapters about the woman with the monkey paw, the habitual liar and the one with the possessed photograph, she is well aware of the grim outcomes of those events but lets them pass because it's the 'way of the world' and she knows that if it doesn't come to pass now, it will in the future. The last chapter shows just how far she went trying to help Watanuki.  It's too bad that the kid made the decision that he did. 

• Ren-san likes this

#10 m1hawkgsm

m1hawkgsm

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:15 AM

I think it's more cynical than depressing.  I got the feeling that she is someone who was burdened with knowing what was going to happen in the future, both through her own intuition and her abilities. As we saw with the chapters about the woman with the monkey paw, the habitual liar and the one with the possessed photograph, she is well aware of the grim outcomes of those events but lets them pass because it's the 'way of the world' and she knows that if it doesn't come to pass now, it will in the future. The last chapter shows just how far she went trying to help Watanuki.  It's too bad that the kid made the decision that he did. 

That's depressing as it is. It means that even a character of her stature is helpless against the flow of fate and time, which renders the efforts of others rather pointless.

THOUGH, I have to say CLAMP had a nice contrast with the magical creatures we saw in Holic. That dude that polished pipes, Doumeki's grandpa--they probably have as much knowledge as Yuuko, yet they're entirely serene, without the cynicism or abysmal attitude Yuuko seemed to have. It was a good contrast.

The tragedy is that Watanuki never got the picture. He never, I think, understood his place in the grand scheme of things. He missed the point, if there was one, entirely.

D9wwdJt.jpg

#11 Tinky Winky

Tinky Winky

Girly and Distasteful

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • LocationCockaigne

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:33 AM

The tragedy is that Watanuki never got the picture. He never, I think, understood his place in the grand scheme of things. He missed the point, if there was one, entirely.

I mean, the way how everybody he knew slowly died (Domeki, the girl, their generations, etc.), and he was left all alone, unaging, trapped inside the house (though he able to go out towards the end), and waiting for Yuuko; he must be regretting it surely. It was kinda scary and depressing at the same time. 

#12 Lone_ant

Lone_ant

Shinninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,703 posts
  • LocationWhere I am

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:29 AM

Nah, actually his situation was in part his choice as well. He's entirely free to just up and leave and do whatever, but that would mean:

1. The time-line distortions would collapse and leave many people bereft of the services the shop provided (which was MANY).

2. Being mortal and dying thereby never catching up to Yuuko

3. Causing a major disturbance in the flow of things concerning the many fates tied with the shop and the objects in it.

He is.. content in so far as his situation can give contentment I should think. The fact that he's willing to wait and not rush things faithful in hitsuzen is enough to show that I should think.

#13 Tinky Winky

Tinky Winky

Girly and Distasteful

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • LocationCockaigne

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:15 AM

Well, besides waiting for Yuuko, why would he even care about the shop, so much as to not leave it for three generations?

#14 Kazekage

Kazekage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:01 PM

Well, besides waiting for Yuuko, why would he even care about the shop, so much as to not leave it for three generations?

Well, the shop does provide many important services to people regarding spirit related problems. He was also waiting for Yuuko there. 

#15 m1hawkgsm

m1hawkgsm

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 04:44 AM

Well, the shop does provide many important services to people regarding spirit related problems. He was also waiting for Yuuko there. 

But Yuuko wanted him to leave and give it up. Why?

That butterfly wasn't just a sentimental thing, was it?

D9wwdJt.jpg

#16 Tinky Winky

Tinky Winky

Girly and Distasteful

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • LocationCockaigne

Posted 25 December 2012 - 05:48 AM

Sure, that was a way to cope up with eternity. 

But Yuuko wanted him to leave and give it up. Why?

That butterfly wasn't just a sentimental thing, was it?

She wanted him to move on and be free of her memories. But although many would think it was tragic for Watanuki to stay in the shop, I think that's what he really wanted that is to stay connected with Yuuko's memories somehow. This can be explained by the significance of the egg.

Anyway, here is some news I found. Santa is real. 

http://seventhstyle....anga-series-pv/

• Ren-san likes this

#17 m1hawkgsm

m1hawkgsm

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:40 AM

That's certainly a point of view I haven't taken into account. It still feels tragic for the human spirit, though. Generations have to pass, memories, efforts, and emotions sacrificed and forgotten, before a single person's misguided will can change. And then--it may not change after all.

But very good clarification.

D9wwdJt.jpg

#18 Tejón rebelde

Tejón rebelde

Crack Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:29 AM

xxxHolic Rei chapter 1

Wait, what's this? It looks like it's set before the end of xxxHolic, but what's with all this suspicious talk about return ?

I don't understand, but Yuuko is there. :aww:

• Ren-san and Lone_ant like this

#19 Ren-san

Ren-san

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:36 AM

This is the best news that I have heard today.

Thanks for sharing this news!!

Yuuko outfit at the end of the chapter looked amazing.

It was nice to see Domeki, Watanuki, Yuuko, Maro, and Maru again.

I wonder when Himawari is going to be making an appearance again.

Only then will then gang be officially back together again.

Edited by Ren-san, 03 March 2013 - 10:23 AM.

15871545849_286028ae7d_o.jpg

#20 Vande

Vande

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:03 PM

Holy crap, I had no idea xxxHolic was returning! Sooooo happy :D

Nice thing to come back to on OM forums :)

Edited by Vande, 03 March 2013 - 03:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users