66 replies to this topic

#1 Shin

Shin

Ultimate Survivor

• Moderators
  • 1,325 posts
  • LocationUnder a bridge

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:04 PM

This thread is to discuss a new Battle Royale (title may change) tournament or character battle structure. The old thread can be located here. So use this thread to suggest ideas for the direction we should take the battles and tournaments in for this part of the forum.

Though a quick note to those unsure of what this is about, this is for setting up battles between characters and discussing and debating how those fights would actually turn out rather than it being a popularity contest, which is what the OMCB was.

Also here is a ongoing tournament that some of the members have set up that is a good example.

• DaEvilWithin, ANewLight, Tokoya and 2 others like this

#2 ANewLight

ANewLight

Hokage

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,238 posts
  • LocationWherever I'm Needed.

User's Awards

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:00 PM

Battle Royale (title may change)

Well I think we should only change the title if we make a lot of changes the format.

Team battles were a great idea that was introduced by the One Piece team (I think) in the last OMBR. I think that team battles could be something we should tweak or experiment with more in the future. It was really an amazing idea.

#3 Shin

Shin

Ultimate Survivor

• Moderators
  • 1,325 posts
  • LocationUnder a bridge

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:31 PM

Yeah, I said the title might change because I don't really know what you all want to do. We can do whatever you all want really within reason. I mean we have an entire sub-forum going unused. So we can have battle tournaments, random matches, characters from different series fighting, from the same series, team-ups, and so on.

I will help run the battles, and maybe I can get Greg and Rhyssa to let normal members to open threads here as well, but you all need to decide on what you would like to see. I'm pretty open to continuing what Sena did or trying something new.

#4 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

Feisty

• Moderators
  • 12,560 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:54 AM

Can we do random matches and make an announcement to direct vs. battles here?

• Nmaan likes this

#5 Srki

Srki

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts
  • LocationSerbia

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:41 PM

Better yet, can we get new subforum for individual matches, just like we have conference room for meta stuff?

• DaEvilWithin likes this

#6 ANewLight

ANewLight

Hokage

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,238 posts

User's Awards

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:33 PM

What if we add story elements to the matches. We set up a scenario to get the two sides fighting and whoever is running the thread can add new elements based on how the debate is going.

One thing that comes up more ofter than not is "Oh he/ she wouldn't do that right away". So what if the battle could be split into phases. Using Naruto as an example the battle would start with everything but taijutsu and ninja tools restricted, that way we know that the two sides get to feel each other out. Then for the next phase they would be able to use any C rank jutsu, then at the next phase they can use up to A rank. At any phase the battle could end automatically if the judges agree that it is over. So it's possible that someone could kill their enemy in the first phase.

• Pimpbankai3050 likes this

#7 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,777 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:43 PM

Well, if we add in condition I suppose any Itachi's match has to start with ''100 meters apart from each other'' to prevent LOLfingerGenjutsu from being seen :D

Spoiler Top Favorite Male Manga Characters

#8 Shin

Shin

Ultimate Survivor

• Moderators
  • 1,325 posts
  • LocationUnder a bridge

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:25 PM

Yeah, we can do themed matches with specific setting in mind. I don't see why not.

Better yet, can we get new subforum for individual matches, just like we have conference room for meta stuff?

I don't know if we need a separate sub-forum for it. What would the main part of this Battle Arena board be used for?

We could just use tags or brackets (like [Character] as seen in the other forums) and have some sort of shorthand description to tell if the match is for people from the same series, different series, team matches, part of a tournament, and so on.

#9 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

Feisty

• Moderators
  • 12,560 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:35 PM

Also hiding the old ones would be nice.
  • ddboy102 likes this

#10 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,777 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:43 PM

I need Tale's posts and Damanos's posts to pull off feats for Enel and Moria. :P

Spoiler Top Favorite Male Manga Characters

#11 Srki

Srki

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts
  • LocationSerbia

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:03 AM

I don't know if we need a separate sub-forum for it. What would the main part of this Battle Arena board be used for?

We could just use tags or brackets (like [Character] as seen in the other forums) and have some sort of shorthand description to tell if the match is for people from the same series, different series, team matches, part of a tournament, and so on.

It would be much easier with third subforum. Yes, we could use tags, but it would end up in mess for no reason.

I mean, unless there is a reason for not creating subforum, it is the best solution.

#12 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

Feisty

• Moderators
  • 12,560 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:03 PM

I need Tale's posts and Damanos's posts to pull off feats for Enel and Moria. :P

Hiding isn't deleting. You can still see it in archive mode or w/e.

#13 Shin

Shin

Ultimate Survivor

• Moderators
  • 1,325 posts
  • LocationUnder a bridge

Posted 22 August 2014 - 06:11 PM

Yeah, I was going to archive all the old battles once we get things started. Like I did with the old OMCB threads.

It would be much easier with third subforum. Yes, we could use tags, but it would end up in mess for no reason.

I mean, unless there is a reason for not creating subforum, it is the best solution.

I mean I guess we could create another one, but my only concern would be that some sub-forums might become inactive as members focus on just one of them. I guess it all depends on how we separate them.

#14 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

Feisty

• Moderators
  • 12,560 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:13 PM

@Shin

Do you want us posters to create threads for battles whenever, or do we have to suggest and run it by you?

#15 ddboy102

ddboy102

Less Beautiful than DEW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,006 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:30 PM

I kinda think doing this would bring in posters. 

f7c22295-c095-456a-acad-b4dcabd18025_zps

- At some point, you gotta decide for yourself who you’re going to be. Can’t let nobody make that decision for you.

#16 Shin

Shin

Ultimate Survivor

• Moderators
  • 1,325 posts
  • LocationUnder a bridge

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:06 PM

@DaEvilWithin I think I'd like to have a bit more structure than anyone making a thread for any battle they want. That might get a bit hectic.

Though I guess the first question that needs to be asked is if you all want just individual battles that can be debated, or if you want to set up another tournament. If you want a tournament then we can try and figure out what kind of tournament and how the fighters advance. Like with normal polls or some type of judging system like you had before.

#17 ANewLight

ANewLight

Hokage

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,238 posts

User's Awards

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:15 PM

I'd like to see series specific tournaments for the Big 3 and FT again. If we wanted to try something new I'd like to suggest a Round-robin tournaments.

• Pimpbankai3050 and Raiden like this

#18 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

Feisty

• Moderators
  • 12,560 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:24 PM

@DaEvilWithin I think I'd like to have a bit more structure than anyone making a thread for any battle they want. That might get a bit hectic.

Though I guess the first question that needs to be asked is if you all want just individual battles that can be debated, or if you want to set up another tournament. If you want a tournament then we can try and figure out what kind of tournament and how the fighters advance. Like with normal polls or some type of judging system like you had before.

For structure as far as individual battles go:

• Designate a few people to be able to create threads
  • Allow this meta-thread to be used for suggestions for said threads
  • Leave a poll or have said designated people judge a winner. No real time constraint for judgements here since it doesn't affect anything really.

I'd rather not setup a tournament because I don't think it's feasible atm.

• Pimpbankai3050 likes this

#19 Srki

Srki

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts
  • LocationSerbia

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:45 AM

You don't need polls or judges. Whole point of this is debate. Polls and judges really don't bring anything on table. Yes, there will be debates where sides wont agree on outcome, but polls and judges wont change that.

As for creating threads, just let anyone do it. If people like it, they will keep it up with discussion. If they don't, it will die. It is that simple. There is no need for complicated systems.

For tournaments, smaller ones can be done in one thread. Not every tournament has to have 80+ characters and four matches going on simultaneously. Smaller tournaments(with eight or sixteen characters) can be done in one thread and can be made and maintained by one person.

#20 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

Feisty

• Moderators
  • 12,560 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:47 AM

Polls are useful for consensus and just because data is cool.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users