Photo

Attack on Titan: Chapter Discussion Thread (Part 2)

Attack on Titan

• Please log in to reply
1225 replies to this topic

#41 Lucky Wolf

Lucky Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 11:57 PM

anyone notice that mikasa is both asian and an akerman... she must be OP or somethin.... 

#42 tenchu

tenchu

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 04:29 AM

Eren needs to stop being a little bitch. Did he forget about vowing to kill all the titans with his bare hands? To hell with the Reiss family. If they're so great, why are the titans still around? The answer is that Rod is full of it. That's all he needs to know.

By the end of this little arc, I'm hoping Eren will have had his fill of being useless. Probably going to get that kill to survive speech he once gave Mikasa parroted back at him, followed by a titan smackdown. I sure hope so, anyway. Haven't had any titan fights in a long time.

I wouldn't mind Historia getting killed off, either. Honestly, too many of the survey corps characters are starting to feel safe, which is counterintuitive to the atmosphere this series was originally known for. I might be in the minority here, but I think Levi should get the axe eventually too. Humanity losing its strongest soldier will really heighten the tension.

agree on some of your points. I don't understand eren's reaction, the reiss family are not good people, the had the titan power for over 100 years, could had destroyed the titans instead they made a jail for people and erased their memories.

I thought the manga was gonna go in a carnage, revenge, I take what's mine kind of path. I loved Mikasa when she was on "give me what's mine or i'll chop you bitch" mode. Now Eren's a bitch, mikasa has taken a stepback to levi, the story makes little sense. Heck I hope Kenny makes a bloodbath out of the whole situation, and he gets a million dollars in this season of survivor

24gvaiu.jpg

#43 Sexy Rat

Sexy Rat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 08:04 AM

Eren needs to stop being a little bitch. Did he forget about vowing to kill all the titans with his bare hands? To hell with the Reiss family. If they're so great, why are the titans still around? The answer is that Rod is full of it. That's all he needs to know.

By the end of this little arc, I'm hoping Eren will have had his fill of being useless. Probably going to get that kill to survive speech he once gave Mikasa parroted back at him, followed by a titan smackdown. I sure hope so, anyway. Haven't had any titan fights in a long time.

I wouldn't mind Historia getting killed off, either. Honestly, too many of the survey corps characters are starting to feel safe, which is counterintuitive to the atmosphere this series was originally known for. I might be in the minority here, but I think Levi should get the axe eventually too. Humanity losing its strongest soldier will really heighten the tension.

Agree with everything except for the part about Levi deying

#44 RamenRenegade

RamenRenegade

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,701 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 12 January 2015 - 09:26 AM

I do see Levy dying. Just not now. Probably near the end. Badasses who are good guys (but aren't main characters) always die in stories like this in order to elevate the hero.

4139c0ca-f053-40db-8794-a7ad05685299.jpg

"A Wise Man Can Learn More From A Foolish Question

Than A Foolish Man Can Learn From A Wise Answer." Questions?

Join the Legion of Ramen / My Fanfiction Account

Heaven & Earth: The NaruSaku FC

Spoiler A list of Ramen's Nicknames

Spoiler Favorite All-time Manga
  •  

• #45 DrugzRule

DrugzRule

Rock Star

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 5,119 posts
    • LocationExiled in Iceland

Posted 13 January 2015 - 10:45 AM

Reading the chapter again I noticed that Eren and Historia have become foils to each other (kinda obvious but I am slow to pick up these things xD). Historia is pretty much not only replacing Eren but learning the truth about Grisha has made Eren deem his existence worthless (Mikasa strongly objects though ^^), not much unlike how Historia felt before but now after resolving her daddy issues she seems to have finally found a purpose in her life. Whatever Rod's true intentions are I think Historia has pretty much become daddy's little villain. Our poor fallen angel will probably die in this arc :(

• /2aw and Urek Mazino like this

#46 RamenRenegade

RamenRenegade

Rock Star

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 2,701 posts
    • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 13 January 2015 - 12:12 PM

I wouldn't consider them foils because Historia is being manipulated. I'm just disappointed in how easily she has been manipulated by a man who has clearly shown that he really doesn't care for her. But she's so desperate for her father's acceptance that she appears willing to do this. This may lead to her death sadly.

4139c0ca-f053-40db-8794-a7ad05685299.jpg

"A Wise Man Can Learn More From A Foolish Question

Than A Foolish Man Can Learn From A Wise Answer." Questions?

Join the Legion of Ramen / My Fanfiction Account

Heaven & Earth: The NaruSaku FC

Spoiler A list of Ramen's Nicknames

Spoiler Favorite All-time Manga
  •  

• #47 ndriana

ndriana

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 544 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 05:43 PM

I dont think Levi is the son of the whore mentioned in this chapter.

Despite his looks Levi is 30ish.. 32 or 34 and I dont think Kenny is 20~ years older than he is.

If he's not then there is an Akerman around.

#48 DrugzRule

DrugzRule

Rock Star

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 5,119 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 06:17 PM

I wouldn't consider them foils because Historia is being manipulated. I'm just disappointed in how easily she has been manipulated by a man who has clearly shown that he really doesn't care for her. But she's so desperate for her father's acceptance that she appears willing to do this. This may lead to her death sadly.

Regardless of the means the ends have made them eerily similar and Historia has acknowledged that. I think everyone are being too presumptuous to keep on thinking that Rod Reiss is just a asshole who wants to manipulate Historia for his own ends without seemingly giving a thought he does actually want to save humanity and Historia eating Eren will actually be more beneficial in the long run. Even if Rod Reiss's wants to primarily protect his own hide, avoiding a human extinction is also in his benefit as well as everyone else obviously.

This just ties to the question our heroes have been asking themselves so often; Are our actions really beneficial to mankind in the long run? Depending on what Rod Reiss's primarily goal he may be a anti-hero or a anti-villain.

#49 Ultrafragor

Ultrafragor

Exorcist

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 11,139 posts
    • LocationVigrid

Posted 14 January 2015 - 08:51 PM

There are other human beings in the world, though. There may even be other human beings with the power to control Titans.

It very much seems the Riess family sealed themselves away to create a world for themselves where they had complete control. Otherwise, at any point they could have used their power to take control of even more titans and advanced the war in humanity's favor. 

• /2aw likes this

0680-007%20-%20Copy_zpsyjmuhkna.png

#50 Hoff

Hoff

Crack Monkey

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,348 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 10:35 PM

There are other human beings in the world, though.

Uhhh... Says who?

w7hQcQE.jpg

<3 Opeye

#51 Ultrafragor

Ultrafragor

Exorcist

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 11,139 posts
    • LocationVigrid

Posted 14 January 2015 - 11:19 PM

Uhhh... Says who?

The current chapter

#52 Hoff

Hoff

Crack Monkey

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,348 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:18 AM

The current chapter

... I can't even begin to imagine where you got that from...

w7hQcQE.jpg

<3 Opeye

#53 Ultrafragor

Ultrafragor

Exorcist

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 11,139 posts
    • LocationVigrid

Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:51 AM

... I can't even begin to imagine where you got that from...

Well, then you don't seem to have much of an imagination.

The crunchyroll translation made an ambiguous comment, but by itself it probably doesn't mean what I thought the first time I read it.

#54 tenchu

tenchu

Warrior

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 3,069 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 04:45 AM

Regardless of the means the ends have made them eerily similar and Historia has acknowledged that. I think everyone are being too presumptuous to keep on thinking that Rod Reiss is just a asshole who wants to manipulate Historia for his own ends without seemingly giving a thought he does actually want to save humanity and Historia eating Eren will actually be more beneficial in the long run. Even if Rod Reiss's wants to primarily protect his own hide, avoiding a human extinction is also in his benefit as well as everyone else obviously.

This just ties to the question our heroes have been asking themselves so often; Are our actions really beneficial to mankind in the long run? Depending on what Rod Reiss's primarily goal he may be a anti-hero or a anti-villain.

But the reiss family had the titan power until five years ago, they had had the power for at least 100 years, what did they do with it?

24gvaiu.jpg

#55 TridentPuff

TridentPuff

Warrior

• Banned
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 485 posts
    • LocationIsle of Patience.

Posted 15 January 2015 - 10:59 AM

I hope Kenny Ackerman lives through this arc and becomes a major villain and some other point later in the story. Fuck Rod Reiss though he can die for all I care. 

Eren vs Historia should be amazing though, unless Eren remains simply content to be eaten. 

#56 DrugzRule

DrugzRule

Rock Star

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 5,119 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:57 PM

There are other human beings in the world, though. There may even be other human beings with the power to control Titans.

It very much seems the Riess family sealed themselves away to create a world for themselves where they had complete control. Otherwise, at any point they could have used their power to take control of even more titans and advanced the war in humanity's favor. 

There was never need for them to risk themselves until five years ago because no one has any idea how many the titans really are or if there even are any other human civilization. We don't exactly know what happened 100 years ago but creating a wall to seal the titans out was probably the smart idea considering how overwhelmingly strong the titans are and the king at the time attempted to create a era of peace like that. The memory manipulation power have been crucial to secure stability as you can imagine they wouldn't survive if a full-fledged civil war were to break within the wall.

But the reiss family had the titan power until five years ago, they had had the power for at least 100 years, what did they do with it?

Create a era of peace by sealing off the titans and ensure humanity wouldn't fight in a civil war.

#57 tenchu

tenchu

Warrior

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 3,069 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 01:21 PM

There was never need for them to risk themselves until five years ago because no one has any idea how many the titans really are or if there even are any other human civilization. We don't exactly know what happened 100 years ago but creating a wall to seal the titans out was probably the smart idea considering how overwhelmingly strong the titans are and the king at the time attempted to create a era of peace like that. The memory manipulation power have been crucial to secure stability as you can imagine they wouldn't survive if a full-fledged civil war were to break within the wall.
    they could control titans, made them kill eachother thus getting rid of most in the vicinity, maybe destroy them all or make them all obedient slaves to serve humans. freaking seriously, it's like im talking to a muppet here

24gvaiu.jpg

#58 DrugzRule

DrugzRule

Rock Star

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 5,119 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 01:50 PM

they could control titans, made them kill eachother thus getting rid of most in the vicinity, maybe destroy them all or make them all obedient slaves to serve humans. freaking seriously, it's like im talking to a muppet here

This power isn't exclusive to them though, remember the beast titans who also had a legion of titans following it's every command. Trying to increase their territory would risk a war with the abnormal titans and likely destruction.

All the successor to the titan's powers and the lost history also came the same conclusion to remain hidden inside the wall, we don't know the exact details but even just for those pragmatic reasons it is easier to see why it would be the better choice.

And sorry to disappoint, but I'm simply not funny enough to be a muppet :(

tumblr_nhf6wySDWu1s4lzj8o1_1280.jpg

Edited by DrugzRule, 15 January 2015 - 04:36 PM.

#59 /2aw

/2aw

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 528 posts
    • LocationAtlanta

Posted 17 January 2015 - 12:07 PM

This power isn't exclusive to them though, remember the beast titans who also had a legion of titans following it's every command. Trying to increase their territory would risk a war with the abnormal titans and likely destruction.

All the successor to the titan's powers and the lost history also came the same conclusion to remain hidden inside the wall, we don't know the exact details but even just for those pragmatic reasons it is easier to see why it would be the better choice.

And sorry to disappoint, but I'm simply not funny enough to be a muppet :(

I don't think they were really following his every whim nor would I call it a legion.  I just think they were trying to stay out of his way and do their normal thing (eat humans).  Remember that one bold SOB who tried to get to that one guy when the ape titan was trying to ask him about the 3D gear? He certainly wasn't trying to listen.

I'd say that it is HEAVILY implied that the people who created the walls and have been in charge did so for control.  They are concerned with keeping the citizens in a fish bowl.  They have stifled innovation, kept secrets, and I'm pretty sure that they allowed the scouting legion to exist ONLY to insight fear into the people and make them scared to want to leave the walls. While we don't know the specifics, I'd say it's save to assume that Rod and anyone else who runs things are not doing anything for the people.

My Manga

The sad reality of my favorite Manga

Current Theme Song

Badass of the moment:

Daytime Escanor

49914546_91x132.jpeg

Praise. The. Sun. See, if Chuck Norris had a love child with Bruce Lee and that child was trained by the Spartans it just MIGHT have the absurd levels of badass testosterone found in Escanor's left testicle. Escanor is the epitome of pride and badassery and he has no issues with letting it be known. His mere presence has been enough to end some powerful baddies, and he will make sure any fool willing to challenge him knows how pathetic their feeble attempts are. OP is an understatement and he wears it so gracefully.

#60 ruggia

ruggia

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 736 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 12:40 PM

I dont think Levi is the son of the whore mentioned in this chapter.

Despite his looks Levi is 30ish.. 32 or 34 and I dont think Kenny is 20~ years older than he is.

I'm starting to think the Ackermans have the never-look-old disease like the Hiten-mitsurugi school from Rurouni Kenshin.... with great badassery, comes great youth ;)

Wasn't it mentioned that Levi's mom was a proustite?

Edited by ruggia, 17 January 2015 - 12:41 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Morfeus