Photo

[Voting] Poetry Contest New Year Special

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Poll: New Year Special Round (14 member(s) have cast votes)

Which is the best?

1. Sloan - Factors (1 votes [7.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

2. Terminal Cough - 4 Numbers for every shape (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Mura - Dawn (5 votes [35.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 35.71%

4. mantisstalker - A New Character Page (1 votes [7.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

5. KLGChaos - Just Another Day (7 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Oben

Oben

Dirt Cheap

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,605 posts

User's Awards

Posted 08 January 2015 - 02:37 PM

Welcome to the Voting for this Special Round of the Poetry Contest

The poll should be self-explanatory. Please vote objectively, and fair.
You are not allowed to vote for yourself.

Please also post your opinions/criticism in the thread.
Keep in mind that the length of the poems was limited from the start.

Here are the entries for this round:

Spoiler Factors

Spoiler 4 numbers for every shape

Spoiler Dawn

Spoiler A New Character Page

Spoiler Just Another Day

Voting ends one week from now, on the 15th of January.
  • azer_moli likes this

#2 zetruz

zetruz

Fisherman

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,357 posts
  • Location- research lab

User's Awards

Posted 09 January 2015 - 06:24 AM

Really difficult to pick between Mura's and KLGChaos's, in the end I picked the latter. Two really strong ones this round.

Spoiler for the quotables!

Mun364G.png

#3 Nmaan

Nmaan

King of the Sports Discussion

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts
  • LocationWhere strength is a poor substitute for courage.

Posted 09 January 2015 - 08:23 AM

Ahh nuts I actually had one for this.

I went with mantis' it was just the one I enjoyed the most.

Feed me and I'll be your friend forever, steal my treats and I make you into meats.

I'm big and I'm bad, so try not to make me mad. xD

http://thepunchlinei.../2010-10-18.jpg

QT with yours truly

http://onemangaforum...ime-with-nmaan/

Number 2

http://onemangaforum...ime-with-nmaan/

#4 azer_moli

azer_moli

• Moderators
  • 3,135 posts
  • LocationFrance

User's Awards

Posted 10 January 2015 - 06:40 PM

Sloan - I like the idea of your poem and you really played well with words, it's an interesting poem.

Terminal Cough - It felt too prosaic despite the rhymes and lacked unity though the idea of the square seemed interesting in the beginning. 

Mura - It was a very good one, definitely. It has a lot of qualities. Only the last two verses are not as good in terms of quality as the rest of your poem, but the "yesteryear" made up for it. 

mantisstalker - It was an amazing one too. A nice rhythm, I could feel so much energy in it while reading it. What's more, it's well-written and you chose well your words and rhymes. I just have a problem with the 4th verse. 

KLGChaos - I chose yours. Your first two verses go against what one would usually say for new year and it's done so well, I was totally picturing the image in my head, it really was suggestive. Then, your expression of "ritualistic hedonism" is a very interesting one, especially when it's put in regards to "indifference", that gives so much more meaning to your text. And finally, your last two verses are more casual in their tone, and it fits what you say, it's a nice ending (punchline even) for your poem, a very nice one. So overall, it was a wonderfully well-written poem. 

#5 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,590 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 06:08 AM

Can ''just another day'' written in the same line as ''trying...in''?

Spoiler Favorite male characters in manga/hwa/hua

#6 azer_moli

azer_moli

• Moderators
  • 3,135 posts
  • LocationFrance

User's Awards

Posted 11 January 2015 - 06:18 AM

Why couldn't it? In the present, you are trying to find meaning in one day which is particular to some but which appears to be like just any other one for you. I don't see the problem. 

#7 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,590 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 07:09 AM

Why couldn't it? In the present, you are trying to find meaning in one day which is particular to some but which appears to be like just any other one for you. I don't see the problem. 

I didn't say ''couldn't'' and there's no ''problem'' either. I just ask whether it can be done...

#8 YoWid

YoWid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

User's Awards

Posted 11 January 2015 - 07:49 AM

It can be done in one line, yes, though it can also be made in two (separate) lines to get that artistic effect in poetry, I think.

Also, I voted for Sloan's cos of the wordplays while keeping the vibe/emotions of the poem raw with its no-nonsense lines. 

Spoiler Music by Gazillions

another story for another day

#9 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,590 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 08:00 AM

that artistic effect

what is artistic about it?

#10 YoWid

YoWid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

User's Awards

Posted 11 January 2015 - 08:08 AM

It's highly subjective, what 'artistic' about it, you might wanna ask @KLGChaos as the poem maker about it; but I think dividing what sentence could be made in one line into two is quite common when making some piece of poetry.

As for me, it gives off that effect akin to pause like when you're saying "Trying to find meaning in... (beat) ...just another day" with huffing out a sigh on that last part of the sentence to accentuate how world-weary you are.

At least that's how I interpret it.

Spoiler Music by Gazillions

another story for another day

#11 Mura

Mura

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 08:22 AM

Enjambment (the continuation of a sentence across lines, as opposed to being end-stopped by punctuation) is a literary technique traditionally specific to poetry. They arise when line breaks, or the ending of one line and the beginning of another, occur mid-sentence/clause/phrase/etc. 

The former create half-meanings (of the line) and whole meanings (of the entire sentence). The use of enjambment also raises tension, as it prods the reader to read on to find out how the sentence ends.

The latter is one tool to speed the pace of a poem's lines, alter readability of the poem, change the shape of the poem, keep a specific syllable account per line according to meter, etc.

Edited by Mura, 11 January 2015 - 08:23 AM.

• zetruz and YoWid like this

#12 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,590 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 08:29 AM

Enjambment (the continuation of a sentence across lines, as opposed to being end-stopped by punctuation) is a literary technique traditionally specific to poetry. They arise when line breaks, or the ending of one line and the beginning of another, occur mid-sentence/clause/phrase/etc. 

The former create half-meanings (of the line) and whole meanings (of the entire sentence). The use of enjambment also raises tension, as it prods the reader to read on to find out how the sentence ends.

The latter is one tool to speed the pace of a poem's lines, alter readability of the poem, change the shape of the poem, keep a specific syllable account per line according to meter, etc.

Oh no, I of course know what it is technically. I was asking in specific to the poem here.

#13 Mura

Mura

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 08:34 AM

Ah well, guess it's best to let the poet explain, then.

• YoWid likes this

#14 KLGChaos

KLGChaos

Samurai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts
  • LocationPurgatory

User's Awards

Posted 12 January 2015 - 01:02 PM

I separated the line because I wanted to emphasize that despite all the celebrations we have and the meaning we try to find on these days (all holidays really), in the end, it is just another day. Part of the gist I was trying to get at is that we need to live life to the fullest every day and not just on those few days that we designate as holidays. Every day is special, even if it is ordinary.

Though, looked at from another angle, it's also a piece about the fruitless celebrations we go through trying to find meaning in our lives when there is none and how we have to make our own.

Personally, I work overnights and usually always work the New Year's holiday, like I did this year. While everyone was out partying and celebrating, I was getting up and going to work just like every other day. So where it's special to some, it isn't to others.

I left it a bit ambiguous because I wanted people to find their own meanings. That's what I love about poetry-- it's very personal to each reader.

Edited by KLGChaos, 12 January 2015 - 01:08 PM.

• azer_moli and YoWid like this

fallout3_dogmeat_zpsjyrxypvn.jpg?t=14248

"You can run from all the memories, but no matter how far... in the end they'll find you, for this is who you are."

#15 Oben

Oben

Dirt Cheap

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,605 posts

User's Awards

Posted 16 January 2015 - 06:23 AM

And the Winner of the Special Round is...

KLGChaos!

Now on to the normal rounds again, thread here.

#16 KLGChaos

KLGChaos

Samurai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts
  • LocationPurgatory

User's Awards

Posted 16 January 2015 - 06:39 AM

Wow... surprised. Last I checked Mura and I were neck and neck. Thought it was going to be a tie. Lots of good poems again.

fallout3_dogmeat_zpsjyrxypvn.jpg?t=14248

"You can run from all the memories, but no matter how far... in the end they'll find you, for this is who you are."

#17 -JustMyself-

-JustMyself-

Crack Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationThere. Riiiiiiight there.

Posted 26 January 2015 - 11:11 AM

Had to go with KLG's, his poem is the one I reacted to the most. Good job sir, and well done to all the other participants, all good entries.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users