Photo

Fixing Up The RP Forum

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Poll: RP Concepts (21 member(s) have cast votes)

What kind of RP would you like next?

1. Naruto (2 votes [3.85%])

Percentage of vote: 3.85%

2. Bleach (3 votes [5.77%])

Percentage of vote: 5.77%

3. Hunter x Hunter (4 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

4. Fairy Tail (4 votes [7.69%])

5. Gantz (1 votes [1.92%])

Percentage of vote: 1.92%

6. Typical Fantasy/Lord of the Rings/Berserk (8 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

7. Science Fiction/Space (6 votes [11.54%])

Percentage of vote: 11.54%

8. Zombie Apocalypse/Survival (6 votes [11.54%])

Percentage of vote: 11.54%

9. Modern Crime/Assassins/Black Lagoon (4 votes [7.69%])

10. School/Martial Arts/HSDK/Veritas (4 votes [7.69%])

11. Superheros/X-Men (8 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

12. Other (post your suggestions in the thread) (2 votes [3.85%])

Percentage of vote: 3.85%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Shin

Shin

Ultimate Survivor

• Moderators
  • 1400 posts
  • LocationUnder a bridge

Posted 13 January 2015 - 08:47 PM

Fixing Up The RP Forum

Meant to make this a while back, but we can finally get the ball rolling at least. Basically this is a thread where members can post ideas for things they would like to see in the RP Forum. Just general suggestions of what we should do with the RP Forum going forward. A few of the ideas I have so far are listed below. I can update the list as members suggest things.

Ideas & Suggestions

1.) First thing is I want to try and run a One Piece RP that I can advertise in the OP Forum to try and bring some members in to the RP board. It will be fairly accommodating to members who don't have much experience with RPs so it can be a nice gateway to get them interested possibly. I'll post links to it from here once I get those threads open.

2.) In the poll above I listed some other popular series and typical RP genres to gauge what type of RP members would like to see next. So maybe some members can focus on creating a RP based around one of those concepts. I'll try to help out where I can. I tried to include a large variety and in some included a series that might help explain the theme, like with the Modern Crime/Assassins/Black Lagoon. Members can vote for as many options as they want too.

3.) Cleaning up the RP Forum. There are a lot of dead threads and abandoned RPs. I can archive some of the old threads and update the rules possibly. I don't know if the rules need to be that strict since we are starting from scratch in a lot of ways.

4.) I can advertise the RP Forum by using the Advertising Moderating tool to let the members who aren't aware of the RP forum know about it.

• Sanji, Raiden and YoWid like this

#2 FrostyMouse

FrostyMouse

Life

• Moderators
  • 3161 posts
  • LocationStamford Bridge

Posted 13 January 2015 - 09:03 PM

RPs always seem so...unwelcoming and overinvolved. I think something needs to be done to work on that front in order to help out with the entire RP forum.

ilhd1c.jpg

#3 Shin

Shin

Ultimate Survivor

• Moderators
  • 1400 posts
  • LocationUnder a bridge

Posted 13 January 2015 - 09:11 PM

Well it is about finding concepts that interest people mainly, but they do take time and effort. With many of the old OMF members who used to use the RP Forum no longer around it is an opportunity to start over and see what people want out of this part of the forum.

• FrostyMouse likes this

#4 ZCOverload

ZCOverload

Lucina Main

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12390 posts
  • LocationTech City

User's Awards

3       2    4   

Posted 13 January 2015 - 09:47 PM

I typically avoided the RP forum because the community was, and I won't sugarcoat this, very antagonistic and arrogant. Some of my friends instead opted to just move to social groups because of that. We literally dropped an RP here because some members directly trolled and disrupted the GM introducing the plot of the RP. We moved it to an SG and put it in a subforum where only members with certain user privileges can see it.

Now seeing as how this is no longer the case (I actually rather like many of the people here now), there are still some glaring issues which explain WHY I still prefer the social group setup.

• GMs have control over the group. They are the moderators of the group and can thus control the RP much better than if they were playing under the OMF mods' rules. This includes being able to create and delete threads and posts, create their own subforums for info caches, etc. and the ability to customize the face of the group itself. This brings me to the next point.

• Organization. RPs here on the RP Corner are restricted to what are essentially three maximum threads. The OOC, in which all character sheets are submitted in between the clutter of off-topic chat, the info cache (which is optional so sometimes you don't even see that) which only explains in-game universe and any rulesets, and the RP itself. In the social groups, GMs can create seperate threads for character sheets which makes it an entire index that's easy to refer to without putting strain on the GM to edit each one into the OP of the OOC, a separate thread for an info cache, and a separate thread of the OOC. That's already far more organized.

• Breaking Up The Action. On top of that, you can create multiple threads for the RP itself, as in @LoneWolfStark's or my own RPs that use a Book (subforum) and chapter (single rp thread) format and a season (subforum) and episode (single rp thread) format respectively. Those are more similar to the corner's linear single-thread style except it allows for more organization and easier referring back to past events because I could just say "Oh, I forgot how Luna knocked out Zachary back in the beginning of the RP... Oh, it happened in Book One, Chapter 1! Lemme check back!". Far easier than sifting through pages of a single thread. However, many also opt for an open world format such as @Misty or @vooder's RPs which have separate threads for each in-game area of the RP that characters can freely transition to and from, which is messier from a narrative standpoint, but it's also a bit more fun and welcoming to newer players.

• Freedom. This is my last point. Because of the reasons I stated above, both the RPers and the GMs have more control and more ability to do what they want to do with their RPs. The RP Corner always played by OMF's own rules and that's a very archaic, outdated, and needlessly restrictive format.

So how can we fix this?

These problems are basically issues with the forum itself. You can't go ahead and give mod powers to anyone who wants to run an RP. It'd be too risky, too much work, and a stupid idea altogether. It's impossible in general to give the RP Corner the same freedom the social groups offer, so the best thing you can do is, instead of making it compete with social groups, make them collaborate. Maybe open up a subforum for people to place info caches/character sheets for social group RPs (like they do over at MangaFox) and allow advertising of SG RPs here in the Corner. It'd bring activity to both the Corner and the SGs.

Oh, and I voted for a "typical fantasy" RP. Oddly enough there aren't enough of those.

Edited by ZCOverload, 13 January 2015 - 09:41 PM.

• Shin, FrostyMouse, Zeando and 2 others like this

DbR5r2F.jpg?1

#5 Shin

Shin

Ultimate Survivor

• Moderators
  • 1400 posts
  • LocationUnder a bridge

Posted 13 January 2015 - 10:26 PM

I am not beholden to the old format and system. So I am fine with scraping it all in favor of something else. It was created before OMF ever had Social Groups and members have been using the same system since before even I joined really. So if the old system no longer works with having everything spread out and restricted I can dump it all for something that works better. I don't really think the RP Forum as it is now really needs 3 different sub-forums.

Yeah, giving users mod abilities on the forum isn't happening, but I am perfectly fine with advertising the Social Group RPs more to get them more activity. I do have the power to make forum announcements to help with that as well. I would be fine if all RPs operated out of Social Group and this place can be where members just advertise them or get help with coming up with ideas and creating concepts. Sort of the general hub area. That way the GM of the RP has a lot more power to manage the RP. Maybe I can just use this part of the forum to run a few bigger RPs to help bring in people and everything else can run out of Social Groups when members come up with an idea.

I do agree that the community had become very xenophobic with outsiders. I think a lot of groups within forums get like that after years of being together really. The RP mods left leaving the board to run itself. Tekka and SB left long before the move to OMF 3.0 really, and after Sena left none of the staff left really were part of the RP boards and they became what they were, but since we are basically starting over everyone can come into the new RP Forums fresh.

• ZCOverload, Raiden, FrostyMouse and 1 other like this

#6 ZCOverload

ZCOverload

Lucina Main

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12390 posts
  • LocationTech City

User's Awards

3       2    4   

Posted 13 January 2015 - 10:34 PM

Sounds good, man. I'll try and talk with some of the GMs I know and see if they can jump on this.

DbR5r2F.jpg?1

#7 Lone_ant

Lone_ant

Shinninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6703 posts
  • LocationWhere I am

Posted 14 January 2015 - 01:26 AM

So.. are we scrapping the RP Corner in favor of exlusively RPing in the SG's? Because that would essentially what it would amount to.

I agree that the GMs having more control and flexibility in the SGs provide a superior platform for RPing, so it's not that I would be against such a move. However what I think the SGs are missing is an area in common for all of them- perhaps this is what the RP Corner could be.

Advertising (to be honest, it's pretty hard to find RPs in the SG.. or am I doing something wrong?),
Tips and Tricks for General RPing (I've been meaning to pull off some of the stuff in the old forum for quite a while now.. hope I can still do that).
Conception/Interest checking
and Lounge/General Area is what the RP Corner would be mostly used for then.

Edited by Lone_ant, 14 January 2015 - 01:41 AM.

#8 Shin

Shin

Ultimate Survivor

• Moderators
  • 1400 posts
  • LocationUnder a bridge

Posted 14 January 2015 - 02:46 AM

Yeah, this could become a Lounge/General Area and have links to the RPs in the social group where the RP would take place. So this would still serve as a way to group up all the RPs together so members can see what is there without having to go through all the different SGs to fine one. Then they can use the RP thread here that links to the SG to ask to join and just general questions about the RP. Then the GM of the RP can manage the RP how they want, with OOC, Info, Character Submissions threads and so on in the SG.

The big drawback to this is that it might be difficult for new RPs to be created as members would need to create a new SG to make an RP and that might be more work that some would want. Plus having to jump between this part of the forum and SGs might be tough too, but it isn't like this part of the forum is seeing much action now anyway.

So we could have two sub-forums. Just this main one and a concept/idea creation forum.

So I guess the structure would look something like this with the threads that would be in it:

Main RP Forum:

-RP Rules (pinned)

-RP General Discussion/Lounge Thread (pinned)

-Tips and Tricks/Guidelines (pinned)

- RP 1 (have a brief summary of the RP and link to the SG in the first post and members can ask questions about the RP in this thread)

- RP 2

- RP 3

- RP 4

RP Concept/Idea Creation Forum

- Guidelines for Concepts (pinned)

- Q&A Thread (pinned)

- Concept 1

- Concept 2

- Concept 3

• ZCOverload likes this

#9 Srki

Srki

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts
  • LocationSerbia

Posted 14 January 2015 - 03:04 AM

As some of you may know, i have started something known as Quest, or CYOA. Reasons why i did that despite the fact that my writing is abysmal and fact that i outright hate writing in English is simple, i want to advertise that kind of game to the rest of the forum. Mostly because i want other to make them so i can play :P

As i mentioned in previous discussion, trying to make RP and then call other forum users will simply not work. RP is time commitment, and people rarely want to bind themselves in such fashion. RPs are also notoriously full of rules you have to learn and preparations you have to make, which makes it even less likely for your average forum member to join.

In light of that, i think that making CYOA type of the game would garner more interest that another RP. After all, people that do play RPs are playing them already. And indeed, that would be my suggestion, if Shin is okay with that.

On the topic of needs, i disagree with assessment that you need more than two threads. Although they obviously can be useful, they are not required by any means. However, what is needed, is removing that dumb limitation where it is impossible for you to post more than once in a row in relevant time.

When i make games, i generally need 3-5 posts to put sheets, FAQ, table of content, various info and so on. But with current merge system i need to hope that in five hours after i make a thread no one with post in thread i can set up correctly.

So yes, having a way to make multiple posts one after another in a quick successions would be nice.

Edited by Srki, 14 January 2015 - 03:06 AM.

• Shin likes this

#10 Shin

Shin

Ultimate Survivor

• Moderators
  • 1400 posts
  • LocationUnder a bridge

Posted 14 January 2015 - 03:27 AM

Yeah, I was just trying to think of how to handle RPs that are different than the typical ones, like your Quest one or Choose Your Own Adventure ones. RPs where there aren't a lot of rules and everyone is sort of working together where all the players are trying to move a single character around and making choices.

If we do go with the new RP Forum format we can maybe call these other types of RPs something else. Like Quests or CYOAs (Chose Your Own Adventure), and they can continue to operate out of the main forum without the need of a Social Group. So not a whole lot will change with them. So the new setup will look like this.

Main RP Forum:

- RP Rules (pinned)

- RP General Discussion/Lounge Thread (pinned)

- Tips and Tricks/Guidelines (pinned)

- [RP] Name of RP 1 (have a brief summary of the RP and link to the SG in the first post and members can ask questions about the RP in this thread)

- [CYOA] Name of CYOA 1 (everything can operate out of this one thread or if the discussion gets too crowded I can create a general CYOA discussion thread for more room)

- [RP] Name of RP 2

- [CYOA] Name of CYOA 2

- [RP] Name of RP 3

As for merging posts I don't know if Greg or Rhyssa would want to change that, but I can look into it. Maybe it can be disabled for just this part of the forum.

#11 Srki

Srki

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts
  • LocationSerbia

Posted 14 January 2015 - 06:10 AM

As for theme of your game, are you interested in capes by any chance? Stuff like X-man.

That ought to be fun.

#12 Misty

Misty

Tsundere

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1361 posts
  • LocationThe Kitchen In Gander's Serbian Fetish Dungeon

User's Awards

Posted 14 January 2015 - 11:41 AM

I may be about to volunteer an unpopular opinion or two, but opinions seem to have been solicited so I shall boldly go. 

The problems I've seen that seem to have dismantled this forum are the following:

-Old members mistreating new faces out of some sort of misplaced territory protection feeling.

-Lack of or infrequent participation by the remaining members.

-No uniting format of post/roleplay (not necessarily a problem.)

______________________________________________________________________________________________

The old members one is fairly simple to answer at this moment: those people are gone. Thank the gods.  However, it is a danger for the future.  Reboot the board, give it a year, suddenly everyone who was new is old and the danger of mistreating new faces simply because no past relationship exists returns. 

Maybe there needs to be something added to general rp forum rules, but nothing chases away new faces/newbies faster than having them told they are playing a mary sue and are an uncreative bother. 

I mostly state this because it would be a real shame to get the place humming again only for it to crash and burn for the same reasons the last iteration did.  (I like things to screw up in new and interesting ways.)

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

The infrequent action or lack of action thing is what really stops things up pretty badly.  I know people get busy, disappear, and have other reasons for not posting or letting anyone know they are going, but I've watched waiting for someone to post destroy rps that looked very interesting and like they were going to be successful. 

I know Srki has been advocating for choose your own adventures and other non-commitment related story-telling, and maybe that will be good for some people, but I know the idea holds no attraction in my book.  (I wouldn't want to create one or participate in one).  I've never seen the post based rp as a huge time commitment, but I'm aware I may be a freak.  

Still, something needs to be done to make posting more frequent and to stop people from simply disappearing without another word.   I'm currently involved in about four group roleplays, and only one of them has seen a post in the last three weeks.  THREE WEEKS.  Almost 1/12th of the year.  I don't know all the reasons this is the case, but that is the sort of thing that really damages roleplaying on this forum.  

I know I may be harping on this because I had such a terrible experience coming to this forum, but there is no uniting format of post or roleplay.

I know every does CS and world creation differently, but the actual posts are where things get complicated and confusing especially if you are new and are being told you are doing it wrong when there seems to be no actual format.

By format, I mean that some people just write in normal paragraph with no bolds or colours.  Some people use bolds and colours in normal paragraphs. Some people use play/screenplay format.  Some people use play/screenplay format with colours and bold. 

(Obviously as someone who likes normal paragraphs I believe I am TOTALLY DOING IT THE ONLY PURE AND RIGHT WAY. But it might be useful if there were some uniting way to format or that needs to be included in rules in some line about writing any way you feel comfortable.) 

• ZCOverload, Shin and YoWid like this

tumblr_nppka9tuR81tgmuxgo1_r3_500.jpg

Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow?

'No!' says the man in Washington, 'It belongs to the poor.'

'No!' says the man in the Vatican, 'It belongs to God.'

'No!' says the man in Moscow, 'It belongs to everyone.'

Go Ask Me Questions On Ma Question Time and Vote for the Next One!

#13 Lone_ant

Lone_ant

Shinninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6703 posts
  • LocationWhere I am

Posted 14 January 2015 - 07:21 PM

There actually was, the format being that it was strongly encouraged to write at least a paragraph . That was it, aside of course from any other requirements the GM may put.

We can even do away with the paragraph requirement if you guys want... I just don't want to be restricted by a format when posting since it gives "flavor" and flexibility to what I want to write.

The point being, there is no "wrong" format... only personal style. Maybe put that in.

Edited by Lone_ant, 14 January 2015 - 07:22 PM.

#14 Shin

Shin

Ultimate Survivor

• Moderators
  • 1400 posts
  • LocationUnder a bridge

Posted 14 January 2015 - 10:57 PM

@Misty

I think there is always going to be a certain level of players butting heads, but if it crosses the line where someone feels excluded or ridiculed for their play then it will fall to me to deal with. Players should come to me and I can deal with the situation. Though I don't think we have to worry too much about this just yet. Since the community is starting out small and a lot of the old members aren't coming back, but if it becomes a problem again I'll deal with it. I'd rather have a smaller community that gets along than a larger one that is constantly at odds. We can look into adding some rules to try to make players more accommodating too. Like in the Tips and Tricks thread where at the top of the thread have like some basic etiquette guidelines and encourage people to read them.

Yes, players becoming inactive has always been a big problem, but I don't know to stop that. All you can really do is get in contact with the people who are inactive either on the forum or through other social networks and encourage them to post or explain why they aren't. That usually falls to the GM to manage that. There is a Going Away Thread that players used to use where they would post in to let the other players know they are going away and for how long so the RP isn't waiting for them and slowing down the progress. We can try to tell players to use that more.

Yeah, there are some old rules where people on OMF were encouraged to post at least a paragraph, 3 to 4 sentences, for each RP post. I think coming up with 3 sentences for each post is doable and isn't that difficult to do, but I don't know if I want to bend someone's arm to make sure they do that.

As for format, I don't know if I'd want all players to use a single format for every RP. Maybe for certain RPs a GM could encourage players to use a certain format to make things seem more organized, but I think players should have the freedom to post how they want. Though the big thing with format that I have seen is making sure other players understand when a character is speaking internally (thinking to themselves) verses when a character is speaking outwardly where other characters can hear him/her. I've seen that get confusing and is where using different colors and/or bold text helps. So making sure players understand this and having them make it obviously which is which in their posts is something we can try to push more regardless of what format they use.

#15 ZCOverload

ZCOverload

Lucina Main

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12390 posts
  • LocationTech City

User's Awards

3       2    4   

Posted 14 January 2015 - 11:03 PM

@Misty i'll post tonight i swear to god if it kills me

DbR5r2F.jpg?1

#16 Shin

Shin

Ultimate Survivor

• Moderators
  • 1400 posts
  • LocationUnder a bridge

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:51 PM

As for theme of your game, are you interested in capes by any chance? Stuff like X-man.

That ought to be fun.

Yeah I am a X-Men fan. So we can do something with them or with Superheroes. I added it to the poll.

What I might do is when we reorganize the RP Forum boards I could open up several concept threads for each of the topics in the poll to fill out the forum some, and let the members interested build the RP over time. I'll help out too of course.

• Raiden likes this

#17 Animaniac

Animaniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • LocationAbsurdistan

Posted 16 January 2015 - 05:15 AM

It may be good to limit the size of post :D

Not sure about others, but one of the more annoying things that tended to contribute to my leaving Corner RPs is having to read several A4 sized posts (in case of some people they were even bigger consistently) just to know how to respond. Even worse if I'm GM. I just don't have mental stamina after a day of other activity, whether uni, friends or some other hobbies, to read a novel made of posts. 

And not only that. Seeing everyone make such a huge posts make me feel obliged to keep up with them (especially if I'm GM), and that only adds to fatigue and at some point I just say "fuck it" and leave the RP. 

Also, while reading your attention may waver and you skip some detail which will make you completely misunderstand the post and make an unfitting reaction (happened to me that I had my whole post disregarded because I missed one action within a post of 2 A4 pages size). 

Not to mention, smaller posts can make thing move faster. 

If we don't know what we're doing enemy certainly can't anticipate our future actions.

#18 Srki

Srki

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts
  • LocationSerbia

Posted 16 January 2015 - 06:57 AM

If you view reading as chore, RPs are simply not for you. If you view writing as chore, RPs are simply not for you.

And that's about it. I doubt that anyone will be willing to to change structure of the game just to accommodate you.

#19 Lone_ant

Lone_ant

Shinninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6703 posts
  • LocationWhere I am

Posted 16 January 2015 - 08:16 AM

Well, that's a bit of an exaggeration, on both sides. I haven't seen A4 sized character posts except for GM first post or  updates that update multiple fronts / actions. A4 is rather large and our font isn't that big. Unless you include people who put pictures on their posts but Im guessing those don't count either. Anyway, what I want to say is that people write these (relatively) long posts because they find it fun and meaningful to do so. If you find that sometimes you find them annoying, please remember that they're not doing it specifically to antagonize or "pressure" anyone- and to limit their fun is rather unfair.

Also straight up saying he should quit RPing just because he feels he can't post the way he wants to sometimes is a bit over reacting. Ani does have a fair point that reading /writing takes effort and sometimes you don't have the energy to participate..  what should have been a relatively relaxing and fun way to spend the time becomes chore... especially if it seems you are pressured to "write up to par" to long posts.  Again, let me state that nobody is pressuring anyone... personally I really like to read different styles of responding to a prompt.. brings out the unique character of each member. Also, when I find that I don't have the energy or time to post the post that I want, I either: write only part of the post to revise later, make a short post, not post and find some other time when I do have the energy to do so, or inform the GM and members that I wouldn't be able to post in that particular update. Life gets in the way of RPing sometimes and that's normal.

Now the GM can impose any kind of restrictions that they want since the RPers are mostly signing up by their own volition on that, so people can still make RPs with limited post length or specific format or what have you. I'm not saying you can't have these restrictions... on specific RPs depending on what the people want their RPs flavor or shape to be (maybe you can even make such a post length restricted RP Ani). What I'm against is a blanket restriction that unnecessarily limits the freedom of other GMs and RPers to write or make what they want (within limits of OMF general rules and terms of service ofcourse :P ). And IMO, format / length is one of those unnecessary blanket restrictions that should instead be handed to GM discretion instead.

Edited by Lone_ant, 16 January 2015 - 08:22 AM.

#20 Animaniac

Animaniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • LocationAbsurdistan

Posted 16 January 2015 - 08:30 AM

Well, considering the argument which erupted here when OMF 3.0 was still fresh and we were re-evaluating our approach to RPing in order to accommodate newcomers (obviously ended in nothing), as well as the sizes of posts in few Social Group RPs I checked out back in the day (I never played in one, though), I'd say that average size of the posts in Corner was pretty daunting and/or annoying for some people. 

And I phrased my first sentence badly. I don't say set a hard limit, but encourage people to neither be too short but not to overdo it either. 

EDIT: And I actually measured post sized a few times on old forum. Most people made big intro post then continued with 2-3 paragraph sized posts, but few kept A4 size always and it was exception for them to make a short post. 

Edited by Animaniac, 16 January 2015 - 08:32 AM.

• Lone_ant likes this

If we don't know what we're doing enemy certainly can't anticipate our future actions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users