• 12,574 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 14 January 2015 - 02:42 AM

Boku no Hero Academia

BakaUpdates | MAL

6ceb588cf6.jpg

Synopsis:
People are not born equal, a realization that 4-year-old Midoriya Izuku faced when bullied by his classmates who had unique special powers. Izuku was one of the rare cases where he was born with absolutely no unique powers. This did not stop Izuku from pursuing his dream, a dream of becoming a great hero like the legendary All-Might. To become the great hero he hopelessly wants to become, he now will join the ranks of one of the highest rated "Hero Academies" in the country: Yueiko. With the help of his idol All-Might, will he be able to claim the ranks and become a true hero?

(Source: MangaHelpers)

Why You Should Read This:
Boku no Hero Academia is a manga very much in its infancy; however, it has the potential to be the next big thing.

The protagonist, Midoriya Izuku, starts off powerless and seems to have the personality of the wimp. A typical beta protagonist. Indeed, he is bullied in the first chapter and continues to be less than assertive. By the second chapter, you see that Izuku is not at all what he seems to be. He is smart. Izuku has studied many heroes and their tactics, and actively applies his brain during conflicts. He is driven. Izuku had to work hard to get where he is. He is balanced. So far, Boku no Hero Academia has not broken my suspension of disbelief. Unlike most Shounen protagonists, Izuku has yet to pull out significant 'hidden' power to win every fight.

With Boku no Hero Academia, you get a diverse cast of quirky characters, comedy, pacing, and a competent protagonist. The fact that All Might is a hilarious American superhero rip-off whose attacks are all named after American cities is just icing on the cake. If you liked early Naruto; specifically, the Chuunin Exam arc, you will love Boku no Hero Academia.

The OMF thread is located here.

• Nyanko, Sanji, azer_moli and 9 others like this

#2 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,889 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 03:10 AM

So if we already have a thread for this in animanga subforum, what are we gonna talk about here?

Btw, Congrat DEW on new orange name!

Quirky characters...

Edited by Fulmine, 17 January 2015 - 03:12 AM.

• DaEvilWithin and YoWid like this

Spoiler Top Favorite Male Manga Characters

#3 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

What You Need

• Moderators
  • 12,574 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 17 January 2015 - 03:17 AM

@Fulmine
This thread was more to get the series exposure. So people who have read it can add their thoughts to my small review and discuss the series as a whole (rather than the latest chapter).
  • Sanji, Fulmine and YoWid like this

#4 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,889 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 02:00 AM

So for those who have just read this, what do you guys think?

One thing I don't get is how come Deku never practiced his physicality before All Might came along?

#5 Tale

Tale

Kakistocrat

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,130 posts

User's Awards

3    3    2   

Posted 18 January 2015 - 04:15 AM

So for those who have just read this, what do you guys think?

I like it.

It's not mind-blowingly good or anything, but it's a promising start. This kind of shounen set-up is prone to being hackneyed, and I'm not saying Boku No Hero Academia is especially original, but it's quirky enough for that not to matter.

I don't feel there are enough chapters to say the characters have won me over, but they're likable so far. Izuku is an especially solid protagonist. I like that he derives his uniqueness (among the cast) from the fact that, despite not manifesting any powers for a very long time, the effort he put into chasing his dream of becoming a superhero still results in several good qualities, like an apparently encyclopedic knowledge of heroes and a strategic approach to situations. (To make an analogy with Naruto, it is as if Izuki dreams to be Hokage, but the very fact of having such a passion for his ambition has formed his character and skillset, as opposed to Naruto, who just ended up improving his basic combat ability over time just like every character...)

Edited by Tale, 18 January 2015 - 04:15 AM.

• DaEvilWithin, Sanji, Fulmine and 3 others like this

#6 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,889 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 04:41 AM

he derives his uniqueness (among the cast) from the fact that, despite not manifesting any powers for a very long time, the effort he put into chasing his dream of becoming a superhero still results in several good qualities, like an apparently encyclopedic knowledge of heroes and a strategic approach to situations.

Yeah but how come he didn't train his body?...

#7 Tale

Tale

Kakistocrat

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,130 posts

User's Awards

3    3    2   

Posted 18 January 2015 - 04:44 AM

No idea. Maybe he thought it wouldn't matter if he actually managed to get powers?

#8 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,889 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 08:37 AM

No idea. Maybe he thought it wouldn't matter if he actually managed to get powers?

But he already nearly lost all hope. And clinging to a 1% possibility does not make sense given his character and mindset

#9 Insane Soul

Insane Soul

Tamamo Shark?

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,293 posts
  • LocationUmu

Posted 19 January 2015 - 07:12 PM

The characters are so unique, I like how the author is giving development to each of them slowly instead of retarded focus on midoriya only

#10 LordPerucho

LordPerucho

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 07:15 PM

He thought with just being smart he would be able to being a Top Tier Superhero.

Edited by LordPerucho, 19 January 2015 - 07:15 PM.

20r7osn.png

If you want to get to know someone, you need to make an effort to learn why they're angry. - Mito Freecss.

#11 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,322 posts
  • LocationWith my Khaleesi <3333

User's Awards

Posted 19 January 2015 - 11:30 PM

This series has a lot of potential to be GOAT. Also it got nominated for some anime award ceremony in Japan

iWo0nCc.gif

Nothing will stand in our way.....I will finish what you started....I will fulfill our destiny!

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#12 Shin

Shin

Ultimate Survivor

• Moderators
  • 1,357 posts
  • LocationUnder a bridge

Posted 20 January 2015 - 12:08 AM

Recently read it myself and it does have all the makings to be one of Jump's top series. Rich world with a lot of promise and a lot of interesting characters. I mean we are only like 26 chapters in and balancing the time for focusing on the MC and introducing all the other characters has been very well done I think.

• Tale likes this

#13 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,889 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 03:28 AM

Recently read it myself and it does have all the makings to be one of Jump's top series. Rich world with a lot of promise and a lot of interesting characters. I mean we are only like 26 chapters in and balancing the time for focusing on the MC and introducing all the other characters has been very well done I think.

I'm just worried that with such a potentially huge cast (all the students in the same grade, then the senpai students, then the professional heroes etc.), the mangaka will probably run out of idea for their powers very early. But given he is okay with having characters with similar powers (like 2 electricity users), I suppose it's not worth worrying...maybe he will introduce a more elaborate power system with categories or something

#14 YoWid

YoWid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

User's Awards

Posted 20 January 2015 - 11:05 AM

So I'm just beginning to read this manga (first chapter for today), I like the distinctive art (simple yet pretty good on battle scenes), I really like All Might, and, though I'm lukewarm bordering on indifference to the protagonist's whiny traits, I like his mentality/mindset of doing things his own way.

"Individuality", huh? I'll read more chapters next time to say more about it, but I found the concept very interesting.

8.5/10

Spoiler Music by Gazillions

another story for another day

#15 Blink22

Blink22

Crack Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 05:29 PM

So we're continuing manga discussions here right? At least for now?

Then I'll just post the Chapter 27 spoilers.

Spoiler

• Nyanko and Insane Soul like this

Hunter%252520X%252520Hunter%252520-%2525

"Next time, I'll protect you Kite"

#16 Insane Soul

Insane Soul

Tamamo Shark?

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,293 posts
  • LocationUmu

Posted 22 January 2015 - 05:31 PM

Spoiler

#17 Shin

Shin

Ultimate Survivor

• Moderators
  • 1,357 posts
  • LocationUnder a bridge

Posted 22 January 2015 - 06:50 PM

I'm just worried that with such a potentially huge cast (all the students in the same grade, then the senpai students, then the professional heroes etc.), the mangaka will probably run out of idea for their powers very early. But given he is okay with having characters with similar powers (like 2 electricity users), I suppose it's not worth worrying...maybe he will introduce a more elaborate power system with categories or something

I don't think he will run out of ideas. At least not for a while. I mean one guy has a power to produce sticky balls from his head and another has the power of a tape dispenser attached to his arm. Pretty random, haha. So I think he has a lot of room for using different kinds of powers and doesn't seem to have a set kind he likes. We will see though.

• Nyanko likes this

#18 Moon_Hermit

Moon_Hermit

Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 06:56 PM

So we're continuing manga discussions here right? At least for now?

Then I'll just post the Chapter 27 spoilers.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Edited by Moon_Hermit, 22 January 2015 - 07:34 PM.

• Nyanko and Guardian-Angel like this

#19 Sir Donovan

Sir Donovan

Shinigami

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:58 PM

I f****** love this series!!!!!
  • Mura likes this

#20 Nyanko

Nyanko

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,830 posts
  • LocationNyah

Posted 22 January 2015 - 10:22 PM

Spoiler

Same...

Spoiler

The Nominations for OMF Top 20 ongoing Manga for August/September are over. The results can be seen here!

http://onemangaforum...tember-edition/

Don't like the results? Then vote in the 4th Quarter poll in January

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users