• 12,559 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 14 January 2015 - 02:42 AM

Baccano!

ANN | MAL

9cd47d1a1f.jpg

Synopsis:

During the early 1930s in Chicago, the transcontinental train, Flying Pussyfoot, is starting its legendary journey that will leave a trail of blood all over the country. At the same time in New York, the ambitious scientist Szilard and his unwilling aide Ennis, are looking for missing bottles of the immortality elixir. In addition, a war between the mafia groups is getting worse. On board the Advena Avis, in 1711, alchemists are about to learn the price of immortality.

Based on the award winning light novels of the same name, this anime adaptation follows several events that initially seem unrelated, both in time and place, but are part of a much bigger story—one of alchemy, survival and immortality. Merging these events together are the kindhearted would-be thieves, Isaac and Miria, connecting various people, all of them with their own hidden ambitions and agendas, and creating lifelong bonds and consequences for everyone involved.

(Source: MAL)

Why You Should Watch This:

Baccano! is a series that doesn't take its audience's intelligence for granted. This is most obviously displayed by how Baccano! chooses to tell its story. It throws the audience head-first into the plot and tells it out of order. In Baccano! you constantly switch perspectives as you follow the individual stories of characters that eventually merge into a larger tale. This means that there is rarely a dull moment in Baccano!, as we follow whomever's story seems most exciting at the time. There is a lot of enjoyment to be derived from guessing at connections between characters and events.

What really makes Baccano! excellent, however, is its cast. The cast is diverse and full with eccentric personalities. The characters are also, like in many of Narita's works, not conventional good guys. In fact, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to say that Baccano!'s cast is comprised of psychopaths. Despite this Baccano! manages to sell you on their personalities by treating nearly everything that happens in the series with whimsy and exaggeration. Coupled with the charisma that oozes from even the worst characters it's basically guaranteed that you will find one character you love.

There is one downside to the massive cast of eccentric characters: there is not enough time to develop all the characters. This is only made worse by Baccano! refusing to treat characters like side characters. Every character is the protagonist of their own story, and that means that Baccano! tries to give everyone equal development time. This in turn, means that there are a few characters who do not get enough time to develop, and none of the protagonists have a character arc that you might expect from a character-driven story. Don't get me wrong, the characters are still more than their eccentricities, but it is clear that thirteen episodes and three specials do not do the series justice. Luckily, there are the Light Novels if you want to continue with the series.

All this excellence is wrapped up in a package that is easy on the eyes and sounds wonderful. Especially the dub!

• Sanji, azer_moli, Tokoya and 7 others like this

#2 ruggia

ruggia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 04:39 PM

I sincerely hope the Baccano Season 2 gets done once Durarara!! finishes....

this series is too good to be just left untouched :(

#3 Tale

Tale

Kakistocrat

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,105 posts

User's Awards

3    3    2   

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:47 PM

So I gave this a go. First episode felt a bit scattered, but after that, the story became more and more cohesive. It's interesting and I like the way the story is told.

#4 ShinmenTakezo

ShinmenTakezo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,184 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:34 PM

I sincerely hope the Baccano Season 2 gets done once Durarara!! finishes....

this series is too good to be just left untouched :(

There are still volumes left? The story felt pretty finished to me :shrug:

qhz8b56l.png

#5 Clyde

Clyde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,715 posts
  • Locationyour broad

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:09 PM

There's a S2 coming ? Wtf?!

13121301403036501.png

"Yes, I'm sexy as fuck." - Renji Abarai

#6 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,922 posts
  • LocationWith my Khaleesi <3333

User's Awards

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:10 PM

There's a S2 coming ? Wtf?!

Nah

But we're hoping that after the studio gets a shit ton of money after DRRR is over, they'll focus on adapting the rest of Baccano

iWo0nCc.gif

Nothing will stand in our way.....I will finish what you started....I will fulfill our destiny!

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#7 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,626 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 01:53 AM

So...dub or sub?

Spoiler Top Favorite Male Manga Characters

#8 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,922 posts
  • LocationWith my Khaleesi <3333

User's Awards

Posted 18 January 2015 - 03:10 PM

So...dub or sub?

Dub

iWo0nCc.gif

Nothing will stand in our way.....I will finish what you started....I will fulfill our destiny!

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#9 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,626 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 01:05 AM

Watching episode 1 now and the ''1 accident, many explanations'' makes me remember Rashomon, haha.

There are still volumes left? The story felt pretty finished to me :shrug:

20 volumes as of now and the anime seems to be adaption of just the first 2-3.

Btw, Kissanime has this Kpoint thing to download all episodes, can I just post the link on here?

Edited by Fulmine, 19 January 2015 - 02:02 AM.

Spoiler Top Favorite Male Manga Characters

#10 nya

nya

Moe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 11:16 PM

Knowing it wasn't a success in Japan like in the States, I'm still hoping they'll continue the light novels someday. The Slash or Alice in Jails books, please... :aww:  (...It's possible? Remember the Trigun movie?)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users