Photo

[Manga] Hoshi no Samidare (Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer)

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 ruggia

ruggia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 02:16 AM

Hoshi no Samidare!

Mangahere | MU

56431.jpg

Synopsis:
The world is in mortal peril. Sir Noi Crezant, the Lizard Knight, has been sent to gain the aid of the great warrior Amamiya Yuuhi in hopes of finding the Princess Samidare and protecting the planet from the incredible 'Biscuit Hammer' poised to crack the Earth in two. Unfortunately Yuuhi wants no part of it, and the Princess doesn't prove to be the shining 'hero of justice' role model that Noi had hoped for.

(Source: MU)

Why You Should Read This:
Hoshi no Samidare (a.k.a Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer) takes what seems like a cheesy shounen romance-action series into something truly spectacular. The basic premise is your typical cynical protagonist meeting a "princess" and saving the world with their team of justice. What makes this series shine above others is its well-developed cast and the excellent pacing. Usually when you have an assembly of a dozen characters on a team, only a handful of them gets any real screentime and even less are anything memorable. Yet, this series managed to make every single character memorable, without sacrificing the charm of our hero. The story is really well told, and although its not too serious or intense (the biggest threat is literally a hammer trying to strike down on earth :P) it doesn't forget to deliver strong messages at critical moments.

If you are looking for a great coming-of-age story with great cast and touchy moments while always maintaining a wacky atmosphere, this is it. It is a great classic that everyone should try. Honestly, it is a great tragedy that this never got an anime.

OMF Thread

Edited by DaEvilWithin, 04 February 2015 - 01:40 AM.

• DaEvilWithin, Fulmine, Abu Dun and 2 others like this

#2 Blink22

Blink22

Crack Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 02:47 AM

Seriously one of the best shounens ever written. This author is a master at tugging at your heart strings.

Sengoku Youko and Spirit Circle are also on their way into becoming masterpieces in their own right. I would create a thread for Spirit Circle but I'm not sure many people are following it.

Edited by Blink22, 21 January 2015 - 02:48 AM.

• ruggia likes this

Hunter%252520X%252520Hunter%252520-%2525

"Next time, I'll protect you Kite"

#3 ruggia

ruggia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 03:16 AM

Sengoku Youko and Spirit Circle are also on their way into becoming masterpieces in their own right. I would create a thread for Spirit Circle but I'm not sure many people are following it.

I have mixed feelings about Sengoku Youko. It's not bad, but the only character I feel emotionally attached is Shinshuke, but he always gets the short end of the stick :( He does have his moments, but I wished the story centered more around him rather than Jinka then Senya. I am enjoying Part II (Senya's story) more than Part I though.

didn't know about Spirit Circle. Thanks for letting me know :)

#4 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,883 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 03:58 AM

-Shounen deconstruction!

-Nothing mind-boggling, no god-like action or art, definitely without an original and interesting premise/concept (though this is subjective and depends on what you have read prior), BUT flawless execution turns all these not-so-special things into an astonishingly lustrous gems with heart-piercing emotions (careful of the diamond's sharp edges). Like a mundane, simply designed bicycle but so well-made that you can just give the middle finger to all the fancy vehicles and transportation all over the world. Basically the non-amazing is done amazingly and perfectly

-And I will never be tired of saying this:

Spoiler It's just too divine

:cry:

Spoiler Top Favorite Male Manga Characters

#5 Lone_ant

Lone_ant

Shinninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,703 posts
  • LocationWhere I am

Posted 21 January 2015 - 05:13 AM

My only regret reading this is that I can't read it for the first time again.

Unless I get major head injury.

Almost makes it worth it.

• DaEvilWithin and Tale like this

#6 Athos

Athos

Wandering Escapist

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:44 AM

I'm so confused. At first I thought this subforum was made for recent series or shows of the current season, but hen this comes out.

...oh.

Hm.

...I guess I should read the stickies more often.

To be honest, Sengoku Youko got way more interesting after the halfway point. When I first started reading, it felt rushed, bland and aimless, but after re-reading it, I noticed it does have some really great dialogue all around. The second half of the story, though, is way better written. It's currently the series I'm looking forward to the most.

Spirit Circle is a little strange. It's essentially a collection of short stories with a kind of endearing main cast keeping them together. On the one hand, this structure feels lazy to me, and I don't really like having to memorize the names of 10 new characters each arc, but then, some of these stories can get ridiculously touching. Just... out of the blue. Specially their endings. Mizukami's greatest strength has always been his storytelling, so even despite its flaws, I really can't get mad at this series.

Say, has anyone bought a copy of sevenseas first couple volumes of Biscuit Hammer?

Edited by Athos, 21 January 2015 - 09:06 AM.

samisig.jpg

#7 ShinmenTakezo

ShinmenTakezo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,197 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 02:17 PM

My only regret reading this is that I can't read it for the first time again.

Unless I get major head injury.

Almost makes it worth it.

I can help with that

qhz8b56l.png

#8 death2boredom

death2boredom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 22 January 2015 - 12:52 AM

Well, seeing this made me reread it lol Its still good, but nothing beats the first time.

#9 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

What You Need

• Moderators
  • 12,573 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:26 AM

@death2boredom

It's one of those stories that hold up to re-reading because it doesn't rely on plot twists or shock factor.

#10 ruggia

ruggia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:34 PM

@death2boredom
It's one of those stories that hold up to re-reading because it doesn't rely on plot twists or shock factor.

Yeah, and there's plenty of subtle things that one might not pick up on the first read too. I was especially mindblown when someone pointed out that:

Spoiler

I caught up with Spirit Circle, and wow it is amazing :D The idea of different stories spread across several timelines connected through characters' reincarnation is a lot like Cloud Atlas, but Mizukami does a much better job tying these story together to be something meaningful :XD

Edited by ruggia, 22 January 2015 - 01:36 PM.

• DaEvilWithin and Blink22 like this

#11 Blink22

Blink22

Crack Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 03:26 AM

So my question is, how come this manga this manga never got an anime during its run? :(

Did the guys behind the series think it wouldn't bring in money at the time or something?

Is it too late for an anime adaption?

Edited by Blink22, 26 January 2015 - 03:26 AM.

Hunter%252520X%252520Hunter%252520-%2525

"Next time, I'll protect you Kite"

#12 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,883 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 03:39 AM

So my question is, how come this manga this manga never got an anime during its run? :(

Did the guys behind the series think it wouldn't bring in money at the time or something?

Is it too late for an anime adaption?

It does not have an anime? I never know...

#13 Athos

Athos

Wandering Escapist

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 08:09 AM

It's an old story, but supposedly there was a Gainax anime in the works with music by The Pillows, but the record companies didn't want to license the band, so all the funding went to Panty & Stocking instead. And apparently once a deal is broken, it never happens again, so... yeah.

• Fulmine likes this

samisig.jpg

#14 Tale

Tale

Kakistocrat

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,125 posts

User's Awards

3    3    2   

Posted 07 February 2015 - 08:28 AM

I tried getting into this manga, but my interest in it petered out by chapter 8 or so. >.>

#15 MattC302

MattC302

Blackbeard Jr.

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 11:52 AM

I tried getting into this manga, but my interest in it petered out by chapter 8 or so. >.>

I'm on chapter 54 and I'm still waiting for it to get good...

Say, has anyone bought a copy of sevenseas first couple volumes of Biscuit Hammer?

I did, but I decided to finish reading it digitally through Crunchyroll.

ezgif-452787100_zpsrceyt72i.gif

#16 Athos

Athos

Wandering Escapist

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 01:32 PM

I've heard people say Hoshi no Samidare had a rocky beginning, but ended up feeling really invested by the end of it.

Personally, I liked it from the beginning, but that's because I never looked at it objectively. I just happened to read it at a point in time in my life when a lot of the things the series did were new and interesting to me.

I've also never read any official translation of it. I don't know how much better or worse sevenseas or crunchyroll is at scanlating it, so I wanted opinions on whether it's worth the trouble, but I've recently realized I should just buy it to support the author. Mizukami writes some very amusing characters.

Edited by Athos, 07 February 2015 - 01:33 PM.

samisig.jpg

#17 ShinmenTakezo

ShinmenTakezo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,197 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 12:22 AM

This is one of the titles that i appreciate for what it did and was trying to do but did not particularly enjoy reading it.

qhz8b56l.png

#18 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,883 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 02:19 AM

was trying to do

What was it trying to do?

• Blink22 likes this

#19 ShinmenTakezo

ShinmenTakezo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,197 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 04:10 AM

What was it trying to do?

Create an emotional connection with every knight which, given the short length of the manga, was futile and a mistake in my opinion. I would have rather preferred seeing a more detailed development of Yuuhi for example, whose change was way too fast, or even Samidare. In addition, i felt like the metaphorical picture of growing up and adulthood was shaky as well.

I agree with you on the Shounen deconstruction though, that is done pretty well.

qhz8b56l.png

#20 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,883 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 06:37 AM

Create an emotional connection with every knight which, given the short length of the manga, was futile and a mistake in my opinion. I would have rather preferred seeing a more detailed development of Yuuhi for example, whose change was way too fast, or even Samidare.

I was actually attached and felt like nearly enough has been satisfyingly done on all the cast, except Yuuhi, yeah, but he's already great as he is IMO. Maybe I didn't have too much expectation. Though it's true that I give it 8/10 so surely there are something I don't like but I can't remember what they are now  :xD:  (except so-so art and average action).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users