165 replies to this topic

#21 Shin

Shin

Ultimate Survivor

• Moderators
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationUnder a bridge

Posted 25 January 2015 - 07:45 AM

No, the scenario I want to ask about is one where the character fight one-on-one with multiple opponents. Like in MF War where Croc fought DD, Mihawk, Akainu respectively and not at the same time. So 3 fights.

Well if each of those fights aren't at the same time then they will be treated as separate fights. Though when Croc and DD fought that wasn't really a fight. There was no winner or loser and it was basically just them talking for a few panels. I mean if any character has back to back to back fights with characters like DD, Mihawk and Akainu they will get killed, but the chances of someone fighting such strong characters in such a short period of time probably isn't going to happen. As a GM I would avoid those type of situations for the players.

#22 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,590 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 07:50 AM

I mean if any character has back to back to back fights with characters like DD, Mihawk and Akainu they will get killed

Well, that's just the class and level of Croc's. Of course, it's one-of-a-kind rare.

• Lone_ant likes this

Spoiler Favorite male characters in manga/hwa/hua

#23 Raiden

Raiden

World Champion :3

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,707 posts
  • LocationAt the Top of the Football World

Posted 25 January 2015 - 09:24 AM

Well we could use the system that was popular during the "prime" of the RP Forum, it was created for a OP RP by a member that, I think isn't active here on OMF 3.0 (but was in OMF 2.0 where he created the system). Pitou had a very good description of it too and I think she is still lurking around here right? I can only explain it roughly, so for my details you could ask pitou.

It's basically a Stat system, but instead of stats like endurance, agility, intelligence etc. is a stat here basically your fighting style, your special weapon or your devil fruit (or all of them, since you can get more stats as the RP progresses). Then for every Stat you get initial 5 "Techpoints", with which you can build your "Techtree" and the techniques become stronger the more Techpoints you put on them. The Techpoints have characteristics, that are [Health], [Focus] and [Skill]. Where Health is equal to tanking, durability, endurance and also raw physical strength. Focus is everything to do with the mind and the senses, like a sniping skill would have focus as a Techpoint and Skill is equal to agility, speed, acrobatics, dexterity and the like. 

So a Techtree would be for example:

Stats:

Gomu gomu no Mi - A paramecia fruit that makes the eater into a rubber man, which gives him resistance to blunt attacks and can stretch his body.

Busoushuko Haki 

[Health] Gomu Gomu no Pistol

[Health x2] Gomu Gomu no Bazooka

[Health x3] Gomu Gomu no Rifle

[indent=1] [Health x3+Skill] Gomu Gomu no Gatling

[indent=1] [Health x3+Skill x2] Gomu Gomu no Jet Pistol

[Focus]CoA Armor

[indent=1][Focus+Health] Vulcanization

[Healthx3+Skill x2+Focus] Gomu Gomu no Red Hawk (<- combination attack of jet-pistol and vulcanization, you add the highest of health, skill and focus together (so here only health 3, but it gets also focus additional)

And the Techpoints also give perks for a certain amount, though I forgot what they exactly were... basically the more health techpoints you have, the stronger you are physically also outside of the techniques, so no idea what it was for focus or skill. Like I said Pitou should know more^^''

I can understand if this is to complicated for you, though I always liked this system (if we can get the thorough explanation back)

edit: no idea how that with the indent works here o.o'

Edited by Raiden, 25 January 2015 - 10:04 AM.

• Sanji likes this

President and Founder of the Roronoa Zoro Fanclub

9958384cd25b54e19f67b0e862a0d3b6.jpg

Spoiler

#24 Sanji

Sanji

Mr. Prince

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,559 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 10:49 AM

@Raiden

Looks like an interesting system but based solely on my initial impression, im more of a fan of the simple approach Shin took on the matter. Seems easier to work with and in my opinion at least, a first attempt at such an RP doesn't really need a complicated and that much focused on stats battle system. The single rolls leave room for interpretation and one can make use of bad rolls and characters losing fights against weaker opponents to create stories around them. Why that character did poorly, the circumstances surrounding the fight and the resulted character development after a "lesson learned".

Edited by Sanji, 25 January 2015 - 10:52 AM.

xGzqj0x.gif

Official member of the Killer Kick Course Squad

#25 SilentBuddhist

SilentBuddhist

Rocking and Rolling and Acting Obscene

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationJoe's Garage

Posted 25 January 2015 - 02:54 PM

Everything I've seen so far looks awesome, Shin. :) I'll be mulling over everything throughout the day - no questions so far (they might show up later tho), as I want to take in the info slowly - but I wanted to let you know that Alberio and I are both interested, and in my case I'll start working on my character whenever you are ready to take them. Hopefully I can extend that to commenting in this thread as well. xD

• Shin likes this

Posted Image

#26 Shin

Shin

Ultimate Survivor

• Moderators
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationUnder a bridge

Posted 25 January 2015 - 04:41 PM

I'll work on making a post that better explains the combat system so it will help everyone get on the same page with it. Also players can go ahead and work on their characters. After I feel satisfied with the RP concept I'll open up an official Sign Up thread in the Sign Up Forum where members who want to participate in the RP can officially submit their finished characters. If you want some feedback on your character and aren't sure about something while creating them, you can post the character in here and we can work on it or you can send me a PM and we can work on it there.

@Raiden

Yeah, I think that system might be a little too complicated. I sort of wanted something simple where the player can manage their own combat and help them figure out how to describe their fights. I thought about not having a combat system and sort of let the player do what they want as long as it is within reason and made sense, but with that you can run into problems of players' making their character too overpowered and thinking they can do more than is actually feasible. So I tried to think of a system that would put certain limitations on the player but still make them feel powerful and have fun. I've never used my system before, so I don't know how it will go once the RP starts. Hopefully it works well enough.

@RhetoricalRabbit

I toyed with having a more detailed combat and stat system, but I think I want to keep it simple. So it would be a little more open to new players. So an example would be instead of giving bonuses to a player who created a Fishman if they are fighting underwater I might just lower the difficulty level for them so they wouldn't need to roll as high. So if they are fighting underwater against a Hard Level opponent that opponent would be Hard Level for maybe for normal human character, but maybe if that player created a Fishman instead of a normal human then I might lower it to a Medium Level for them. The opposite is also true though. So if they are fighting in a desert and they are a Fishman then Medium Level fights become Hard Level ones.

• Sanji likes this

#27 Shin

Shin

Ultimate Survivor

• Moderators
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationUnder a bridge

Posted 25 January 2015 - 05:20 PM

I'm thinking of a few ways I might rework my ability system some. I like the framework I have for it since it is nice and simple and I'm not going to change it drastically, but I'll try and make a post containing 2 or 3 different formats for my system and I'll see which one you all like the most. Then we can work from there. I'll try to get that done by later today/tonight.

#28 Sanji

Sanji

Mr. Prince

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,559 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 05:38 PM

@Shin

Any plans on dealing with seastone as a potential tool available to characters as part of their equipment ? Can it work or is it not allowed ?

xGzqj0x.gif

Official member of the Killer Kick Course Squad

#29 Raiden

Raiden

World Champion :3

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,707 posts
  • LocationAt the Top of the Football World

Posted 25 January 2015 - 05:52 PM

I'll work on making a post that better explains the combat system so it will help everyone get on the same page with it. Also players can go ahead and work on their characters. After I feel satisfied with the RP concept I'll open up an official Sign Up thread in the Sign Up Forum where members who want to participate in the RP can officially submit their finished characters. If you want some feedback on your character and aren't sure about something while creating them, you can post the character in here and we can work on it or you can send me a PM and we can work on it there.

@Raiden

Yeah, I think that system might be a little too complicated. I sort of wanted something simple where the player can manage their own combat and help them figure out how to describe their fights. I thought about not having a combat system and sort of let the player do what they want as long as it is within reason and made sense, but with that you can run into problems of players' making their character too overpowered and thinking they can do more than is actually feasible. So I tried to think of a system that would put certain limitations on the player but still make them feel powerful and have fun. I've never used my system before, so I don't know how it will go once the RP starts. Hopefully it works well enough.

@RhetoricalRabbit

I toyed with having a more detailed combat and stat system, but I think I want to keep it simple. So it would be a little more open to new players. So an example would be instead of giving bonuses to a player who created a Fishman if they are fighting underwater I might just lower the difficulty level for them so they wouldn't need to roll as high. So if they are fighting underwater against a Hard Level opponent that opponent would be Hard Level for maybe for normal human character, but maybe if that player created a Fishman instead of a normal human then I might lower it to a Medium Level for them. The opposite is also true though. So if they are fighting in a desert and they are a Fishman then Medium Level fights become Hard Level ones.

Well like i said it's really good combat system, you know exactly which t3echnique is better than which other (the more techpoints it has the stronger) and what they do, etc, though it takes soem time to get fully into it.

Anyway the only time you really need a combat system is when you want/expect PvP battles, since you know both players probably want to win their fight and it would be kind of dickish if the GM just says "ok you win you lose", and if both players can jsut write the fight how they want they will automatically tend to powerplay and controlling the other players character, so yeah a combat system prevents that.

President and Founder of the Roronoa Zoro Fanclub

9958384cd25b54e19f67b0e862a0d3b6.jpg

Spoiler

#30 Animaniac

Animaniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • LocationAbsurdistan

Posted 25 January 2015 - 07:29 PM

The system Raiden is talking about is Geyter's OP system and it's pretty simple once you get the hang of it. I can ask Pitou if she has her explanation saved anywhere (I used to have link to old OMF thread where it was explained). 

You can also use Crimson Century system (or its variation), where you give players skill points and tell them to create their own skills and invest points in them... Sigh, I know I'm not explaining this right, but I'm kinda sleepy so I can't use my brain properly  :wacko: To make an example:
Say, GM gave 500 points at the start. I want to have 3 skills: Fireball, Ice Barrier and Shunpo (I'm just throwing out names as they come, not thinking too much about this xD)

I want to make Fireball my basic attack skill and I want it to hurt, so I put 200 points in it, so now I have Fireball (200). More points mean greater possible damage and area of effect. 

Then, I also want good defensive option, so I put another 200 points in Ice Barrier, making it Ice Barrier (200). Here, more points mean sturdier wall (so that Fireball with less amount of points will not break it). 

Lastly, Shunpo I want to use as last resort escape tool. I put only 100 points in it, getting Shunpo (100). More points here more consecutive "jumps". 

So, total amount of points: 500

Fireball: 200
Ice Barrier: 200
Shunpo: 100

This system is simple but it at least puts things into perspective, which skills are more powerful and stuff. 

The simplest thing would be just to let players create their own skills, no math involved, and you just tell them when they got out of line and made some skill too overpowered. I this is something you already did? 

• Raiden likes this

If we don't know what we're doing enemy certainly can't anticipate our future actions.

#31 RhetoricalRabbit

RhetoricalRabbit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationOundle

Posted 25 January 2015 - 08:06 PM

@Raiden

@RhetoricalRabbit

I might just lower the difficulty level for them so they wouldn't need to roll as high. So if they are fighting underwater against a Hard Level opponent that opponent would be Hard Level for maybe for normal human character, but maybe if that player created a Fishman instead of a normal human then I might lower it to a Medium Level for them. The opposite is also true though. So if they are fighting in a desert and they are a Fishman then Medium Level fights become Hard Level ones.

Are you planning to be involved at every post then? 

Look up OPEX. I used to RP there and they have a well-honed system. If a bit intensive.

One Piece Explore 

#32 Shin

Shin

Ultimate Survivor

• Moderators
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationUnder a bridge

Posted 25 January 2015 - 08:35 PM

I might decide not to have a combat and ability system to make things a lot easier. It might be for the best. Though here is another system I was working on alongside the dice rolling one. It doesn't involve dice rolling so maybe it would be a little better. I added to it a little to fill the idea out some.

Spoiler Combat System

@Shin

Any plans on dealing with seastone as a potential tool available to characters as part of their equipment ? Can it work or is it not allowed ?

That would be fine, but it would probably depend on how it is used.

The simplest thing would be just to let players create their own skills, no math involved, and you just tell them when they got out of line and made some skill too overpowered. I this is something you already did? 

Yeah, I might scrap the whole ability system and let the players do what they feel is appropriate. I'd be fine with going that route since it would get the RP moving faster. It's just the benefits of having a working combat and ability system would mean that I wouldn't have to manage every single fight to make sure members are keeping things in bounds. So if they do something they feel their character can do but as the GM I don't think they can I have to go into an explanation as they why I don't think they can. With a system you can avoid a lot of that. But systems can have even more complications I guess.

Are you planning to be involved at every post then? 

Look up OPEX. I used to RP there and they have a well-honed system. If a bit intensive.

One Piece Explore 

Well I am the GM so I would be controlling things to a certain degree. So assigning a Combat Level to a fight, like Easy or Hard, would be one of my responsibilities. How the player got there and describing their fights is up to them.

Still, if I decide to have a system I would want it to be simple. Nothing real complex, but I'll give OPEX a look.

• Fulmine and Raiden like this

#33 RathyOro

RathyOro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationDirecting armies

Posted 25 January 2015 - 08:39 PM

Just my two cents:

In terms of rest wouldn't it be simpler to have something like 2 uneventful posts, and you get an ability back, 4 uneventful post and your rested even  more, 6+ and you are fully recovered, this way in an event like Fulmine is describing it will become more viable to successfully get through a situation like that. Especially because if you are fighting several people who are on your level or higher, if you do use up you abilities, escaping will not always be an option since you and your opponent are so close in ability, or you are just dwarfed or slightly under.

In regards to the rolls, I am assuming this is just for fights that involve npc's, so wouldn't flat rates just be easier. We roll what we roll and then describe the situation based on that, since it appears the only fights we don't actually auto win (which I have experienced most of the time unless the GM says differently) are the ones you deem impossible, which i think should require an escape roll always set to hard because i think that would be interesting to describe, and pvp fights, should they occur. However I did quickly skim through this so I may have missed something. Also how do you plan to handle pvp, I mean it is one thing to have everyone be on the same base level but physical abilities will differ at the least, which is why I am usually a fan of a regular stat based system for such purposes.

Finally in regards to being in the same universe, I would really love it if we were not. This is really just a me issue but I always find the story more fun/engaging/entertaining when the universe is completely our own and all the characters form the actual story itself are scrapped, and I like coming up with characters to fill those roles. although like I said that is more than likely a me thing.

2 cents deposited.

• Sanji likes this

"Why would you pick a fight with me? You have no chance of winning."

9HhsmrC.jpg

#34 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

What You Need

• Moderators
  • 12,614 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 25 January 2015 - 08:45 PM

I like the idea of battle system/dice rolls actually. Adds an element of unpredictability.

Also, Luffy should have never beat Eneru. That was Impossible even with his Devil Fruit. :@
  • Sanji, Fulmine and Raiden like this

#35 Insane Soul

Insane Soul

Harumaki

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,498 posts
  • LocationUmu

Posted 25 January 2015 - 08:50 PM

The only issue of the dices, is that the unlucky factor is a bitch, I am in a rp where I had the death flags twice in a row. I am not against it as I like pain for my characters, not sure about the newcomer though.
  • Raiden likes this

AvjeFFM.png

Who you callin' a dumbass!? I'm Kaito Momota, Luminary of the Stars!

#36 Shin

Shin

Ultimate Survivor

• Moderators
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationUnder a bridge

Posted 25 January 2015 - 09:08 PM

@RathyOro

I mean I toyed with the idea of just having players roll a D20 where if they roll a 19 or 20 that is a critical win, but if they roll a 1 or a 2 that is a critical fail. Then you would have to describe what a critical win means as well as a critical fail. Then have different levels in between those critical meaning different things. I do like dice rolling for RPs, but it is really tough to manage just dice rolling on a more post based/story focused RP like you get on forums. Since it is more difficult to keep track of what people roll and you would have to hope they aren't cheating. Having limited abilities that you have to use and manage helps prevent abuse, but it does make things more complicated. As for PvP it is still being discussed.

I prefer the story to be set in current One Piece rather than doing something way in the past or the future. Since one of the reasons I enjoy the series is all the interesting characters that are already make up the world. I want a character I create to interact with them. Plus since so many abilities are already taken by established characters it forces players to be a lot more creative with what kind of ability they want to give their character. I sort of like that aspect of it.

#37 hubris

hubris

Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 09:12 PM

I like the latest combat system. The creativity which normal/special/combo abilities allows coupled with having to ration out ability points seems fun. I also agree that the unpredictability of dice should be part of the fun though :/ 

Maybe combine the two somehow? off the top of my head we could have a 6 sided dice roll on top of everything in the latest combat system; and the result determines how many ability points you need in addition to those determined by the 'difficulty'. So If get into a very hard fight and roll a 6, i'd need 18 ability points.

Also it might be an idea to have a different number of available ability points for normal/special/combo abilities (e.g. normal***** special*** combo*)?

edit: also I have no idea what I'm talking about, i know so little about rp that I don't even know if the above is a good or bad idea. A gateway rp is great though, looking forward to it

Edited by hubris, 25 January 2015 - 09:55 PM.

signature under construction

#38 hubris

hubris

Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:11 AM

Also, I like the idea in the original post of balancing out logia and mz. dunno how it should be handled (maybe less 'normal' abilities), but I think it adds another dimension, and is a great way to have some variety in the combat.

Also logia and mz being somehow 'different' would be consistent with the op world. 

• Sanji and Raiden like this

signature under construction

#39 RhetoricalRabbit

RhetoricalRabbit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationOundle

Posted 26 January 2015 - 01:14 AM

Some generic advice to help maintain some quality - run it as a closed group, at least until you find your feet.

Pull together a group of 3 - 6 players. Have trials / submissions be based on writing style / ingenuity for character submissions.

If you feel that you're better at writing, have their responses be mailed to you so you can format them into a sequence and add in what happens next. This allows you to utilize whatever systems you want as you'll be entirely controlling the exploits and outcome.

Instigating a post-limit will help prepare people for when it inevitably slows down. You may get rare bursts of rapid sequential posts but that'll soon slide down to once a day, or maybe even scanter.

To combat that allow the players some GM control - this is why screening is important - to save having to wait for a reply after every action.

Player:  I wake up. What happens?

GM: You are healed.

Player:  I try to get out of bed. What happens?

GM: Your toe catches the rug and you fall over.

Player: I roll to save a faceplant.

GM: You fail.

versus

Eyes shriveled by the sunlight Rabbit fumbles with the bedclothes, throwing them to one side and placing unsteady feet on the floor, With a yawn and outstretched arms he stepped forward, stumbling as his foot caught in the folds of the twisted sheets and crashing to the ground.

Slightly exaggerated maybe but the flow is a lot better in the second. The best way forward depends upon the quality of your players. I used to run a campaign where I'd assign a number of negative and positive rolls based off of what was essentially a luck stat and allow them to decide how these were spent in their prose. If I thought they were being too prosaic or protective, I'd weigh in at a later date with something derived from that, so for the above example I'd perhaps have their ankle falter whilst in combat or climbing due to a sprain caused by the fall, or that some of their gear had broken or been mislaid.

Combat was dealt with by their indicating their wish - to run, beat, kill, capture etc - and how many of what were essentially skillpoints / actions they wished to spend in the fight. I'd roll, pull up their character sheets and look at their skills / personalities and work things out from how the players had written their character info and posts since then.

#40 Lone_ant

Lone_ant

Shinninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,703 posts
  • LocationWhere I am

Posted 26 January 2015 - 01:46 AM

Well, this is supposed to be for new comers to RPing too. Everyone starts out at some level, but everyone can also improve through practice. Moreover, another primary objective is to revitalize and attract more people to the RP section.

So locking people out right from the get go is IMO counter productive.

No opinions about the battle system as long as it's simple enough to grasp and use. XD

Edited by Lone_ant, 26 January 2015 - 01:46 AM.

• Raiden likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users