165 replies to this topic

#41 RhetoricalRabbit

RhetoricalRabbit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1509 posts
  • LocationOundle

Posted 26 January 2015 - 01:53 AM

Well, this is supposed to be for new comers to RPing too. Everyone starts out at some level, but everyone can also improve through practice. Moreover, another primary objective is to revitalize and attract more people to the RP section.

So locking people out right from the get go is IMO counter productive.

No opinions about the battle system as long as it's simple enough to grasp and use. XD

Just suggestions based on experience in the medium. I've no intent to take-over / run an RP here.

As for locking out players; having a free-form / entirely open RP that can accommodate late arrivals with established users is very hard to do. Even with a dedicated forum. Shin's stated he's not sure what he's doing. Having experienced / competent RPers will help him too. Newcomes can read / watch how things develop and take note for the next arc / episode/

#42 retroluffy13

retroluffy13

Sardine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9448 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:09 AM

so reading into this, theres one thing im not totally clear on. is the roll based on turn by turn activity? or is it you role in the beginning, and whoever wins the roll gets to write the story however they like>\? cuz if its turn by turn based it actually sounds pretty fun. idk why it wouldn't be, it just wasn't made clear in the description and ive never played straight up roll a die roleplaying before.

this is a music video I made for a friend of mine.  give it a listen.  the visuals are pretty dope

Spoiler

also some ear kandy
Spoiler

when you love something..  and I mean. really love it.  you fight for it for as long as you can until you cant stand any longer.  then when its all said and done, walk away with a smile hoping you did right.

#43 RhetoricalRabbit

RhetoricalRabbit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1509 posts
  • LocationOundle

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:24 AM

so reading into this, theres one thing im not totally clear on. is the roll based on turn by turn activity? or is it you role in the beginning, and whoever wins the roll gets to write the story however they like>\? cuz if its turn by turn based it actually sounds pretty fun. idk why it wouldn't be, it just wasn't made clear in the description and ive never played straight up roll a die roleplaying before.

Typically it's a roll-per-feat format. Based on what's been said that's what's being leant towards here.

#44 retroluffy13

retroluffy13

Sardine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9448 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:31 AM

ok then, so then theres just one thing im thinking....

I think that, in the case of rock paper scissor matchups like say, fire v grass v water v fire, you should also add in a variable number. say a seven. add that to your score and divide by two. that's how id deal with the messiness that is op matchups anyhow.

Edited by retroluffy13, 26 January 2015 - 02:31 AM.

this is a music video I made for a friend of mine.  give it a listen.  the visuals are pretty dope

Spoiler

also some ear kandy
Spoiler

when you love something..  and I mean. really love it.  you fight for it for as long as you can until you cant stand any longer.  then when its all said and done, walk away with a smile hoping you did right.

#45 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19158 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:38 AM

Normal/Special and Special/Special

No Normal/Normal?

I am not against it as I like pain for my characters

:xD:

Spoiler Favorite battle shounen's male characters

#46 Lone_ant

Lone_ant

Shinninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6703 posts
  • LocationWhere I am

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:49 AM

Just suggestions based on experience in the medium. I've no intent to take-over / run an RP here.

Pity, hope you reconsider in the future :P

As for locking out players; having a free-form / entirely open RP that can accommodate late arrivals with established users is very hard to do. Even with a dedicated forum. Shin's stated he's not sure what he's doing. Having experienced / competent RPers will help him too. Newcomes can read / watch how things develop and take note for the next arc / episode/

I disagree about it being hard. It wouldn't be easy.. but I won't say it's hard. In fact most of the RPs previously were Open to new arrivals from start to finish. The greatest challenge isn't people joining in the middle or joining without much experience, but rather when people drop RPs without saying anything, especially when the GM disappears for extended periods.

Measures such as assigning a co-GM or a deputy updater (such as say, for routine dice rolls) can and was done for this, but I say we cross that bridge when we get there.

At anyrate asking interested RPers to just watch is risking them losing interest (and with play by post RPs, this is equivalent to asking for weeks to a month of waiting). In contrast, what better way to improve than to actually start writing?

Edited by Lone_ant, 26 January 2015 - 02:51 AM.

• Raiden likes this

#47 Sanji

Sanji

Mr. Prince

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12559 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 04:31 AM

Spoiler

I'm still like Shin's first modified system the most from what i've seen thus far. We can tweak values for rolls modifiers or the difficulty of the opponents if needed, but i like the fact that it's simplistic and still leaves room for unexpected events resulted from bad rolls that can be used to create stories. I also liked the fact that Logia and Mythical Zoans got special treatment initially, it would be nice if we could have that incorporated in a balanced way.

xGzqj0x.gif

Official member of the Killer Kick Course Squad

#48 RhetoricalRabbit

RhetoricalRabbit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1509 posts
  • LocationOundle

Posted 26 January 2015 - 04:37 AM

Pity, hope you reconsider in the future :P

I disagree about it being hard. It wouldn't be easy.. but I won't say it's hard. In fact most of the RPs previously were Open to new arrivals from start to finish. The greatest challenge isn't people joining in the middle or joining without much experience, but rather when people drop RPs without saying anything, especially when the GM disappears for extended periods.

Measures such as assigning a co-GM or a deputy updater (such as say, for routine dice rolls) can and was done for this, but I say we cross that bridge when we get there.

At anyrate asking interested RPers to just watch is risking them losing interest (and with play by post RPs, this is equivalent to asking for weeks to a month of waiting). In contrast, what better way to improve than to actually start writing?

Find me players who are insightful and inventive and you've got yourself a GM :P

It just depresses me that even under pretty much blatant highlighting certain routes are missed.

I think we're addressing different aspects here. You seem to be talking about the game as it runs. I'm talking about the game being formatted :meh:

I'm still like Shin's first modified system the most from what i've seen thus far. We can tweak values for rolls modifiers or the difficulty of the opponents if needed, but i like the fact that it's simplistic and still leaves room for unexpected events resulted from bad rolls that can be used to create stories. I also liked the fact that Logia and Mythical Zoans got special treatment initially, it would be nice if we could have that incorporated in a balanced way.

You want to balance out things that are meant to be unbalanced? :P

#49 Srki

Srki

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts
  • LocationSerbia

Posted 26 January 2015 - 04:47 AM

It just depresses me that even under pretty much blatant highlighting certain routes are missed.

It is blant to you, who have much more knowledge than your players.

Usually if players fail to find a solution, it is a fault of GM for not making it clear enough.

Something may seem like obvious hint for you, but for someone reading your work it could be just another piece of fluff. 

#50 RhetoricalRabbit

RhetoricalRabbit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1509 posts
  • LocationOundle

Posted 26 January 2015 - 05:01 AM

It is blant to you, who have much more knowledge than your players.

Usually if players fail to find a solution, it is a fault of GM for not making it clear enough.

Something may seem like obvious hint for you, but for someone reading your work it could be just another piece of fluff. 

You say with no frame of reference :rolleyes:

#51 hubris

hubris

Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 05:51 AM

I dunno, felt a bit too simplistic to me. I gather from this thread that combat is a pretty vital part of making an rp fun, making the combat system too simplistic runs the same risks as making it too complex (either combat isn't fun to begin with or gets boring fast). Personally I'd like more than 3 abilities, or at least abilities with differing values (values being how much they + to rolls).

Edited by hubris, 26 January 2015 - 05:52 AM.

• Raiden likes this

signature under construction

#52 RhetoricalRabbit

RhetoricalRabbit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1509 posts
  • LocationOundle

Posted 26 January 2015 - 06:12 AM

I dunno, felt a bit too simplistic to me. I gather from this thread that combat is a pretty vital part of making an rp fun, making the combat system too simplistic runs the same risks as making it too complex (either combat isn't fun to begin with or gets boring fast). Personally I'd like more than 3 abilities, or at least abilities with differing values (values being how much they + to rolls).

Depends on the RP / setting really.

For OP I imagine it'd be one of the major draws though yes.

#53 Sanji

Sanji

Mr. Prince

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12559 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 06:45 AM

The values could be changed to be different, like + 1, + 2 and + 3 instead of + 2 for each special ability. Maybe also change the "number of charges" for each to 5 of + 1, 3 of + 2 and only one or at most two of + 3, so that your ultimate special ability feels more like a real trump card. The way i see it, you should think of these special abilities more like of "modes". Like Luffy G2/G3, Sanji DJ. Your character can have other skills/abilities that you use to describe your battle depending on your rolls without modifiers. Would the RP be all about combat though ? I think we shouldn't just move from one combat scenario to another and be preoccupied with adding up stats and saving skill points to take out another wave of minions. The fighs should be made excitting through description and i think the fun part would be making the most out of the hand you are dealt with.

I'm just theorizing though, i don't have any experience with RP either. :lol:

Edited by Sanji, 26 January 2015 - 06:48 AM.

• hubris likes this

xGzqj0x.gif

Official member of the Killer Kick Course Squad

#54 RhetoricalRabbit

RhetoricalRabbit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1509 posts
  • LocationOundle

Posted 26 January 2015 - 06:49 AM

Consider how and whom by those rolls will be made each time, especially in PvP. 

There are quite a few diceless systems. It wouldn't be that hard to make one that players can manage themselves without the need of a GM to moderate fights.

#55 Shin

Shin

Ultimate Survivor

• Moderators
  • 1429 posts
  • LocationUnder a bridge

Posted 26 January 2015 - 06:55 AM

After thinking about it some more I might scrap the combat and ability system and go with a different approach. Since it would make things a lot easier. Although I do have a D20 rolling system too that I can show everyone. It's a bit more traditional.

Spoiler D20 Combat System

I also have this system that doesn't involve any dice rolling, keeping track of health or ability points. It is based around giving your character "Traits" that will explain how your character will work in the RP and keep players from thinking their character can do more than they actually can.

Spoiler Trait System

@Fulmine

Yeah, in that case normal abilities wouldn't stack with other normal abilities.

• Fulmine likes this

#56 RhetoricalRabbit

RhetoricalRabbit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1509 posts
  • LocationOundle

Posted 26 January 2015 - 07:41 AM

You are attached to your five levels aren't you? :P

Your trait system sounds like it'd be more ... feasible than having to roll dice if you're wanting this open to any and all.

From a personal stance - as in what I'd do if I was arranging this, rather than what I suggested earlier to meet what you'd described - I've had strong success with trait / skill-based systems.

It was for a Deathtrap Dungeon / D&D-esque type RP. Players picked a race, a vocation, a talent and so on, and each had specific bonuses and abilities.

I wrote the combat for each player, but the specification of skills and the nuances of their character development allowed me to battle to their limits if required.

Essentially my advice / how I'd run it is to have players create a character. Outlay their basic powers. Then spend time thinking of how those powers can be applied in ingenious or combatative ways. 

I based them off of stats and other customisable scales but to keep things simple you can avoid that and just have named techniques - across 5 levels of tier :P

#57 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19158 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:03 PM

I like the D20 Combat system. But if you allow Normal and Special, I think 2 each are enough. So 4 in total.

And how are we gonna roll dice?

#58 Shin

Shin

Ultimate Survivor

• Moderators
  • 1429 posts
  • LocationUnder a bridge

Posted 26 January 2015 - 07:17 PM

Thinking about it more I really like incorporating the Trait idea, since it is easy and sort of forces you to imagine just how your character would work, interact with other, how they would fight, and what kind of situations they would be good or bad in. I might rework my D20 system some. I have a few ideas that would make it more flexible.

Also I think I am going to do away with the ability point system. So your character can have as many abilities as you want, but I might add a "Special/Finish Ability" on the Character Sheet just to give you a chance to describe your best abilities, like a Gear 2, Gear 3, 1080 Pound Cannon, or Diable Jambe.

Also I know that since we are having the story set in the current OP universe that many of the "good" fruits and abilities are taken. So to make things a little easier I am only going to consider things from the manga canon. So things in anime filler are optional. If a filler character has something you want you can take it, but also if you want to use a filler character, or filler story, for something for your character that is fine as well.

@RhetoricalRabbit

Yeah, I like the levels since it will make my job as the GM a lot easier, lol. Everyone is working off of the same thing and I wouldn't have to craft individual stats for every encounter. Though it does have its downside as it forced everything to be in 5 set categories.

@Fulmine

If we are going to have dice rolling I'd hope that every player can keep track of their own roles themselves and be honest about what they get. You can google dice rolling and you will find several sites that you can use to roll dice for you.

#59 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19158 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 11:59 PM

every player can keep track of their own roles themselves and be honest about what they get. You can google dice rolling and you will find several sites that you can use to roll dice for you.

That's actually what I want to ask. I know about dice-rolling sites. Maybe you do it for us? (unless you get attached to certain characters xD)

#60 RhetoricalRabbit

RhetoricalRabbit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1509 posts
  • LocationOundle

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:25 AM

That's actually what I want to ask. I know about dice-rolling sites. Maybe you do it for us? (unless you get attached to certain characters xD)

I linked a site that will email all the rolls made up above.

Or you can go to a forum which allows you to have rolls set into the page.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users