#1 Sanji

Sanji

Mr. Prince

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12559 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:07 PM

29z5vno.jpg

Welcome Toriko lovers !  Your well honed predatory instincts led you to the right place ! As the name of the thread and the above image vaguely suggest, you can use this thread to put forth ideas that will help us improve our lovely Toriko Subforum. Do you have this amazing idea for an awesome new thread and want to see what others would think about it ? Maybe you don't have it quite all figured out yet and need some help with the finishing touches ? Do you think it would be better if we modify an existing thread in some way, merge two or more threads, or something else so surprising that i can't even think of on the spot ? Well then, have at it ! Let's see your suggestions and try to make the best of them together.

Edited by Sanji, 26 January 2015 - 12:11 PM.

• Greg, hubris and Tale like this

xGzqj0x.gif

Official member of the Killer Kick Course Squad

#2 ddboy102

ddboy102

Less Beautiful than DEW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6146 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 01:41 PM

Maybe a relationship thread. :shrug:

also a thread where we talk about how perfect Coco is

The wedding is back on, Go here to RSVP Here

PS Chillman isn't allowed to RSVP he has to sit in the back.

tumblr_ofiqs3LgoT1ttuk3wo8_400.gif

#3 Sanji

Sanji

Mr. Prince

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12559 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:33 AM

Maybe a relationship thread. :shrug:

also a thread where we talk about how perfect Coco is

Who do you ship Coco with ? :lol:

That seems like a pretty safe thread to open so i think it's fine to go for it if you want to. :^_^:

I was thinking of making a "Chapter Rating" thread. I could open a poll after every chapter is released and allow voting to go on for each chapter, for one or two weeks. I think we should go for something simple, like one to five stars, but i'm also considering a 1 to 10 option if you guys think it would be better. Google gave me this site as the first option for poll making, so i made an account and here's how the post for each chapter would look like for the most part :

Spoiler

With me editing the post for each Chapter and adding the final results after the 1-2 weeks have passed.

By the way, the poll in the spoiler is functional, so you guys can do some experimental voting if you want for the current chapter. :^_^:

Edited by Sanji, 27 January 2015 - 07:20 AM.

• hubris likes this

xGzqj0x.gif

#4 hubris

hubris

Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 07:27 AM

you are a ms paint wizard, Sanji. Thread looks great, thanks for putting it up.
I might ask Greg to pin it later, maybe, not sure its necessary :/ it'd look nice tho

Dumping all the quotes about a battle thread for now, i'll do something with them tomorrow, too tired right now to think how we could make a battle thread work 

Here's a question, would you guys be enticed by the prospect of a Strength/Battle Scenarios discussion thread ? A place to discuss the strength of Toriko characters and theorise how they compare with each other or characters from other series in whatever random scenarios we can think of ? Stuff like who's the strongest Eight King; who's the strongest HK; the strongest human that's not a HK, Bishokukai or part of Neo; strongest member of Neo that's not Joa, etc. Or random battle scenarios within the verse such as the HK vs Bishokukai without Midora or the Bishokukai as a group vs Bambina; Four Beasts vs Buranchi, etc. Or whatever scenario involving Toriko chacters vs characters from different series, like the HK vs The Akatsuki; Zebra vs Whitebeard; Regal Mammoth vs OP Weakling Trio, Zonge vs Sakura, Gaoh ( Four Beasts limb ) vs Youpi ( H x H ). Whatever you can think of. I wonder how much activity such a thread would get and how interested people would be in it. I know we have the Battle Dome thing, but that's a bit more formal and people might feel intimidated by the idea of opening a thread to propose a random match-up that others might not be interested in.

Its do able but you'd have to restrict Toriko characters.

Most of the series capable of giving them good fights aren't read by a lot of people on this site.

Well it wouldn't really be a place to settle debates but more so to bring forth power related discussions within verse ,or when compared to other series in scenarios that are interesting/fun due to the match-ups or the conditions set to in order to make them fun.

@Sanji Like you said, we have a subforum for crossover-fights, so I think those should go there for consistency, but in-universe... sure, why not.

a Strength/Battle Scenarios discussion thread might draw discussion away from the other threads. What will we talk about in the 8kings/ 4hk threads?

I agree with both of your points and i did consider them as well, that's why i wanted to see more opinions on the matter. Just in universe might be a bit too limited and could draw away some potential discussion from certain threads like Hubris said. If we go for vs with other series as well, there's already a section for that like Oben said and consistency would call for us to take any such potential ideas there. Partial counterarguments to this points, that don't really take away from the validity of your statements though but are worth consideration, come with the fact that having a single thread that allows and promotes such discussion might get the Toriko readers interested in the idea and also make them less "fearful" with throwing in their ideas, since unlike in the dedicated battle thing section you wouldn't have to open threads that might sit there deserted with no one interested in them. You can just make random attempts and join random discussions easily. Serious, outrageous, hilarious one's, with those that pique the interest of everyone else further expanding and the ones that are less succesful feeling like less of a failure from your part and less of a discouraging factors in terms of making other attempts.

• Sanji likes this

signature under construction

#5 Oben

Oben

Sixpack

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11308 posts

User's Awards

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:16 AM

I don't really think we need a poll for every week.

What's more, what threads are actually missing in the GD?

I was thinking the Bishokukai and the IGO/Biotope 0, then we've pretty covered much every character-alignment.

• Sanji likes this

#6 Lone_ant

Lone_ant

Shinninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6703 posts
  • LocationWhere I am

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:22 AM

General Ingredients thread? Like... I want to see what everyone's full course is and what they think things taste like (say, the century soup?)
  • Sanji likes this

#7 Oben

Oben

Sixpack

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11308 posts

User's Awards

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:31 AM

General Ingredients thread? Like... I want to see what everyone's full course is and what they think things taste like (say, the century soup?)

[Discussion] Food/Ingredients

?

#8 Sanji

Sanji

Mr. Prince

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12559 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:34 AM

I don't really think we need a poll for every week.

What's more, what threads are actually missing in the GD?

I was thinking the Bishokukai and the IGO/Biotope 0, then we've pretty covered much every character-alignment.

I think it would be a nice way to measure the initial level of excitement produced by each chapter, and we could also use the compiled data at the end of the year by having the highest 10 rated chapters compete against each other in a final poll of 2015 to decide which was the best. This is one of the reasons i was considering allowing for 1 to 10 rating in order to get more accurate results, but we might be fine with a five star system as well. It takes me only a bit more than a couple of minutes to set up the images + poll for each chapter and voting is done with only two clicks, so it wouldn't take much effort to make it work. It could also work as a tool to measure the Toriko fanbase we got here since maybe some would be too shy to post and get involved in a discussion, but would like to share their enjoyment of the chapter through an anonymous vote. :^_^:

Edited by Sanji, 27 January 2015 - 08:35 AM.

xGzqj0x.gif

#9 Oben

Oben

Sixpack

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11308 posts

User's Awards

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:36 AM

Wouldn't it be easier to just ask everyone to put their vote in the chapter-thread? Especially since some discussion might alter your view on the chapter.

#10 Sanji

Sanji

Mr. Prince

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12559 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:46 AM

Wouldn't it be easier to just ask everyone to put their vote in the chapter-thread? Especially since some discussion might alter your view on the chapter.

That's why i was considering leaving each poll open for two weeks, so that you don't have to rush with your vote too much. I'd find it more organized to have all the polls in the same thread for anyone to look through. Also i think that based on the compiled data we should not only choose the best chapter but also give the "Zonge" award for the most fabulously awful one. :lol:

xGzqj0x.gif

#11 hubris

hubris

Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 07:23 PM

Sooo, character battle thread...

The way I see it, we have 2 options. Either a general character battle/ strength scenario thread; which would basically be for discussing anything and everything character strength related.

Or a VS thread, akin to what the OM BattleArena has going. Call the thread the Toriko Battle Arena (or Monkey Festival?), and every month (fortnight?) we debate a new character VS scenario.

We could do that by having a poll up the top of the thread which would give a few options for the next match up, the matchup that wins the poll is edited into the original post, right up the top in big bold letters (something like... This Month's Match: x VS y). Then we debate the match up and edit new match ups into the poll.

I can think of a couple of pros and cons for each of these.

A general character strength thread could draw discussion away from other threads.

But an ongoing vs thread may be a bit too specific and not get the discussion it needs, plus the nature of strength in Toriko could make match-ups difficult. 

• Sanji likes this

#12 Sanji

Sanji

Mr. Prince

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12559 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 12:28 AM

Sooo, character battle thread...

The way I see it, we have 2 options. Either a general character battle/ strength scenario thread; which would basically be for discussing anything and everything character strength related.

Or a VS thread, akin to what the OM BattleArena has going. Call the thread the Toriko Battle Arena (or Monkey Festival?), and every month (fortnight?) we debate a new character VS scenario.

We could do that by having a poll up the top of the thread which would give a few options for the next match up, the matchup that wins the poll is edited into the original post, right up the top in big bold letters (something like... This Month's Match: x VS y). Then we debate the match up and edit new match ups into the poll.

I can think of a couple of pros and cons for each of these.

A general character strength thread could draw discussion away from other threads.

But an ongoing vs thread may be a bit too specific and not get the discussion it needs, plus the nature of strength in Toriko could make match-ups difficult. 

I was considering both options in similar formats and i agree with your pros and cons. We could also have a less restrictive "Toriko Battle Arena" where anyone can pick match-ups, and it's more about that and the ingenuity in setting up various battle scenarios in interesting ways, rather than a general level of strength discussion. Maybe we should hold off opening such a thread for now, at least until we see more interest/opinions on the matter. I'm not quite sure if we should push for this yet, but i'll think about it some more. :^_^:

xGzqj0x.gif

#13 hubris

hubris

Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 01:43 AM

I was considering both options in similar formats and i agree with your pros and cons. We could also have a less restrictive "Toriko Battle Arena" where anyone can pick match-ups, and it's more about that and the ingenuity in setting up various battle scenarios in interesting ways, rather than a general level of strength discussion. Maybe we should hold off opening such a thread for now, at least until we see more interest/opinions on the matter. I'm not quite sure if we should push for this yet, but i'll think about it some more. :^_^:

Mmm I have no plans to make the battle thread just yet, the idea needs developing, and I'm not sure the sub has the activity to sustain it just yet. 

What would the "less restrictive" battle thread look like? Just a general battle thread, with users discussing matchup as they are brought up?

#14 Sanji

Sanji

Mr. Prince

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12559 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 02:24 AM

Mmm I have no plans to make the battle thread just yet, the idea needs developing, and I'm not sure the sub has the activity to sustain it just yet. 

What would the "less restrictive" battle thread look like? Just a general battle thread, with users discussing matchup as they are brought up?

Pretty much, so it doesn't lead to stagnation due to the potential choice of match-ups that prove to be less popular or that quickly burn out in terms of how much discussion they can produce. A few rules should still be set for the posts that propose match-ups in terms of format. Something like

Character version : e.g. Cooking Festival Arc Zebra vs Tengu Buranchi

Conditions : They start at 100 m from each other and are restricted to a 1km area of unbreakable Ice.

Restrictions : Zebra can't use his "Death Sound"

Knowledge : As much as they know about each other in the manga.

Mindset : Intention to kill.

Victory condition : Fight to the death.

Edited by Sanji, 01 February 2015 - 02:25 AM.

xGzqj0x.gif

#15 hubris

hubris

Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 07:21 AM

^ Looks good, and yeah a less rigid battle thread is the way to go. it raises a few questions, though

I assume that as a rule there shouldn't be more than one match up going at once? To keep some sense of order.

when is it fair game to make a new proposal? Once discussion for the previous match up has well and truly stopped and/or when the match up has been resolved/ won?

how would everyone decide on a proposal? Everyone who wants a match up posts a proposal, and the proposal with the most likes after a certain amount of time is the proposal we go with? Or maybe a discussion about the pros and cons of each proposal would be more likely to produce the best match ups. 

#16 Sanji

Sanji

Mr. Prince

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12559 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 11:34 AM

^ Looks good, and yeah a less rigid battle thread is the way to go. it raises a few questions, though

I assume that as a rule there shouldn't be more than one match up going at once? To keep some sense of order.

when is it fair game to make a new proposal? Once discussion for the previous match up has well and truly stopped and/or when the match up has been resolved/ won?

how would everyone decide on a proposal? Everyone who wants a match up posts a proposal, and the proposal with the most likes after a certain amount of time is the proposal we go with? Or maybe a discussion about the pros and cons of each proposal would be more likely to produce the best match ups. 

I wouldn't put such restrictions, even if it means it would be a bit messy and several discussions would take place at the same time. Anyone would be free to make proposal posts and the more popular ones would simply pick up momentum and develop due to their popularity. It's quite a bit chaotic but with only a handful of people being active in this forum for now i don't think it would be that much of reason for concern.

Edited by Sanji, 01 February 2015 - 11:35 AM.

• hubris likes this

xGzqj0x.gif

#17 Oben

Oben

Sixpack

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11308 posts

User's Awards

Posted 02 February 2015 - 09:42 AM

He's not one of the HK but i guess it would make perfect sense to have a thread for the Chefs of Toriko, where he would belong as well ?

Do we really need a chef-thread? Practically every important chef is affilated with one of the factions we already have threads for (Komatsu → 4HK, Zaus, Apollo and Joa → NEO, Taste Hermits → Nitro, Setsuno and Nono → IGO) and so on, I don't think a Chef-thread is really needed...

I'd personally turn the 4HK thread into 4HK + Komatsu, and additionally an IGO and maybe a General Cooking/Ingredients thread.
The latter could also include chefs that are not affilated.

#18 Sanji

Sanji

Mr. Prince

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12559 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 09:55 AM

Do we really need a chef-thread? Practically every important chef is affilated with one of the factions we already have threads for (Komatsu → 4HK, Zaus, Apollo and Joa → NEO, Taste Hermits → Nitro, Setsuno and Nono → IGO) and so on, I don't think a Chef-thread is really needed...

I'd personally turn the 4HK thread into 4HK + Komatsu, and additionally an IGO and maybe a General Cooking/Ingredients thread.
The latter could also include chefs that are not affilated.

I guess we could have a Chefs/ General Cooking and Ingredients combo thread ? Since we could also talk about special preparation techniques, stuff like "God Cooking", the influence food luck has on one's cooking skills. Like we know Starjun also has cooking skills but was complaining about lacking food luck and thus needing Ootake. We can also talk about the rivalry thing between Komatsu/Ootake and potentially Ume as well.

xGzqj0x.gif

#19 Oben

Oben

Sixpack

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11308 posts

User's Awards

Posted 02 February 2015 - 09:58 AM

I guess we could have a Chefs/ General Cooking and Ingredients combo thread ? Since we could also talk about special preparation techniques, stuff like "God Cooking", the influence food luck has on one's cooking skills. Like we know Starjun also has cooking skills but was complaining about lacking food luck and thus needing Ootake. We can also talk about the rivalry thing between Komatsu/Ootake and potentially Ume as well.

Well, I like the idea.

#20 Sanji

Sanji

Mr. Prince

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12559 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 11:19 AM

Well, I like the idea.

Alright, here's what i got :

Thread Name : Cooking Festival - Cooking, Chefs and Ingredients Discussion Thread

Opening post :

Spoiler

Is it fine like this ? Does it need any changes ?

Edited by Sanji, 02 February 2015 - 11:19 AM.

xGzqj0x.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users