• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 01:40 AM

Beck

Batoto | MU

5b392978855b45e47119dcbf46d32be2.jpg

Synopsis:
For the first 14 years of his life, Yukio Tanaka has been one heck of a boring guy. He has no hobbies, weak taste in music, and only a small vestige of a personality. He yearns for an exciting life, but his shy, and somewhat neurotic personality makes him his own worst enemy. Little does he know that his life will be forever changed when he meets Ryusuke Minami, a wild and unpredictable 16-year old fresh from America, who happens to be in a rock-and-roll band named after his Frankenstein-like patched dog--Beck.

(Source: Tokyopop)

Why You Should Read This:
Before the K-ON rocked the world with moe, Seo Kouji came cruising in with his truck, the coolest band in the animanga world was the Mongolian Chop Squad, the main rock band of this excellent coming-of-age story, Beck. The manga may not appeal to everyone, but with a likable cast and well-paced story, it offers a very unique taste to the table. From beginning to end, it is a coming-of-age story of your average-joe Yukio, rising up to become a top-class singer with the help and support of his friends. What this manga does really well is the way it allocates its panels and displays sets of very powerful images, especially while the protagonists are performing on stage. It proves that you don't have need great music to get the feeling that you are listening to great music :)

Edited by ruggia, 05 February 2015 - 06:27 PM.

• DaEvilWithin, Fulmine and Tale like this

#2 ShinmenTakezo

ShinmenTakezo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6224 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 09:39 AM

Lol, that´s one of the titles i wanted to present

qhz8b56l.png

#3 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

What You Need

• Moderators
  • 12593 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 05 February 2015 - 09:52 AM

This is one of the few manga that I've heard great things about, but never tried. To the reading list it goes.

• Tale likes this

#4 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19033 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 10:51 AM

This is one of the few manga that I've heard great things about, but never tried. To the reading list it goes.

And where is it on the list? 7897866th? :xD:

Spoiler Favorite battle shounen's male characters

#5 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

What You Need

• Moderators
  • 12593 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 05 February 2015 - 10:52 AM

And where is it on the list? 7897866th? :xD:

Fifth? I don't have that much of a backlog. Still, there are books I have to read first.

#6 ShinmenTakezo

ShinmenTakezo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6224 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 02:15 PM

Recently reread it, still a 10/10 for me

qhz8b56l.png

#7 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19033 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 11:06 AM

Recently reread it, still a 10/10 for me

Did the professors ever catch you in lecture and scold you? I swear you always reread manga that has like 30+ volumes...just how fast you can read...

Spoiler Favorite battle shounen's male characters

#8 ShinmenTakezo

ShinmenTakezo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6224 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 11:55 AM

Did the professors ever catch you in lecture and scold you? I swear you always reread manga that has like 30+ volumes...just how fast you can read...

Took one week i think

qhz8b56l.png

#9 GintaMan

GintaMan

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1142 posts
  • LocationSniper Island

Posted 12 November 2015 - 02:17 PM

Great manga. Loved all the references to music icons, especially Chiba being similar to Zach Dela Rocha.

"To have a dream is to struggle with reality."

Have a taste of my pIMP Slap!

tiM4Zrr.gif

"The Old Man of the North"

http://38.media.tumb...EcNV1r1vglf.gif

Chairman Emeritus, OMF Butt Stuff Appreciation Association

Almighty Bishop of the Church of Escanor, Gawd of the Sun

#10 ShinmenTakezo

ShinmenTakezo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6224 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 09:55 PM

Great manga. Loved all the references to music icons, especially Chiba being similar to Zach Dela Rocha.

Yep, Ryuusuke is supposed to be Jimmy Page, Taira is Flea from RHCP, no idea about Sakurai though.

qhz8b56l.png

#11 Kilgore_troute

Kilgore_troute

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • LocationTralfmadore, but sometimes Gallifrey

Posted 17 April 2017 - 07:39 PM

So was rereading this again recently and noticed something cool. When Koyuki reunited with Maho in England the author makes a point to mention that the dartford train platform was the same one that Keith Richards and Mick Jagger reunited on when they were in high school which lead to the formation of The Rolling Stones. But here's what Harold Sakuishi put in, but didn't draw attention to: Earlier in the day Koyuki and Saku were out shopping for records for Saitou and they found two (and only two) for him, Rockin at the Hops by Chuck Berry and The Best of Muddy Waters. And it just so happens that those were in fact the exact same records Jagger was holding the day he ran into Richards on that platform.

Edited by Kilgore_troute, 19 April 2017 - 07:37 AM.

• ShinmenTakezo likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users