36 replies to this topic

#1 Zaev

Zaev

Live Love and Lie

• Chatbox Moderators
  • 297 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 09 February 2015 - 09:19 AM

Myself and a few others would be interested in having a game of D&D 5th edition on the forum, it's still very much in the rough idea phase, I'd like to know if anyone would be interested in joining. I personally have the 3 5th edition books. As to the game itself it'd be run with D&D rules which would obviously be flexible to the DM's liking, you'd be required to in some way shape or form get at the bare minimum access to the rules or the players handbook (see below for more details).

If you're interested please say so, and add in if you're willing to be DM or just player. Also please say what you have access to. 

I suppose I should warn in advance that D&D is typically played with a smallish group, if this should get a lot of interest that we may have to pick and choose based on availability or access to needed supplies, over all level of interest in playing, however if you're interested, and not picked right away this is a game that can be brought back as many times as desired by players and new people can be brought in, or if there is enough interest we can maybe run two campaigns. But it seems silly to worry too much about it until I measure the level of interest. 

As for what you'd need access to as of right now (and this can be an ever changing list as it goes through the rough draft phase and into the actual finished project)

5th Edition: Players handbook- You can buy this just about anywhere books are sold, I saw at least one torrent that had it though I won't link it here, and there are basic rules on Wizards of the coast's website (these are the very basic rules and you'd have less access to information which could slow the game down and other players.)

If you would want to be the DM You'd need 5th editions Dungeons Master guide, and you'd likely want the Monsters Manual. (once again bought in any book store and if you really care to go down the torrent route you can probably get them in a PDF form)

Player Character sheets these can be gotten from Wizards of the Coast's website.

I've been tinkering with the idea of using Google drive and looking into other options to help with world map building and dungeon building, as well as just making everything a bit more accessible, but I'm still fairly new with those functions and haven't messed around with them enough yet to know how they'd work into the game. But it's something to consider.

I should also mention that I'd much rather be a player than the DM but if no one else wanted to be the DM I would do it. Should I not be the DM however I'd be very willing to assist whoever wanted to DM as far as it wasn't something that would compromise the game itself. (I don't want spoilers in other words)  

• Raiden likes this

#2 Animaniac

Animaniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • LocationAbsurdistan

Posted 09 February 2015 - 11:25 AM

Where would you play it? Here, in the corner or on skype or something similar? 

If we don't know what we're doing enemy certainly can't anticipate our future actions.

#3 mantisstalker

mantisstalker

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts
  • LocationDessert Bluffs

User's Awards

Posted 09 February 2015 - 11:27 AM

I'm currently in two Pathfinder games, and tried World of Darkness, D&D 3.5, and Iron Kingdoms. 

By what I've heard 5th ed is easier on beginners, but generally people prefer 3.5. Actually both of my DM's dislike it, and others  I spoke with are either very pro 3.5 or 4th ed.

However I'd be happy to try it myself and maybe help others if what I know about other games means all too much. I don't want to pick up any heavy text stuff again though, as it's tiring to write :I

Edited by mantisstalker, 09 February 2015 - 11:27 AM.

xwj6hphfvwez_zps37695cdc.png

Manty is a being of Chaos afterall. It was only natural he'd confuse you.

#4 Zaev

Zaev

Live Love and Lie

• Chatbox Moderators
  • 297 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 09 February 2015 - 12:56 PM

Here on the corner, however there might be parts of it off the site if I figure out the Google Drive thing or something along those lines, and decide those will help with maps, if they are over complicated probably won't use that, also depends on who is the DM in the end as I've said I'd probably rather not be the DM but I can do it if need be.  

#5 Raiden

Raiden

World Champion :3

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1666 posts
  • LocationAt the Top of the Football World

Posted 09 February 2015 - 01:16 PM

I would be interested as player^^

President and Founder of the Roronoa Zoro Fanclub

Zoro_02.png

Spoiler

#6 Animaniac

Animaniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • LocationAbsurdistan

Posted 09 February 2015 - 01:36 PM

I'm unfamiliar with 5ed so I don't want to DM it, but I'd play it. 

If we don't know what we're doing enemy certainly can't anticipate our future actions.

#7 Petite Fleur

Petite Fleur

~ Spider Lady - Kiri's Wife ~ Professional Cuddle Bug

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11888 posts

User's Awards

Posted 09 February 2015 - 08:24 PM

I'd be interested!

Never played 5th edition though.

2mGKRJi.png
▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂

Spoiler Quotes

#8 number21

number21

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationWhy don't you find me?

Posted 09 February 2015 - 09:41 PM

I'm interested in playing.

Not sure if I want to buy the book though. o.o

#9 mantisstalker

mantisstalker

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts
  • LocationDessert Bluffs

User's Awards

Posted 09 February 2015 - 11:28 PM

I'm interested in playing.

Not sure if I want to buy the book though. o.o

Hmm, WOTC might allow you to download it for free. I know you can get 3e and Pathfinder books for free off the publisher.

#10 Animaniac

Animaniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • LocationAbsurdistan

Posted 10 February 2015 - 06:20 AM

(you can also always get that booty like a true pirate, yarr)

• Raiden likes this

#11 mantisstalker

mantisstalker

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts
  • LocationDessert Bluffs

User's Awards

Posted 11 February 2015 - 05:56 AM

Or that, though I'm still unsure if we can actually promote the action.

#12 Animaniac

Animaniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • LocationAbsurdistan

Posted 11 February 2015 - 03:28 PM

I didn't have problems before (I actually had a link to a pirated copy of Vampire: The Masquerade rulebook in my OOC in old OMF when I made VtM RP).

Though I guess it depends on Mods :D

#13 mantisstalker

mantisstalker

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts
  • LocationDessert Bluffs

User's Awards

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:37 PM

Fair enough x3

#14 Zaev

Zaev

Live Love and Lie

• Chatbox Moderators
  • 297 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 12 February 2015 - 07:44 PM

Okay just to give you guys an update, I'm going to give it until probably next Mon-Tue for people to sign up, sometime in the middle or end of the week I want to start working on characters with people, I'm probably going to want to work with everyone individually through PM's so if you guys want to get a head start kinda tell me where you want to go with your characters some background, goals and such we'll work on stats later. If you think you'll need help just hold tight and wait for me or if you want to talk with your fellow players I'm sure someone or most of them will be willing to help. 

I am a big sports fan so I'm probably going to be watching a lot of the All Star weekend stuff this weekend, and I have to at some point in the near future (probably Mon-Tue) work on my character for Shins OP RP. I'm also a bit of a procrastinator. >.> So if I take to long just start yelling at me to get things done, but for the time being that's where my time table is at in terms of the RP next week we work on the characters, once we get those done we'll be pretty close to ready to go I might need a week at most before we actually start. 

I should also warn a bit that this is going to be a bit new to me doing this online so there might be some issues and experimenting with how the game runs once we get it going, so try and bare with me if we hit some snags along the road. Hopefully this is something that can be done more than just one game and will iron itself out as we go. 

#15 Raiden

Raiden

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1666 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 08:59 AM

Well I can already tell you that I will be a Dwarf and a warrior of some sort, probably a tank^^ the rest we can work out together :3

Zoro_02.png

Spoiler

#16 mantisstalker

mantisstalker

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts
  • LocationDessert Bluffs

User's Awards

Posted 13 February 2015 - 11:08 AM

I'll play, probably a paladin. Maybe a cleric.

If too many people want to join I'll let someone take my place.

#17 Animaniac

Animaniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • LocationAbsurdistan

Posted 13 February 2015 - 06:46 PM

I'll have to give PH a glance first to see what's available. 

#18 number21

number21

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 02:52 PM

I'm not finding anywhere I can get the book. :<

Edited by number21, 18 February 2015 - 02:52 PM.

#19 Raiden

Raiden

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1666 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 03:08 PM

I'm not finding anywhere I can get the book. :<

well the basic rules you find here: http://media.wizards...DBasicRules.pdf

but I haven't found the core rules yet for 5th edition. And in the basic rules there are only 4 classes what is a bit too few for my taste... :/

Zoro_02.png

Spoiler

#20 number21

number21

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 03:45 PM

Thanks man.