#1 Relinquisher

Relinquisher

Tsundere

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,627 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 10 February 2015 - 11:48 PM

Hello Everyone, I'm going to be trying to restart this area of the forum and try and get some new and interesting battles going. 

Now then to the first of such battles i present the One Manga Battle Contest

How this contest will work is as follows:

- The first battle will be selected by Me and my judges. In the battles proceeding that the judges will select a winning side like the previous battles. They will also select an MVP, which can come from either side, who we felt was the better debater in the battle. This MVP will receive an award(pending) and have the opportunity to select the next battle.

- We will work with the MVP to select the next battle. In the interest of keeping the battles open to many people it will be restricted to manga in the Big 3 & Semi-Pro sections (with other manga being included depending). This means battles from: Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Toriko, Attack on Titan, Hunter x Hunter, Tower of God, Kubera, Nobleese and Nanatsu no Taizai. 

- After the first week and people have suggested things we will use battles suggested here as a way to give the MVP ideas about what they want to do if they don't have any in mind. Also if they cannot pick one or are unavailable we will have a poll here with some of the judges favorite suggestions and the winner will get made into the new Battle Contest.

- Once a battle is selected with the approval of the judges that battle will go up and the MVP will become a judge included in selecting the winning side, writing up a judgement, and selecting the new MVP, as such a MVP cannot win 2 weeks in a row. Also all judges are allowed to participate in the debate as they see fit, since it will be collective choice we will keep out any bias from participating.

- A rule we are going to start with will be no crossover battles. It brings un-needed complication to the battles and takes away from people's understanding and will just further limit debate. As this Battle Contest goes on we might lift this rule.

- Including the above the Battle Contests will take place like any normal OMBR tournament round. There will be two characters fighting to the death in a small arena, there will be no specified location, just a clear and small battlefield (ala the Hyperbolic Time Chamber). There might be minimal restrictions depending on what is selected, but we are trying to have as few as possible and trying to find match ups that are close on their own merit.

- At the start the judges will be: @Relinquisher, @DaEvilWithin, and @Tale. If you would like to be considered as a replacement you can say so here. If any of us are unavailable or don't know enough about a certain battle we will try and sub out with someone to keep the contest going consistently. 

If you have any questions or suggestions put them in this thread instead of the general suggestions thread. Also please suggest any individual battles you would want to be used with any of the series listed. If you want a particular series to be included on the list of included manga suggest it here, ill add a poll if something gets enough support.

• Fulmine, Abu Dun, Sloan and 2 others like this

[Check out the Battle Contest] [] Battle Contest #5: Aokiji VS Fujitora

treeBW.png

Made by Relinquisher 

Spoiler Very Strange Quotes from OMF

#2 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,505 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 05:26 AM

The judge panel looks great.

Toriko is too strong but that is easy to solve by restricting to ''pre-chapter150 Toriko'' or something but AoT is damn weak...how are you going to...?

And...@Relinquisher , what do you mean ''Big3 and Semi-pro. This means battles from: Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Toriko, Attack on Titan, Hunter x Hunter, Tower of God, Kubera, Nobleese and Nanatsu no Taizai''?

You want to be showered in boobs or something? Mashima won't forgive you...

Also all judges are allowed to participate in the debate as they see fit, since it will be collective choice we will keep out any bias from participating.

I don't really understand?

And I would suggest NnT being integrated into another manga match-up selection (I would pick One Piece) since only a few characters have enough feats to debate so maybe put them in there is more fun plus NnT's universe does not have complicated rules in cross-over like Bleach's LOLReiatsu so we don't really waste time arguing those things.

Spoiler Favorite male characters in manga/hwa/hua

#3 Relinquisher

Relinquisher

Tsundere

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,627 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 11 February 2015 - 05:56 AM

Toriko is too strong but that is easy to solve by restricting to ''pre-chapter150 Toriko'' or something but AoT is damn weak...how are you going to...?

I dont read toriko so i couldnt say xD DEW and Tale would be the ones to talk to.

AoT is not one i see really happening, but it is possible, there are certain match ups that could feasibly work.

You want to be showered in boobs or something? Mashima won't forgive you...

I consider FT and HSDK (even though i think this just gotten taken out of semi-pro) too extreme. I think they never really had very consistent power levels and half way through the series or so both went to a place where fights became fate driven instead of anything resembling a power system. While something like naruto in part 1 is something i could work with since i think at that point its very consistent and could be used.

But again im up for feedback, if someone argues that one of those dont work or a one i didnt list does strongly enough ill consider changing it.

I don't really understand?

Tale, Dew, and myself can participate in the debates and even win MVP, but obviously that person cannot vote for themselves, so it has to be overwhelmingly clear between the other 2/3 of us that they were the best, meaning we will try to eliminate as much bias as possible, Tale and DEW wont just vote for each other cuze they are in love~ thats why im here.

Bottom line is all judges can win, just not 2 weeks in a row, and it will be objective to see who deserves MVP, none of us are gonna try and say we deserve MVP.

And I would suggest NnT being integrated into another manga match-up selection (I would pick One Piece) since only a few characters have enough feats to debate so maybe put them in there is more fun plus NnT's universe does not have complicated rules in cross-over like Bleach's LOLReiatsu so we don't really waste time arguing those things.

The nice thing about this contest is you only need to figure out one match up that works for it to be included. 

treeBW.png

Made by Relinquisher 

#4 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,505 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 06:20 AM

The nice thing about this contest is you only need to figure out one match up that works for it to be included.

I know but what I mean is it can boost diversity since Big3's in-universe interesting match-ups are kinda overdone so if there's a series that does not bring complication into cross-over type then may be we should group it with another manga so more interesting match-ups. As an available option, I mean. Of course if people still vote for One Piece-only or NnT-only match-ups then it's fine.

Tale, Dew, and myself can participate in the debates and even win MVP, but obviously that person cannot vote for themselves, so it has to be overwhelmingly clear between the other 2/3 of us that they were the best, meaning we will try to eliminate as much bias as possible

No no, I didn't mean the MVP award. That's not important. I mean the debate judging itself. How can judges participate and be not biased? I know you said ''as much as possible'', not ''completely bias-free'' but still, they would obviously judge what they argue is right...Of course, I think the same as Tale and DEW do most of the times so more teammates for me so I'm grateful :xD: but...

Tale and DEW wont just vote for each other cuze they are in love~ thats why im here.

Tale and DEW agreed like 99.9999 out of 100 times and if they participate then people know their stance and that's the end. What's the use of debating when you know the result?

• Sloan and Tale like this

#5 Tale

Tale

Kakistocrat

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,403 posts

User's Awards

3    3    2   

Posted 11 February 2015 - 08:18 AM

@Fulmine

I'm highly unlikely to debate, and I expect the same goes for DEW, for those reasons. Reli is just keeping the option open, I guess.

#6 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,505 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 08:24 AM

@Fulmine

I'm highly unlikely to debate, and I expect the same goes for DEW, for those reasons. Reli is just keeping the option open, I guess.

I see. So any ''Enel Defense'' Quick Course for Dummies? The novice me is still reluctant to go out of battle alone without you High Priest baby sitters though... :P

#7 Relinquisher

Relinquisher

Tsundere

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,627 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 11 February 2015 - 05:23 PM

I know but what I mean is it can boost diversity since Big3's in-universe interesting match-ups are kinda overdone so if there's a series that does not bring complication into cross-over type then may be we should group it with another manga so more interesting match-ups. As an available option, I mean. Of course if people still vote for One Piece-only or NnT-only match-ups then it's fine.

People will debate akainu vs WB forever, and that battle literally happened, so i dont see people not wanting to debate anytime soon xD

I was considering stuff like that for mini-tournaments way down the line, like a MC only crossover tourney or finding a couple characters from each series that line up well and making interesting battle guidelines or something, but like i said thats not something i'd be considering right away, and it would need to be a really good match up for me to be ok with it for the contest.

No no, I didn't mean the MVP award. That's not important. I mean the debate judging itself. How can judges participate and be not biased? I know you said ''as much as possible'', not ''completely bias-free'' but still, they would obviously judge what they argue is right...Of course, I think the same as Tale and DEW do most of the times so more teammates for me so I'm grateful but...

Well all people are bias, if a judge debates or not they still have an opinion from the start of who would win and why. But the judges just go based off of which side presented better arguments and which side proved their character better, which is irrelevant from if they participate or not.

We are all objective enough to be able to argue a side and then judge the two sides and how well they did and give out a winning side that might not have been the side we went for. Like Tale said, none of us really plan on participating a whole lot, but i wanted to leave the option open so they could.

Tale and DEW agreed like 99.9999 out of 100 times and if they participate then people know their stance and that's the end. What's the use of debating when you know the result?

debates are about who argued better, not which side you argue :P

Edited by Relinquisher, 11 February 2015 - 05:23 PM.

treeBW.png

Made by Relinquisher 

#8 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,505 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 01:47 AM

People will debate akainu vs WB forever, and that battle literally happened, so i dont see people not wanting to debate anytime soon xD

Yeah, same goes for MarimovsNosebleed. But more interesting match-ups as available options do not hurt is what I mean.

which is irrelevant from if they participate or not.

Huh? Not at all. If they participate, then surely they would think their argument is right and consider that ''this (my) side has superior argument because my argument is in it''. Of course, chances are the other side would provide something too good that the judges can't counter but still, it's pretty risky in terms of bias.

But well, if the 3 of you are confident enough in your objectiveness then sure. After all I have no problem regarding Tale and DEW's prowess and...will see about you, haven't seen you arguing a lot :P

#9 Relinquisher

Relinquisher

Tsundere

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,627 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 12 February 2015 - 02:20 AM

Huh? Not at all. If they participate, then surely they would think their argument is right and consider that ''this (my) side has superior argument because my argument is in it''. Of course, chances are the other side would provide something too good that the judges can't counter but still, it's pretty risky in terms of bias

Everyone has that from the offset, we all go "so and so would win because of so and so" 

The job of a judge is to look at the arguments and see who argued better, us three are all good enough to do that and so its not a stretch to keep that thinking going and have them participate as they want. Just because we might argue does not mean we think our arguments are infallible (even DEW and Tale)

After all I have no problem regarding Tale and DEW's prowess and...will see about you, haven't seen you arguing a lot

Well i dont have a god complex like them, so we shall see :3 

treeBW.png

Made by Relinquisher 

#10 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,505 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 02:28 AM

god complex

It's God Blessing!!!

• DaEvilWithin and Tale like this

#11 Abu Dun

Abu Dun

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,459 posts
  • Locationon the way to a certain Tea Party

Posted 05 March 2015 - 04:24 PM

I see. So any ''Enel Defense'' Quick Course for Dummies? The novice me is still reluctant to go out of battle alone without you High Priest baby sitters though... :P

Just give me a sign when the almighty one is contested and I shall assist you in your endeavour to slay the infidel :greg:  Although, to my humblest apologies, I may not measure up to the high priests that go by the names of Tale and DEW :unsure:

• DaEvilWithin and Fulmine like this

Official member of the Killer Kick Course SquadTM courtesy by Arsonist Joe

currently reading:

Denki-Gai no Honya-san, Gin no Saji, Dorohedoro, One Punch-Man, Nisekoi, Magi, Vinland Saga, UQ Holder!

and many more

#12 To Pass Time

To Pass Time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 10:19 AM

I'm new to this forum and I doubt I will stay around much longer (not that anyone care) but I just have some comments about these character battles. Why does everyone debate using power scaling and he did this against him instances, instead of just reading the manga? That may seem hard to understand but like say in Law vs Zoro people are actually trying to pass Zoro off as Kyros level when Zoro hasn't even broken a sweat yet, just because Law has more spot light in his own character arc? That's rediculus and I have a tough time seeing anyone actually believing that nonsense. Then Zoro can't block Law's basic DF slashes because his haki is weaker then the overrated Smoker? In the actual manga does anyone actually think Law stands a chance against Zoro? He'd just join the list of defeated swordsmen just like all the swordsmen Zoro faces and beats. Zoro is more or less the 2nd most important character with the some of the highest ambitions imo and he's a "lesser supernova" because he didn't stand beside Luffy when Law and Kidd did? 

Also in these character debates why even place Law in a fight where nobody even knows his abilities, why not just let them go up against guys that have knowledge of it in the manga? at this point I'm sure Zoro knows the bulk of what Law is capable of already. 

#13 Oben

Oben

Disneyland was an Inside Job

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,555 posts

User's Awards

Posted 13 March 2015 - 10:33 AM

I'm new to this forum and I doubt I will stay around much longer (not that anyone care) but I just have some comments about these character battles. Why does everyone debate using power scaling and he did this against him instances, instead of just reading the manga? That may seem hard to understand but like say in Law vs Zoro people are actually trying to pass Zoro off as Kyros level when Zoro hasn't even broken a sweat yet, just because Law has more spot light in his own character arc? That's rediculus and I have a tough time seeing anyone actually believing that nonsense. Then Zoro can't block Law's basic DF slashes because his haki is weaker then the overrated Smoker? In the actual manga does anyone actually think Law stands a chance against Zoro? He'd just join the list of defeated swordsmen just like all the swordsmen Zoro faces and beats. Zoro is more or less the 2nd most important character with the some of the highest ambitions imo and he's a "lesser supernova" because he didn't stand beside Luffy when Law and Kidd did? 

Also in these character debates why even place Law in a fight where nobody even knows his abilities, why not just let them go up against guys that have knowledge of it in the manga? at this point I'm sure Zoro knows the bulk of what Law is capable of already.

It's all just for fun. These special battles are hypothetical anyway and only care for combat feats that have happened up until now, not for anything else (such as plot). As such, you will get power scaling and the likes, and people will debate panel over panel. It's just the rules of the game here.

• DaEvilWithin likes this

#14 To Pass Time

To Pass Time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 10:43 AM

It's all just for fun. These special battles are hypothetical anyway and only care for combat feats that have happened up until now, not for anything else (such as plot). As such, you will get power scaling and the likes, and people will debate panel over panel. It's just the rules of the game here.

Don't see how it's fun arguing something you don't believe, it's like common sense means nothing. I'd think it's common sense as a OP reader that Zoro can likely block an attack or two against Law and Zoro is far from Kyros equal. Why not debate significance instead of who has the minuscule speed or haki advantage, etc. Anyway I'm done. 

Edited by To Pass Time, 13 March 2015 - 10:44 AM.

#15 Oben

Oben

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,555 posts

User's Awards

Posted 13 March 2015 - 10:46 AM

Don't see how it's fun arguing something you don't believe, it's like common sense means nothing. I'd think it's common sense as a OP reader that Zoro can likely block an attack or two against Law and Zoro is far from Kyros equal. Anyway I'm done.

It's been done many times, and the system works.
Imagine it like a game, chess for example - the pawns are forced to move only forward for some obscure reason, but you get used to it once you play.

#16 To Pass Time

To Pass Time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 11:55 AM

It's been done many times, and the system works.
Imagine it like a game, chess for example - the pawns are forced to move only forward for some obscure reason, but you get used to it once you play.

Thanks for the reply anyway, do you know when that match closes? I'd like to get like a post in where I actually lay out a scenario in my head instead of debating the 7th most important thing to the match-up. 

#17 Oben

Oben

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,555 posts

User's Awards

Posted 13 March 2015 - 11:59 AM

Thanks for the reply anyway, do you know when that match closes? I'd like to get like a post in where I actually lay out a scenario in my head instead of debating the 7th most important thing to the match-up.

It's in the first post of the thread:

The Battle Opens Now and closes March 16th.

#18 To Pass Time

To Pass Time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 12:25 PM

It's in the first post of the thread:

Okay thanks, I didn't read most of the thread so i didn't see it my bad. 

#19 To Pass Time

To Pass Time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 06:19 PM

Wish I could have made a post for Kaku vs Jyabura. But I don't see a way Jyabura beats Kaku, all I saw in that thread was his Tekkai was better but all he did was move with it. It's actual durability was shown to be lower then Kaku. Sanji was busting Jyabura up even with his regular kicks, Kaku was slicing buildings in half and towards the end of the fight gained a strong grasp on the use of his fruit. If you ask me Kaku was completely decimate Jyabura if they went head on and Jyabura tried to block any of his Giraffe attacks with Tekkai. Also DJ was shown to be a weaker attack then Zoro's finisher so who cares if Jyabura was able to walk however much time passed. 

#20 Abu Dun

Abu Dun

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,459 posts
  • Locationon the way to a certain Tea Party

Posted 13 March 2015 - 06:46 PM

Wish I could have made a post for Kaku vs Jyabura. But I don't see a way Jyabura beats Kaku, all I saw in that thread was his Tekkai was better but all he did was move with it. It's actual durability was shown to be lower then Kaku. Sanji was busting Jyabura up even with his regular kicks, Kaku was slicing buildings in half and towards the end of the fight gained a strong grasp on the use of his fruit. If you ask me Kaku was completely decimate Jyabura if they went head on and Jyabura tried to block any of his Giraffe attacks with Tekkai. Also DJ was shown to be a weaker attack then Zoro's finisher so who cares if Jyabura was able to walk however much time passed. 

It would have been fun to go at it with you :) Given how close the two are (in my opinion, of course), that debate could have had a lot more potential, especially with someone actually trying to earnestly defend Kaku :^_^:

Official member of the Killer Kick Course SquadTM courtesy by Arsonist Joe

currently reading:

Denki-Gai no Honya-san, Gin no Saji, Dorohedoro, One Punch-Man, Nisekoi, Magi, Vinland Saga, UQ Holder!

and many more

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users