Photo

[Manga] Vampire Juujikai (Record of the Fallen Vampire)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ruggia

ruggia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 12:45 AM

Vampire Juujikai

Batoto | MU

145329l.jpg

Synopsis:
Thousands of years ago, Vampire King Akabara "Red Rose" Strauss lost both his kingdom and his queen. Since humans were unable to kill the queen, they sealed her away, erecting thousands of fake seals so that the king would never find her true location. Despite being pursued by relentless dhampires, Akabara continues to search for his queen to this day...

Akabara's quest takes a sinister turn when an entity called the Black Swan appears. The Black Swan inhabits the body of a young human girl every 50 years, giving her the power to destroy the Vampire King and his queen. With each incarnation the Black Swan grows stronger--will the 49th Black Swan mean the end of Akabara?

Why You Should Read This:

As you might have guessed already, I am a sucker for coming-of-age stories. But since I shouldn't be forcing my tastes on to others (or maybe I should? :rolleyes: ) I decided to pick a series that is not a coming-of-age story. In fact, a series that you couldn't even call an anti-coming-of-age, and there's probably no other series that fits this description more than Record of the Fallen Vampire. Widely acclaimed for its solid plot and execution, this is a "tragic" story about the near-perfect Vampire King and the strange twist of events that revolves around him. If you want a well-crafted story revolving around a truly "perfect" hero, try this out.

(Disclaimer: I actually quite dislike this series. I much prefer Zetsuen no Tempest by the same writer, but it's not yet complete in the scanlation world so...  :shrug: )

#2 ShinmenTakezo

ShinmenTakezo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,278 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 01:12 AM

(Disclaimer: I actually quite dislike this series. I much prefer Zetsuen no Tempest by the same writer, but it's not yet complete in the scanlation world so...  :shrug: )

You are really motivating people to read it^^

qhz8b56l.png

#3 azer_moli

azer_moli

• Moderators
  • 3,137 posts
  • LocationFrance

User's Awards

Posted 18 February 2015 - 08:19 AM

I read that one years ago, and I really liked it. 

The story is very well-thought (despite some antagonists coming out of nowhere later in the series…)  and manages to surprise you all along. 

The characters were pretty great and the main ones all had an interesting backstory. It's hard to talk about Strauss without spoiling anything since there's so much going on with him, but let's say it's interesting how the MC goes on a journey to bring a catastrophe upon the world. That makes him a great anti-hero throughout the story. 

What's more, it also showed how true Walter Benjamin's words on history are, since victors make history and they don't tell everything, changing facts to their convenience. This manga proposes a sort of illustration of all those thoughts on history as a succession of lies to follow an ideology. 

However, I do agree Strauss is a bit too perfect. But he remains likable despite that because of all the mysteries surrounding him since he never says much about what happened. 

#4 Ren-san

Ren-san

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 03:42 PM

Another thread for this manga, yay!!  :P

This manga was alright during the first read through. If you like this sort of vampire manga then I would recommend Vampire Game as well. 

The characters were pretty great and the main ones all had an interesting backstory. It's hard to talk about Strauss without spoiling anything since there's so much going on with him, but let's say it's interesting how the MC goes on a journey to bring a catastrophe upon the world. That makes him a great anti-hero throughout the story. 

Isn't that the reason why we have spoiler tags for?

Anyways, I agree that this manga portrays Vampire King Strauss as a near perfect being that can overcome just about any sort of situation with little effort. If not for the desire to solve the mystery of Stella death and the Black Swan true nature, this manga isn't something that I would recommend people to read unless they have some spare time on their hands. 

However, I do agree Strauss is a bit too perfect. But he remains likable despite that because of all the mysteries surrounding him since he never says much about what happened. 

Unfortunately, the mangaka way of telling the story doesn't give the characters enough time to be developed when compared to some longer running series. 

15871545849_286028ae7d_o.jpg

#5 ruggia

ruggia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 03:59 PM

You are really motivating people to read it^^

well, it's potentially one of these three:

• It's a super advanced mind-bending business technique to make people read something by telling them not to read it.
  • the true fans of the series will come flooding in for support.
  • I'm a tsundere.

:whistle: :rolleyes:  :whistle: :rolleyes:  :whistle: :rolleyes:

though honestly, it's a good series. it's just not for me :P

Edited by ruggia, 18 February 2015 - 04:00 PM.

#6 azer_moli

azer_moli

• Moderators
  • 3,137 posts
  • LocationFrance

User's Awards

Posted 18 February 2015 - 04:31 PM

Isn't that the reason why we have spoiler tags for?

Anyways, I agree that this manga portrays Vampire King Strauss as a near perfect being that can overcome just about any sort of situation with little effort. If not for the desire to solve the mystery of Stella death and the Black Swan true nature, this manga isn't something that I would recommend people to read unless they have some spare time on their hands. 

Unfortunately, the mangaka way of telling the story doesn't give the characters enough time to be developed when compared to some longer running series. 

What's the good of spoiler tags when your post is made for people to read the series? I wanted to motivate people to read it, so it would have been utterly stupid to use spoiler or spoiler tags XD

But yeah, maybe some extra chapters could have helped… I doubt it though. It was really well-paced, and Strauss was just flawless, it was how his character had been made, that's all. But it's true most colorful characters would have been great for the series.

#7 Ren-san

Ren-san

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 05:45 PM

What's the good of spoiler tags when your post is made for people to read the series? I wanted to motivate people to read it, so it would have been utterly stupid to use spoiler or spoiler tags XD

Not everyone will see it your way.

Personally, I strongly dislike it when people use the excuse "I don't want to spoil the series for you," as such they don't mention anything interesting about said topic. Second, how is a lack of discussion in the thread going to motivate people to read the series or keep this thread from being deleted?   

I have read the series and would like to know what everyone thoughts are about the plot and the characters.

But yeah, maybe some extra chapters could have helped… I doubt it though. It was really well-paced, and Strauss was just flawless, it was how his character had been made, that's all.

I disagree.

Reading about Bridget journey of constructing a new home for the vampires while assisting the humans to fend of Strauss, could have been elaborated on with a few more chapters or light novel(s). It is during these few centuries where most of the characters could have been given some more depth (development), before the reader got to know the present day version of the characters. An example would be Renka who was already 550 years old when he was first introduced.

I remember pondering the questions: "What happened during the past 550 years?" and "Why is someone with a good nature trying to assassinate the vampire king, Strauss?"

It was the lack of hatred from the dhampirs that made the idea of killing Strauss a joke.        

Another example would be the first set of hosts for the Black Swan.

What were they like as individual characters? And how did they view the vampire king upon meeting him for the first time? 

The story explains what their decision of Strauss was at the end of their lives, but doesn't clarify if he had to earn their respect initially.

But it's true most colorful characters would have been great for the series.

One aspect that was annoying when reading the series was how the characters eventually became infatuated with Strauss after a short encounter with him. I initially held out hope that Bridget would turn out as a determined and independent female character who wouldn't be head over heels in love with Strauss. But the mangaka chose to make Bridget a love interest which didn't work out as well as the Queen of the Vampires. Though Bridget did a great job when it came to rebuilding the new home for the vampires and locating any new homeless vampires around the world, once the Kingdom of the Night fell.

Edited by Ren-san, 18 February 2015 - 05:52 PM.

15871545849_286028ae7d_o.jpg

#8 azer_moli

azer_moli

• Moderators
  • 3,137 posts
  • LocationFrance

User's Awards

Posted 19 February 2015 - 12:39 PM

@Ren-san You know, arguing about characters while I read the series in 2009 is a bit difficult.

Funnily, Bridget is the one I remember the least of. Even Laetitia left a bigger impression on me after all these years. Or maybe I'd just need to re-read part of the series to remember everything about her. 

As for what you want in extra chapters, it wouldn't have fitted in the story, it wasn't directly linked to the plot and would have felt like fillers. Sure, it would have been interesting, but we didn't actually need to know all of this. But I was very fond of the flash-backs too, so why not… 

Also, to be fair, Strauss is appealing. His mysterious and powerful nature makes him someone you stick along with, even if it's just out of curiosity at first. 

• Ren-san likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users