Photo

[Anime] Kara no Kyoukai (The Garden of Sinners)

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#21 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

What You Need

• Moderators
  • 12599 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 26 February 2015 - 12:52 PM

@Fulmine

Please do yourself a favour and torrent/download the movies.

Anime movies should never be streamed.

#22 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19163 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 02:13 PM

I thought that would be grouped in with Kara no Kyoukai page...

So you like Kalafina huh? Good man, Yuki Kajiura is what makes them shine though, she is the real goddess

Well, same goes for every composer/writer ever. Let just count the singers and Kubota is justice

@Fulmine

Please do yourself a favour and torrent/download the movies.

Anime movies should never be streamed.

Why?

Anw, IDM, DEW.

Spoiler Favorite battle shounen's male characters

#23 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

What You Need

• Moderators
  • 12599 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 26 February 2015 - 02:19 PM

Because unlike shows, anime movies can afford to have amazing animation and beautiful colours. Really miss out on atmosphere watching terrible streams.

Then again I just have high standards so YMMV.

#24 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10686 posts
  • LocationWith my Khaleesi <3333

User's Awards

Posted 26 February 2015 - 02:44 PM

Because unlike shows, anime movies can afford to have amazing animation and beautiful colours. Really miss out on atmosphere watching terrible streams.

Then again I just have high standards so YMMV.

Kissanime is top tier tyvm :shrug:

iWo0nCc.gif

Nothing will stand in our way.....I will finish what you started....I will fulfill our destiny!

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#25 ShinmenTakezo

ShinmenTakezo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6276 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 11:24 PM

Not 1080 though probably, it has to be for movies like this

qhz8b56l.png

#26 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19163 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 09:17 AM

I am indifferent to this art so maybe 1080 is not really needed.

#27 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

What You Need

• Moderators
  • 12599 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 28 February 2015 - 03:46 PM

I've watched the first two movies so far and it's... good? 

I mean I definitely get why people would call it pretentious. The characters are flat and they are often used as mouthpieces for whatever philosophy the author wanted to impart. This comes out a lot in the dialogue and especially whenever Touko opens her mouth. What is kind of eerie is despite this, the character interactions and the 'unimportant' conversations are actually very well done. They feel dangerously close to being people rather than devices. 

That said, it's only the introduction so it isn't surprising that the characters lack depth. Especially given the central conflicts of the two movies.

I have to say that I never lost interest during the movie, which is rare. I think it has a lot to do with the atmosphere (which has as much to do with the direction as the art) and the music. 

#28 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10686 posts
  • LocationWith my Khaleesi <3333

User's Awards

Posted 28 February 2015 - 03:58 PM

I mean I definitely get why people would call it pretentious. The characters are flat and they are often used as mouthpieces for whatever philosophy the author wanted to impart. This comes out a lot in the dialogue and especially whenever Touko opens her mouth. What is kind of eerie is despite this, the character interactions and the 'unimportant' conversations are actually very well done. They feel dangerously close to being people rather than devices. 

That said, it's only the introduction so it isn't surprising that the characters lack depth. Especially given the central conflicts of the two movies.

I have to say that I never lost interest during the movie, which is rare. I think it has a lot to do with the atmosphere (which has as much to do with the direction as the art) and the music. 

Movie 3, 5 (Overall best) and 7 are the best

Shit gets real in 3 so brace yourself lol

Edited by Tokoya, 28 February 2015 - 03:58 PM.

• DaEvilWithin likes this

iWo0nCc.gif

Nothing will stand in our way.....I will finish what you started....I will fulfill our destiny!

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#29 ShinmenTakezo

ShinmenTakezo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6276 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 10:21 PM

The first movie actually has a lot of taoist concepts imbedded into it without any dialogue but i agree it is very hard to discern that.

qhz8b56l.png

#30 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

What You Need

• Moderators
  • 12599 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 28 February 2015 - 10:31 PM

The first movie actually has a lot of taoist concepts imbedded into it without any dialogue but i agree it is very hard to discern that.

You mean the emptiness/naturalness stuff?

The problem is that they show that they can do subtle, but then go ahead and be explicit with a few things anyways. Usually it's to mislead the viewer, but this is more typical Type-MOON shenanigans. It has me confused.

Also I hate Mr. Nice Guy. I hope he dies.

#31 ShinmenTakezo

ShinmenTakezo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6276 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 11:04 PM

You mean the emptiness/naturalness stuff?

The problem is that they show that they can do subtle, but then go ahead and be explicit with a few things anyways. Usually it's to mislead the viewer, but this is more typical Type-MOON shenanigans. It has me confused.

Also I hate Mr. Nice Guy. I hope he dies.

That (though the initial emptiness is just a breakpoint for a taoist person), + the simplicity (everything from Shiki´s room and her clothes, even Mikiya´s clothes + the modesty principles (you can even interpret the overlooking view in that regard, meaning people have too grand aspirations that they lose their footing in their real world).

The second movie in turn tackles the paradox thing (though only on the side with Shiki´s dual personalities of male and female) but it is actually more about Mikiya´s and Shiki´s relationship than any kind of overarching message, though Mikiya embodies certain Taoist principles himself.

Besides all the taoist stuff, the first movie basically introduces the characters and their relation to each other, interestingly enough, right in the middle of their development from the past (movie 2) to the ending and the second movie provides the background pretty much.

Third movie will be a bit worse imo but 4 and 5 in turn are among the best but in the end, it is all supposed to be one body of work, not seven distinct movies.

Btw, do you mean Mikiya with Mr. Nice Guy?

• DaEvilWithin likes this

qhz8b56l.png

#32 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

What You Need

• Moderators
  • 12599 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 28 February 2015 - 11:42 PM

That (though the initial emptiness is just a breakpoint for a taoist person), + the simplicity (everything from Shiki´s room and her clothes, even Mikiya´s clothes + the modesty principles (you can even interpret the overlooking view in that regard, meaning people have too grand aspirations that they lose their footing in their real world).

The second movie in turn tackles the paradox thing (though only on the side with Shiki´s dual personalities of male and female) but it is actually more about Mikiya´s and Shiki´s relationship than any kind of overarching message, though Mikiya embodies certain Taoist principles himself.

Besides all the taoist stuff, the first movie basically introduces the characters and their relation to each other, interestingly enough, right in the middle of their development from the past (movie 2) to the ending and the second movie provides the background pretty much.
Third movie will be a bit worse imo but 4 and 5 in turn are among the best but in the end, it is all supposed to be one body of work, not seven distinct movies.

Btw, do you mean Mikiya with Mr. Nice Guy?

Ah yes. I got those (is simplicity not naturalness?) with the exception of the overlooking view. The girl (whose name I forget) didn't really have grand aspirations. Her bit seemed more existentialist than anything else (along with most of the movie). I don't know, I don't feel like Nasu really went anywhere with the concepts. They were kind of just there. I guess he'll expand on them more in later movies.

I found the second movie kind of unnecessary? The scenes in the first movie where it was just Shiki told me more about how she felt about Mikiya more than the scenes with Mikiya in the second. The second was more like 'oh so that is how they met', and not really interesting to me. But of course, that was just 'Part 1' and the second movie overall so it could be laying foundation. I'll re-judge it once I finish the whole series, but so far I'm not impressed by that movie.

Given that I love Baccano! and Durarara!, not being in chronological order is a plus. It leaves more to be discovered/inferred and it's fun to see if your guesses are right or wrong.

Yep. His actions are incomprehensible. Got halfway through the third movie before realizing the fansubs I was using were shit and am waiting for the series to download again.

#33 ShinmenTakezo

ShinmenTakezo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6276 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 12:10 AM

Ah yes. I got those (is simplicity not naturalness?) with the exception of the overlooking view. The girl (whose name I forget) didn't really have grand aspirations. Her bit seemed more existentialist than anything else (along with most of the movie). I don't know, I don't feel like Nasu really went anywhere with the concepts. They were kind of just there. I guess he'll expand on them more in later movies.

I found the second movie kind of unnecessary? The scenes in the first movie where it was just Shiki told me more about how she felt about Mikiya more than the scenes with Mikiya in the second. The second was more like 'oh so that is how they met', and not really interesting to me. But of course, that was just 'Part 1' and the second movie overall so it could be laying foundation. I'll re-judge it once I finish the whole series, but so far I'm not impressed by that movie.

Given that I love Baccano! and Durarara!, not being in chronological order is a plus. It leaves more to be discovered/inferred and it's fun to see if your guesses are right or wrong.

Yep. His actions are incomprehensible. Got halfway through the third movie before realizing the fansubs I was using were shit and am waiting for the series to download again.

Well, the way i understood is, naturalness (or rather following the natural way) is the goal in the end, the three virtues or also called treasures compassion/love, simplicity and modesty are the ways to get there.

True, aspirations might be the wrong word but basically, the outside view, something she can not attain, had occupied her eyes and thus her mind so much that she became blind to her real environment.

I think in the end, these concepts exist in the movie to contrast the girl in the hospital with Shiki, whose development and relationship with Mikiya are essential after all. I do not want to spoiler you but basically, Shiki, the girl in the hospital and two others in the upcoming movies share a similarity but beyond that, the other 3 characters work to contrast Shiki and her development.

A pity then, it´s one of my favorite and works well after the first movie which just threw us into the world and the characters, so seeing a bit of background was nice. And well yeah, it lays the foundation for the last movie, though i do not know if you will like it.

Yep, that´s one of the things i like about KnK, at times it is like a puzzle you have to piece together, both regarding the themes and the relationship between Mikiya and Shiki.

qhz8b56l.png

#34 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19163 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 12:18 AM

Simplicity is like using the simplest tools to solve an incredibly difficult Mathematical problem. Naturalness is the ONE that gives birth to everything, that you understand how everything works without attempting to solve anything. It just comes to you naturally.

#35 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19163 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 01:43 AM

Not 1080 though probably

turns out it does have 1080HD. Somehow I missed that last time I download Baccano!

#36 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19163 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 02:24 AM

It's my age-old ''bad'' habit, I read A and this B shows up and I read B and C appears and so on and my thirst of knowledge continues whenever a new link get into my sight. Now I get crazy between existentialism, nihilism and absurdism...so many overlaps...

Before this I only read Niesztche among those and know the simple definitions of the other 2 in dictionary so you know, less stuffs less work for the brain. Now I read more into them and my mind is a mess. @ShinmenTakezo you evil...

#37 ShinmenTakezo

ShinmenTakezo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6276 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 07:37 AM

The more you invest, the more you get out of it.

qhz8b56l.png

#38 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19163 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 08:37 AM

The more you invest, the more you get out of it.

Hopefully. After I tried my best to summarize, as succinct as I can, what existentialism is about, I kinda feel I might like KnK if such idea is coupled with taoism.

I don't hope that when I finish it I will say ''what a meaningless/empty experience'' LOL

#39 ShinmenTakezo

ShinmenTakezo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6276 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 11:14 AM

Hopefully. After I tried my best to summarize, as succinct as I can, what existentialism is about, I kinda feel I might like KnK if such idea is coupled with taoism.

I don't hope that when I finish it I will say ''what a meaningless/empty experience'' LOL

Well, even if you do not get it (which would be in no way something shameful, i needed at least 2 watchings to get it), i can still try to convince you of my theory and understanding.

qhz8b56l.png

#40 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19163 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 11:40 AM

Well, even if you do not get it (which would be in no way something shameful, i needed at least 2 watchings to get it), i can still try to convince you of my theory and understanding.

No no, the ''meaningless/empty'' is just me being playfully, non-seriously sarcastic on the concept of emptiness of Taoism and the ''life has no inherent meaning and we have to construct our own'' of existentialism.

I'm watching Movie 1 in 2 minutes. Can't believe I spent the last week just to read all the introductory articles on existentialism that I found (which got me bored fast so I read only 1 article a day). Next time I think the person who makes the thread should just give me one short, succinct paragraph on basic knowledge I have to know cause if you leave it to me to google, my bad habit will come up and I will probably read the whole Internet and when I start watching the anime, the fortnight is already over LOL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users