Photo

[Voting] Poetry Contest #23

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Poll: Poetry Contest #23 (13 member(s) have cast votes)

Which is the best?

1. Sloan - Design a Style~ (1 votes [7.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

2. KLGChaos - [Untitled] (1 votes [7.69%] - View)

3. Red Opus - Young Magnolias (3 votes [23.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.08%

4. Metal Heart - An Ode to Cephalopods (5 votes [38.46%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 38.46%

5. YoWid - In the Pink (2 votes [15.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

6. hubris - Lullaby (1 votes [7.69%] - View)

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Oben

Oben

Sixpack

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11307 posts

User's Awards

Posted 09 March 2015 - 05:22 AM

Welcome to the voting for Poetry Contest #23!

The theme was Freestyle, as picked by Red Opus, the winner of round #22.

The poll should-be self-explanatory. Please vote objectively, and fair.
You are not allowed to vote for yourself.

Please also post your opinions/criticism in the thread.
Previous rounds and winners can be found pinned in the Contest Forum.

Here are the entries for this round:

Spoiler Design A Style

Spoiler

Spoiler Young Magnolias

Spoiler An Ode To Cephalopods

Spoiler In The Pink

Spoiler Lullaby

You have one week to vote, until the 16th of March.
  • azer_moli and YoWid like this

#2 Metal Heart

Metal Heart

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2287 posts
  • LocationCosmere

User's Awards

Posted 09 March 2015 - 01:30 PM

Young Magnolias is amazing. It is so musical, meaning, emotion, just... I cant even finish that sentence.

Yowid you are hilarious, but minus point because Ian Gillan already used cunning linguist.

Lullaby is my second favorite, when I first read it I thought "Oh, another love poem, great...", then I read it again and I realized how witty it was.

• YoWid likes this

Thank you for taking the time to read this signature. This signature loves you.

If anyone is in the mood for some Smash Bros 3DS my friend code is 1118-0339-4355.

Spoiler I am writing stuff

#3 Red Opus

Red Opus

Ghost

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2130 posts

User's Awards

5    3   

Posted 09 March 2015 - 07:44 PM

Young Magnolias is amazing. It is so musical, meaning, emotion, just... I cant even finish that sentence.

Yowid you are hilarious, but minus point because Ian Gillan already used cunning linguist.

Lullaby is my second favorite, when I first read it I thought "Oh, another love poem, great...", then I read it again and I realized how witty it was.

Tyvm for the compliment!!! Tried really hard on it

#4 hubris

hubris

Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 11:57 PM

lol glad you liked it and got it, I was worried that it might be a bit too subtle

Edited by hubris, 10 March 2015 - 12:11 AM.

signature under construction

#5 Red Opus

Red Opus

Ghost

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2130 posts

User's Awards

5    3   

Posted 10 March 2015 - 01:40 AM

http://onemangaforum...poetry-decoded/

because sometimes the water has sharks

(because sometimes we have no idea what you are saying)

• YoWid likes this

#6 hubris

hubris

Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 05:07 AM

I'm constitutionally against explaining my poems  :P my English literature major has ruined me...

In my opinion; If I need to explain a poem in order for it to be understood, then its not a well written poem. A poem so vague that it can only be understood by its writer is just self indulgence.

However, while an unclear meaning can ruin a piece of poetry, a degree of vagueness can also add a great deal to a piece.

The best poems are open to interpretation; there is something magical about poems that say different things to different people. The poems that speak to people, really speak to people, are often those that are vague enough that the reader can (to a degree) project their own thoughts and feelings onto the piece.

A poem which concretely spells out its message loses its mystic qualities, cus the reader has no room to create their own meaning. The reader is cut out of the equation. I always feel cheated when I read a piece that is too clear in its expression, because its almost as if the writer is just lecturing me. Opposed to more open poems, where it feels like the writer and I are having a conversation.

So to me, a huge part of writing poetry is constructing a balance between clarity and obscurity. A piece of poetry should be open to interpretation, so that readers can create their own meaning. However the meaning of a poem should not be so obscure that no one can understand it.

And that kids is why you shouldn't take English literature courses at university.

• YoWid likes this

signature under construction

#7 azer_moli

azer_moli

• Moderators
  • 3084 posts
  • LocationFrance

User's Awards

Posted 10 March 2015 - 08:52 AM

So to me, a huge part of writing poetry is constructing a balance between clarity and obscurity. A piece of poetry should be open to interpretation, so that readers can create their own meaning. However the meaning of a poem should not be so obscure that no one can understand it.

Indeed. And the best is when you can find several meanings to a poem. 

/still trying to determine who to vote for. It's so hard to choose… 

50c34dd1-274c-4550-9d6d-d6edce927b63_zps

#8 Metal Heart

Metal Heart

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2287 posts
  • LocationCosmere

User's Awards

Posted 10 March 2015 - 10:08 AM

http://onemangaforum...poetry-decoded/

because sometimes the water has sharks

(because sometimes we have no idea what you are saying)

Well, sometimes the sharks are lost.
(Sometimes I have no idea what I am saying either)

@hubris I agree, completely, even without a degree in english XD Though I really enjoy doing weird stuff for weirdness sake, just to make the reader feel... weird. A lot of great things make absolutely no sense, but manage to fill you with wonder anyway, like Jabberwocky, Bohemian Rhapsody and Life On Mars and going by the votes it seems like I do something right...

Im not sure what that really had to do with anything, but I typed, it, so oh well...

• YoWid likes this

Thank you for taking the time to read this signature. This signature loves you.

If anyone is in the mood for some Smash Bros 3DS my friend code is 1118-0339-4355.

Spoiler I am writing stuff

#9 YoWid

YoWid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1585 posts

User's Awards

Posted 10 March 2015 - 07:10 PM

I agree with what @hubris explained--to an extent.

Catering to the wants of the larger audience/readers is good (and important, if you don't wanna be that starving artist), but expressing whatever needs to be expressed by yourself is even better, imo (otherwise, Picasso wouldn't put two eyes on one side of a face, no?).

There will be detractors, yes, there will be those who say that you're a pretentious hipster or a wanker or a dictator or a preacher or a lecturer; maybe not the last three because that would be awkward if you are a tenured lecturer or a seminary graduate or a head of a state.

But the art is how to be a solo wanker, first and the foremost, and then, one way or another, let (or get) the others to join in on the fun (i.e., circlejerk)--Gainax did that with End of Evangelion; Anno essentially saying fuck you to both executive meddling and the wants of their loyal viewers, but, eventually, gained huge success, what with all the shout-outs made to the show even as far to the shithole of 4chan and their angst-ridden a/. (though they finally lean more toward commercial success with the Rebuild series, which is all good)

It's a hit or miss affair; make it or break it and all that shit. But, again, that's some risk worth taken there.

That's what makes the crafting of an art a pursuit as challenging as it is fun.

That's why conviction in your craft plus the cunningness to create a cash cow out of it plus ???? equals PROFIT.

And, yes, I enjoy very much making this writing here because I can get it all out of my system and at the same time campaigning for votes on my poem--first and the foremost, however, getting it all out of my system.

A lot of great things make absolutely no sense, but manage to fill you with wonder anyway, like Jabberwocky, Bohemian Rhapsody and Life On Mars

^ This.

• hubris likes this

Spoiler Music by Gazillions

another story for another day

#10 azer_moli

azer_moli

• Moderators
  • 3084 posts
  • LocationFrance

User's Awards

Posted 14 March 2015 - 11:00 AM

"Young Magniolas" gets my vote in the end. The more I read it, the more I liked it. 

It's such an amazing work on words with sonorities (both alliterations and assonances) and echoes. It feels so witty. Magnificent writing. 

And the meaning of the poem is not lost completely behind the structure. 

It really is good. 

• YoWid and Red Opus like this

50c34dd1-274c-4550-9d6d-d6edce927b63_zps

#11 Oben

Oben

Sixpack

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11307 posts

User's Awards

Posted 16 March 2015 - 12:28 PM

Metal Heart has won the Contest!

The next round will be up once he picks a new theme!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users