• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 04:26 PM

Nerawareta Gakuen

ANN | MAL

43807l.jpg

Synopsis:
Spring marks the start of another new school year at a junior high school in Kamakura. A new transfer student, Ryoichi Kyogoku joins the 8th grade. Kyogoku has a very special proficiency in telepathy and has been ordered by his father to use this ability to scan other people's minds and take over the school.

He instantly gains popularity at school from his good looks and charisma and he sets about taking control of the school. As people begin to fall under Kyogoku's spell, he covertly manipulates his followers and pushes aside anyone who gets in his way.

With the school almost completely under the control of Kyogoku, only one boy seems unaffected—Seki. Does Seki have what it takes to save everyone from the clutches of mind control?

(Source: Scotland Loves Animation)

Why You Should Watch This:

Want a cute little school-life/romance movie with eye-candy visuals? This is what you are looking for.

The basic premise of Nerawareta Gakuen is pretty simple. A pretty-boy transfer student with telepathic powers comes is trying to take over the school, and it is up to our clumsy protagonist Seki to save the day!... at least, that's what it seems like based on the Synopsis, but don't expect any action or psychic battles from this movie, as the focus is primarily on school-life aspects. While many of the developments and plot progressions are quite cliche, the movie also tries to explore the teenage struggle of figuring out what it really means to communicate and understand each other. As a long-time school-life/romance fan, I thoroughly enjoyed the character interactions and the characters clicked with me very well. The greatest strength of this movie is definitely the stunning visuals and great sound that do a great job boosting your enjoyment.

/endrant.

#2 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

Feisty

• Moderators
  • 12,559 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 11 March 2015 - 05:19 PM

I've actually never heard of this before.

Being only 110 minutes long means it will be easy enough to watch and catch up on. :)

#3 ruggia

ruggia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 05:27 PM

I've actually never heard of this before.

Being only 110 minutes long means it will be easy enough to watch and catch up on. :)

My main purpose for this thread is actually to see how others view it. When I watched it first time, I really loved it and thought it was one of the best school-life/romance anime movies I've watched. But looking at some reviews, I did realize the basic plot is quite cliche, and story can be a bit lacking. So I'm quite curious if I was just too hyped and blinded by the visuals when I watched it the first time to notice the flaws, or if I'm not alone in feeling that it did indeed offer something more than what's on the surface.

#4 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,923 posts
  • LocationWith my Khaleesi <3333

User's Awards

Posted 11 March 2015 - 05:39 PM

I watched this when it first came out and it was pretty cute...I think the ending was sad

iWo0nCc.gif

Nothing will stand in our way.....I will finish what you started....I will fulfill our destiny!

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#5 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

Feisty

• Moderators
  • 12,559 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 13 March 2015 - 10:49 PM

I just finished watching it and I liked it a lot. It's really, really, really, really pretty and cliche, but it was still enjoyable. I was ready to hate it when Seki was being an obviously dense protagonist, but it all worked out nicely in the end. The ending was kind of sad though.

It's a solid seven imo that I don't regret watching at all. Glad it was recommended.

• ruggia likes this

#6 singleturbo

singleturbo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 March 2015 - 12:03 PM

I did like the animation even if it was over the top. It was like "Look what we can do! LENS FLARE AND SPARKLES BABY!"

The plot was meh and it seemed like they just tossed a bunch of time travel, ramblings, and other things in there to create depth from confusion. Time travel is like the go to trope if you want to be all sci-fi and deep without having to explain anything.

Oh well it was okay I guess.

2ccmpm8.gif

#7 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,626 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 12:24 PM

I just watched it. That's some good movie (not really special though) with a clear purpose, idea and message (at least the way I understand it) but if only it bothered to explain a bit more about the plot: the foxes, the collapse of the grandpa, his relationship with Ryouchi's mom and the psychic students' fate.

And for the first time in so many years I have no complain about cliche in a super cliche work. Because it really is successful in terms of making me feel like that's the whole point of it.

Spoiler Top Favorite Male Manga Characters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users