Red Opus

Ghost

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts

User's Awards

5    3   

Posted 20 June 2016 - 01:18 PM

I dont have a problem with it except, where does that start with the artistic choice like...someone wanting to exaggerate a wor, or wanting a sentence to be read a certain way, I know I doooo it a lot

9T9UA2g.jpg

#162 diezdragon

diezdragon

Protagonist of Life

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts
  • LocationJapan

User's Awards

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:59 AM

To have all entries subjected to an editor and needing to live up to a standard beyond fulfilling artistic criteria such as the corresponding theme is quite frankly just retarded. I have definitely turned in my fair share of stupid poems over the contests I've participated in, most times when I've tried to write something but it ended up sucking, but I turned it in anyway just because of the "the more entries the better" policy that has been here. To restrict art however is just horribly counter-productive in my opinion, it's okay to give it a spin through guidelines or directions, but the idea of having someone say "no, this isn't good enough to be a poem here" is just horrible. This is not a poetry club, and there are barely enough interested people here as is. To put some sort of standard on it implying that only poetry of a certain level is allowed doesn't really make any sense to be honest. I have always viewed this as a contest where artists can compete with each other regardless of experience or seriousness.

It is my personal opinion at least that it should remain that way :c

Fool's gold can always buy a fool's services.

Spoiler Retired fool quotes

#163 Oben

Oben

Coffee and Cake

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,083 posts

User's Awards

Posted 21 June 2016 - 09:25 AM

It's not about content in the slightest (which can be whatever you want), it's simply about formal things like spelling. I don't like the idea of an editor either, but proofreading your poem once or twice really doesn't hurt.

Edited by Oben, 21 June 2016 - 09:26 AM.

#164 mantisstalker

mantisstalker

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,114 posts
  • LocationDessert Bluffs

User's Awards

Posted 21 June 2016 - 11:41 AM

Well I meant like someone that you could send work to optionally if you didn't feel confident enough to show friends sort of thing.

xwj6hphfvwez_zps37695cdc.png

Manty is a being of Chaos afterall. It was only natural he'd confuse you.

#165 diezdragon

diezdragon

Protagonist of Life

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts
  • LocationJapan

User's Awards

Posted 21 June 2016 - 05:36 PM

It's not about content in the slightest (which can be whatever you want), it's simply about formal things like spelling. I don't like the idea of an editor either, but proofreading your poem once or twice really doesn't hurt.

A misspelled poem could also give it a certain artistic vibe, whether intended or not.

• Red Opus likes this

#166 evilcheeser

evilcheeser

The Majesty of Emo

• Moderators
  • 802 posts
  • LocationOblivion

Posted 22 June 2016 - 07:04 AM

A misspelled poem could also give it a certain artistic vibe, whether intended or not.

I mean.... kind of D:~

I think that intentional misspelling has a place, and managing to butcher the language whilst also making it perfectly clear that you know every rule you're breaking is what some of the best poetry is based on. I also am a huge fan of the kinds of sentences that aren't exactly wrong, but are just phrased in a way that no one would actually ever use. Get a lot of that in music.. But, I really don't think that, like, just not really understanding that you aren't correct has much value at all. Although now that my mind is on it, I kinda really wanna write something with a typewriter (I've never used one..) and thus forfeit my delete key. But I say a typewriter because just forfeiting delete on a keyboard sounds really lame D; like my poem would just look super stupered. I fell like this is often the downfall of the amateur poet; ignoring rules is often actually harder than following them.

Also, I've said it before but if anyone wants to send me stuff, I will look at it and give feedback/. But I make no promises about being fast to reply.

I stole some pins from the notice board, pressed them into my hand, and they spelled "why" -

Why did they spell "why"? Because there weren't enough pins for "oblivion".

#167 diezdragon

diezdragon

Protagonist of Life

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts
  • LocationJapan

User's Awards

Posted 22 June 2016 - 07:12 AM

I mean.... kind of D:~

I think that intentional misspelling has a place, and managing to butcher the language whilst also making it perfectly clear that you know every rule you're breaking is what some of the best poetry is based on. I also am a huge fan of the kinds of sentences that aren't exactly wrong, but are just phrased in a way that no one would actually ever use. Get a lot of that in music.. But, I really don't think that, like, just not really understanding that you aren't correct has much value at all. Although now that my mind is on it, I kinda really wanna write something with a typewriter (I've never used one..) and thus forfeit my delete key. But I say a typewriter because just forfeiting delete on a keyboard sounds really lame D; like my poem would just look super stupered. I fell like this is often the downfall of the amateur poet; ignoring rules is often actually harder than following them.

Also, I've said it before but if anyone wants to send me stuff, I will look at it and give feedback/. But I make no promises about being fast to reply.

I can definitely see your point. What I was thinking about was, for example let's say someone writes a poem about the hood life or whatever you call it. In that case, even unintentional misspelling or misuse of grammar could add to the strength of the poem in my opinion. Then again, of course unintentional misspelling can also end up ruining your poem, so I agree that asking everyone to read through their work one extra time before sending it in is not a bad idea.

I do have a 44000-word long (and counting) novel that I'm currently writing based on something I'm creating with Mantisstalker :P Don't think that's what you're asking for though

#168 Red Opus

Red Opus

Ghost

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts

User's Awards

5    3   

Posted 28 June 2016 - 12:07 PM

Has this discussion come to an end? Should we vote or this........?

9T9UA2g.jpg

#169 Oben

Oben

Coffee and Cake

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,083 posts

User's Awards

Posted 28 June 2016 - 12:17 PM

I guess it has. I'll open the new round later today, the theme will be "Industrial".

#170 Oben

Oben

Coffee and Cake

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,083 posts

User's Awards

Posted 28 June 2016 - 03:49 PM

http://onemangaforum...try-contest-33/

Look what's up now ^^

• Red Opus likes this

#171 Red Opus

Red Opus

Ghost

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts

User's Awards

5    3   

Posted 28 June 2016 - 05:25 PM

You know the world is supposed to end on the 29th lol

9T9UA2g.jpg

#172 Oben

Oben

Coffee and Cake

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,083 posts

User's Awards

Posted 28 June 2016 - 05:29 PM

You know the world is supposed to end on the 29th lol

June 29th started half an hour ago. No apocalypse so far.

#173 Red Opus

Red Opus

Ghost

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts

User's Awards

5    3   

Posted 28 June 2016 - 05:57 PM

June 29th started half an hour ago. No apocalypse so far.

Of July I mean, or so the theory says o.o.
With all the EU drama going on the conspiracies will flew...

This may be the last poetry contest :n omf ever, (ploy for people to enter)

9T9UA2g.jpg

#174 Oben

Oben

Coffee and Cake

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,083 posts

User's Awards

Posted 28 June 2016 - 06:00 PM

Of July I mean, or so the theory says o.o.
With all the EU drama going on the conspiracies will flew...

This may be the last poetry contest :n omf ever, (ploy for people to enter)

That's my mother's birthday.

I better get a nice present to prevent the endtimes coming from her wrath >_>

Edited by Oben, 28 June 2016 - 06:03 PM.

• Red Opus likes this

#175 Oben

Oben

Coffee and Cake

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,083 posts

User's Awards

Posted 27 July 2016 - 11:44 AM

Skimming through my entry its pretty terrible and I don't know what I was thinking at the time.

Anyway, it happens often enough for us to guess the reason, but why the delay? Not really a complaint but I do think its a tad unprofessional to leave participants in the dark, obvious reasons or not. I mean, it doesn't take much to give notice, even if you want to club your players to death. (chunters about unorganized people) If it's going to be a while I may just redo my entire entry.

Please only talk in this thread.

Reasons are pretty mundane, I wanted to keep it open till the end of this week because I'll be on holiday after that and can fit the voting period nicely around that.

#176 Red Opus

Red Opus

Ghost

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts

User's Awards

5    3   

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:45 PM

on july 29th is in 2 days, jaysus man, and on my freaking payday. The world better not end before I go to hustlers and buy that ******************

9T9UA2g.jpg

#177 mantisstalker

mantisstalker

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,114 posts
  • LocationDessert Bluffs

User's Awards

Posted 27 July 2016 - 11:20 PM

See, I can't talk for other players but I would have never have known that. The point the event organizer doesn't say anything for a week after the date you assume they're dead and go do something else.

Not much of an issue on here, I only say something as it happens a decent amount. 

xwj6hphfvwez_zps37695cdc.png

Manty is a being of Chaos afterall. It was only natural he'd confuse you.

#178 kikyou_e

kikyou_e

Let's all love Lain.

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Locationpresent day.. present time.. hahahaha

Posted 28 July 2016 - 12:30 AM

Yeah.. I was wondering what happened. Why the delay. Thanks for clearing that up... 

LainSigReq1_zpsef28ae3d.png

#179 Oben

Oben

Coffee and Cake

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,083 posts

User's Awards

Posted 29 July 2016 - 05:34 PM

Voting: http://onemangaforum...try-contest-33/

#180 Oben

Oben

Coffee and Cake

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,083 posts

User's Awards

Posted 13 August 2016 - 03:53 AM

-participates in poetry contest
-does not vote in poetry contest
-fear of "losing"

http://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xe...

Voting in a contest you entered feels weird to me. I think we once had an issue with a participant voting and they either pulled out or took the vote down? But at the same I suppose the people that enter are mainly the ones who read these, so getting over that idea might be needed.

It's an issue for me cuz... We don't get votes anyway lol, technically we only have 1 person who voted...

Yea, I did say about the lack of votes which I feel is because OMF has been getting smaller, and poetry isn't a very popular activity to begin with. The reason I usually enter is actually the lack of entries.

I'll vote if I remember. Want some time to actually be able to make comments on the poems rather than just throwing a vote out.

I once lost a two-entry contest because there was only one vote cast, which was my own. I feel like voting is almost obligatory for participants, because they are among the few who know the contest is even there, and  most of the time the result is relatively clear anyway.

• Red Opus likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users