#2181 secretzfan

secretzfan

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts
  • LocationBeing a hero for everyone

Posted 14 January 2017 - 12:12 AM

An Deadpool will lose. Which I bet will lead to some funny extra or something in the sequel, with Deadpool killing the people who decide what or who wins awards. Which will undoubtedly be awesome. ;)

Who is looking for it to win?

The fact it might get a nomination is enough for hilariousity.

Especially if it actually gets a best picture nomination. I will be so shocked

#2182 ShinmenTakezo

ShinmenTakezo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,184 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 04:59 AM

La La Land floored me. Utterly and completely!!!

My goodness, a lot to praise here, like, all of the most important aspects of a movie: cinematography (those wide angle shots and frames, for example), music scores especially when this is a musical Broadway-ish film, beautiful and varied color palettes as well as the lighting (I started to think what if this is an anime sometime during my watching LOL), the story and its telling, the great acting, but first and best of them all: Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone's chemistry!!! I already see it in Crazy, Stupid, Love but to think it can be this good when they are given a more challenging and ''Oscar candidate'' project. It's a different kind of chemistry from Gosling and Rachel McAdams' in The Notebook (which is equally ridiculously heart-breakingly good). I mean Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams are like the best couple ever in a straight love story movie (Leo and Winslet in Titanic tie with them) but with Emma Stone...it's just...I don't know...more exploring in other things? Not that McAdams is a worse actress, mind you, and she hasn't acted with Gosling for years so there's no fair comparison anw.

And that deliciously painful and bitter ending! It's sad (well, at least the writer gives us that ''fanservice'' what-if-we-are-together scene, haha). The common reaction I have seen from my friends and Internet is ''it's realistic'' but happy ending relationship exists in real life, too, so you don't need to make it non-happy to be realistic. I suppose there's a message regarding that dreaming theme but I wouldn't know for sure. I just hope that ''gonna love you forever'' before they separated and the last eye exchange between them means something. Still, while it's not hard to imagine, did they really just lose contact or whatever when Mia moved to Paris? :cry:

I just don't like the opening traffic dancing scene and the first singing of the movie Mia's flatmates did. Don't understand the point of the former (enlighten me, please!) and am not impressed or impacted by the latter in any way.

Not that it's the best movie ever or anything, but definitely one of the best this 2016 and a totally refreshing and well-done experience of its genre in the last few years. I don't even remember the last great movie of the same kind that I have watched...

I have finally seen it as well and now can understand why people are fawning over it. Definitely a unique project, especially in modern times.

I agree with the first part of your post, certainly well orchestrated and choreographed and brilliantly shot film (though some shots were out of focus but nevermind that), the set design was great and charming and so on.

Regarding your questions and statements about the ending.

My take is that the topic of the movie, at least categorically speaking, is related to Chazelle´s last movie Whiplash, in which the main character had to give up everything and only obsess over his art to reach the best performance he had in him while, at least in my interpretation, it also painted a dark future for the artist (something akin to Black Swan´s ending, basically the artist burning out à la Cobain for example).

This movie on the other hand deals with sacrifices you have to make on the way to achieve your dreams, especially regarding your loved ones, and that the road is not really like a fairy tale or an unrealistic musical of the 50s.

From what i understood, the beginning shot you mentioned with the people singing and dancing in traffic was full of people coming to L.A. to follow their dreams and they are still full of naive optimism and believe that they will achieve everything they hope for like in the movies or other stories, hence they sing and dance. That´s also why Gosling´s and Stone´s character do not join them, they have been living there for a while already and are disillusioned about their prospects (with Gosling´s passion Jazz dying out and Stone´s acting being unappreciated) and basically compromise about their art.

With them meeting and getting to know each other though, that past feeling resurfaced, basically it was revived by the other respectively. Gosling started to dream about his club again while Stone realized what she wanted to do, basically a play with her own story.

During this part of the movie, they dance, sing again, the colors are bright and so on.

Then reality hits again though, Gosling is reminded by his unsuccessful attempts through Stone´s character talking about him to her mother on the phone and takes a job making music he does not like (though i actually liked the song they played). Since he is giving up on his dream, she gets discouraged as well and in combination with the fact that her premiere is rather unsuccessful as well, she is ready to give up.

And here comes my only important criticism about the movie: The movie pretended that both of them following their dreams while also staying together does not work but it was not made apparent enough why this should be the case.

I mean Gosling decided to take the gig he did not want because he wanted to help Stone´s character more (there is a shot of him watching the ceiling of the flat and seeing mould for example). But after Stone did the audition towards the ending of the movie, there was really no real obstacle in front of them if their love was genuine, being together and achieving their respective dreams did not contradict each other.

• Fulmine likes this

qhz8b56l.png

#2183 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,626 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:57 AM

Regarding your questions and statements about the ending.
My take is that the topic of the movie, at least categorically speaking, is related to Chazelle´s last movie Whiplash, in which the main character had to give up everything and only obsess over his art to reach the best performance he had in him while, at least in my interpretation, it also painted a dark future for the artist (something akin to Black Swan´s ending, basically the artist burning out à la Cobain for example).
This movie on the other hand deals with sacrifices you have to make on the way to achieve your dreams, especially regarding your loved ones, and that the road is not really like a fairy tale or an unrealistic musical of the 50s.

And here comes my only important criticism about the movie: The movie pretended that both of them following their dreams while also staying together does not work but it was not made apparent enough why this should be the case.
I mean Gosling decided to take the gig he did not want because he wanted to help Stone´s character more (there is a shot of him watching the ceiling of the flat and seeing mould for example). But after Stone did the audition towards the ending of the movie, there was really no real obstacle in front of them if their love was genuine, being together and achieving their respective dreams did not contradict each other.

That's exactly my problem. I didn't really explain it well. I was busy praising it so the complain part is kinda brushed over :P

Yeah, I barely see the point. It's like the director just chose that course to show ''sad-ending exists'' or something but I don't think that's a strong enough reason to warrant that kind of ending. Not that it is inconsistent or plot hole or objectively bad and on the other hand it's not like I can say ''no, a happy-ending is a must and the best way to go for this movie'' but like, nothing justifies the choice. Their argument is basically solved. They love each other and say it. No doubt there was a process for growing apart in those 5 years but skipping that is hard to swallow. This kinda reminds me of the timeskip in Eden when Helena was killed. The heroine of the first half and BAM, with another man, leaving Elijah and died. So abruptly. Not the the same situation (I have less issue with Helena's case since Eden's tone is indeed ''shits happen'' from the start) but it shows my point.

From what i understood, the beginning shot you mentioned with the people singing and dancing in traffic was full of people coming to L.A. to follow their dreams and they are still full of naive optimism and believe that they will achieve everything they hope for like in the movies or other stories, hence they sing and dance. That´s also why Gosling´s and Stone´s character do not join them, they have been living there for a while already and are disillusioned about their prospects (with Gosling´s passion Jazz dying out and Stone´s acting being unappreciated) and basically compromise about their art.

Oh, I see. I always thought Ryan and Emma were way behind the group that danced for some reason so...didn't think they were a part of that.

Spoiler Top Favorite Male Manga Characters

#2184 Otaku-N.

Otaku-N.

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • LocationVarsity. Man do I like that term.

Posted Yesterday, 10:16 AM

So this happened: http://www.animenews...rldwide/.111141

And it hasn't even opened in the US yet.

• Tokoya likes this
Spoiler clickyclicky!

#2185 ShinmenTakezo

ShinmenTakezo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,184 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:22 PM

That's exactly my problem. I didn't really explain it well. I was busy praising it so the complain part is kinda brushed over :P

Yeah, I barely see the point. It's like the director just chose that course to show ''sad-ending exists'' or something but I don't think that's a strong enough reason to warrant that kind of ending. Not that it is inconsistent or plot hole or objectively bad and on the other hand it's not like I can say ''no, a happy-ending is a must and the best way to go for this movie'' but like, nothing justifies the choice. Their argument is basically solved. They love each other and say it. No doubt there was a process for growing apart in those 5 years but skipping that is hard to swallow. This kinda reminds me of the timeskip in Eden when Helena was killed. The heroine of the first half and BAM, with another man, leaving Elijah and died. So abruptly. Not the the same situation (I have less issue with Helena's case since Eden's tone is indeed ''shits happen'' from the start) but it shows my point.

Oh, I see. I always thought Ryan and Emma were way behind the group that danced for some reason so...didn't think they were a part of that.

I read an interview with Chazelle in which he explains that the road to success is more or less paved with sacrifices regarding your loved ones that had to but also did not have to happen. But that´s a weak premise for a movie in my opinion.

Let´s just say it holds up as a sensual experience with the music and dancing but i would not think too much about it.

For me personally, it does not deserve the Oscar with movies like Manchester, Arrival and so on (not to forget many non-English speaking movies that will not get nominated anyway but i guess that´s irrelevant) but i can see why many would advocate for it.

I just hope Casey Affleck gets the Oscar for best actor, while i immensely enjoyed Emma Stone´s performance, i did not particularly like Gosling´s portrayal.

• Fulmine likes this

qhz8b56l.png

#2186 secretzfan

secretzfan

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:09 PM

So this happened: http://www.animenews...rldwide/.111141

And it hasn't even opened in the US yet.

Go wide on US already

It actually is in limited release in LA.

#2187 Otaku-N.

Otaku-N.

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:24 PM

Go wide on US already

It actually is in limited release in LA.

https://www.animenew...april-7/.111060

"Funimation also revealed that the band RADWIMPS is creating all-new English-language versions of the songs it produced for the original film that will be featured in the English-dubbed version of the film."

Almost tempted to go again.

Spoiler clickyclicky!

#2188 secretzfan

secretzfan

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:14 PM

https://www.animenew...april-7/.111060

"Funimation also revealed that the band RADWIMPS is creating all-new English-language versions of the songs it produced for the original film that will be featured in the English-dubbed version of the film."

Almost tempted to go again.

yes and 

https://www.funimati...academy-awards/

The film’s qualifying run will take place in Los Angeles on December 2 – 8 at the Laemmle Music Hall. Look for “Your Name.” in select theaters nationwide in early 2017.

#2189 Otaku-N.

Otaku-N.

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:27 PM

yes and

https://www.funimati...academy-awards/

Wait, are you saying that "limited release" is still going on, I'm confused now.
Spoiler clickyclicky!

#2190 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,626 posts

Posted Today, 06:59 AM

I read an interview with Chazelle in which he explains that the road to success is more or less paved with sacrifices regarding your loved ones that had to but also did not have to happen. But that´s a weak premise for a movie in my opinion.

Let´s just say it holds up as a sensual experience with the music and dancing but i would not think too much about it.

For me personally, it does not deserve the Oscar with movies like Manchester, Arrival and so on

I just hope Casey Affleck gets the Oscar for best actor, while i immensely enjoyed Emma Stone´s performance, i did not particularly like Gosling´s portrayal.

Same.

I haven't watched Manchester yet though.

(not to forget many non-English speaking movies that will not get nominated anyway but i guess that´s irrelevant) but i can see why many would advocate for it.

Name them, please!

Spoiler Top Favorite Male Manga Characters

#2191 ShinmenTakezo

ShinmenTakezo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,184 posts

Posted Today, 10:53 AM

Same.

I haven't watched Manchester yet though.

Name them, please!

Toni Erdmann (first German movie i could really watch and enjoy for years)

Elle but more importantly, Things to come

Handmaiden of course

Louder than bombs

Train to Busan

Embrace of the serpent

The Wailing

Under the Shadow

Graduation

After the Storm

qhz8b56l.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users