13 replies to this topic

#1 Shin

Shin

Ultimate Survivor

• Moderators
  • 1,473 posts
  • LocationUnder a bridge

Posted 08 April 2015 - 05:41 PM

Well it has been a year since the last OMCB tournament started up. So I figured if the interest was there again we could start planning it out. Remember this is a basic popularity tournament. So that is what it is built around.

Last year we did a Heavyweight and Lightweight style tournament where we separated the characters based on the series they were in into two different categories, Heavyweight and Lightweight, and we had basically two separate tournaments play out with the winner of the two categories face off against each other in the finals. Roy Mustang from FMA was the ultimate winner. If we do this style again I'll probably be a bit more strict with what series are classified as Heavyweight. Just to give the characters from smaller series a better chance.

Of course I am open to trying something else if we don't want the Heavyweight and Lightweight style tournament again. We could separate the characters into their series first like we did in 2013, or even just throw them all into the same single tournament like we did a few times in the past.

• Raiden likes this

#2 Oben

Oben

there were no malfunctions

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,439 posts

User's Awards

Posted 08 April 2015 - 05:45 PM

I think last year's style wasn't bad, as long as it's possible to have characters from every series participate in at least the first few rounds. Two years ago, the series-preliminary really limited that, so I wouldn't like that again. But last year's style was fine imo.

#3 Nmaan

Nmaan

King of the Sports Discussion

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts
  • LocationWhere strength is a poor substitute for courage.

Posted 08 April 2015 - 05:49 PM

A limit on characters from the same series would be nice, maybe 3ish.

Feed me and I'll be your friend forever, steal my treats and I make you into meats.

I'm big and I'm bad, so try not to make me mad. xD

http://thepunchlinei.../2010-10-18.jpg

QT with yours truly

http://onemangaforum...ime-with-nmaan/

Number 2

#4 Kaidou

Kaidou

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,329 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 05:51 PM

Will previous winners be included?

#5 Shin

Shin

Ultimate Survivor

• Moderators
  • 1,473 posts
  • LocationUnder a bridge

Posted 08 April 2015 - 06:03 PM

I'm fine with including the previous winners. So characters like Zoro and Roy will be able to participate again. That is just me though.

A limit on characters from the same series would be nice, maybe 3ish.

Do you mean members are only allowed to nominate 3 from the same series?

#6 Nmaan

Nmaan

King of the Sports Discussion

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts
  • LocationWhere strength is a poor substitute for courage.

Posted 08 April 2015 - 06:32 PM

I'm fine with including the previous winners. So characters like Zoro and Roy will be able to participate again. That is just me though.

No I mean after all the nominations are done pick a number (not necessarily 3) of each series to go into the main draws, it's more applicable for the heavyweight bit I guess, it'll force a little more variety and possibly interest in new series and maaaaaybe lead to more chit chat :P

• Raiden and Abu Dun like this

Feed me and I'll be your friend forever, steal my treats and I make you into meats.

I'm big and I'm bad, so try not to make me mad. xD

http://thepunchlinei.../2010-10-18.jpg

QT with yours truly

Number 2

#7 Abu Dun

Abu Dun

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,459 posts
  • Locationon the way to a certain Tea Party

Posted 09 April 2015 - 05:12 AM

No I mean after all the nominations are done pick a number (not necessarily 3) of each series to go into the main draws, it's more applicable for the heavyweight bit I guess, it'll force a little more variety and possibly interest in new series and maaaaaybe lead to more chit chat :P

One way to get the most liked ones would be to hold a preliminary tournament again were those 3 or 5 characters from, say, One Piece or Fairy Tail will advance who have the most votes.

During the nominations, I'd limit the allowed number of characters from one series from 1 to 3 per member (depending on how many one can nominate). Otherwise characters from lesser known series may get shafted (again) due to people thinking that they wouldn't stand a chance either way - unlike character Nr. 135 from One-Nar-Ble-Fa-Fu.

Official member of the Killer Kick Course SquadTM courtesy by Arsonist Joe

currently reading:

Denki-Gai no Honya-san, Gin no Saji, Dorohedoro, One Punch-Man, Nisekoi, Magi, Vinland Saga, UQ Holder!

and many more

#8 Shin

Shin

Ultimate Survivor

• Moderators
  • 1,473 posts
  • LocationUnder a bridge

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:43 AM

That was why we did the Heavyweight and Lightweight style tournament last year. Since all the characters from series like OP, Bleach, Naturo, FMA, FT, HxH, DBZ would be grouped together in the Heavyweight class and all the other characters not from any of those series would be from the Lightweight class. So none of the characters from the smaller series would be going up against the bigger characters.

I do plan on being more strict with what is a Heavyweight series, so I don't know if we should limit the number of characters people can nominate from one series. Since because there are a lot fewer Heavyweight series than Lightweight we do need a lot of characters from the Heavyweight series to be nominated to fill out the bracket. We can cut the numbers down to something workable in the preliminaries.

Here are the rules for last year's nominations.

Rules for nominating:

• Members can nominate 5-8 characters from any Manga (includes webtoons, Light Novels, manhwa or manhua), Anime, or Avatar (Avatar: The Last Airbender or The Legend of Korra) series they want.
  • There is no limit to the amount of characters you can nominate from a single series. All 8 of your nominations can be from the same series if you want.
  • When nominating a character please type the character's name and the series they are from to the side of it. Such as: Character Name (Series Name).
  • A character only needs to be nominated once. So if you nominated a character that someone else has already nominated then you can edit your post to nominated another character.

I might up the total amount of nominations to like 10 characters, but you can only nominate up to 5 from a Heavyweight series and 5 from a Lightweight series. That might keep the Heavyweight character nominations down some. Though I think last year the nominations from both classes were fairly even. Though sometimes members only want to nominate one, or a few, specific characters and don't want to nominate 10 characters.

Also maybe some members would like to see the Heavyweight characters go up against the Lightweight characters earlier instead of seeing them separate until the final poll.

• Tokoya and Abu Dun like this

#9 Narubi

Narubi

Forever Dreaming

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,041 posts
  • LocationSitting alone in the dark, contemplating life.

Posted 13 April 2015 - 12:30 AM

When will nominations start?

Edited by Yuber, 13 April 2015 - 12:30 AM.

#10 Shin

Shin

Ultimate Survivor

• Moderators
  • 1,473 posts
  • LocationUnder a bridge

Posted 16 April 2015 - 07:03 PM

@

Don't know, but I'll probably start to organize it more this weekend. I need to see if @Echo wants to help out again and see if anyone else wants to. Like looking for images and adding text to them for the battle and things like that.

#11 Echo

Echo

Seventy-eight

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • LocationNot here, apparently

Posted 17 April 2015 - 10:53 PM

I WAS MENTIONED IN THIS THREAD.

Yeah I can probably make images if no one else wants to.

#12 Satoshi

Satoshi

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • LocationBerk

User's Awards

Posted 18 April 2015 - 04:30 PM

Okay, random question. I don't recall being too active during last year's tournament...and I don't remember why, but anyway. In regards to nominations, are cartoon/animated movie characters (but not classified as anime or Avatar) acceptable for nomination? See, lately, I've been getting back into cartoons and reading/watching less manga and anime.

It's okay if cartoons/animated movie characters aren't allowed, though. I can probably think of some manga/anime characters from series I read back in high school and early university to nominate instead.

HTTYD2Satoshi_zpse95b34d5.jpg

"What d'ya think, Bud? You wanna give this a shot?"

"Toothless...it'll be fine."

Wanna know more about me? Come check out my Question Time thread! 

Spoiler Fun SoT Conversations...and Probably More Eventually

Current sig image made by: ME

#13 Shin

Shin

Ultimate Survivor

• Moderators
  • 1,473 posts
  • LocationUnder a bridge

Posted 18 April 2015 - 07:45 PM

@Echo

That's good to hear. ^^

@Satoshi

I guess the problem with adding cartoon characters is that once you take it outside the manga/anime mold you open the flood gates for so many other characters. Then the Heavyweight and Lightweight classes like we did last year might not work as well. Like if cartoon characters are okay then what about movie characters? Or comic characters? It can be a lot to manage.

But this isn't supposed to be my tournament, but the forum's tournament. So I wouldn't have a problem with anything if it is what the members want. So I guess I can add a poll to see what people would like to include.

#14 Narubi

Narubi

Forever Dreaming

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,041 posts
  • LocationSitting alone in the dark, contemplating life.

Posted 19 April 2015 - 03:05 PM

Why not just keep it too Cartoon/Comics and Manga/Anime.

But have two sides of this tournament, with one for Manga/Anime, and the other for Cartoon/Comics.

Then for a finale, have the last character(s) of both sides, go against each other in a final polling.

With which ever one winning, being the chumpion of chumpions lol.

• Abu Dun and Darthwin like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users