• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 04:41 PM

Monster

Batoto | MU

monster-featured.jpg

Synopsis:
Dr. Kenzo Tenma is a renowned young brain surgeon of Japanese descent working in Europe. Highly lauded by his peers as one of the great young minds that will revolutionize the field, he is blessed with a beautiful fiancé and is on the cusp of a high promotion in the hospital he works at. However, all of that is about to change with one critical decision that Dr. Tenma faces one night—whether to save the life of a young child or that of the town's mayor. Despite being pressured by his superiors to perform surgery on the mayor, his morals force him to perform the surgery on the young child, saving his life and forfeiting the mayor's. All of a sudden, Dr. Tenma's world is turned upside down by his decision leading to the loss of everything he previously had. A doctor is taught to believe that all life is equal; however, when a series of murders occur in the vicinity of Dr. Tenma, all of the evidence pointing to the young child who he saved, Tenma's beliefs are shaken.

Naoki Urasawa's Monster is a tale full of mystery, suspense and intrigue as Dr. Tenma journeys to find out the true identity of the young child. In turn, the fate of the world may depend on it.

Why You Should Read This:
Well, someone had to recommend Urasawa sooner or later, so I figured I'll take the cheap shot :P

For those of you don't know, Naoki Urasawa is THE master suspense/mystery manga, and this work, Monster, is his most famous work. It is a masterpiece full of great characters, suspense, and thrill that keeps you at a constant edge from beginning to end.

Really, if you haven't read it yet, go start now.

#2 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19023 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 10:50 PM

Does this even need a recommendation?

Spoiler Favorite battle shounen's male characters

#3 ShinmenTakezo

ShinmenTakezo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6224 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 12:01 AM

Does this even need a recommendation?

Same

qhz8b56l.png

#4 Tale

Tale

Kakistocrat

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3183 posts

User's Awards

3    3    2   

Posted 03 May 2015 - 05:29 AM

Will you guys kill me if I say this might be a tad bit overrated? (To be fair, I'm at chapter 47),

• MattC302 likes this

#5 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19023 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 06:49 AM

Will you guys kill me if I say this might be a tad bit overrated? (To be fair, I'm at chapter 47),

Well, some praise it 10/10 masterpiece and surely that's overrated. I think it's solid 8.9/10.

Urasawa's best piece is still Century Boys

But then again...my complain (aka the minus 1.1) lie mostly in the ending and you're only at 47 so...no idea what you don't like about it. I think the first quarter or third of Monster is near flawless (except for 1-2 stupid action)

Spoiler Favorite battle shounen's male characters

#6 ShinmenTakezo

ShinmenTakezo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6224 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 07:04 AM

I mostly like it because of Johan

qhz8b56l.png

#7 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

What You Need

• Moderators
  • 12591 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 03 May 2015 - 09:36 PM

I really wouldn't say Monster is something underrated/underexposed, but at the same time I don't think many people have read it. I still haven't got to it after all.

#8 Tale

Tale

Kakistocrat

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3183 posts

User's Awards

3    3    2   

Posted 08 May 2015 - 07:20 AM

Well, some praise it 10/10 masterpiece and surely that's overrated. I think it's solid 8.9/10.

Urasawa's best piece is still Century Boys

I'd agree with that. I'm not finalizing my score yet (though scores are subjective and all that), because I haven't read that much of it, but an 8 fits my first impressions.

But then again...my complain (aka the minus 1.1) lie mostly in the ending and you're only at 47 so...no idea what you don't like about it. I think the first quarter or third of Monster is near flawless (except for 1-2 stupid action)

I'm really not sure at this point. I'll probably be able to tell after I'm done.

Edited by Tale, 08 May 2015 - 07:20 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users