• Moderators
  • 12,600 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 15 May 2015 - 11:03 PM

Kekkai Sensen: Nightstar Libretto

13ebf1eb8f.png

Setting
When a dimensional breach to the Otherworld opened in New York City, the city became a paranormal melting pot of monsters, magic, and everyday mundane life. The city, now known as Hellsalem's Lot, is home to anything and everything imaginable. It is up to the stylish superhumans of Libra to protect the picturesque coexistence of its citizens.

Hellsalem's Lot exists in a state of near perpetual chaos, rampaging monsters and events that level cityblocks being an everyday occurrence in the city. The only thing keeping the state of the city in some form of check is the efforts of Libra.

Libra is a secret society that works undercover in the city of Hellsalem's Lot to keep the chaos of the city from spilling out into the human world, consisting of both humans and otherworldly beings from various walks of life brought together by the charisma of Klaus Von Reinhertz, the leader of Libra and a master of Blood Battle Techniques, a fighting style created by humanity to combat vampires and other creatures of Otherworld.

The other core members of Libra include Steven A. Starphase, the suave second in command of Libra who deals with a shadier side of Libra business unbeknownst to the others, K.K, an electric gunslinger with a protective nature, Zapp Renfro, a hotheaded and vulgar prodigy of Blood Battle Tecniques, Chain Sumeragi, an aloof werewolf who bickers with Zapp, and Zed O'Brien, a Fishman and serious individual who studied under the same master as Zapp.

Together they work to maintain the stability of the city and protect the human world from such threats as the Blood Breed vampires, the unpredictable 13 Kings of Otherworld, and the worst of humanity itself.

Story
The players belong to Steven's Nightstar Corps, a secret group assembled through both typical and underhanded methods and tasked with jobs too dirty for the official members of Libra. Under Steven's command, they carry out their tasks while hiding from both the law and the core members of Libra themselves.

The story starts a day after Libra crushes the trade routes for a drug called Angel Scale.

Character Sheet Skeleton

Spoiler

Progression
Players will have the opportunity to enhance / add traits to their characters after certain story events. Enhancement can be thought of another 'level' of that trait. Someone with enhanced speed will be faster than someone with speed who is faster than someone with no speed. You can only enhance a single trait once.

While traits have no hard implications in combat (i.e. our fighting is free-form) it will serve as a way to limit your character, so choose well!

Posting Frequency
The aim is to have every player (and the GMs!) post at least once a week. If you think you will be unable to post within the week, it is best to PM your character's actions to either @DaEvilWithin or @Damanos.

Relevant Links
Social Group

#2 ZCOverload

ZCOverload

Lucina Main

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,392 posts
  • LocationTech City

User's Awards

3       2    4   

Posted 15 May 2015 - 11:17 PM

I'll be starting Kekkai Sensen next weekend so I might be a bit delayed, but I WILL do my best to participate.

DbR5r2F.jpg?1

#3 Insane Soul

Insane Soul

Where are the MORALS tho!?

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,432 posts
  • LocationUmu

Posted 15 May 2015 - 11:50 PM

Sure.

#4 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

What You Need

• Moderators
  • 12,600 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 16 May 2015 - 12:20 AM

While I heavily suggest watching Kekkai Sensen (since it is amazing), it isn't strictly required. In case that was holding anyone back from participating.

#5 God Mode

God Mode

Railgun

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,573 posts

User's Awards

Posted 16 May 2015 - 10:13 AM

I'd play this if they had elaborated on the world enough to make sense of it. But how can you make a character, ability and story in a world that purposefully chooses to remain as enigmatic and scarce on detail as this series has? Not a criticism, but you can't just make up rules randomly. At that point, the only thing it'd share would be the characters and setting. You say you don't have to be familiar with the series itself to play, but I've been keeping up with the anime and I still have absolutely no idea about any of this. It just seems very much something only someone who took the time to heavily read into and research the novels would be able to play correctly.

Just some logistics to take into account.

Edited by God Mode, 16 May 2015 - 12:35 PM.

#6 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,305 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 03:32 PM

Wow, only 6 episodes and already plan for RP? You like it that much or you have read the volumes DEW?

Spoiler Favorite battle shounen's male characters

#7 Damanos

Damanos

Owner of DEW's soul

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,240 posts

User's Awards

Posted 17 May 2015 - 12:51 AM

I'd play this if they had elaborated on the world enough to make sense of it. But how can you make a character, ability and story in a world that purposefully chooses to remain as enigmatic and scarce on detail as this series has? Not a criticism, but you can't just make up rules randomly. At that point, the only thing it'd share would be the characters and setting. You say you don't have to be familiar with the series itself to play, but I've been keeping up with the anime and I still have absolutely no idea about any of this. It just seems very much something only someone who took the time to heavily read into and research the novels would be able to play correctly.

Just some logistics to take into account.

Well, the series does have rules, limitations, and other stuff, it's just that not all of it may be obvious at first in anime.  Part of the appeal is the amount of freedom the universe gives while still providing a solid setting to base things off of.  We have defined races, abilities, and organizations and stuff to build off of and things like that.  We'll be making sure to nail things down to make things as easy to understand as possible while still keeping the atmosphere of the source material, I think.  

TwjBrPX.png

#8 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,305 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 01:43 AM

one 'enhanced'

which among those Traits are enhanced?

#9 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

What You Need

• Moderators
  • 12,600 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 17 May 2015 - 01:55 AM

which among those Traits are enhanced?

What I meant by that is you can pick one to 'enhance'. So 'Enhanced Speed' > Speed > no Speed, for example.

• Fulmine likes this

#10 God Mode

God Mode

Railgun

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,573 posts

User's Awards

Posted 17 May 2015 - 10:13 PM

Well, the series does have rules, limitations, and other stuff, it's just that not all of it may be obvious at first in anime.  Part of the appeal is the amount of freedom the universe gives while still providing a solid setting to base things off of.  We have defined races, abilities, and organizations and stuff to build off of and things like that.  We'll be making sure to nail things down to make things as easy to understand as possible while still keeping the atmosphere of the source material, I think.  

What I'm saying though is you can't say "anyone can play this without being big into the novels!" if you do have to be a massive fan to actually understand this. I've watched a lot of series over the years and this is definitely not one that does a good job being upfront with its universes rules.

#11 ZCOverload

ZCOverload

Lucina Main

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,392 posts
  • LocationTech City

User's Awards

3       2    4   

Posted 17 May 2015 - 10:27 PM

I agree. I'm having a lot of difficulty understanding what it is those "traits" or "fighting styles" are about or how the stat system is handled in general. What the fuck is a Blood Battle Technique? It's a massive underexplained mess, honestly. With an RP, if you use terminology of ANY sort, it needs to be explained in depth by the GM, whether it's an original concept or a canon series, it needs to be explained in ABSOLUTE STARK DETAIL for the players. Otherwise you can't claim that you don't need to be familiar with the series, because if the GM doesn't take it upon themselves to explain it, then you clearly do need to be familiar with the material.

DbR5r2F.jpg?1

#12 Damanos

Damanos

Owner of DEW's soul

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,240 posts

User's Awards

Posted 17 May 2015 - 11:37 PM

I agree. I'm having a lot of difficulty understanding what it is those "traits" or "fighting styles" are about or how the stat system is handled in general. What the fuck is a Blood Battle Technique? It's a massive underexplained mess, honestly. With an RP, if you use terminology of ANY sort, it needs to be explained in depth by the GM, whether it's an original concept or a canon series, it needs to be explained in ABSOLUTE STARK DETAIL for the players. Otherwise you can't claim that you don't need to be familiar with the series, because if the GM doesn't take it upon themselves to explain it, then you clearly do need to be familiar with the material.

What exactly is confusing about the traits?  They're scales to base things such as player interactions or ways players deal with things in the RP without using rolls or numbered stats and that type of thing.  IE - if a PC has the strength trait, they will be better suited to a scenario where somebody has to hold up a heavy weight among the team.  Just something to nail capabilities down without resorting to having to keep track of numbers and things like that.

As for Blood Battle Techniques, well, DEW is right that knowledge of the series isn't absolutely required, but I don't think he meant that that concept post alone isn't enough to prepare somebody who hasn't seen anything at all.

Blood Battle Techniques are used by basically everybody in the anime and all, you'd know if you'd seen it.  For people who haven't or to completely nail down concepts like that for those who are confused, there will be a larger post to come that will detail things such as that, races, and things such as that.

It's just the first draft in the concept forum, it's not like this is everything there will to be to go on.  

TwjBrPX.png

#13 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

What You Need

• Moderators
  • 12,600 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 17 May 2015 - 11:49 PM

Hmm. I think the confusion may be in how much freedom we're giving players?

Since it's Kekkai Sensen basically anything goes. The powerlevels are crazy and like GM described there really aren't many limitations. Can always ask me or Damanos if you think an ability is too overpowered, but generally there won't be too many restrictions.

I'll post my CS as an example so you guys can kind of see what I mean. As an additional note, Blood Battle Techniques do not have the restrictions I imposed. That is just something for my character. You don't have to use BBT if you don't want to. There are really no hard restrictions like I said before.

And there does have to be a bit more explanation (like what the Nightstar Corps actually does and stuff) and that will come soon enough.

But if you guys are confused about something you can just ask instead of wondering?

#14 Insane Soul

Insane Soul

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,432 posts
  • LocationUmu

Posted 20 May 2015 - 09:59 AM

Assuming my general idea gets approved, I'll have my character's draft done this week.

#15 King Tai

King Tai

Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,828 posts
  • LocationNeo Florida

Posted 20 May 2015 - 02:20 PM

same here

The_SHWANN_Universe_7_by_Shwann.jpg

#16 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,305 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 05:07 AM

I have caught up with the anime (except for Ep7 since no vivid's trans yet) and I think it's enough. The anime is pretty clear and easy to understand for me. If there are future limits and rules then people who have read the manga should tell us but so far I think what we're given by the anime is already sufficient.

The easy way to think of Blood Battle Technique is that it's an art that uses blood to perform different powers (ice, fire, lightning etc.). It's just like DFs in One Piece. Besides the fact that it uses blood and hence is probably limited by the amount of blood available (either in your body or something you can carry), it's nothing different from telling you to make whatever type of powers you can think of, except it comes from blood LOL How blood makes ice? Well, I think that's irrelevant since we don't know how DFs' powers come about either and we have no problem making a OP RP.

The races and traits have a lot of freedom but surely blatantly obvious. Again, just make whatever the hell race you can think of. I think this freedom is a pretty neat idea.

The only thing I don't know is...exactly how can we make the name Nightow-ish? :lol:

#17 Insane Soul

Insane Soul

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,432 posts
  • LocationUmu

Posted 21 May 2015 - 07:46 PM

Spoiler MURAKUMO-M42

Story will be done later, although I am not thinking of something that complex.

Edited by Insane Soul, 21 May 2015 - 07:51 PM.

#18 King Tai

King Tai

Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,828 posts
  • LocationNeo Florida

Posted 21 May 2015 - 09:37 PM

May have to add or take off some things

Spoiler Trace Nether

The_SHWANN_Universe_7_by_Shwann.jpg

#19 Fulmine