• This topic is locked This topic is locked
837 replies to this topic

#821 tattaslayr

tattaslayr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 05:25 PM

Well it seems like somebody is just going to do that straight into the WH, with the way things are going.

Whoops. I forgot this isn't Youtube. My bad. I'll watch my language/ 

Edited by tattaslayr, 13 June 2016 - 05:26 PM.

#822 tattaslayr

tattaslayr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 11:23 AM

http://finance.yahoo...-222620444.html

Turns out the guy was gay himself and super confused. It was a homophobic crime nothing to do with Islam.

#823 Phenomiracle

Phenomiracle

Hime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts
  • LocationGarden State

Posted 14 June 2016 - 11:44 AM

It was a homophobic crime nothing to do with Islam.

Not that simple. Can't fully divorce the causality.

This is certainly more complex than one would think, but to deny any religious inspiration is pure apologism. 

• Défectueux and scarletbredErza like this

L o y a l t y              |             B l o o d l i n e

ZmZNGgT.gif

#824 waleuska

waleuska

Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,470 posts
  • Locationeverywhere but nowhere

Posted 14 June 2016 - 11:48 AM

This is certainly more complex than one would think, but to deny any religious inspiration is pure apologism. 

Of course this have to do with religion as a whole. He was deny being himself because of religion and took it out of people that he wanted to be.

p5Y5w8P.jpg

#825 Petite Fleur

Petite Fleur

~ Spider Lady - Kiri's Wife ~ Professional Cuddle Bug

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,905 posts

User's Awards

Posted 18 June 2016 - 12:52 AM

Whatever the source of his homophobia, the most important thing to remember is that American culture raises people to believe in that hatred. No, I don't think homophobic people call for death, but their hatred and anger and constant desire to make themselves the victims and take away LGBT rights makes people like this righteous and makes them believe that our society condones this.

2mGKRJi.png
▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂

Spoiler Quotes

#826 Milareppa

Milareppa

Live Long and Prosper

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,094 posts

User's Awards

Posted 24 June 2016 - 07:54 PM

My company's decided to create gender-neutral toilets. The toilets throughout the office are going to be male, female, gender-neutral. All of them will have disabled access. All staff will be free to use which ever toilets suit them, no question, no issue.

It's been two weeks since the announcement, and none of us have heard even a whisper of a grumble anywhere. Everyone thinks it's a good starting point.

• Petite Fleur, DarkNemesis, Défectueux and 1 other like this

#827 NGEFan

NGEFan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 10:57 PM

My company's decided to create gender-neutral toilets. The toilets throughout the office are going to be male, female, gender-neutral. All of them will have disabled access. All staff will be free to use which ever toilets suit them, no question, no issue.

It's been two weeks since the announcement, and none of us have heard even a whisper of a grumble anywhere. Everyone thinks it's a good starting point.

I'd expect it to stay that way, but if there were to be any issues it would certainly after the privileges are abused and not after the announcement.

My question is how is that going to happen in your company?  Most company buildings of course have 2 bathrooms side by side, so how is there going to be a third?

Edited by NGEFan, 28 June 2016 - 10:57 PM.

#828 Giru

Giru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 04:42 AM

Yeah, this debate has been derailed a good bit. 

Might as well change subject by telling my personal story;

I am a bisexual male. I found out in 9th grade, meaning I was around 15-16 years old. I didn't come out at this age, I kept it to myself. Basically my class was kinda shit. It wasn't like I hated any of them or they hated me, I just didn't have the confidence in myself or them to share my sexuality. Things changed, when I got into the "gymnasium" - the Danish version of High School - where I met a lot of really cool and nice people, whom I felt very comfortable with. So I eventually came out to them. And they didn't treat me any differently from before - so that was a very good confidence booster. Really helped that they didn't give two cents about whether I liked boys or girls. 

Before that though, I came out to my parents. I believe I said something like "I think I might be bisexual." And the worst thing happened; My mom started crying. She literally sobbed "But I wanted to have grandchildren." I'm an only child.

Now, I love my mother, but that reaction caught me so off-guard I had trouble finding a reaction at all, besides pulling my statement back over time, leading her and my father to believe that I am now a heterosexual. My dad was pretty cool about the whole thing. I told him first, and he just said: "Well, ok. Let's see what mom says when she gets home." He was honestly more concerned with the trouble I could face later in life, than getting those blasted grandchildren.

In hindsight, it was a huge mistake not being honest with my mother. Despite my friends - also the few I still talk to from 9th grade - all having accepted my sexuality, I now have a huge deal of trouble deciding whether I want to tell my parents or not and if I do, how not to come across as lying coward. 

My point is basically that if you are a bi- or homosexual, you better make sure you don't back out, when you've decided to come out. It will get you into a weird sort of perpetual hell of decisions. Just get it over with and deal with the consequences if you decide to come out. Kierkegaard, a famous Danish philosopher, thought that despair came to an individual, when it didn't have the opportunity to be its true self - both towards itself and others. I endorse that statement. Be yourself and don't let anyone decide who you'll be. 

Peace out! 

The thing is, what does being bi, gay or whatever have to do with having children? That's the messed up part really. And coming from the parents it's hard, like what matters is what you do for them, not what you do for you. It's selfish.

I hope you'll find the strength to tell your mother once and for all what you feel. Good luck with that!

• Défectueux likes this

#829 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,078 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 04:10 PM

I'd expect it to stay that way, but if there were to be any issues it would certainly after the privileges are abused and not after the announcement.

My question is how is that going to happen in your company?  Most company buildings of course have 2 bathrooms side by side, so how is there going to be a third?

I really don't know how plumbing and such work in buildings. But I would assume there's a way to install another bathroom in a building. And by building I mean multi-floor building. However, I'd think that the "easiest" way would be to knock down both bathroom and renovate them to be 3 bathrooms. Of course, I'm assuming that the bathrooms are not single-use/person.

• Défectueux likes this

Kubo's announcement will be his new work will be called Tide; not as strong as bleach but does its trolling in a more colorful fashion! - arcane_chaos

Spoiler

#830 NGEFan

NGEFan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 08:12 PM

I really don't know how plumbing and such work in buildings. But I would assume there's a way to install another bathroom in a building. And by building I mean multi-floor building. However, I'd think that the "easiest" way would be to knock down both bathroom and renovate them to be 3 bathrooms. Of course, I'm assuming that the bathrooms are not single-use/person.

Sure, if you have hundreds of thousands of dollars laying around.  Building a company building's bathroom isn't cheap.  Though of course they DO have a million dollars laying around, but companies are usually stingier than that.

Edited by NGEFan, 30 June 2016 - 08:14 PM.

#831 waleuska

waleuska

Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 08:27 PM

Sure, if you have hundreds of thousands of dollars laying around.  Building a company building's bathroom isn't cheap.  Though of course they DO have a million dollars laying around, but companies are usually stingier than that.

that and what is the point?

Transgenders are what less then 3% of the population.

I swear this was a nonissue into this year.

p5Y5w8P.jpg

#832 Milareppa

Milareppa

Live Long and Prosper

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,094 posts

User's Awards

Posted 03 July 2016 - 11:40 AM

My company's not like that. Male toilets might be at one end of the corridor, and females at the other end. Male toilets might be on one floor, female toilets on another floor. We also have an on-site gym, so there's even an area of the building devoted to showers and toilets and changing rooms. There are also disabled toilets scattered around the floors.

It's going to be a mixture of converting some existing toilets and creating space for new toilets, but nowhere in the building are there going to be three different types of toilet side-by-side because nowhere has male/female toilets side-by-side.

The building my company works in is like a rabbit warren.

Edited by Milareppa, 03 July 2016 - 11:43 AM.

• Défectueux likes this

#833 Petite Fleur

Petite Fleur

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,905 posts

User's Awards

Posted 03 July 2016 - 10:54 PM

that and what is the point?

Transgenders are what less then 3% of the population.

I swear this was a nonissue into this year.

It's been an issue forever, cis people are just now being made aware of it. Like mental illness, or homosexuality, or women's rights. The struggles have always been there, it's just about the public spotlight.

What we are seeing now is progress finally showing up, not a new issue suddenly appearing

2mGKRJi.png
▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂

Spoiler Quotes

#834 Petite Fleur

Petite Fleur

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,905 posts

User's Awards

Posted 11 July 2016 - 01:24 PM

https://medium.com/@...7e42#.45hdd2rcw

I found this today on my Facebook feed. There is a lot that a hypermasculine culture does that hurts LGBT people regardless of gender. What we don't often hear about is hyperfemininity and how it can be just as harmful, but hidden in pleasantries.

2mGKRJi.png
▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂

Spoiler Quotes

#835 waleuska

waleuska

Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 01:52 PM

It's been an issue forever, cis people are just now being made aware of it. Like mental illness, or homosexuality, or women's rights. The struggles have always been there, it's just about the public spotlight.

What we are seeing now is progress finally showing up, not a new issue suddenly appearing

wait you miss understood i understand your plight. I am talking about straight people.

The bathroom problem was never a real problem, for them. Trans are not running around trying to peep on people. So my point to them is why is it a problem now when it wasn't one before.

p5Y5w8P.jpg

#836 Petite Fleur

Petite Fleur

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,905 posts

User's Awards

Posted 11 July 2016 - 01:54 PM

wait you miss understood i understand your plight. I am talking about straight people.

The bathroom problem was never a real problem, for them. Trans are not running around trying to peep on people. So my point to them is why is it a problem now when it wasn't one before.

Because now they're aware of trans people. They'd have protested before if they knew then, too.

2mGKRJi.png
▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂

Spoiler Quotes

#837 waleuska

waleuska

Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 04:18 PM

Because now they're aware of trans people. They'd have protested before if they knew then, too.

They learn about them but that doesn't change anything.

p5Y5w8P.jpg

#838 Petite Fleur

Petite Fleur

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,905 posts

User's Awards

Posted 11 July 2016 - 04:31 PM

They learn about them but that doesn't change anything.

Ish. Educating people is hard. For example, whether I've been nice, mean, patient, impatient, full of links or not, most people that debate trans people in this thread ignore what I have up say, or find some reason to discredit it in favor of making things up. I'm the only trans person here. Literally the only one.

People want to explain, not learn, and for here that just means Passingby goes on for 6 pages confusing gender expression and gender identity, and Misty says being trans makes me too biased to explain my own existence.

I the big bad world, people mark us as sex offenders, because asking questions is too hard, or they define what is and isn't trans, and deny people who aren't "trans enough" to them, to give you the conservative and liberal ways of society handling us.

It seems every bit of quality research, statistics, and studies are only used to quote how often we kill ourselves not to note and analyze the findings from say neuroscience.

2mGKRJi.png
▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂

Spoiler Quotes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users