118 replies to this topic

#101 Hyouzou

Hyouzou

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • LocationFishman Island

Posted 16 March 2016 - 08:47 AM

I treat DF's on a case by case basis. Many DF's use up trait slots, but not all. For example, most Zoans use up a trait ("When in hybrid form, this character has 1 Power strength") and many Paramecias do ("A Rubber man is invulnerable to blunt damage"). Some don't, like Kin'emon and Kanjuros fruits. It's all about whether or not the fruit grants the user some kind of automatic advantage. Logias don't really get an automatic advantage, but they're so powerful I think they might need to cost a Trait anyway. We'll see. 

Edit: Didn't even answer your question. If a DF costs a trait, it's going to take up the free slot you have. i.e you can't begin the RP as a fishman with a Devil Fruit, since they only have 1 trait and it's already taken by the Fishman Strength trait - unless the DF doesn't cost a trait.

Edited by Hyouzou, 16 March 2016 - 08:48 AM.

#102 Lone_ant

Lone_ant

Shinninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6703 posts
  • LocationWhere I am

Posted 16 March 2016 - 08:52 AM

Thanks, so since my DF gives me Perfect memory, I guess that uses up my free trait slot.

If so, I think my CS is done! Finally!

Unless I did something wrong with the techniques? I used up 4 Focus just to be able to "realize" what my DF was supposed to be able to do (I guess Memory Transfer will have to be a higher order technique).

#103 Hyouzou

Hyouzou

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • LocationFishman Island

Posted 16 March 2016 - 09:01 AM

I don't think perfect memory is enough of an in-combat benefit to warrant a Trait, so you're good.

Edit: I don't have time to read through the entire CS right now, but I have a couple things I noticed.

Write a little about the DF in the DF category. You need some kind of way to initiate your memory powers. Just being able to freely remove memories from anybody you look at is a little OP. You can start at having the ability be on touch, you can use techs to make it a ranged thing (Like the Mero or Noro beam), and then when you get high enough, I'll let you do what you want in a certain radius. The Deja Vu tech doesn't appear to give your character any benefit. You can make it a buff-tech if you want (like buffs focus by reliving a certain memory and drawing inspiration from it). I have to get back to you about the copy tech, not sure how to handle that one. Might be a bit OP if a 1 focus tech can mimic any other type of tech. Anyways, got to go, I'll read through the rest of it later.

Edited by Hyouzou, 16 March 2016 - 09:01 AM.

• Lone_ant likes this

#104 Lone_ant

Lone_ant

Shinninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6703 posts
  • LocationWhere I am

Posted 16 March 2016 - 09:02 AM

Oh yeah I forgot about the activation thing haha. I'll be finishing it tomorrow then since its pretty late. Thanks for the advice :D

#105 Lone_ant

Lone_ant

Shinninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6703 posts
  • LocationWhere I am

Posted 17 March 2016 - 08:19 AM

Added more info on DF and Technique limitations.

Copy technique requires that she has previously read the Memory of the technique through her DF (merely seeing the technique is not enough) AND she is actually capable of doing the technique (she must have enough stat points). She can only do the technique for short time (longer duration would need more stat-points).

Deja Vu is for creative stuff, for example, help a person remember a forgotten memory.. or like you said, memory for inspiration. it can also be used to inflict pain by reliving a particular painful memory. 

For example, in the background, she hit herself with the technique to be able to more fully relive it. Let's just say she was also able to do a transfer, which is a different technique. (Let's just say she's just on the process of studying how to do it,.. it helped the other person was amenable, and that it was her own memory that she was transferring.)

Edited by Lone_ant, 17 March 2016 - 08:33 AM.

#106 Hyouzou

Hyouzou

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • LocationFishman Island

Posted 17 March 2016 - 02:33 PM

Alright, i've read through your CS now.

The difficulty with the copy tech is that you're using a tech that only has 1 point in it, and you want that point to simultaneously act as a focus point for copying a move, and as the point that calculates damage (i.e a 1 Power punch deals 1 damage. A 1 Power and 1 Agility punch that is very fast still deals 1 damage, since the Agility point is spent to increase speed, not damage. It makes it harder to avoid the punch, and thereby secures damage dealing in its own way).

So basically, right now you have a tech that is worth 1 point, but can be used in any number of ways. If it branched off of your memory reading tech, and you changed the point to be power, agility or stamina (to secure that your character is physically able to use it), I would let you copy moves your enemy makes that equal to the same amount of damage and total tech points. 

I hope that clarifies my point on the matter. Here's some miscellaneous things I noticed;

I don't think your memory fruit should allow you to have perfect memory regarding things that happened before you ate the fruit. That doesn't make much sense. It's not going to matter much anyways, but I just wanted to throw it out there. 

The traits you have listed down don't really work. You need a tangible in-combat benefit for them to take effect. The fact that you're a hammer in the water is understood by the fact that you have a DF, so you don't have to jot it down (but it also doesn't matter if you do). Perfect memory, likewise, isn't it either.

Generally, all traits will end in some square brackets giving a quick summary of what the actual benefits are. For example, the first Power trait you could get would look like this;

Super Strength: This character is strong enough to break through wooden objects with little bother, and can bench press 1 Ton [1 Power natural strength].

This looks like a description of the fitness of the character, but in the brackets you see that it actually means that the character has the strength of a 1 Power tech, natively. Every punch he makes will be treated as a 1 Power punch tech. Your DF hammer trait would look like this;

Curse of the Devil Fruit: This character is unable to swim, and sinks like a stone when submerged and in contact with water. The character is drained of all their power if they're at least knee-deep in standing water. Moving water like rain and showers do not affect the user, only standing in large quantities of water does [ignores all stat traits and de-buffs all techs to 0 points].

I don't know how that one would actually work, but it might be something like this, to emphasize the loss of power when in water.

Now, your Buddha Nature is a pretty nifty idea for a trait. In the brackets it would probably be like this; [1 point Restistance to Focus de-buffs] or something similar. Your character is hard to anger and disrupt, i.e hard to de-buff her Focus. The idea is that traits should look like they're techs, but they're always active. If you got another trait, you could build upon Buddha Nature and make her even less susceptible to de-buffs, you could add another type (1 point resistance to Stamina or something) or just add another point so unless you encounter an opponent extremely dedicated to Focus de-buffs (hint: it's gonna happen), you're good to go.

Your ranged beam has to be a tech. All techs that make that beam faster, wider, gives you more control or anything of the like can be branched off of it, and all techs using it will, too. Otherwise, you'd use 1 Focus point to both fire a beam and activate the memory abilities, which is a no-go.

Again, your techs that include reading memories and such, have to be stated exactly what they allow your character to do. Do they de-buff the victim? And if so, which stat do they de-buff? In the future, when you have enough points, I'll let you decide on your own which type to de-buff, but that would be a little OP to do right now with only 1 point in it. If you don't plan on using it to de-buff, injure or buff anything, it doesn't have to be a tech (the beam still does), since it won't be used for combat. It can just be included as one of the things your DF lets you do. In the end, i'm the one deciding what memories you'll be able to snatch, so if I deem it too powerful, or not powerful at all, it'll switch from being a tech to being something you can do naturally.

So, for your Forget Touch, if you use it to erase the opponent's memory of how to swing a sword, you'll have to write something like [De-buff 1 Power], and the rest will be handled in-character. If you're just using it to introduce drama and conflicts that don't affect combat, it doesn't have to be a tech. 

However! Your memory reading tech can be used to gather information about things, and like I've written in the first post - these are support techs. Write [Interrogation] on the end of this one. I wrote about these techs under system -> techs -> support techs, if you want to read about them. Since your tech allows your character to gather information about anything (on one individual at a time), it won't give you access to as much info as if the tech would only work on, say, getting information about the map layout and where secrets are hidden. Like you said, the broader the topic, the less relevant things you'll see.

I hope you understand what I mean and don't think i'm being too harsh on you. I just want everybody's techs to line up so no one is over- or underpowered. 

#107 Lone_ant

Lone_ant

Shinninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6703 posts
  • LocationWhere I am

Posted 18 March 2016 - 09:57 AM

The difficulty with the copy tech is that you're using a tech that only has 1 point in it, and you want that point to simultaneously act as a focus point for copying a move, and as the point that calculates damage (i.e a 1 Power punch deals 1 damage. A 1 Power and 1 Agility punch that is very fast still deals 1 damage, since the Agility point is spent to increase speed, not damage. It makes it harder to avoid the punch, and thereby secures damage dealing in its own way).

So basically, right now you have a tech that is worth 1 point, but can be used in any number of ways. If it branched off of your memory reading tech, and you changed the point to be power, agility or stamina (to secure that your character is physically able to use it), I would let you copy moves your enemy makes that equal to the same amount of damage and total tech points.

Ah I see, I've never used Geyter system much before (especially since this is a modified thing) so I'm a bit iffy on how to do things. I think I'd do as you suggested, but the Read thing is going to be a sub-branch of the overall Mero-Mero tech I should think. So copying will be a sub-sub branch to be able to copy techs that have points.

But as I read it, I'd be able to copy non-tech things that are non-combat right (since they don't use stat points), and furthermore it won't need a tech to do so? I say this because once she's read a memory, it's as if it was her own memory. And thus, have the knowledge / experience necessary to copy. For example, memory of fishing would allow her the ability to fish?

I don't think your memory fruit should allow you to have perfect memory regarding things that happened before you ate the fruit. That doesn't make much sense. It's not going to matter much anyways, but I just wanted to throw it out there.

The fruit changes your brain radically. When the change happens, the brain already has the memories stored in it. The fruit thus affects the memories even before the fruit was eaten.

The traits you have listed down don't really work. You need a tangible in-combat benefit for them to take effect. The fact that you're a hammer in the water is understood by the fact that you have a DF, so you don't have to jot it down (but it also doesn't matter if you do). Perfect memory, likewise, isn't it either.

Generally, all traits will end in some square brackets giving a quick summary of what the actual benefits are. For example, the first Power trait you could get would look like this;

Super Strength: This character is strong enough to break through wooden objects with little bother, and can bench press 1 Ton [1 Power natural strength].

This looks like a description of the fitness of the character, but in the brackets you see that it actually means that the character has the strength of a 1 Power tech, natively. Every punch he makes will be treated as a 1 Power punch tech. Your DF hammer trait would look like this;

Curse of the Devil Fruit: This character is unable to swim, and sinks like a stone when submerged and in contact with water. The character is drained of all their power if they're at least knee-deep in standing water. Moving water like rain and showers do not affect the user, only standing in large quantities of water does [ignores all stat traits and de-buffs all techs to 0 points].

I don't know how that one would actually work, but it might be something like this, to emphasize the loss of power when in water.

Now, your Buddha Nature is a pretty nifty idea for a trait. In the brackets it would probably be like this; [1 point Restistance to Focus de-buffs] or something similar. Your character is hard to anger and disrupt, i.e hard to de-buff her Focus. The idea is that traits should look like they're techs, but they're always active. If you got another trait, you could build upon Buddha Nature and make her even less susceptible to de-buffs, you could add another type (1 point resistance to Stamina or something) or just add another point so unless you encounter an opponent extremely dedicated to Focus de-buffs (hint: it's gonna happen), you're good to go.

I was thinking of traits as a general thing which described what the character was able to do. It is now clarified to me that traits specifically describe passive buffs/debuffs that are stat related. Will change accordingly.

Your ranged beam has to be a tech. All techs that make that beam faster, wider, gives you more control or anything of the like can be branched off of it, and all techs using it will, too. Otherwise, you'd use 1 Focus point to both fire a beam and activate the memory abilities, which is a no-go.

Again, your techs that include reading memories and such, have to be stated exactly what they allow your character to do. Do they de-buff the victim? And if so, which stat do they de-buff? In the future, when you have enough points, I'll let you decide on your own which type to de-buff, but that would be a little OP to do right now with only 1 point in it. If you don't plan on using it to de-buff, injure or buff anything, it doesn't have to be a tech (the beam still does), since it won't be used for combat. It can just be included as one of the things your DF lets you do. In the end, i'm the one deciding what memories you'll be able to snatch, so if I deem it too powerful, or not powerful at all, it'll switch from being a tech to being something you can do naturally.

So, for your Forget Touch, if you use it to erase the opponent's memory of how to swing a sword, you'll have to write something like [De-buff 1 Power], and the rest will be handled in-character. If you're just using it to introduce drama and conflicts that don't affect combat, it doesn't have to be a tech. 
   However! Your memory reading tech can be used to gather information about things, and like I've written in the first post - these are support techs. Write [Interrogation] on the end of this one. I wrote about these techs under system -> techs -> support techs, if you want to read about them. Since your tech allows your character to gather information about anything (on one individual at a time), it won't give you access to as much info as if the tech would only work on, say, getting information about the map layout and where secrets are hidden. Like you said, the broader the topic, the less relevant things you'll see.

I hope you understand what I mean and don't think i'm being too harsh on you. I just want everybody's techs to line up so no one is over- or underpowered.

Yeah will modify them accordingly. Thanks for critique, I understand. Don't worry, I'm not trying to be OP or anthing, just trying to clarify how the character I made can fit into the RP.

#108 Hyouzou

Hyouzou

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • LocationFishman Island

Posted 18 March 2016 - 10:12 AM

But as I read it, I'd be able to copy non-tech things that are non-combat right (since they don't use stat points), and furthermore it won't need a tech to do so? I say this because once she's read a memory, it's as if it was her own memory. And thus, have the knowledge / experience necessary to copy. For example, memory of fishing would allow her the ability to fish?

Good point, let's use an example.

Bob has this tech:

Luck of the Sea (1 Focus): By whipping out his fishing pole and catching fish in a lake or ocean, Bob can deduce information about the wildlife and environment using fish as his subject [Information].

If Bob then used his tech near Sati, and she reads his mind and manages to get access to this tech. If she could find a fishing pole, she would be able to use the tech.

Of course, I need some in-combat limitations to this. First of all, you can't copy techs that use more points than your copy tech does, nor techs that need more damage points than your copy tech can afford (I hope you understand what I mean by this). Bob's tech would be easy to copy. 

The real crux is how to treat this after you've used it once. I can't let you keep it, or it'd be like you just created a new tech for yourself. Maybe your fruit only lets you utilize borrowed memories for one instance of combat? That would go against your perfect memory and stuff, but I don't know how else to nerf it. If we figured out a good way to make the copied techniques temporary (i.e only usable in that specific combat scenario, or even just for a couple of posts after you read his memory), I think everything would be fine. The tech would also become really powerful if you could copy things that your opponent hasn't even used yet, so we might have to figure out some way to get around that too. 

#109 Lone_ant

Lone_ant

Shinninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6703 posts
  • LocationWhere I am

Posted 19 March 2016 - 08:37 AM

Does this mean that everything a character/NPC does has to have a tech? Or that I'd be unable to use a copy tech on a non-tech ability?

Yeah I thought of making it one time as a nerf, but I ran into my Perfect Memory. I'd rather not lose that trait, so I've been trying to work around it.

Edited by Lone_ant, 19 March 2016 - 08:38 AM.

#110 Hyouzou

Hyouzou

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • LocationFishman Island

Posted 21 March 2016 - 03:27 PM

Does this mean that everything a character/NPC does has to have a tech? Or that I'd be unable to use a copy tech on a non-tech ability?

No, but everything that has a real effect in combat does. We'll have to treat this on a case-by-case basis. I'll equip all my NPC's with a set of techs.

#111 Hyouzou

Hyouzou

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • LocationFishman Island

Posted 30 March 2016 - 07:26 AM

I'll give it another week or so and then i'm updating, more posts or not. Hopefully a more developed premise will attract more attention or something

#112 Hyouzou

Hyouzou

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • LocationFishman Island

Posted 08 April 2016 - 02:21 PM

@Shin @Lone_ant @Raiden @Jekkusormi I'm going to update this in like a week, I'll rewrite it a bit so you guys can still make your first posts after the update and still join the tournament, but i'm probably not going to continue if nobody posts after the update.

#113 Shin

Shin

Ultimate Survivor

• Moderators
  • 1403 posts
  • LocationUnder a bridge

Posted 16 April 2016 - 06:30 AM

Sorry for the lack of replies. I wanted to wait until I had something more substantial to post, but I wasn't really liking my character. I couldn't get it to work and kept tweaking it. So I eventually scraped it and was going to start over, but then I got a little busy and I didn't finish it. Work part time at an accounting firm so it was busy around tax season. Things have settled down more now and I have time today to really sit down and work on it though.

I just couldn't get the glass/light manipulation to a state where I felt really comfortable with it. So I decided to just scrap it and do something a lot simpler. I still like the image of my character I picked and I noticed he had a chain attacked to his dagger. So I decided a chain fruit might be fun. Sort of like Dof's fruit with strings I can create chains from my body and manipulate them, but obviously no where near that level of ability.

#114 Hyouzou

Hyouzou

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • LocationFishman Island

Posted 16 April 2016 - 06:40 AM

Awesome! Glad you're back!

Chain fruit sounds cool. Since the main usage of chains is to anchor things together or tie up stuff, you could get benefits the string fruit doesn't; like attachig your chain to someone and whipping them around. You's have the power to make two things chained to eachother forever (I guess Haki, Seastone and some orher way should work though).

#115 Jekkusormi

Jekkusormi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 01:30 PM

Nice to see some life in this section too ^^

#116 Hyouzou

Hyouzou

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • LocationFishman Island

Posted 09 May 2016 - 08:26 AM

I'm still here, if anybody wants to continue, haha...

• Jekkusormi likes this

#117 Hyouzou

Hyouzou

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • LocationFishman Island

Posted 17 May 2016 - 11:30 AM

I'll just clarify that i'm still really excited to make this thing, but I won't do it if there's only Jekku who's active. I need at least one other person, so if @Shin or @Lone_ant want to make like one post a month or something, i'll still be here. I've got so much stuff ready it would feel like a waste for me to quit without ever starting. Maybe I should go look for more players, but I don't know where to look.

• Shin likes this

#118 Shin

Shin

Ultimate Survivor

• Moderators
  • 1403 posts
  • LocationUnder a bridge

Posted 22 May 2016 - 10:52 PM

I wasn't sure if people were still interested, but I'll just go ahead and post what I have since it would feel like a waste not using it. I ended up really liking the idea of a chain fruit. Though I was having trouble figuring out the techniques and abilities and how they should work in the system, but I guess we can work on that later. The basic idea is there at least. I might just go ahead and post in the RP to get that moving.

Here is my updated character sheet.

Spoiler

#119 Hyouzou

Hyouzou

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • LocationFishman Island

Posted 23 May 2016 - 07:03 PM

Awesome! Looking forward to your post.

Just to clarify some things, the things you described aren't really traits. If you think the automatic chain mail is a big part of his Devil Fruit (i.e want it to be active all the time and not as a tech), I can be lenient and give you a Trait for that, it would give you a base 1 Stamina defense against brute force attacks (i.e not against things like fire or electricity). Traits are always stuff that give you a combat bonus, something you can measure. His skill in navigation is, by that definition, not a Trait, but maybe I should add a part where you can specify some ordinary skills you want your character to have. If you really want to get deep in Navigation, you can make support techs about it, which you can read about in the first post -> System -> Techniques -> Support Techs. They would allow you to do stuff like predict weather (basically being able to control the weather to an extent), finding treasures or other very useful things, or getting valuable information. If we were to get into major naval battles, it would also help you in those scenarios.

Do note that humans always get a free trait, but if you want to have automatic chain mail as a trait, it will be used on that. If you want neither, you can convert a trait into 3 points (i.e 3 techs, one 3-point tech and so on).

As for your techs, it looks good. Since you're materializing chains out of nowhere, I have to come up with how to work that into free-forming. I'm giving you all chains a base durability of 1 Stamina, meaning any tech that deals 1 damage will break them. I'm giving them 0 speed, though, so you can't shoot them like bullets (but you have a tech for that, so it doesn't matter much), but if you're dealing with NPC's or particularly slow enemies, it'll work fine. 

The crux of how my system (and I guess Geyter's) works is how you interpret the points in all techs. Since most categories (power, stamina etc) can be used for many different types of techs, you can't have Agility always mean how fast a tech is, or Power how much damage it does. So for Chain Shot, you're using Focus. This makes sense, since Focus deals with Devil Fruit magic and that's basically all you're doing. But you're also shooting a projectile and entangling someone. So does Focus correlate to the speed of the projectile or the strength of the tie? Is it a fast thing or a good entanglement?

On this note, your Chain Arm/Leg tech is almost unnecessary, since it doesn't actually perform an action. It only describes what the DF can do, which you've already done in the DF section. If you want a base tech like this, you could add to it how strong the chains are or how fast they can shoot out, which would count as a tech. Right now, Chain Saw has 2 points to it, but only one of those points actually convey an action (1 Agility = the power of the chain saw = 1 damage). Maybe Chain Arm/Leg is the tech that gives you the great reach of the chains, but in that case Chain-Saw shouldn't bridge off of it, and Chain Shot should.

Sorry for the wall of text, i'm just nitpicking. You can post whenever you'd like!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users