6 replies to this topic

#1 Nyanko

Nyanko

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,830 posts
  • LocationNyah

Posted 23 September 2015 - 11:54 PM

Web Novels and Light Novels are quite often the source for all our favorate manga and anime; however there is no central depository of where links to each of the series are kept. To find them, you need to know what the series is first, and the translators website. This in turn means that it is difficult to browse and find new material, instead you can only search for material that you already know about. This is all well and good if you want to read the next chapter of Tensei Shitara Slime, but if you want to find something new and interesting, you don't know where to go.

So what do I propose? Perhaps a thread, or a page or a sub forum; something which becomes the central depository of links to the different Web Novels/Light Novels; sorted alphabetically, with links to the translators website so they can easily be read there. Of course this would need to be a community effort; in perhaps different people telling us about different translations that are going on. This too, will also act as a driver for people to the site, as having a central and updated list would bring new people to the forum. 

Anyway I posted this here to see if there was any community support behind this? And to see if there was Admin support behind the idea... Suggestions, or is there a site that does this and already exists that I don't know about? Or anything extra to add?

Edited by Nyanko, 24 September 2015 - 12:02 AM.

The Nominations for OMF Top 20 ongoing Manga for August/September are over. The results can be seen here!

http://onemangaforum...tember-edition/

Don't like the results? Then vote in the 4th Quarter poll in January

#2 Greg

Greg

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,745 posts

User's Awards

Posted 24 September 2015 - 09:05 AM

I think that as of now a thread in Otaku Chat would be a good place for this. To be clear, this would have to be links- I'd be uncomfortable with taking the approach of actually hosting said content unless it was original. 

If the project is successful and discussion warrants it, we can talk about expanding into a full forum with the alphabet mod a la anime discussions. 

#3 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

Feisty

• Moderators
  • 12,560 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 24 September 2015 - 09:38 AM

Baka-Tsuki does a good job of linking everywhere (or hosting there) for the most part. There are some LNs that you can only find on obscure blogs or pastebins, though.

Given there is already an SG (I think) I don't think a thread is necessary, but if people think LNs deserve more exposure then there is no harm in trying it out.

@waleuska, @Insane Soul, @FrostyMouse, @Frozen_Flare are probably the people who could help you the most with this stuff.
  • FrostyMouse likes this

#4 FrostyMouse

FrostyMouse

Life

• Moderators
  • 3,159 posts
  • LocationStamford Bridge

Posted 24 September 2015 - 07:24 PM

Other than BT, there are two primary aggregator sites that list releases for series.

http://www.novelupdates.com/

http://aho-updates.com/

@Greg Of course no hosting would be involved.  Sites themselves already host it all.

• Nyanko and Fulmine like this

ilhd1c.jpg

#5 Nyanko

Nyanko

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,830 posts
  • LocationNyah

Posted 24 September 2015 - 09:21 PM

@FrostyMouse Those are exactly what I was talking about!

Still it'd be nice to have a dedicated LN sub forum, but since there isn't much popularity... probably not going to get it

The Nominations for OMF Top 20 ongoing Manga for August/September are over. The results can be seen here!

http://onemangaforum...tember-edition/

Don't like the results? Then vote in the 4th Quarter poll in January

#6 tattaslayr

tattaslayr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 01:39 PM

Wuxia novels like Coiling Dragon, Against the Gods, Martial God Asura etc are getting super super popular these days. I'm sure quite a lot of people on OM read them. So if there's a sub forum coming for webnovels we could add those to it as well I hope?

#7 FrostyMouse

FrostyMouse

Life

• Moderators
  • 3,159 posts
  • LocationStamford Bridge

Posted 25 September 2015 - 06:38 PM

Wuxia novels like Coiling Dragon, Against the Gods, Martial God Asura etc are getting super super popular these days. I'm sure quite a lot of people on OM read them. So if there's a sub forum coming for webnovels we could add those to it as well I hope?

Indeed.  The last 4-6 months, Xianxia has exploded in the translation area.

• Nyanko and tattaslayr like this

ilhd1c.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users