• Please log in to reply
737 replies to this topic

#21 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19033 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 12:34 PM

Probably easiest just to start with that as a base and then kind of class into Scholar at a higher level? To me a scholar does magic and just knows a lot, which just means they have high INT / WIS. It doesn't really affect them as a fighter.

How were you thinking a scholar fights?

Depends. They can be swordsmen, brawlers, martial artists etc. The ''Scholar'' label is just to describe their job. And yeah, I think INT.

Also remember that you don't exclusively fight with Moves. It's just something that gets used as you describe your fight. I'm not sure if my example was clear enough or not.

I'm still reading the Sign Up thread so... :P

Spoiler Favorite battle shounen's male characters

#22 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

What You Need

• Moderators
  • 12593 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 18 October 2015 - 12:39 PM

Depends. They can be swordsmen, brawlers, martial artists etc. The ''Scholar'' label is just to describe their job. And yeah, I think INT.

I'm still reading the Sign Up thread so... :P

Oh! Kind of how like Merchant might be a job but not related to combat? In that case you just have to create a character and include that in the backstory, no? And reflect that with decent WIS / INT scores. It might make you weaker but if you studied all the time you'd naturally be weaker than someone who trained? You don't need a specific class to be a scholar in that sense.

Is it that long? Oops.

#23 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19033 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 01:16 PM

Oh! Kind of how like Merchant might be a job but not related to combat? In that case you just have to create a character and include that in the backstory, no? And reflect that with decent WIS / INT scores. It might make you weaker but if you studied all the time you'd naturally be weaker than someone who trained? You don't need a specific class to be a scholar in that sense.

Is it that long? Oops.

More like people of that class can take up combat styles/stats of other classes or something of their own style. Just need to fiddle with the specific moves, damage, HP and whatnot. The thing with Scholar is you've got to have high INT.

Oh, but aren't the classes just that? From what I have read, the main differences are just description of personalities and characteristics, the HP thing, damage and items used. Since we don't adhere completely to that site, stuffs like Starting and Advanced Moves, Items, Races etc. can be personally invented and submitted to you to get approved.

And I don't understand the Modifiers...why are there score lower than 8 in that table when the lowest is 8? And where is that 17-18 from? 16 is the highest, isn't it? If there are different versions of this game then which one do we pick?

And DEXTERITY basically is an umbrella term for speed, agility, reaction etc. right? Although I dislike that word in an RPG context. CONSTITUTION would be STAMINA and TANK?

#24 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

What You Need

• Moderators
  • 12593 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 18 October 2015 - 01:32 PM

More like people of that class can take up combat styles/stats of other classes or something of their own style. Just need to fiddle with the specific moves, damage, HP and whatnot. The thing with Scholar is you've got to have high INT.

Which is why Wizard is most appropriate, no? Since it uses spells which definitely use INT. They should also probably need WIS since that is related to knowledge. That is, you don't need to be smart to be wise.

I mean say you can take up Moves of other classes, if you're spending your two best stats on INT and WIS, how effective are you going to be?

Oh, but aren't the classes just that? From what I have read, the main differences are just description of personalities and characteristics, the HP thing, damage and items used. Since we don't adhere completely to that site, stuffs like Starting and Advanced Moves, Items, Races etc. can be personally invented and submitted to you to get approved.

No. You can ignore the descriptions of personalities and characteristics to an extent. I mean it'd be weird to have a Good Guy Immolator who wouldn't harm a kitten, but if you feel you can write one, all the power to you.

As for Starting / Advanced Moves, you are correct to an extent. I think every class will keep their Starting Moves in the beginning, but as your character grows into their role (and I get a better feel for balance), you can suggest Moves for me to implement. For example, you play a Fighter who uses a spear and you think that 'stab opponent multiple times' should be a Move that your character naturally develops. I'd tend to agree and figure out how to balance it out.

The way I see it, if you're just starting out as a Fighter, or a Wizard, or whatever, you wouldn't have really developed your own fighting style / spells? You'd still be learning the core skills that people of your class would know. Kind of how like most people don't start off learning Wavedash in Melee.

It's also important to remember that Moves are pretty easy to trigger by description and you don't necessarily need a specific Move for the action you want to take. Going back to the Fighter / spear example, you could have written "Fulmine dodges the troll's club and tries to stab it multiple times." I could count this as a Defy Danger, and then a Hack and Slash attack and you don't need a specific Move for that action. What I'm trying to say is when it comes to fighting style and such your description matters more than the mechanic behind it. You don't need a Move to do a jumping slash or swirl like a cyclone.

That said, there might be times when you think a specific Move would be cool. You could call that spear attack "Perforate" and have it provide unique bonuses / penalties based on the rolls. That is fine too and I'm cool with that. I just don't see the need to come up with a whole class when a lot of the issues with uniqueness can be solved through description.

When it comes to Races, you can do whatever you want from the beginning, though. Same goes with Items, but remember you are not even a noob adventurer yet, so you wouldn't have (m)any magical items.

And I don't understand the Modifiers...why are there score lower than 8 in that table when the lowest is 8? And where is that 17-18 from? 16 is the highest, isn't it? If there are different versions of this game then which one do we pick?

So when you initially pick your stats, your lowest will be 8, and your highest will be 16. But people change (Level Up, Debuffs, Disease, etc.), don't they? So when you Level Up you can add one to a stat. So you can upgrade INT from 16 to 17 for example. Similarly, you may go even below 8 if you are hit by a debuff such as a curse or an environmental effect. Maybe you are in a mist which makes it very difficult to think.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'different versions'?

And DEXTERITY basically is an umbrella term for speed, agility, reaction etc. right? Although I dislike that word in an RPG context. CONSTITUTION would be STAMINA and TANK?

Essentially, yes.

#25 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19033 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 02:33 PM

Which is why Wizard is most appropriate, no? Since it uses spells which definitely use INT. They should also probably need WIS since that is related to knowledge. That is, you don't need to be smart to be wise.

I mean say you can take up Moves of other classes, if you're spending your two best stats on INT and WIS, how effective are you going to be?

But I don't want my character to be Wizard and he/she wouldn't use spells either.

Ah yeah, I think I got that mixed up. Yeah, scholars need to be knowledgeable of their subject but not necessarily very intelligent so yeah, WIS the highest.

So when you initially pick your stats, your lowest will be 8, and your highest will be 16. But people change (Level Up, Debuffs, Disease, etc.), don't they? So when you Level Up you can add one to a stat. So you can upgrade INT from 16 to 17 for example. Similarly, you may go even below 8 if you are hit by a debuff such as a curse or an environmental effect. Maybe you are in a mist which makes it very difficult to think.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'different versions'?

I completely forget about those. What have I been playing MOBA and RPG for?...I mostly pick Heroes with negative effect skills when I play Dota...

I thought the lower scores were because there were different versions where the starting stats were lower/higher.

No. You can ignore the descriptions of personalities and characteristics to an extent. I mean it'd be weird to have a Good Guy Immolator who wouldn't harm a kitten, but if you feel you can write one, all the power to you.

Actually some of the classes don't have that first paragraph talking about their uniqueness so I have no idea what they are supposed to be like. Wizard has one though and its content...doesn't appeal to me one bit.

#26 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

What You Need

• Moderators
  • 12593 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 18 October 2015 - 02:46 PM

@Fulmine
You can ignore the class descriptions. It's just kind of to help you start, but it isn't really relevant.

What were you thinking about your character, then? I can try and help you out, but I'm not sure what you were thinking. How are they fighting? How important is being a scholar? Is it just that they know things, or is this integral to how they battle?

#27 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19033 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 12:56 AM

You can ignore the class descriptions. It's just kind of to help you start, but it isn't really relevant.

Eh? Is that so?

What were you thinking about your character, then? I can try and help you out, but I'm not sure what you were thinking. How are they fighting? How important is being a scholar? Is it just that they know things, or is this integral to how they battle?

Overall he fights like a Fighter, but his base HP is not as high and his WIS is the highest stat due to being scholar (I'm thinking anthropologist). Thanks to that he has prior knowledge of other classes and races and history of dungeons so many times he would have certain advantages in fights and picking routes (of course, have to be balanced)

#28 ZCOverload

ZCOverload

Lucina Main

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12390 posts
  • LocationTech City

User's Awards

3       2    4   

Posted 19 October 2015 - 03:01 AM

DEW and I discussed branching out the base classes. He logged off before I could pitch any further plans to him but I was going to talk to him about stat distribution affecting class development.

DbR5r2F.jpg?1

#29 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

What You Need

• Moderators
  • 12593 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 19 October 2015 - 05:16 PM

Eh? Is that so?

As said before, if you can somehow sell me a Good Guy Immolator, I'm all for it.

Overall he fights like a Fighter, but his base HP is not as high and his WIS is the highest stat due to being scholar (I'm thinking anthropologist). Thanks to that he has prior knowledge of other classes and races and history of dungeons so many times he would have certain advantages in fights and picking routes (of course, have to be balanced)

So just make him a Fighter with high WIS? Having advantages in fights would be down to you describing him as fighting intelligently. That is, getting into position properly, etc. There is no need to modify his base HP or anything like that.

For characters with high INT / WIS, you can ask me for more information (OOC) and I'll provide it to you if you want to be like "oh that dragon has a weak point in his right leg." Of course, you can also suggest possible weakpoints as well. This also goes for general things like describing a trap better or something (although that's not your character's domain).

DEW and I discussed branching out the base classes. He logged off before I could pitch any further plans to him but I was going to talk to him about stat distribution affecting class development.

Talk to me after my nap.

#30 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19033 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 11:35 PM

As said before, if you can somehow sell me a Good Guy Immolator, I'm all for it.

Why is Good Guy Immolator's opposite? O__O

What is the ''add precise'' in the weapon enhancement section for Fighter? So which stat is added?

#31 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

What You Need

• Moderators
  • 12593 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 19 October 2015 - 11:39 PM

Why is Good Guy Immolator's opposite? O__O

What is the ''add precise'' in the weapon enhancement section for Fighter? So which stat is added?

It's kind of a chaotic class by nature. Sacrificing things and a lack of sanity.

If you use "precise" then you use DEX instead of STR.

• Fulmine likes this

#32 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19033 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 11:55 PM

It's kind of a chaotic class by nature. Sacrificing things and a lack of sanity.

If you use "precise" then you use DEX instead of STR.

But an attack needs both force/weight and accuracy, doesn't it?

Btw, I don't understand the Gear section. The weight part I mean. So if my load is 12+STR, let say STR is 16 so 28 in totoal. Why is it said I can only choose 2 in the list when each of them is like 1 weight only? And what about coins' weight?

#33 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

What You Need

• Moderators
  • 12593 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 20 October 2015 - 12:01 AM

But an attack needs both force/weight and accuracy, doesn't it?

Btw, I don't understand the Gear section. The weight part I mean. So if my load is 12+STR, let say STR is 16 so 28 in totoal. Why is it said I can only choose 2 in the list when each of them is like 1 weight only? And what about coins' weight?

Usually more of one than the other. You don't need to be particularly dexterous to smash something with a club.

When it is abbreviated to STR, that refers to the modifier. So you'd only have 14. Regardless, the reason you only pick one is because you're just starting out so it isn't like you're going to be pimped out.

Coins don't weigh anything significant.
  • Fulmine likes this

#34 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19033 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 12:26 AM

When it is abbreviated to STR, that refers to the modifier. So you'd only have 14

Then what about HP? It says x+Cons and that CONS is the number or the modifier?

Oh crap, Spammadorf's character is already Fighter...so I guess I change to Paladin or Ranger. But those moves...

Edited by Fulmine, 20 October 2015 - 12:34 AM.

#35 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

What You Need

• Moderators
  • 12593 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 20 October 2015 - 12:35 AM

Then what about HP? It says x+Cons and that CONS is the number or the modifier?

Oh crap, Spammadorf's character is already Fighter...so I guess I change to Paladin or Ranger. But those moves...

Modifier.

You can have two fighters if you want? Nothing prohibiting you. I think Damanos wants to be Paladin and Insane Soul might want to be Ranger, so you'll end up doubling anyway. :P

#36 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19033 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 12:52 AM

What is precise or clumsy tag?

Modifier.

But the example on the wiki is plus the actual number.

If it's modifier then the HP is too slow for some classes.

You can have two fighters if you want? Nothing prohibiting you. I think Damanos wants to be Paladin and Insane Soul might want to be Ranger, so you'll end up doubling anyway. :P

Cause the rule on the wiki says each player picks a different class so I thought...

Edited by Fulmine, 20 October 2015 - 12:54 AM.

#37 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

What You Need

• Moderators
  • 12593 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 20 October 2015 - 01:09 AM

What is precise or clumsy tag?

But the example on the wiki is plus the actual number.

If it's modifier then the HP is too slow for some classes.

Cause the rule on the wiki says each player picks a different class so I thought...

Precise is the thing I mentioned before. Look at the Equipment page of the wiki for tag description explanations. It just kind of tells you how it would feel narratively.

Oh, I misread. You are right then.

I've already said that I won't be as restrictive as the wiki. The wiki also restricts alignments and races for example; we don't do that.

#38 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19033 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 01:37 AM

Precise is the thing I mentioned before. Look at the Equipment page of the wiki for tag description explanations. It just kind of tells you how it would feel narratively.

Oh, I misread. You are right then.

I've already said that I won't be as restrictive as the wiki. The wiki also restricts alignments and races for example; we don't do that.

I kinda have a headache already, haha. But when you have precise tag, how many you add in your roll ?

I mistype low as slow, too LOL

Oh, yeah. Though it seems Ranger's stats are also quite attractive

So if I make a new race, what kind of specific move I can have for that race?

Edited by Fulmine, 20 October 2015 - 01:51 AM.

#39 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

What You Need

• Moderators
  • 12593 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 20 October 2015 - 11:56 AM

I kinda have a headache already, haha. But when you have precise tag, how many you add in your roll ?

I mistype low as slow, too LOL

Oh, yeah. Though it seems Ranger's stats are also quite attractive
So if I make a new race, what kind of specific move I can have for that race?

Did you read the wiki explanation? You just use your DEX stat. It's pretty straightforward.

What racial you get depends on your class, context, and culture of that race. Tentacle monsters are different than Hobgoblins after all.

#40 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19033 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 02:34 PM

Did you read the wiki explanation? You just use your DEX stat. It's pretty straightforward.

It says ''rewards careful strikes'' so I thought there would be bonus/modifier.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users