#41 Insane Soul

Insane Soul

ḫ̢̢̦̻̮̬̙̣̊̃̆̈́̈́̏̒́̓ǭ̛͙̝̱̘͖̘̖̒̈́̔̈́͋̈́͝ͅp̢̺̙̮̯͓̙͈̹͌͌̾͋̋͆̐̍͘ȇ̆̉͌̕͝

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,261 posts
  • LocationUmu

Posted 20 October 2015 - 03:51 PM

After gazillions concepts were taken, I settled with my character. Sheet shall be done this week.

#42 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

Feisty

• Moderators
  • 12,560 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 20 October 2015 - 09:53 PM

It says ''rewards careful strikes'' so I thought there would be bonus/modifier.

It's just a descriptor explaining why it uses DEX instead of STR. Unless it explicitly says there is a bonus, there shouldn't be.

Either way it's easier just to focus on the narrative value of the equipment to your character rather than trying to min / max.

#43 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,770 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 05:00 AM

@DaEvilWithin I finish my character. He has his own race and you can think of a racial move for him. I sort of think of an ability, but I don't know how to translate that into game move.

Spoiler Top Favorite Male Manga Characters

#44 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

Feisty

• Moderators
  • 12,560 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 22 October 2015 - 11:27 AM

@DaEvilWithin I finish my character. He has his own race and you can think of a racial move for him. I sort of think of an ability, but I don't know how to translate that into game move.

There are probably a few things to consider before I sign off on him.

* If Wakana is a Level 1 Adventurer. Can he really be the greatest genius the Nomadiks have ever seen? Especially with an intelligence of 9?
* Following from the above, defeating his seniors indicate that they weren't that strong in relation to Adventurers. This contradicts the idea that they would be 'known' for their fighting prowess. Unless this is only insofar as a base line? As I their fodder is stronger than normal fodder.
* Surely a scholar would be more intelligent than strong? Especially if he is deemed a 'genius'.

Basically these questions are being asked for a more consistent backstory. While you guys could easily defeat any non-adventurer with your eyes closed, you're still not heroes of legend. You can't be good at everything.

#45 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,770 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 12:16 PM

Following from the above, defeating his seniors indicate that they weren't that strong in relation to Adventurers. This contradicts the idea that they would be 'known' for their fighting prowess. Unless this is only insofar as a base line? As I their fodder is stronger than normal fodder.

''In his group''. I did say Wakana is born in group 2 of the tribe. Remember Song of the Long March? It's like that lifestyle. Few times a year all the groups would meet each other to celebrate whatever, like the Khan's birthday, but most of the time they don't stay together and travel on their own and settle down at different locations. Wakana is the strongest of his group. The ones that are actually famous and brought fame for the tribe belong to other groups. However, given his age and his potential, the elders (from other groups, too) agree that Wakana is the most genius in their history.

If Wakana is a Level 1 Adventurer. Can he really be the greatest genius the Nomadiks have ever seen? Especially with an intelligence of 9?

Surely a scholar would be more intelligent than strong? Especially if he is deemed a 'genius'.

Genius in fighting. Genius doesn't mean immediate strength though. More like potential. I mean we would call a 9 year-old graduating from Havard genius/prodigy but frankly he's just the same level as many other famous uni graduates, isn't he?

I thought you said it should be WIS cause knowledgeable =/= intelligent?

My thought process is basically like this: I reason that for the stats that get modifier, it means you are talented-exceptional compared to the people of your level (which is 1). The one that gets a minus (8) means you're under average/weak and the ones that stay the same means you're the norm/average. Obviously 9-12 is a range but that's like according to IQ Test, people of IQ80-100 are labeled average, then 100-120 are decent, 120-140 are intelligent and above 140 are Mensa members. So same tier but not same level.

That's why I made Wakana into a sort of mute boy (what a terrible person I am!) who retreated into his own world and focus everything on martial arts and anthropology knowledge. That way even if his intelligence is not special (9 which is the averag-est), if he solely concentrates on only one area, it will not be bad, if not quite okay. Fighting isn't included for obvious reasons. I didn't mean for him to be Shikamaru, more like the instinctive type, fight without having to think. Then WIS at 12 means he accumulates lots of knowledge after years of putting his all into only one field. Not enough to stand out (which would be above 12) but still qualifies as a Scholar. Think of him as a completely normal nameless PhD you can find in every university rather than...Stephen Hawking...I know I did say ''he's better than the wisest teacher'' (in his group) but then that's just how deceptive words are and the art of making one look better that he does (feel like I'm writing Wakana's CV LOL). Calling someone the wisest but don't tell the level of the group he's in :whistle:  Usopp is surely stronger than a bunch of East Blue fodders, right?

But yeah, it seems I took quite a lot of liberty in my thinking and reasoning :P  If the game rules say otherwise then I will change his History.

#46 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

Feisty

• Moderators
  • 12,560 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 22 October 2015 - 10:47 PM

@Fulmine

When I said Scholars relate more to wisdom than intelligence, I was referring to the 'average' Scholar. That is, someone who is twenty, thirty, years old and has spent years reading and learning. That isn't to say that they aren't intelligent, but that experience can make the difference given time. Wakana is fifteen, so I don't think this applies to him. Especially with an average intelligence.

If he is being hailed as a genius (in terms of intellect) he definitely has to be far above the average intelligence. At least a 15, in my opinion. Unless their race is stupid as a rule (perhaps because of whatever made them into trees?) then you can make INT a 12 or something.

If he is being hailed as a genius for his strength, then I'm not sure that is appropriate either. Especially for a race known for their fighting. Remember, he is a Level 1 at 15 years old. He may be remembered as a genius later, when he eventually reaches peaks that few have, but I don't think he would be identified as one now.

Basically, I think you're trying to cover too many bases at once whereas your stats don't allow you to. If you understand what I mean? You don't have to radically change your history, but maybe tone it down a bit?

Also, 'nameless PhDs' are pretty damn smart. At least in North America, you definitely have to be above the average intelligence by quite a bit to get one.

#47 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,770 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 12:06 AM

When I said Scholars relate more to wisdom than intelligence, I was referring to the 'average' Scholar. That is, someone who is twenty, thirty, years old and has spent years reading and learning. That isn't to say that they aren't intelligent, but that experience can make the difference given time. Wakana is fifteen, so I don't think this applies to him. Especially with an average intelligence.

Well, Wakana is really an average Scholar.

Yeah but he spent all his studying time on the field. Nothing else. Like, no video games, no Pop idols, no movies, no watching sport, no girlfriend, no Maths, no Physics, No Chemistry, no Biology, no Literature, no other activities. Obviously he knows common sense stuffs like ''your heart is here, your kidney is here'' or ''5+5=10'' or stuffs of other areas that are related and mentioned in his study but not like he actually learned them. I mean imagine a kid who after knowing how to read, simply studied only one subject, school or home study. That would make up for his age. Especially for field like anthropology.

Unless their race is stupid as a rule (perhaps because of whatever made them into trees?) then you can make INT a 12 or something.

That would do, though stupid is kinda harsh. Just normal. A nomadic tribe so they are not that advanced in scientific fields and whatnot. You can see those areas that they are famous in (dairy products, handmade ornaments etc.) don't require your ability to solveg complicated Physics questions. Though to be fair, when people say intelligence, I tend to think about IQ Test sort of intelligence or mathematical intelligence, which doesn't really tell how well you play piano or communicate or plant trees, does it?

If he is being hailed as a genius for his strength, then I'm not sure that is appropriate either. Especially for a race known for their fighting. Remember, he is a Level 1 at 15 years old. He may be remembered as a genius later, when he eventually reaches peaks that few have, but I don't think he would be identified as one now.

That's why I said ''potential''. Those other famous fighters were not as good when they were 15. I don't think genius actually goes with proven abilities. Well, you have to have abilities to be called that but more like you don't have to be the best yet. You can have 100 Shunsui in your race who have proven to the world their strength then you have this Hitsugaya kid who is obviously wayyyyy weaker than the weakest of those 100 but point is none of those Shunsui were as good as HItsugaya at 15 year-old. If you wait till Wakana reaches his peak, might as well call him the strongest which is much more cooler than ''genius'' since who cares about age when you're the strongest?

But I can change that into ''most potential'' if you want.

Also, 'nameless PhDs' are pretty damn smart. At least in North America, you definitely have to be above the average intelligence by quite a bit to get one.

I want to emphasize the difference between Hawking and nameless PhD and that nameless PhD is not stupid. Guess it's a bad example. How about Havard top grad and an average grad from a super average university among countless unis in USA?

Basically, I think you're trying to cover too many bases at once whereas your stats don't allow you to. If you understand what I mean? You don't have to radically change your history, but maybe tone it down a bit?

Well, it's just wording for the ''CV'' to look cool as I said. When there's actual fighting, he can only rely on his STR and DEX stats, can't he? Not like I get bonus for WIS and INT. CHA has to be 8 since his talking has problem and he's a simple kid who doesn't know much besides what he learns. And no, I don't plan for him to be Gon or Goku, who draws people with shounen-ish charisma. You know how much I despise that crap. He would know his stuffs when it comes to anthropology (social and cultural) when you do the narrative but at the same you can trick him easily with many city common senses or cunning characters.

#48 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

Feisty

• Moderators
  • 12,560 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 23 October 2015 - 12:18 AM

Well, Wakana is really an average Scholar.

Yeah but he spent all his studying time on the field. Nothing else. Like, no video games, no Pop idols, no movies, no watching sport, no girlfriend, no Maths, no Physics, No Chemistry, no Biology, no Literature, no other activities. Obviously he knows common sense stuffs like ''your heart is here, your kidney is here'' or ''5+5=10'' or stuffs of other areas that are related and mentioned in his study but not like he actually learned them. I mean imagine a kid who after knowing how to read, simply studied only one subject, school or home study. That would make up for his age. Especially for field like anthropology.

You still need base knowledge to understand that type of stuff, and it's not like education is everywhere in this RP. That said, since he is a nomad you can easily explain it as him going to many different libraries and learning from that. Him being an average scholar also helps. So he got in by his passion / knowledge of one subject alone?

That's why I said ''potential''. Those other famous fighters were not as good when they were 15. I don't think genius actually goes with proven abilities. Well, you have to have abilities to be called that but more like you don't have to be the best yet. You can have 100 Shunsui in your race who have proven to the world their strength then you have this Hitsugaya kid who is obviously wayyyyy weaker than the weakest of those 100 but point is none of those Shunsui were as good as HItsugaya at 15 year-old. If you wait till Wakana reaches his peak, might as well call him the strongest which is much more cooler than ''genius'' since who cares about age when you're the strongest?

But I can change that into ''most potential'' if you want.

Sure, but Hitsugaya at 15 is still stronger than 99.999% of the population in this comparison. I suppose I have an issue with him being called the 'greatest genius', but at the same time I understand your CV point. Thinking about something like football, people call so many players geniuses, or 'the next Messi / Pele / Ronaldo', all the time for showing some talent. It also takes people a bit to mature to actually show off their genius (when it comes to physical activity). So I am convinced that he can be called that as long as it refers to fighting.

As long as you remember it's still 'potential' right now, it will be fine.

Well, it's just wording for the ''CV'' to look cool as I said. When there's actual fighting, he can only rely on his STR and DEX stats, can't he? Not like I get bonus for WIS and INT. CHA has to be 8 since his talking has problem and he's a simple kid who doesn't know much besides what he learns. And no, I don't plan for him to be Gon or Goku, who draws people with shounen-ish charisma. You know how much I despise that crap. He would know his stuffs when it comes to anthropology (social and cultural) when you do the narrative but at the same you can trick him easily with many city common senses or cunning characters.

You'll be in a group, and imo INT is more central to his character than DEX is. That said, it's your call. :shrug:

As I mentioned earlier, you should be picking stats / items according to narrative. Not what is useful. If you think DEX is more fitting, then you can leave it.

#49 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,770 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 12:34 AM

You still need base knowledge to understand that type of stuff, and it's not like education is everywhere in this RP. That said, since he is a nomad you can easily explain it as him going to many different libraries and learning from that. Him being an average scholar also helps. So he got in by his passion / knowledge of one subject alone?

Yeah, unless Library in this RP requires high school certificate with grades of all the subjects on it. I took liberty again... :P

And yeah, that's why I mentioned the settle down near cities so he could interact with the society and culture. But because he only had his head on books and looked for what corroborate what he read, he is still naive for the most part.

Sure, but Hitsugaya at 15 is still stronger than 99.999% of the population in this comparison. I suppose I have an issue with him being called the 'greatest genius', but at the same time I understand your CV point. Thinking about something like football, people call so many players geniuses, or 'the next Messi / Pele / Ronaldo', all the time for showing some talent.

Yeah, like the Hawking-PhD one, you're supposed to notice the gap. That despite the difference between the proven warriors of his race and him, those warriors and elders of his tribe still call him genius like the way Shunsui called Hitsugaya. It's because they know when they were his age, they were not as good. Of course, yeah, Hitsugaya is still a Captain while Wakana is puny lev 1.

Thinking about something like football, people call so many players geniuses, or 'the next Messi / Pele / Ronaldo', all the time for showing some talent.

Pretty much. And maybe they really do have the capacity but that doesn't mean they will fill it. Balotelli LOL...so yeah, being called that doesn't make Wakana any monster. Just a nice label which has some truth in it.

You'll be in a group

Eh? Not traveling alone? Like HxH's Hunter Exam?

But then his ''friends'' can trick him, can't they? Or betray...now that is depressing. If no one revives me :cry:

and imo INT is more central to his character than DEX is. That said, it's your call. :shrug:
As I mentioned earlier, you should be picking stats / items according to narrative. Not what is useful.

So I guess I will put WIS down to 9 since he's naive and shoot INT to 12?

#50 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

Feisty

• Moderators
  • 12,560 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 23 October 2015 - 12:38 AM

Eh? Not traveling alone? Like HxH's Hunter Exam?

But then his ''friends'' can trick him, can't they? Or betray...now that is depressing. If no one revives me :cry:

Adventuring is generally too dangerous to go in alone. You'll be in a group for the exam and after it.

So I guess I will put WIS down to 9 since he's naive and shoot INT to 12?

I was suggesting switching INT and DEX. I think WIS being high is natural because people will probably ask him questions about stuff since he is a scholar. Granted, he only knows stuff in a specific field and nothing else so it could be either way.

#51 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,770 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 01:14 AM

Adventuring is generally too dangerous to go in alone. You'll be in a group for the exam and after it.

Okay. Hope there's no Hisoka NPC...

So what's the Racial Move?

Edited by Fulmine, 23 October 2015 - 02:12 AM.

#52 Spamamdorf

Spamamdorf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts
  • LocationLemu

Posted 23 October 2015 - 01:32 AM

Oh there was a discussion thread? My bad Fulmine I wasn't aware you were planning on making a Fighter when I made Richard.

Just to try and clarify what DEW has been laying out over the pages here, basically 10 is average for a stat score so keep in mind what that says about your character. Like for Richard I made his main stat point Constitution because I figured hard work on the fields all day and then when he changed to wanting to become an adventurer training his body would be his priority. His intelligence isn't going to be high since he was just a peasant for most of his life with no formal education, but on the other hand having lived for almost 40 years he's gotten some wisdom over the years and his charisma comes from having lived with a well adjusted family and getting along with the residents in his village. He knows how to talk to people basically.

You don't usually want to just worry about combat in these types of games, try to bring your character to life with his stats. Make the low stats a character trait, maybe you have low int because your character is the dumb brute who throws his fists first and asks questions later. Maybe your strength is low because you're a wizard who has been cooped up studying tomes for years and can barely lift his backpack to go out adventuring. Don't even worry about sticking to conventions, some of the funnest characters are the dwarves who can't hold their beer and the dragonborns who are weaker than halflings because then you can go into how that affects them, does it bother them? Do their families consider them outcasts? Do they try their hardest in spite of these qualities or is it the reason they turn to a life of crime?

Have fun with it don't worry about what'll do the most damage, because in the end the DM is always right anyways, if you multiclass 3 classes and two races to get that attack bonus the DM might end up telling you that's all fine and dandy but the conflicting magics in your body have gone wild and you've exploded. Also I'll bet you a lot of the "moves" will depend on INT and WIS so they're not wasted points.

As for the Hisoka NPC, you've got us with you so you don't need to worry too much about them, that's what party's are for. ZC's character may seem like she's hardened her heart but I don't think she's going to purposefully put you in harm's way with the past she's had, (though being tricked in the past can go both ways, she could be all in it for herself or soft to others having bad times, hard to say without asking) and I can tell you for sure that Richard isn't the type of guy to try and lead you astray, you'd remind him too much of his kid, always sure she knew everything about how the world works and trusting every person who flashed a smile her way it'd kill him to see any of you led down the wrong paths.

Edited by Spamamdorf, 23 October 2015 - 01:42 AM.

iyzTKCh.jpg

“I promised, remember? I said I would save you even if it meant fighting the entire world.” “Yes…you did.”

Othinus narrowed her eye as the boy held her in his arms. She looked happy. She looked truly happy.

“But you don’t have to worry. I was already saved from the moment you said that to me.”

#53 ZCOverload

ZCOverload

Lucina Main

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,379 posts
  • LocationTech City

User's Awards

3       2    4   

Posted 23 October 2015 - 01:42 AM

There's no real "personality" section in the CS so I didn't elaborate but Rinka is actually approachable, incredibly flirty and suggestive, and all-around friendly. The only thing is that she's also conniving and very tactical.

DbR5r2F.jpg?1

#54 Spamamdorf

Spamamdorf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts
  • LocationLemu

Posted 23 October 2015 - 01:48 AM

I'd expect nothing less from our party's thief, so basically trust you with my back but not my coin purse.

• ZCOverload likes this

iyzTKCh.jpg

“I promised, remember? I said I would save you even if it meant fighting the entire world.” “Yes…you did.”

Othinus narrowed her eye as the boy held her in his arms. She looked happy. She looked truly happy.

“But you don’t have to worry. I was already saved from the moment you said that to me.”

#55 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,770 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 02:16 AM

approachable, incredibly flirty and suggestive, and all-around friendly

And that appearance...my dream is crushed.

As for the Hisoka NPC, you've got us with you so you don't need to worry too much about them, that's what party's are for

Hisoka kills Richard first, kicks Rinka out and then has his way with Wakana. Game ends!

#56 Spamamdorf

Spamamdorf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts
  • LocationLemu

Posted 23 October 2015 - 02:20 AM

Sure maybe, but it'd be a hell of a fight

iyzTKCh.jpg

#57 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

Feisty

• Moderators
  • 12,560 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 23 October 2015 - 11:57 PM

@ZCOverload

@Spamamdorf

@Fulmine

@Insane Soul

Since we have enough people this will probably start Sunday. People are still free to join at any time.

• Fulmine and Spamamdorf like this

#58 Spamamdorf

Spamamdorf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts
  • LocationLemu

Posted 24 October 2015 - 01:35 AM

Did a rabbit insult you in a past life Insane?

iyzTKCh.jpg

#59 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,770 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 02:05 AM

@DaEvilWithin so what is Wakana's racial move?

#60 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

Feisty

• Moderators
  • 12,560 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 24 October 2015 - 03:16 AM

@DaEvilWithin so what is Wakana's racial move?

Oh right, I forgot. Still thinking about it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users