RWBY (Part 5)

• Please log in to reply
1034 replies to this topic

#41 FongShwei69

FongShwei69

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,772 posts
  • LocationStanding on the bridge between Sagu and Nayug.

Posted 01 November 2015 - 12:33 PM

Spoiler for Episode 2

Spoiler

Aside from that, I still got a few laughs from it, but this one felt kinda 'meh' to me.

Edited by FongShwei69, 01 November 2015 - 12:35 PM.

#42 Tenno

Tenno

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,511 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 05:44 PM

The fights kinda have more storm hawkish comedic bent to them

IE they aren't suppose to be taken super serious at least you really shouldn't worry that the main teams are gonna lose.

Though I agree that all three have basically come down to someone wiping the whole enemy team. -Yang, Nora and Neptune- with said team just kinda standing there.

and the Team LADS fight really seemed to focus mostly on Sun and Neptune which wouldn't be a problem if I knew this was gonna be a bunch of team fights

I mean unless Sun has a crazy notion... Sage and Scarlet might not get any focus in the doubles round. instead focusing more on Sun and Neptune.

and Fully expect the Singles round to basically be the teams Best fight.

"So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again" -Corrax Entry 7:17

#43 Milareppa

Milareppa

Live Long and Prosper

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,094 posts

User's Awards

Posted 01 November 2015 - 05:59 PM

I wonder if they will be some conflict if Qrow and Winter fight, and both Weiss and Ruby/Yang try to defend their relatives.

Nah, they'll be standing back making sarcastic comments about the pair needing to find a room.

So Qrow is a bit of a drunk. I wait till next episode before I judge him.

Liquid courage. Man got his heart broken and now has to confront the woman that broke it. He needed a pick-me-up, but nerves took him overboard.

What?

#44 Tenno

Tenno

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,511 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 06:01 PM

Nah, they'll be standing back making sarcastic comments about the pair needing to find a room.

Liquid courage. Man got his heart broken and now has to confront the woman that broke it. He needed a pick-me-up, but nerves took him overboard.

What?

Mila... you got these goggle things strapped tight to your face.

"So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again" -Corrax Entry 7:17

#45 waleuska

waleuska

Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,989 posts
  • Locationeverywhere but nowhere

Posted 01 November 2015 - 06:06 PM

Yeah, you can tell that the fights are not made by montey.

• Lone_ant likes this

p5Y5w8P.jpg

#46 Milareppa

Milareppa

Live Long and Prosper

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,094 posts

User's Awards

Posted 01 November 2015 - 06:10 PM

I know exactly what this is a reference too

Share?  :aww:

Mila... you got these goggle things strapped tight to your face.

Eh, I need a Kenpachi/Byakuya equivalent, and I haven't found it yet.

Although I think Oobleck/Port could be awesome...

Hm.

#47 Tenno

Tenno

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,511 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 06:11 PM

Share?  :aww:

• Milareppa likes this

#48 Milareppa

Milareppa

Live Long and Prosper

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,094 posts

User's Awards

Posted 01 November 2015 - 06:17 PM

Why did they even wade into the water at all, when they could have easily gone around it, or jumped clean over it?

My impression was that, because they now knew Neptune was afraid of water, they thought he wouldn't be able to get them if they were in the water.

That causes a whole host of new problems, of course, but that's what I think the reasoning was.

I actually don't think the reasoning behind the fight decisions was much better in the first two volumes, it's just that the fights happened at such high-speed, the speed hid these kinds of flaws better. I mean, the fight between RWBY and Roman's Paladin was shockingly bad in terms of setting Roman up to be beaten. So, in terms of the show's ability to write combat tactics, I don't think there's been very much change at all. What does seem to have changed is the level of comedy during the fight.

Edited by Milareppa, 01 November 2015 - 06:18 PM.

#49 Tenno

Tenno

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,511 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 06:20 PM

Can you really blame them trying to have a softer more upbeat tone?

#50 Darthwin

Darthwin

Sardine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,180 posts
  • LocationThe Void

Posted 01 November 2015 - 06:40 PM

Yeah considering Neptune started the match my going on their side of the field the other team can't be blamed for using said water to their advantage. The plan was probably take out sun and go after Neptune last.

a23e6eac-0bb9-4711-9838-7b39c5f0527e_zps

#51 Blue22

Blue22

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 07:19 PM

Okay so I wasn't the only one who thought the fights weren't as...smooth as they normally are. I recall somebody on youtube saying we should lower our expectations as far as the fight scenes are concerned because Monty's gone but...was he really the only one choreographing them? He couldn't be.

Aside from the animation not be as good as it usually is, this was a pretty enjoyable episode just for its comedic moments. As always, JNPR is pure gold. Neptune's thing was funny too but it did make me dislike the character a bit XD

Edited by Blue22, 01 November 2015 - 07:20 PM.

65b30ce3-3f90-4da7-842e-2d9862561036_zps

#52 Milareppa

Milareppa

Live Long and Prosper

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,094 posts

User's Awards

Posted 01 November 2015 - 07:55 PM

Can you really blame them trying to have a softer more upbeat tone?

I actually quite like the fights this volume. But I'm easy-going.

I've just rewatched Episode 1 and Episode 2 straight after.

Ruby's cross-motif is shared by Qrow - right down to the angle the crosses are at. Qrow's necklace is a cross, at an angle. Qrow also has a grey, black and red theme. Yes, Ruby has the same, buried-in-hood-and-cloak look as her mother, and shares the rose motif (which almost looks like a burning rose to me), but her colour scheme and the cross motif - that's the Branwen family.

That's ignoring the cogs-and-gears motif that Qrow and Ozpin share, of course. And we all know that Ruby's comment about Ozpin and Qrow sounding alike is going to be significant.

Shade interests me. It's the opposite of the light/beacon-of-hope/fight-to-protect motif that the schools and kingdoms seem to have:

Vale - imagery of forests and mountains

Mistral - imagery and wind and water

Atlas - mountains

Vacuo - lots of empty space

We've got:

Beacon

Signal

Sanctum

Haven

Shade

Given the suggestions that Vacuo is indeed a desert region, Shade makes sense - the most important thing required in the desert (aside from water, and I wonder if there will be a feeder school called Oasis) is shade. But that evokes the idea of humans being capable of finding protection and sanctuary in darkness if the circumstances require it. That's the very opposite of the history we've been given so far, and of the themes other schools and locations evoke. It is not, however, entirely unheard of in the show to date. The Faunus can also also find sanctuary within the darkness; it's what enabled them to turn the tide of war thanks to General Lagune's blunder.

As a concept within this show, I find the idea of Shade rather interesting.

• Tokoya and Tenno like this

#53 FongShwei69

FongShwei69

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,772 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 07:55 PM

My impression was that, because they now knew Neptune was afraid of water, they thought he wouldn't be able to get them if they were in the water.

That causes a whole host of new problems, of course, but that's what I think the reasoning was.

It still doesn't make sense even in that context. They didn't have to stand in the water, if their aim was to use Neptune's phobia to their advantage. They had the means and the numerical advantage to force him towards the water. Or they could've attacked from the ship. Instead, they watched Neptune prepare an electrified lance to fry them.

I actually don't think the reasoning behind the fight decisions was much better in the first two volumes, it's just that the fights happened at such high-speed, the speed hid these kinds of flaws better. I mean, the fight between RWBY and Roman's Paladin was shockingly bad in terms of setting Roman up to be beaten. So, in terms of the show's ability to write combat tactics, I don't think there's been very much change at all. What does seem to have changed is the level of comedy during the fight.

True, and I was one of the ones who pointed out how lackluster the Paladin seemed, due to how easily it went down. Which (along with the train battle) made me wonder why Roman even bothered stealing them.

Edited by FongShwei69, 01 November 2015 - 08:19 PM.

#54 Milareppa

Milareppa

Live Long and Prosper

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,094 posts

User's Awards

Posted 01 November 2015 - 09:38 PM

It still doesn't make sense even in that context. They didn't have to stand in the water, if their aim was to use Neptune's phobia to their advantage. They had the means and the numerical advantage to force him towards the water. Or they could've attacked from the ship. Instead, they watched Neptune prepare an electrified lance to fry them.

True, and I was one of the ones who pointed out how lackluster the Paladin seemed, due to how easily it went down. Which (along with the train battle) made me wonder why Roman even bothered stealing them.

The one girl was thrown into the water and was still recovering her balance when the two other girls jumped to her side. Given the defensive stance, they appear to have assumed their vulnerable friend was about to be attacked or that an attack was absolutely imminent, except they ended up being confronted by Sun remaining on the shore and yelling at Neptune instead of taking advantage of the fallen girl. At that point we have meta-knowledge. We know Neptune can produce an electrified lance, but they didn't. He hadn't actually used it until that point. He'd just been firing a gun. I'm not sure what clue they could have had that Neptune would have an effective water-based ability given his avoidance of water.

I do have issues of my own with the scene (such as their slow reaction to him thrusting the electricity-sparking weapon into the water), but certainly not with them taking up position in the water in the first place.

On the subject of Roman's Paladin, my hope is the extremely battered appearance of the Paladin even when it was being shown off to the Faunus prior to the fight. It was probably an extremely under-par and damaged Paladin. I hope that is the case, although the later battle in the tunnels doesn't impress me either. The Paladins seem designed to impress ordinary humans and maybe designed with fighting mook-level Grimm in mind (which are the Grimm everyone thinks of and which even first year student hunters can take out). So, it could be that it's not designed to go up against hunters.

It could be also that Ironwood was placing too much faith in something that he shouldn't and that there seems to be a reason why Ozpin appears to have more faith in hunters than in Ironwood's technology. The issue is probably soul-based, which is probably why Penny has been created (because even Ironwood knows the soul is going to be important somehow).

Edited by Milareppa, 01 November 2015 - 09:45 PM.

• Darthwin likes this

#55 Darthwin

Darthwin

Sardine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,180 posts
  • LocationThe Void

Posted 01 November 2015 - 10:08 PM

There is also the fact that I imagine Paladins probably have room for upgrades. They were pretty much demonsated to impress the masses probably. At best they are probably equipped to handle basic grim and not a team of hunters at least not without additional equipment and someone trained to use it.

#56 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,922 posts
  • LocationWith my Khaleesi <3333

User's Awards

Posted 01 November 2015 - 10:11 PM

Crow x Bar :lolxg:

I freaking died at the part when Team JNPR had their team meeting :lolxg: Still, they performed pretty great and Nora's semblance is pretty cool...Poor Juane couldn't get the code names to stick xD

Sun and Neptune are quite the duo lol, I almost thought that they were going to lose because of Neptune's wimpy fear of the water lol....The pirate dude on their team is pretty good =o That dance they did at the end was funny and awwwwwww Blake x Sun is too cute

Drunk Qrow FTW and I can't wait to see Winter :DDDDDD 

iWo0nCc.gif

Nothing will stand in our way.....I will finish what you started....I will fulfill our destiny!

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#57 Clyde

Clyde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,715 posts
  • Locationyour broad

Posted 01 November 2015 - 10:35 PM

animation still as clunky as ever but it has improved.

13121301403036501.png

"Yes, I'm sexy as fuck." - Renji Abarai

#58 Darthwin

Darthwin

Sardine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,180 posts
  • LocationThe Void

Posted 01 November 2015 - 10:37 PM

On humorous news people have taken the middleman out of two ships and milk and cereal exits. Other name I have heard his victory rose. Read a few fan fictions in relation to said ship and one was humorous and two are unfinished so hard to judge really.

tumblr_inline_mv3dwpvjWZ1rkiv73.gif

#59 FongShwei69

FongShwei69

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,772 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 02:50 AM

At that point we have meta-knowledge. We know Neptune can produce an electrified lance, but they didn't. He hadn't actually used it until that point. He'd just been firing a gun.

Which isn't what I meant when I said they could see him preparing the lance...

I do have issues of my own with the scene (such as their slow reaction to him thrusting the electricity-sparking weapon into the water), but certainly not with them taking up position in the water in the first place.

This Is what I'm referring to.

They could see that the lance was electrically charged while Neptune was tiptoing towards the water's edge, in preparation for the strike. Yet, they just stood there.

I can sorta go along with the part about why Ironwood may have created Penny, though. She's far more effective than what the Paladins have been.

Edited by FongShwei69, 02 November 2015 - 02:51 AM.

#60 Gobi Todic

Gobi Todic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 November 2015 - 02:29 PM

Okay so I wasn't the only one who thought the fights weren't as...smooth as they normally are. I recall somebody on youtube saying we should lower our expectations as far as the fight scenes are concerned because Monty's gone but...was he really the only one choreographing them? He couldn't be.

He wasn't the only one, but he was probably the best of them. But from what I heard Shane is really good. I think he did the whole fights of Extracurricular (V2E5) and Best Day Ever (V2E1), at least the one with Pyhrra against Mercury. I have to check the commentary to make sure.

They could see that the lance was electrically charged while Neptune was tiptoing towards the water's edge, in preparation for the strike. Yet, they just stood there.

The reason why they didn't saw that was comical relief.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users