What You Need

• Moderators
  • 12,574 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 25 October 2015 - 05:10 PM

@Damanos @ZCOverload @Fulmine

Mission 0A: Burning Up

A man entered the Canvas City Adventurer's Guild with a hand covering his face. His sandy brown hair was a mess and he groaned in distress as he made his way to the desk where a dark haired woman was working on copying documents to cards. She looked up and sighed to herself as she addressed the clearly hungover man. 

"You really let yourself go whenever Sasha and your sister aren't around, don't you Graham?"

The man groaned again and leaned weakly against the desk the woman was working on. "Shut up, Em. Is it my fault that two of The Six demand we drink every time we commune? I didn't need this before taking the fresh meat to a dungeon."

Emily gave Graham a disapproving stare before moving on to business. "By the way, I've asked Karak for help with this one. There are seven this time."

Graham's raised his face in surprise. Life appeared in his expression for the first time today. "Seven? Are we just letting anyone be adventurers this year?"

"They are all just that good. Most aren't human either."

"As expected of Canvas City..." muttered Graham. "Well, let them in."

The adventurers-to-be made their way through the large doors separating the common room with the Guild office. Graham eyed them carefully and determined the best way to split the seven adventurers into two groups. He clapped to get their attention and began the speech given to everyone who takes the final Adventurer Exam.

"The fact that you have made it this far is something to be praised. It means you are the cream of the crop and at a level that a normal person could only dream to reach. It also means that from here on out you won't be babied. From this exam onward there is a very real chance that you will be severely injured or die. Other than the most basic of dungeons you'll be going in blind as well. You may encounter monsters never seen before and artifacts of unimaginable power."

"Going with that theme we won't tell you anything about the dungeon you are about to enter. The only thing you need to know is your objective. You will find an emblem that looks like this in a treasure chest somewhere in the dungeon."

Graham reached into the pocket of his cleric robe and pulled out a bronze emblem. It was circular and had a picture of an owl carved in the center. Those who were familiar with the emblems of the highest ranking adventurers would recognize it as the emblem of 'October', a formerly A-rank group. "Bring it back and your entire group passes. This is an exam that tests your teamwork as much as it does your individual prowess -- a solo adventurer is a dead adventurer."

"Since there are so many of you I'll split you into two groups." The cleric pointed at Vaeri, Rinka, and Wakana. "You three will be Group A. You will come with me. The rest of you wait here for a bulky man named Karak. You'll know him when you see him." He motioned to the named group to follow him and they made their way outside to a large hill behind the Guild. You could see the peaceful hustle and bustle of the town from there.

- - -

"Ready?" asked Graham. After receiving their acknowledgement, he held up his ring to the sky and shouted, "By the power of The Six, take me to Pyrrhic Cavern!"

A sphere of purple light emanated from the ring until it engulfed the group on the hill. Then the light became blinding and the group felt as if they were flying until they were dropped in front of a cavern. Peering inside they could see a soft orange light coming from deeper in the cavern, but nothing else.

Graham found a large rock to sit on and waved the group on. "Good luck."

• ZCOverload and Fulmine like this

#2 Damanos

Damanos

Owner of DEW's soul

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,237 posts

User's Awards

Posted 25 October 2015 - 08:07 PM

Vaeri raised her hand in a halting gesture.  "Hold a moment.  Justice waits for no one, but to ensure us the divine favor we will need, give me a minute to prepare." 

Kneeling down, the elf clasped her hands in front of her and closed her eyes, mumbling prayers.  "Oh, Lord... grant me the power to protect and guide this flock through the peril ahead.  Let the heat of the flames not reach me, give me the voice to reach all nonbelievers."

• ZCOverload likes this

TwjBrPX.png

#3 ZCOverload

ZCOverload

Lucina Main

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,386 posts
  • LocationTech City

User's Awards

3       2    4   

Posted 25 October 2015 - 08:57 PM

Rinka furrowed her brow at Vaeri's prayer but decided against making a comment against it. "Preperation isn't a bad idea, you're right." She approached the mouth of the cave cautiously.

Squinting into the faint light, she began to scan for traps.

DbR5r2F.jpg?1

#4 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

What You Need

• Moderators
  • 12,574 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 25 October 2015 - 11:06 PM

A faint light seemed to surround Vaeri as a message was sent to her mind and her mind only. "Oh child of mine, fight with honor and valor and my boons will never fail you." The paladin could no longer feel the faint heat that radiated from the cave.

Rinka walks into the mouth of the cave on the lookout for any traps. Unfortunately the darkness obstructs her vision and she stumbles upon a pressure plate. The plate creaks under the Rinka's slight weight and the party freezes anxious to see what would happen next. For a time nothing did. Then a spout of flame surged from deeper into the cave and onto the walls of the cavern lighting the torches. The blaze of light illuminated the ceiling and the party could see a family of bat-like creatures begin to awaken.

The largest flaps its wings and charges straight at Rinka, immolating itself on the way.

Spoiler Rolls

#5 Damanos

Damanos

Owner of DEW's soul

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,237 posts

User's Awards

Posted 26 October 2015 - 12:18 AM

Vaeri glanced up from her prayers, eyes burning with holy light for just a moment as a grin crept across her face.  Standing back up and waiting for the thief to scan the area, she caught sight of the bat-like monster as it flapped through the air in a blazing mass. 

Leaping forward, the elf placed herself between the creature and the other adventurer to stand in defense.

TwjBrPX.png

#6 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,889 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 01:24 AM

Wakana listened to all the instructions from Graham attentively. The excitement did not show due to his cold expression but his inside was burning because finally something very challenging presented itself before him. Upon hearing the grouping, that turned into some pink-ish happiness which funnily churned his gut and blushed the face of the kid a bit. ''This is the best ever since I started this exam.'', he thought to himself.

When they reached the cave, Wakana immediately stationed himself at a spot 5 meters from the cave's opening. He peered into the darkness, focused his mind. The sound of Vaeri's praying could not distract him and neither did the fact that Rinka already made a noise cracking something. Right at that moment, a mass of flapping wings entered his vision. ''Oh no, creatures inside the cave must be woken up by that.'', thinking during action Wakana ran forward at high speed in a crouching posture, then rotated his body, at the end of which his short sword hit a big rock next to the cave from below, sending it upward at the bat-like swarm.

Spoiler Top Favorite Male Manga Characters

#7 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

What You Need

• Moderators
  • 12,574 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 26 October 2015 - 11:25 PM

The bat kept its course and charged straight into Vaeri's shield. The paladin's immunity to the fire and her defensive placement reduced all of the damage. The stunned bat fell to the ground, but immediately got up and started flying once more at Rinka from the side of Vaeri's shield.

The boulder Wakana fired hurtled towards the mass of bats. It crashed into the center and crushed the majority of bats, but two managed to escape and charged directly at Wakana from both sides. A pincer attack!

Spoiler Rolls

• ZCOverload likes this

#8 Damanos

Damanos

Owner of DEW's soul

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,237 posts

User's Awards

Posted 26 October 2015 - 11:44 PM

Having more than enough time to anticipate the creature's second attack, as the bat flew around her shield, the paladin quickly swung her sword down at the flying animal.  Out of the corner of her eye, she spotted the third member of the group being mobbed by the remaining enemies, giving a slight jerk of her head in his direction at the nearby thief as she took care of the largest remaining threat.

TwjBrPX.png

#9 ZCOverload

ZCOverload

Lucina Main

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,386 posts
  • LocationTech City

User's Awards

3       2    4   

Posted 27 October 2015 - 02:15 AM

The primary adversary distracted for the time being, Rinka turned her attention to her currently endangered companion. Opting to take his left flank, she briefly considered whether speed or strength was appropriate. Coming to a decision, she drew her dagger and slashed in an arc as one of the bats approached. "Handle the other one!"

DbR5r2F.jpg?1

#10 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,889 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 10:20 AM

''Okay!'', Wakana turned to his right and pierced the bat as quick as he could.

#11 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

What You Need

• Moderators
  • 12,574 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 28 October 2015 - 10:47 PM

The large firebat's gambit failed due to Vaeri's quick reaction and was cleaved in half by the paladin's longsword. Both pieces of its body fell to the floor where the corpse immolated leaving a crystal the size of a tiny pebble. Rinka dispatches one of the firebats attacking Wakana with similar ease.

Wakana's blade pierces the remaining bat, but not before the bat spits fire from its mouth at the fighter. It scalds Wakana's arm, but deals no significant damage.

Spoiler Rolls

#12 ZCOverload

ZCOverload

Lucina Main

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,386 posts
  • LocationTech City

User's Awards

3       2    4   

Posted 29 October 2015 - 09:29 PM

Sheathing the dagger, Rinka wiped a bead of sweat from her brow. "...Sorry guys. Stroke of bad luck there, I suppose." She stretched her arm. "Not a scratch on anyone anyway. No big deal. Aaaah, Vaeri-chan... Let me take a look at that first." Taking Vaeri's side, she began to examine the dropped crystal.

DbR5r2F.jpg?1

#13 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

What You Need

• Moderators
  • 12,574 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 29 October 2015 - 10:14 PM

Rinka turns the crystal over and examines it. She manages to recognize the crystal as a material used in equipment before it began oscillating in her hand. Before Rinka can throw the crystal away, it explodes and deals minor damage to her face.

From across the cavern entrance, still seated on the rock, Graham chimes in, "You shouldn't pick up the small mana crystals without proper equipment. It's easy to overload them and have them explode."

Spoiler Rolls

#14 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,889 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 11:53 PM

''Ouch''. The flame burnt 2-finger-sized area of skin on Wakana's left arm, leaving him in pain. Luckily, it was for the most part negligible for a fighter of his level. He tore his sleeve, dabbled some water on and used the cloth as bandage. Just when he finished, a small explosion sound reached his ear. He turned back and saw Rinka's face being...not as nice as before. Walking towards her, he asked ''Problem?''

#15 Damanos

Damanos

Owner of DEW's soul

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,237 posts

User's Awards

Posted 30 October 2015 - 11:10 PM

Vaeri winced at the sound of the explosion, turning to the thief next to her with a concerned expression.  "I'm sorry, I should have recognized one of those on sight.  Here, let me see if I can do anything about that." 

Slipping off her gauntlet, the paladin closed her eyes in prayer as she muttered barely audible words, reaching out to softly stroke the girl's injured cheek with her now uncovered hand as the holy power of her deity began to flow through them both. 

• ZCOverload likes this

TwjBrPX.png

#16 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

What You Need

• Moderators
  • 12,574 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 30 October 2015 - 11:18 PM

A faint light appeared around Vaeri's hand as the divine light healed Rinka. The thief had been restored back to full health; it was as if she had never taken damage.

Spoiler Rolls

#17 Damanos

Damanos

Owner of DEW's soul

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,237 posts

User's Awards

Posted 30 October 2015 - 11:32 PM

Vaeri nodded triumphantly.  "Even a minor injury cannot be allowed to impede our quest." 

Giving the thief a satisfied pat before slipping her glove back on, the elf turned to the cave mouth, moving carefully after seeing that the area may contain traps from earlier.  Taking the front of the group, she headed deeper as she tried to discern the source of the fire that had lit the torches before. 

• ZCOverload likes this

TwjBrPX.png

#18 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,889 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 11:37 PM

Standing a few meters behind Vaeri's back, Wakana looked at the same direction as she did. He was waiting to hear if she could discern something.

#19 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

What You Need

• Moderators
  • 12,574 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 02 November 2015 - 11:05 PM

The group of adventurers-to-be made travelled down a long corridor until they reached a source of light. Peeking through the entrance they could see a wide room with a narrow winding path that rose upwards to another passage. Above the entrance to the passage was a multi-armed tribal statue. The statue held burned out torches pointed straight at the group. Vaeri surmised that the gout of flame came from the statue.

Surrounding the winding path was three boars. There were small mana crystals where the boars' eyes should have been, their body was made of stone, and every movement was slow and deliberate. The boars paced around the room stopping occasionally to consume gravel.

Spoiler

#20 ZCOverload

ZCOverload

Lucina Main

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,386 posts
  • LocationTech City

User's Awards

3       2    4   

Posted 02 November 2015 - 11:42 PM

Rinka peered around the corner, attempting to scout the area for any potential hiding place. "Alright, you two. I'll take up a position and wait for you two to take the frontal. I'll see about attacking from the rear." She whispered to her teammates. With that, she crept around the corner, sneaking to a position hidden behind the statue, attempting to climb it and wait from above.

DbR5r2F.jpg?1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users