What You Need

• Moderators
  • 12599 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 25 October 2015 - 05:10 PM

@Spamamdorf @rototom @Insane Soul @fayrbrant

Mission 0B: Strangely Normal

A man entered the Canvas City Adventurer's Guild with a hand covering his face. His sandy brown hair was a mess and he groaned in distress as he made his way to the desk where a dark haired woman was working on copying documents to cards. She looked up and sighed to herself as she addressed the clearly hungover man. 

"You really let yourself go whenever Sasha and your sister aren't around, don't you Graham?"

The man groaned again and leaned weakly against the desk the woman was working on. "Shut up, Em. Is it my fault that two of The Six demand we drink every time we commune? I didn't need this before taking the fresh meat to a dungeon."

Emily gave Graham a disapproving stare before moving on to business. "By the way, I've asked Karak for help with this one. There are seven this time."

Graham's raised his face in surprise. Life appeared in his expression for the first time today. "Seven? Are we just letting anyone be adventurers this year?"

"They are all just that good. Most aren't human either."

"As expected of Canvas City..." muttered Graham. "Well, let them in."

The adventurers-to-be made their way through the large doors separating the common room with the Guild office. Graham eyed them carefully and determined the best way to split the seven adventurers into two groups. He clapped to get their attention and began the speech given to everyone who takes the final Adventurer Exam.

"The fact that you have made it this far is something to be praised. It means you are the cream of the crop and at a level that a normal person could only dream to reach. It also means that from here on out you won't be babied. From this exam onward there is a very real chance that you will be severely injured or die. Other than the most basic of dungeons you'll be going in blind as well. You may encounter monsters never seen before and artifacts of unimaginable power."

"Going with that theme we won't tell you anything about the dungeon you are about to enter. The only thing you need to know is your objective. You will find an emblem that looks like this in a treasure chest somewhere in the dungeon."

Graham reached into the pocket of his cleric robe and pulled out a bronze emblem. It was circular and had a picture of an owl carved in the center. Those who were familiar with the emblems of the highest ranking adventurers would recognize it as the emblem of 'October', a formerly A-rank group. "Bring it back and your entire group passes. This is an exam that tests your teamwork as much as it does your individual prowess -- a solo adventurer is a dead adventurer."

"Since there are so many of you I'll split you into two groups." The cleric pointed at Vaeri, Rinka, and Wakana. "You three will be Group A. You will come with me. The rest of you wait here for a bulky man named Karak. You'll know him when you see him." He motioned to the named group to follow him and they made their way outside to a large hill behind the Guild.

The rest of the group only had to wait for a few minutes before a large bulky man barged into the Guild office. Between his messy facial hair and bulging muscles there was no question what kind of man Karak was. A musclehead through and through even his voice was loud.

"ALRIGHT YOU BABIES. MY NAME IS KARAK AND I WILL LEAD YOU TO GLORY. PREPARE TO LAY YOUR LIVES FOR YOUR COUNTRY. DO NOT WORRY, THE GODS WILL TAKE CARE OF YOUR WORTHLESS SOULS."

"Umm, Karak, you're just taking them to the Halls of Goop."

"HUH? IS THAT SO? OKAY. I WILL LEAD YOU TO GOOP HALLS. THE GODS PROBABLY WON'T TAKE CARE OF YOUR SOULS IF YOU DIE THERE." The large man lead the remaining four trainees out the door and onto horses.

Emily watched the trainees leave and then put her head in her hands in despair. "Why oh why is Karak the substitute exam proctor. Please come back soon Sasha."

- - -

The group arrived at what looked to be an abandoned temple. There were broken statues and pillars laying everywhere. Green slime could be seen on every object in the vicinity, and even the entrance to the temple dripped with the slime. Karak stopped his horse in front of the pool of slime that welcomed adventurers and turned to his charges.

"THIS IS THE HALLS OF GOOP. THIS GREEN STUFF IS GOOP. SOMETIMES GOOP IS DANGEROUS. SOMETIMES GOOP IS TRAP. SMASH CAREFULLY."

• ZCOverload and Spamamdorf like this

#2 rototom

rototom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 05:50 PM

Arnold kneels down and examines the aforementioned pool of slime. "I must say I pictured something different for the start of the adventurer's exam..." he mutters as he attempts to spout lore about the goop, hopefully identifying if it's deadly or something

#3 Spamamdorf

Spamamdorf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5753 posts
  • LocationLemu

Posted 25 October 2015 - 06:01 PM

Richard will thank Karak for taking us to the ruins. "Finally, a real taste of what it'll be like to be a full fledged adventurer" he says walking through the room. He'll try tossing a rock or some other such object into some of the goop ahead of him to see if it should dissolve, trigger a trap or what have you.

iyzTKCh.jpg

“I promised, remember? I said I would save you even if it meant fighting the entire world.” “Yes…you did.”

Othinus narrowed her eye as the boy held her in his arms. She looked happy. She looked truly happy.

“But you don’t have to worry. I was already saved from the moment you said that to me.”

#4 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

What You Need

• Moderators
  • 12599 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 25 October 2015 - 06:07 PM

Arnold notices the pool of slime slowly flowing upwards into the cave. Before he can think anything of it, Richard throws a rock into the goop ahead of him. Suddenly the pool of goop leaps from the ground towards Arnold's head, trying to suffocate him in its body.

It's clearly a Slime!

Spoiler Rolls

#5 rototom

rototom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 06:13 PM

Arnold, shocked by the attack, jumps backwards, away from the slime

#6 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

What You Need

• Moderators
  • 12599 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 25 October 2015 - 06:24 PM

Arnold tries to dodge the Slime but his kneeling position made his landing position awkward. He trips over himself and the slime lands on his face and begins trying to suffocate the poor cleric.

Spoiler Rolls

#7 fayrbrant

fayrbrant

Tsundere

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • LocationDeep in the Forest

Posted 26 October 2015 - 06:37 AM

Ein Zelretch

For having cleared the first three trialss of the Adventurer's Examination, Ein know for sure that all member of his team are talented, competent individuals. At the same time, however, he knew for a fact that competence would often lead to overconfidence; and that would not end well for at least 90% of the time.

The sight in front of him, perfectly pictures what he had feared the moment they enter the so-called 'Goop Cavern'. Slimes are not particularly strong monsters. Most adventurers would not even break a sweat fighting them. Thinking that, the party seems to have relaxed too much and forgot that it is ALWAYS the Paladin's role to stand in foremost position and act as the team's shield.

"... Haaaah. This is why I always tell you to stay in the back row Father Arnold," Ein said with a sigh as he rushed past the poor cleric and take a position to guard the path towards the rest of the team, in case more slime would show up.

Of course, helping Arnold break free from the slime was his (and probably everybody else's) first instinct. However, the task of removing the slime from Arnold's face is unsuitable for him and his longsword, which is why he decided to move in a way that prevents further mishaps instead and bequeath the honor of helping Arnold to the dexterous Imila.

Edited by fayrbrant, 26 October 2015 - 06:50 AM.

#8 Insane Soul

Insane Soul

Where are the MORALS tho!?

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7425 posts
  • LocationUmu

Posted 27 October 2015 - 11:21 PM

"Arara, but what exactly do I shoot!?" Imina shouted as she aimed her rifle at the poor Arnold getting attacked by the slime. Shooting first was her top, second and third priority, unfortunately-while for different reasons than the rest of the group-  it was a slime.

As she stood there aiming, Ein prioritized the safety of the whole team over Arnold's, it would be meaningless if a person was saved but compromised the entire group.

"Over the head...no...below? Ugh, stop moving Arnold!" she yelled as she hurried and tried to aid him by pulling him out from the slime, with Arnold away from it, she would be able to kill it without splattering the poor cleric's head.

#9 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

What You Need

• Moderators
  • 12599 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 28 October 2015 - 10:32 PM

Ein stood guard but nothing approached out of the cave. The ever-present goop seemed to be content spreading its mass over the walls of the temple.

Imina's assistance helps Arnold pull away from the slime, but the slime is persistent. The slime stretches out as it tries to keep its hold on Arnold's helmeted head. It takes one more pull from the cleric himself.

Spoiler Rolls

#10 Spamamdorf

Spamamdorf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5753 posts
  • LocationLemu

Posted 28 October 2015 - 11:00 PM

Richard hadn't expected the slime to react quite that quickly, it shot right at Arnold as he was trying to examine what the substance was. "Whoa there! Sorry about that one Arnold!" he called out as Ein ran past muttering about positioning of the party.

"Don't be too hard on Arnold there kid, we're all working together here and he was the most likely to figure out what it was, it was my fault for tossing the rock" Richard said to Ein as he walked over to Arnold. Imina had almost gotten the slime off Arnold but it seemed a stronger force would be necessary to get rid of it.

"Hold on to your hat Arnold!" Richard said grinning as he grabbed the Cleric by the feet and spun him around in a circle. Surely this would get rid of that damn slime.

• fayrbrant likes this

iyzTKCh.jpg

“I promised, remember? I said I would save you even if it meant fighting the entire world.” “Yes…you did.”

Othinus narrowed her eye as the boy held her in his arms. She looked happy. She looked truly happy.

“But you don’t have to worry. I was already saved from the moment you said that to me.”

#11 fayrbrant

fayrbrant

Tsundere

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • LocationDeep in the Forest

Posted 29 October 2015 - 09:57 AM

"This.. This is beyond overconfidence," Ein thought to himself as he saw Richard beginning to swing Arnold around. To the young half-elf, it seems that the biggest dangers his team are faced with.. are indeed themselves.

"Guys, come on. Is this the time to act this way? There are hundreds that failed the previous tests who would gladly take our place if they were given the chance, and this is how we're going to run our final test? Really?" was his thought, that he would definitely voice if he were a tad more boorish. Seeing that he's the youngest and least experienced, however, he kept his rants to himself and take the chance to chant his prayers to his Deity.

"Lord Zelretch, God of Strife and Salvation, your servant humbly beseech you. Grant me the power to protect my comrades.. From themselves, maybe. I don't know anymore at this point. Just.. Just give me strength to keep them alive."

Yep. This party is a messed up one indeed. Either you love it or you hate, all you can do is roll with it.

#12 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

What You Need

• Moderators
  • 12599 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 29 October 2015 - 09:32 PM

Richard's unconventional aid works as the slime slowly peels off Arnold's head and is scattered among the ruins. Now in pieces too small to matter, the slimes lose their aggression and go back to marking their territory on the broken pillars of the temple.

The spinning was too much for the already beaten-up priest, and upon trying to stand up after being released by Richard, felt nauseous and threw up all over the temple floor. On the bright side, none of the vomit got on his teammates.

The group could hear Karak dying of laughter in the distance wondering if they would be defeated at the entrance.

Spoiler Rolls

#13 rototom

rototom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 10:04 PM

"Urp... Thank you for the... assistance... Imina and Richard..." says Arnold slowly as he struggles to maintain his balance. As he does so, he quickly Discerns Realities around him, looking for any more threatening puddles, and moving away from them if possible.

#14 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

What You Need

• Moderators
  • 12599 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 29 October 2015 - 10:23 PM

Arnold looks around and cannot see any threats. As far as he can tell, the slimes have all reverted to minding their own business. Indeed, it seems like that the creatures are docile unless provoked by unwitting adventurers. Adventurers silly enough to throw rocks at mysterious piles of goop.

Spoiler Rolls

#15 Spamamdorf

Spamamdorf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5753 posts
  • LocationLemu

Posted 30 October 2015 - 01:58 PM

As Arnold keels over and empties the contents of his stomach Richard winces. Well, at least the slime is gone he thought to himself.

"There we go, you'll be good as new in no time" Richard said giving Arnold a slap on the back. He scanned the area for paths into the dungeon. They'd need to make their way through the dungeon sooner or later, and Richard didn't want to have any more slimes gather together and grab Arnold if he could avoid it.

iyzTKCh.jpg

#16 Insane Soul

Insane Soul

Where are the MORALS tho!?

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7425 posts
  • LocationUmu

Posted 30 October 2015 - 06:43 PM

"Do not be such a killjoy Ein, the more dangerous, the more exciting!" she said in a cheerful tone while she petted Mikhail . "Lets go and find more enemies Mikhail!" after her companion responded her call, they both went towards Richard, to help him find more paths into the dungeon.

Edited by Insane Soul, 30 October 2015 - 06:44 PM.

#17 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

What You Need

• Moderators
  • 12599 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 30 October 2015 - 11:11 PM

The group found the entrance to the dungeon by following the movement of the slime. It led them to two large stone doors. The door on the left had fallen to its side and had crumbled due to age. The slimes avoided it by entering the temple from the walls. The inscriptions were faded but there was enough space to climb into the temple over the broken door. The door on the right was in better shape being completely upright and too large to even think of moving. The age of the door showed with the carvings faded to the point where the only thing the group could make out was a carving of humanoids kneeling in front of an unreadable object or deity.

This doorway seemed to be the only entrance to the dungeon.

#18 rototom

rototom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 08:15 PM

"Very mysterious... there looks to only one way to proceed" murmurs Arnold as he attempts to decipher the faded runes on the left door

Edited by rototom, 02 November 2015 - 09:05 PM.

#19 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

What You Need

• Moderators
  • 12599 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 04 November 2015 - 12:36 AM

The inscriptions are too faded to show much, but Arnold manages to make out a few of the symbols. He determines that the original creators intended the temple as a seal as much as it was a place of worship. It encased a scary long-tongued beast that spit goop. This beast was the subject of the creators' offerings and who the temple was dedicated to. The inscriptions also warned of traps in the form of innocent-looking plants. The cleric could make out that there was also a pile of offerings that were routinely given to the long-tongued beast, but its location was unreadable.

The knowledge Arnold gained was useful, but he also knew that it may not be entirely useful. The nature of a dungeon was to mutate and evolve. There was no guarantee that the beast, traps, or the offerings remained.

Spoiler Rolls

#20 rototom

rototom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 01:45 AM

"These runes... they describe a terrible, slime-spewing monster inside this temple" announces Arnold, "The builders left offerings to it in hopes of containing it, but I can only assume things went wrong. Over-confidence is truly a grievous sin... heh heh heh..." 

Arnold walks back to the group, absent-mindedly brushing some goo from earlier off of his robes.

"Oh and I should mention, the runes depicted some plant-based traps. Imina, as a hunter, I can only assume you have encountered this sort of thing before?"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users