Feisty

• Moderators
  • 12,565 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 08 January 2016 - 02:48 PM

76932l.jpg

Plot Summary

Struggling manga author Satoru Fujinuma is beset by his fear to express himself. However, he has a supernatural ability of being forced to prevent deaths and catastrophes by being sent back in time before the incident occurred, repeating time until it is prevented. One day, he gets involved in an incident that has him framed as a murderer. Desperate to save the victim, he sends himself back in time only to find himself as a grade-schooler one month before fellow classmate Kayo Hinazuki went missing. Satoru now embarks on a new quest: to save Kayo and solve the mystery behind her disappearance.

(Source: MAL News)

PV

https://youtu.be/EBEsfTwxm8A

Studio

A-1 Pictures

Why You Should Watch

Boku Dake seems to be the only show this season that can break the 8.0/10 barrier. From what I remember of the manga (very little), it is a good mystery/thriller. At the very least it will be pretty/fun to watch.

I'd like to remind manga-readers to keep spoilers to a minimum.

• Hooded Crow likes this

#2 Hooded Crow

Hooded Crow

Robin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,746 posts
  • LocationLocation

Posted 08 January 2016 - 03:07 PM

This anime is literally my dream coming true. 

Haven't read the manga (not sure if I want to pick it up), but it seems i's going to be one of my favorite anime of the season.

Spoiler

Spoiler

S4wfsFP.jpg

#3 Otaku-N.

Otaku-N.

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationVarsity. Man do I like that term.

Posted 08 January 2016 - 03:35 PM

Preamble: 

The guy who does that "learn japanese in anime" thing covered this initial episode, so if you feel iffy about some of the translations, some of the transliterations are on the blog. All in all Horriblesubs are decent, apart from the ever-present mechanical feel with official subs. There's probably a couple of lines that don't quite have the same dramatic impact in English that I missed. Also the scanlated manga as a reference, but that has spoilers. 

For those who haven't, it's your choice whether or not to read the manga, though if you want to stop at the same point the episode ends it's until the end of chapter 6.

For those who have, the anime ending will coincide with the manga ending. We're going for a helluva rushed schedule here.

I think that's it. 

I'll be back with an actual opinion later. 

Edited by Otaku-N., 08 January 2016 - 03:39 PM.

JaAjRjC.png?1

Spoiler muh outdated stuffs

#4 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

Feisty

• Moderators
  • 12,565 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 08 January 2016 - 04:07 PM

I would recommend not reading the manga, to be honest. The weekly aspect makes the thrills more thrilling (vs. monthly waits that kill you inside).

The anime ending coinciding with the manga ending worries me a lot (especially since this is only 12 episodes), but there is no point judging it this early.

I thought that the first episode was done pretty well. It was nice to look at (what pilot episode isn't?) and the dialogue and interactions were decent. I also like how the series kind of makes you try to take in the environment a lot more because of the Revive effect. Sadly, you can't catch anything (really) since both Revive effects required additional information. You could only guess on a hunch -- but I suppose that mirrors Satoru's experience just fine.

I did read most of the manga (~12 months ago), but my vague recollections didn't stop me from enjoying it.

• Hooded Crow likes this

#5 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,284 posts
  • LocationWith my Khaleesi <3333

User's Awards

Posted 08 January 2016 - 04:29 PM

And as many have expected.....This is easily in the lead for AOTS just based off of first episodes alone

Absolutely brilliant stuff here....Great setup, good characters and already a very engaging and suspensful mystery

Epic ED too

Edited by Tokoya, 08 January 2016 - 04:31 PM.

iWo0nCc.gif

Nothing will stand in our way.....I will finish what you started....I will fulfill our destiny!

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#6 Zeando

Zeando

Samurai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,236 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 06:06 PM

really good first episode, shame this will be only 12 episodes long (but a thriller being longer may not have worked well in its favor)

didn't expect this to turn so grim so soon

when satoru came back in time into his kid self made me think of detective conan

so he's blocked into the past and even if he'll solve the problem he'll remain there? or will he move back to the starting time?

on one side it would suck to remain blocked, but on the bright side he would be able to live again his childhood with "future" knowledge, and be able to redo things differently

wonder if there will be more time jumps or if the whole story will be about this single important jump

(think i'm going to avoid myanimelist while following this, got spoilered too many times there whenever there was anything resembling a thriller)

Edited by Zeando, 08 January 2016 - 06:09 PM.

FQZQm2p.png
Forum Mafia Games

Spoiler The 4 ways of Discussion

#7 Athos

Athos

Wandering Escapist

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 06:54 PM

As much as I've seen this premise before in different ways, the way it was presented this time was engaging as ****. Right away I have a protagonist I want to root for, stakes, and a sense of urgency. Maybe even a time limit. The cassandra syndrome is always fun, so if I can just have a short, self-contained story with an ok ending, I'll be very happy with this.

And since this is likely one of those incredibly spoilable series, I won't be coming back until the end of the season. Cheers!

Edited by Athos, 08 January 2016 - 07:06 PM.

samisig.jpg

#8 gintokichimaru

gintokichimaru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • LocationDMV

Posted 08 January 2016 - 07:29 PM

I haven't and won't read the manga but I do worry about how the pacing will work if they plan to condense so much material into 12 episodes. At any rate this pilot with without a doubt the most captivating of the season, from the 4 or so that I've seen so far.
I'm kind of new to the mystery/thriller genre but after subete ga F I'll probably be watching more of these.

#9 Otaku-N.

Otaku-N.

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 12:57 AM

When I started watching this, within five minutes I stopped and put it off 'til I got my brother to watch it with me. One because I knew the show would be good and two because this vibed closer to the kind of East-Asian drama that he's usually into. Except not shitty. 

There's all the more reason to read the manga after the show's over cause it has a different feel to it. I'm actually a bit envious of you guys who have forgotten the events of the early chapters/ haven't read the manga. I'm gonna be blinded with constant comparisons going on in my head, to muddle my judgement. Also what DEW said. 

I would've been happier with 18 episodes, but I'm coming around to the idea of the anime getting straight to the point.  

Anyway.

Spoiler Go watch the episode.

All in all this was a solid premiere, and I hope you're all in for the long haul. 

Edited by Otaku-N., 09 January 2016 - 01:15 AM.

• DaEvilWithin and Tokoya like this

JaAjRjC.png?1

#10 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,871 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 04:52 AM

I haven't and won't read the manga but I do worry about how the pacing will work if they plan to condense so much material into 12 episodes.

If you haven't read the manga, how do you know there are so much material for 12 episodes?

Spoiler Top Favorite Male Manga Characters

#11 Zeando

Zeando

Samurai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,236 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 05:48 AM

thinking back on the episode i'm wondering what reason did have that yuuki guy in the past to hang around the kids playground

even if it may be too much of a random guess, it would be funny if he was aware of there being a kidnapper around so he was trying to have the kids stay more grouped or keep company with the solitary ones to discourage the kidnapper from targeting them since they're alone

being that the case or not, i can not think that satoru may have been kidnapped too if yuuki wasn't around with him then

FQZQm2p.png
Forum Mafia Games

Spoiler The 4 ways of Discussion

#12 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,284 posts

User's Awards

Posted 09 January 2016 - 09:01 AM

If you haven't read the manga, how do you know there are so much material for 12 episodes?

Depending on where you tread online, there have been a few manga readers that every season complain because an adaptation isn't 100% perfect and this happened to be the case for this series

iWo0nCc.gif

Nothing will stand in our way.....I will finish what you started....I will fulfill our destiny!

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#13 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

Feisty

• Moderators
  • 12,565 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 09 January 2016 - 01:28 PM

thinking back on the episode i'm wondering what reason did have that yuuki guy in the past to hang around the kids playground

Just off what we see in this episode, he seems unpopular and lonely? I'm assuming he genuinely wanted to be friends for now.

@Otaku-N.

I noticed the recycling, but it's not a bad thing. Creative ways to keep budget down and quality constant are nice. I'm not sure how much longer they can keep it up, though.

#14 Otaku-N.

Otaku-N.

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 11:50 PM

Spoiler Sub stuff

I'll probably remove this section once the actual fansub comparison people do it.

this happened to be the case for this series

Well yeah cause it's readily apparent. For people who read the manga.

@Otaku-N.

I noticed the recycling, but it's not a bad thing. 

I'm not trying to say that. It isn't bad, especially here when it's utilised for some form of narrative purpose. 

I'm actually struggling not to put it on a pedestal, because recycling like this isn't special in and of itself.

It's just one of those premises that points right to it.

It's a god-send for the artists working on it and I applaud them for taking advantage of it.  

As for the other concerns, I do worry about how lively they're going to make the children in the coming arcs. 

Edited by Otaku-N., 10 January 2016 - 12:53 AM.

• Tokoya likes this

JaAjRjC.png?1

#15 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,871 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 02:06 AM

Depending on where you tread online, there have been a few manga readers that every season complain because an adaptation isn't 100% perfect and this happened to be the case for this series

Heh? It's only been 1 episode. And gintokichimaru said he didn't read the manga

Edited by Fulmine, 10 January 2016 - 02:06 AM.

#16 gintokichimaru

gintokichimaru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • LocationDMV

Posted 10 January 2016 - 06:49 AM

https://www.mangaupd...s.html?id=78396

7 Volumes is a lot of material. That's about 70 (weekly) chapters and in this case 34 monthly chapters. Most anime I've watched tend to go for 1 episode +/= 2 weekly chapters. So if they're covering about 70 chapters in 12 episodes and the episodes are the same length then that's almost 6 weekly chapters, or in this case 3 monthly chapters, in each episode. 

For reference FMA: Brotherhood, which I admit I didn't watch but most people seem to regard as one of the best anime, was 64 episodes adapted from 108 monthly chapters. That's less than 2 chapters for each episode.

Also given that this is a mystery and drama anime rather than an action adventure anime it would make more sense, at least to me, for them to draw out the adaptation and keep the suspense instead of cramming more material into each episode. 

#17 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,871 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 08:15 AM

7 Volumes is a lot of material. That's about 70 (weekly) chapters and in this case 34 monthly chapters. Most anime I've watched tend to go for 1 episode +/= 2 weekly chapters. So if they're covering about 70 chapters in 12 episodes and the episodes are the same length then that's almost 6 weekly chapters, or in this case 3 monthly chapters, in each episode.

For reference FMA: Brotherhood, which I admit I didn't watch but most people seem to regard as one of the best anime, was 64 episodes adapted from 108 monthly chapters. That's less than 2 chapters for each episode.

Yeah but not like the pacing of all manga are the same, also not all monthly (or even weekly though less difference) chapters have the same length, so unit like weekly chapter or monthly chapter doesn't really mean much. One Piece or Bleach for example...pacing of the manga is slow as hell (although dialogue-wise there may be a lot that happen and raise questions). And then Hellsing, which is monthly...but the number of pages per chapter is as many as that of a weekly one. Hirano Kouta and Togashi must be soul mates in previous life.

And a FMA chapter is as long as 3 One Piece weekly chapters so...not much difference, is it?

Anw, I just check how long the manga chapter is. About 32 pages per chapter on average. FMA generally has 40 pages/chapter so...

Also given that this is a mystery and drama anime rather than an action adventure anime it would make more sense, at least to me, for them to draw out the adaptation and keep the suspense instead of cramming more material into each episode.

I see. But wouldn't the other way work, too? Drawing stuff out has a risk: if you don't deliver at the end, the dragging on will feel really really bad. Some of Urasawa's manga are examples. Sex, too. :lolxg:

Edited by Fulmine, 10 January 2016 - 08:16 AM.

• Otaku-N. likes this

#18 gintokichimaru

gintokichimaru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • LocationDMV

Posted 10 January 2016 - 09:00 AM

Yeah but not like the pacing of all manga are the same, also not all monthly (or even weekly though less difference) chapters have the same length, so unit like weekly chapter or monthly chapter doesn't really mean much. One Piece or Bleach for example...pacing of the manga is slow as hell (although dialogue-wise there may be a lot that happen and raise questions). And then Hellsing, which is monthly...but the number of pages per chapter is as many as that of a weekly one. Hirano Kouta and Togashi must be soul mates in previous life.

And a FMA chapter is as long as 3 One Piece weekly chapters so...not much difference, is it?

Anw, I just check how long the manga chapter is. About 32 pages per chapter on average. FMA generally has 40 pages/chapter so...

Of course not all manga keep the same pacing and the anime adaptations of a given manga may not keep the same pacing. Because I haven't read Boku Dake I can't speak to how fast or slow the pacing is.

All of the big 3's anime are riddled with filler but for the first few arcs without filler the pacing was generally consistent across all of them. And each episode corresponded to 2-3 chapters.

If we were to count the pages that's between 36-57 pages worth of content (18-19 pages per chapter).

For FMA and the Brotherhood adaptation it's roughly 67-68 pages per episode (108/64*40).

For Boku Dake, it's at least 93 pages per episode (35/12*32). That's going with the claim that the anime will end with the manga.

#19 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,284 posts

User's Awards

Posted 10 January 2016 - 09:07 AM

Heh? It's only been 1 episode. And gintokichimaru said he didn't read the manga

I read up to where this episode ended in the manga to compare because I wanted to see why a buddy of mine was so adamant on hating it and they kinda left out and changed some things, but even then imo, it still worked out really well

iWo0nCc.gif

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#20 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,871 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 09:07 AM

Of course not all manga keep the same pacing and the anime adaptations of a given manga may not keep the same pacing. Because I haven't read Boku Dake I can't speak to how fast or slow the pacing is.

Yeah, that's my point. So you know nothing about the content of the manga so how do you know there's too much material to cram in 12 episodes?

All of the big 3's anime are riddled with filler but for the first few arcs without filler the pacing was generally consistent across all of them. And each episode corresponded to 2-3 chapters.

And that's why it's slow.

If we were to count the pages that's between 36-57 pages worth of content (18-19 pages per chapter).

Actually One Piece and Bleach only have 16 pages/chapter

For FMA and the Brotherhood adaptation it's roughly 67-68 pages per episode (108/64*40).

For Boku Dake, it's at least 93 pages per episode (35/12*32). That's going with the claim that the anime will end with the manga.

That's why the pacing is important. Like I said, pages or weekly/monthly chapter do not work as a unit. They are not exactly the same.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users