• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#141 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19167 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 12:38 PM

Am continuing this. At episode 6 now (have to look away from the screen when I rolled down to the reply box to avoid seeing spoiler, haha). This adaption has been awesome but clearly once again I can't escape my streak of watching/reading mystery-genre works where there just has to be a retarded character. It's the age-old formula: Good Will + Stupidity = Destruction. You've gotta have brain, Airi (assuming she's innocent). Intetion alone is not enough...

And I'm kinda eye-rolling shocked when it's revealed one of the 3 murdered victims is also in Satoru's group of friends, Hiromi (didn't realize the one in the book is the same one. I swear cute characters are too similar sometimes when it comes to animanga). The way Satoru has been going on solely about Kayo up until now without mentioning or thinking about Hiromi when it comes to the murders is really fucking weird. Hope it's explained in future episodes otherwise our mangaka is one hell of a have-girl-and-forget-friend case... 

Spoiler Favorite battle shounen's male characters

#142 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19167 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 05:51 AM

Finished! Solid 8/10. The downdise is the antagonist's execution and Kayo's role after Satoru's wake-up is kinda ''small'' for my liking.

#143 death2boredom

death2boredom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:52 PM

Just watched these videos and since @Fulmine bumped this thread up I might as well share them. They really added something more to the series for me-

https://www.youtube....h?v=bOB4_Bs9A0k

https://www.youtube....h?v=dqJYIHPeORI

https://www.youtube....h?v=XjzW81ucoaM

#144 whatamelon

whatamelon

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 10:00 AM

It is obvious from the middle part of the manga that yashiro sensei is the kidnapper. However, I think the real mystery is whether Satoru is capable enough to save the children using his knowledge from the future to alter the present. It is exciting how Satoru guesses which course of action is best to take in ruining the kidnapper's plans given his limitations of a child body and not acting suspiciously from the future.

The manga also tackles mature themes such as the abusive relationship between Kayo and her mother which I rarely see in mangas,  plus the lack of good mystery mangas releasing these days,  Boku Dake is a refreshing page turner that I consider a 9/10.

tan3pu.png

#145 azer_moli

azer_moli

• Moderators
  • 3097 posts
  • LocationFrance

User's Awards

Posted 19 August 2016 - 10:28 AM

It is obvious from the middle part of the manga that yashiro sensei is the kidnapper.

During almost the whole anime, I was hoping it would not be him. I tried to find so many excuses for him, and I was jumping at any possible other culprit... 

And I agree with everything else you said :)

50c34dd1-274c-4550-9d6d-d6edce927b63_zps

#146 LoneWolfStark

LoneWolfStark

He Who Does Not Post

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4387 posts
  • LocationSomewhere Lonely

Posted 19 August 2016 - 05:16 PM

The thing about Boku Dake is that it isn't much of a mystery. It was a thriller first and foremost and it succeeded at that with flying colors. I don't think it was ever meant to be a true and blue whodunnit because there weren't many suspects in the first place. There was a few more in the manga unlike the anime that made Yashiro literally the only person it could have been, but even in the manga it was pretty obvious it was him if you know the first thing about sociopaths. Doesn't change how good the execution was with him, especially after we see his background in the manga. That was some sick shit and creepy because there was some realism to it.

What I like about Boku Dake is you get different pros and cons with both versions, something you don't really see that often. The anime and manga are both good for their own reasons, and the endings both of them went with where also good in their own ways. The manga is a more complete story but the anime brings some fantastic art and music direction to the series that elevate some of the original material (as the videos linked above point out) at the cost of having to cut out some of the narrative to fit it into 12 episodes. I could probably go on for paragraphs about anime vs manga because both of them were that good.

• whatamelon likes this

Pettanko FC | To Aru Majutsu no Index FC

PtQ6aHD.png

"I won't make any excuses for myself. No matter what sins I must bear, I will continue my fight to the end."

Spoiler The List

Damanos: Well, that's what I mean
Damanos: It's "based" on the stepping on somebody's shadow thing
Damanos: But then Kubo bullshits however he wants beyond that
LoneWolfStark: YYH did that better
Damanos: "YYH did that better"
Damanos: Bleach in a nutshell

-Damanos, September 24, 2015

#147 whatamelon

whatamelon

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 01:43 AM

The thing about Boku Dake is that it isn't much of a mystery. It was a thriller first and foremost and it succeeded at that with flying colors. I don't think it was ever meant to be a true and blue whodunnit because there weren't many suspects in the first place. There was a few more in the manga unlike the anime that made Yashiro literally the only person it could have been, but even in the manga it was pretty obvious it was him if you know the first thing about sociopaths. Doesn't change how good the execution was with him, especially after we see his background in the manga. That was some sick shit and creepy because there was some realism to it.

What I like about Boku Dake is you get different pros and cons with both versions, something you don't really see that often. The anime and manga are both good for their own reasons, and the endings both of them went with where also good in their own ways. The manga is a more complete story but the anime brings some fantastic art and music direction to the series that elevate some of the original material (as the videos linked above point out) at the cost of having to cut out some of the narrative to fit it into 12 episodes. I could probably go on for paragraphs about anime vs manga because both of them were that good.

I'm sorry I only read the manga and I wasn't able to watch the anime.

Is there really a difference between the two with regards to plot and how is the ending different? o.o 

tan3pu.png

#148 LoneWolfStark

LoneWolfStark

He Who Does Not Post

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4387 posts
  • LocationSomewhere Lonely

Posted 20 August 2016 - 02:38 AM

Is there really a difference between the two with regards to plot and how is the ending different? o.o 

The anime left out a few plot details that didn't change the overall story from the manga, but after Satoru woke up from his coma in the anime, it strayed away from the manga. Instead of Airi stopping those photographers from taking incriminating pictures of Satoru with Kumi, it was Yashiro, who started befriending amnesic Satoru. Some time later Yashiro planned to murder Kumi and frame Satoru for it, and took Satoru up to the roof of the hospital they were staying in to push the wheelchair-bound Satoru off the roof and make it look like he committed suicide out of guilt from "killing" Kumi.

However, we learn Satoru regained his memories before this murder attempt when he met Kayo again and goads Yashiro into going through with pushing him over the edge of the roof. In the end, Yashiro can't bring himself to do it because waiting for him to return became his reason to live and Satoru filled the hole in his heart, which Satoru was able to predict would be the case. So Satoru pushes himself off the roof anyway and Yashiro tries to prevent it, only for Satoru to safely fall into one of those inflatable stunt air bags, with Kenya and Sawada there having taken a compromising photo of Yashiro "pushing" him off the roof, getting evidence of attempted murder to put him away. We then see Satoru having a reunion with all his childhood friends in Hokkaido, and the final scene is him running into Airi by chance at the same bridge they hid under earlier in the series.

• whatamelon likes this

Pettanko FC | To Aru Majutsu no Index FC

PtQ6aHD.png

"I won't make any excuses for myself. No matter what sins I must bear, I will continue my fight to the end."

Spoiler The List

Damanos: Well, that's what I mean
Damanos: It's "based" on the stepping on somebody's shadow thing
Damanos: But then Kubo bullshits however he wants beyond that
LoneWolfStark: YYH did that better
Damanos: "YYH did that better"
Damanos: Bleach in a nutshell

-Damanos, September 24, 2015

#149 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19167 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 06:42 AM

Doesn't change how good the execution was with him, especially after we see his background in the manga. That was some sick shit and creepy because there was some realism to it.

Pretty much the most disappointing thing about the anime and what I meant when I said the downside is the antagonist's execution. Occasionally I saw some 1-season anime with 13 episodes. What's with that? If only Boku Dake had 1 more episode to do his background like the manga does then I would rate this 9/10 (and not 10/10 only for personal liking).

#150 diezdragon

diezdragon

Protagonist of Life

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1489 posts
  • LocationJapan

User's Awards

Posted 20 August 2016 - 10:16 AM

Aside from the plot differences mentioned, I would also like to mention that it is an exquisitely produced anime. In fact, of non-movies, it might have the highest production value I've ever seen in japanese anime. The music, voice actors, direction, writing all flowed together perfectly to create this. In comparison to the manga, I would say it is these factors that truly allow this production to shine rather than the story. I would personally recommend it as a must-see almost if you've read the manga and enjoyed it, it's just that well produced.

• azer_moli and LoneWolfStark like this

Fool's gold can always buy a fool's services.

Spoiler Retired fool quotes

#151 KittyGoesMeowMeow

KittyGoesMeowMeow

Crack Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3757 posts
  • LocationMurdering the RG

Posted 20 August 2016 - 02:36 PM

One of the best series this year. It's on CR, go watch it! 

#152 whatamelon

whatamelon

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 08:24 PM

@Fullmine So the the anime has a rushed pacing? Hmm..since so many thought highly of the anime, I must watch it now and see for myself;)

tan3pu.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users