• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,941 posts
  • LocationWith my Khaleesi <3333

User's Awards

Posted 10 January 2016 - 08:09 PM

77907.jpg

Plot Summary

When a certain man is released from prison, he knows exactly where he's heading first. After falling in love with a traditional comic storyteller's rendition of the story called "Shinigami," he is determined to become his apprentice. The performer, Yakumo, has never taken an apprentice before, but to everyone's surprise, he accepts the eager ex-prisoner, nicknaming him "Yotaro."

As Yotaro happily begins his new life, he meets others in Yakumo's life, including Yakumo's ward Konatsu. Konatsu was the daughter of a famous storyteller, and Yakumo took her in after her father's tragic death. Konatsu loved her father's storytelling, and would love to become a performer in her own right—but that path is not available for women.

Genre: Josei, Drama
Studio: Studio Deen

Why you should watch
This anime so far has easily been the hidden gem of the season particularly because of how unique it is.....I don't want to really spoil anything but I highly suggest that everyone gives at least gives it a shot

Edited by Tokoya, 10 January 2016 - 08:20 PM.

iWo0nCc.gif

Nothing will stand in our way.....I will finish what you started....I will fulfill our destiny!

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#2 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,941 posts

User's Awards

Posted 11 January 2016 - 07:54 PM

Spoiler My thoughts on Episode 1

• death2boredom likes this

iWo0nCc.gif

Nothing will stand in our way.....I will finish what you started....I will fulfill our destiny!

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#3 death2boredom

death2boredom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 11 January 2016 - 08:50 PM

I think its interesting and unique, but it definitely feels more like something I'd read. Of course though, with no experience with Rakugo I wouldn't be able to experience it as well as I will with the animation and voice acting.

Edited by death2boredom, 11 January 2016 - 08:52 PM.

• Tokoya likes this

#4 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,633 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 06:18 AM

Watched this!

I have watched English Rakugo before and read around a bit about the art and like it. So besides the romance stuff at least I have another subject matter to be interested in.

Anw, the first long episode is satisfying. Deen's animation is generally among the decent-good range and this is no different. Though I wish it was a bit better. Konatsu is pretty alright. The pacing and story are also good. Doesn't seem to be complicated and great execution is all it needs. This kind of show relies on characters and atmosphere in my experience. And the directing, of course.

Also the interaction/chemistry between Yotaro and Konatsu is delicately set up for Fulmine's taste. Konatsu is not full tsundere and mature enough (so far) that she can have normal conversation with Yotaro as well as mentoring him. The lukewarm yet caring feeling, plus acknowledgement for potential, is really nice.

• Tokoya likes this

Spoiler Favorite male characters in manga/hwa/hua

#5 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,941 posts

User's Awards

Posted 15 January 2016 - 09:02 AM

Watched this!
I have watched English Rakugo before and read around a bit about the art and like it. So besides the romance stuff at least I have another subject matter to be interested in.

Anw, the first long episode is satisfying. Deen's animation is generally among the decent-good range and this is no different. Though I wish it was a bit better. Konatsu is pretty alright. The pacing and story are also good. Doesn't seem to be complicated and great execution is all it needs. This kind of show relies on characters and atmosphere in my experience. And the directing, of course.

Also the interaction/chemistry between Yotaro and Konatsu is delicately set up for Fulmine's taste. Konatsu is not full tsundere and mature enough (so far) that she can have normal conversation with Yotaro as well as mentoring him. The lukewarm yet caring feeling, plus acknowledgement for potential, is really nice.

I'm very happy to see that it resonated with you and that you liked it :D

Episode 2 comes out today (Every Friday) and the length of each episode will be the standard 24 minute length in total

Edited by Tokoya, 15 January 2016 - 09:03 AM.

iWo0nCc.gif

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#6 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,941 posts

User's Awards

Posted 15 January 2016 - 07:13 PM

Spoiler Episode 2

Edited by Tokoya, 16 January 2016 - 12:28 AM.

iWo0nCc.gif

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#7 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,633 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 04:44 AM

That boring Rakugo is half-way done. Well should not expect more than that.

Spoiler Favorite male characters in manga/hwa/hua

#8 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,941 posts

User's Awards

Posted 22 January 2016 - 04:36 PM

That was quite an OP lol...Defintely the most unique one I've seen in quite a while and I kinda liked it xD

But man this episode was sooooooo gooooooood!!!!!! And the pacing sped up a bit too but it was still perfect and flowed so damn well even with the jumps in time

Shin-san (I'm just gonna call him that since it's easier to remember and suits him best imo) as usual continues to be my bread and butter of this series with his enthusiasm and just great personality but Kikuhiko's scenes with him are always #1

Seeing how they became even closer and how Shin-san is the reason why he fell in love with Rakugo and why he has this drive to get better regardless of his handicap is just beautiful and the scene when they made that pinky promise and then at the end when they reunited after the war was just heartwarming and I'm pretty sure I cried a little when they hugged lol

But man development wise Kikuhiko is getting even more likable because seeing his relationships first with that cute girl that he fell in love with and then the country girl leading up to how he ended things with them made me pretty sad and it was worse seeing how he felt as if he had no future in Rakugo and would never amount to anything special since his true family disappeared was pretty tragic

Overall this show continues to be neck and neck with ERASED for me and I'm just really looking forward to seeing what happens next with this new lady that appeared at the end and I WANNA SEE OUR BOYS GO TO THAT BROTHEL DAMMIT LOL (It sucks when these episodes end TwT)

I also really liked how we got more into the political side of Rakugo too during that time period so I hope to see more of that as well as some more possible romance bits with Shin and Kiku (Man he really deserves love imo)

Edited by Tokoya, 22 January 2016 - 04:49 PM.

iWo0nCc.gif

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#9 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,941 posts

User's Awards

Posted 29 January 2016 - 05:25 PM

I'm now convinced that each and every episode of this series will be 10/10

Shin-san's performance was great and super funny but my goodness Kiku gets all the ladies lol....Miyokichi is hot and her personality makes her so sexy, but I died seeing how Yakumo even tools around with her xD

I wonder if we're gonna get to see who it is that Shin ends up marrying

iWo0nCc.gif

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#10 Otaku-N.

Otaku-N.

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • LocationVarsity. Man do I like that term.

Posted 30 January 2016 - 09:28 PM

Scattered thoughts about ep 1, which apparently was a re-air/redo of OVA 1. Props to Toko for the pick. 

I admit was a bit apprehensive about this one starting out. I got confused with the "names" until I realised it was the whole "eschewing given names for titles" thing. Somehow I had trouble with which character was actually speaking toward the end of Yotaro's (Kyoji?) own rakugo. 

Actually this is the first time at all that I'd even heard of rakugo. Enlightens me to origins of stuff like Drama CDs to an extent.

Spoiler

That was longer than I thought it would be. TL;DR:

Good show on airing the 10 minute "Dekigokoro". 

I like the characters, this show has a good protagonist. 

Edited by Otaku-N., 30 January 2016 - 09:30 PM.

• Tokoya likes this

JaAjRjC.png?1

Spoiler muh outdated stuffs

#11 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,941 posts

User's Awards

Posted 05 February 2016 - 04:50 PM

Miyokichi showing that not only are boys are great characters

The beginning with the prostitutes was funny but the part after was pretty sweet with not only Shin trying to get Kiku to gain confidence but with those super cute scenes that Kiku had with Miyokichi - Such a great dynamic together

The performance was different but still cool to see anyway, and especially the end of it was great becausw the way Kiku just came to life there was just beautiful

I have a feeling that Miyokichi will indirectly cause something bad to happen to the boys though sometime in the future and the PV makes it seem like some other girl is coming on to Kiku maybe?

iWo0nCc.gif

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#12 death2boredom

death2boredom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 05 February 2016 - 11:56 PM

This really is an amazing series. Every episode leaves me wanting more.

#13 KittyGoesMeowMeow

KittyGoesMeowMeow

Crack Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,757 posts
  • LocationMurdering the RG

Posted 07 February 2016 - 10:37 PM

Caught up on this:

---I half expected to see Miyokicchi and Kiku in bed together or something sexy....

#14 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,941 posts

User's Awards

Posted 12 February 2016 - 05:16 PM

Nice to see that Kiku finally realized why he wants to do Rakugo :) Both he and Shin-chan had great performances

Miyokichi continues to be fantastic as well

iWo0nCc.gif

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#15 death2boredom

death2boredom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 12 February 2016 - 09:42 PM

Copied a comment I made on anilinkz. Its just what I think and I can't think of another way to put it lol-

Yakumo/Kiku really does have a beautiful fox like smile and eyes, I just love to see the expressions the animators create with that face. I love all the characters in this series which makes knowing that Bon dies such a hard thing to have in mind with every episode. With Miyokichi especially its hard to maintain a positive and calm outlook because despite her being so fun and wonderful, women are a source of turmoil in these kinds of stories.

With all that though, I really am just loving this series.

• Tokoya likes this

#16 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,941 posts

User's Awards

Posted 19 February 2016 - 10:08 PM

I feel so bad for Miyokichi :(

iWo0nCc.gif

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#17 Otaku-N.

Otaku-N.

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • LocationVarsity. Man do I like that term.

Posted 20 February 2016 - 09:09 PM

Some small part of me hopes next week is going to go in another direction. The rest uses logic.

Dammit Bon.

JaAjRjC.png?1

Spoiler muh outdated stuffs

#18 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,941 posts

User's Awards

Posted 26 February 2016 - 04:35 PM

Damn old farts be jelly of Shin-chan because he's so good and has the right idea.....Dem Shin and Miyokichi backstories tho TwT

Thankfully Yakumo #7 was able to get him to be promoted alongside Kiku who's also doing better and better with each episode...I liked the talk that Shin and Kiku had in that club a lot too and their plan for the future is pretty cool imo

Other than that, the stuff with Miyokichi was even more sadder than last week and I can't believe that Kiku is going to toss her aside like that knowing full well that this woman deeply loves him

Next week looks like it's going to be even not brutal in more ways than one and I'm scared :(

iWo0nCc.gif

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#19 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,941 posts

User's Awards

Posted 04 March 2016 - 04:56 PM

This episode brought out so many emotions in me

First of all, this was easily the most intense and depressing episode by far and the way that it was handled was really great from beginning to end

Secondly, to every single last one of the simple minded, one dimensional, jealous and salty ass old farts in the Rakugo business and including Yakumo......FUCK YOU AND I HOPE YOU ALL BURN IN HELL....Man I was so happy to see Shin take that bitch of a presidents' signature play and killed it

Thirdly, Shin-chan didn't deserve any of the bullshit he went through because of those old idiots, the man spoke to the truth to them all and had a great point too, but as usual and even IRL, there are always those old heads that refuse to admit when they're wrong, evolve and get with the times....Yes being old fashioned has it merits, but being in denial over change is just stupid

Part of me wants to feel bad for Kiku, but at the same time I'm pissed off by him because he practically became a sellout to these old men and took Miyo and Shin for granted all this time....Yeah what he said to Miyokichi was justified, but he broke that girl and did it so heartlessly....But at least he was honest to Yakumo when they had that talk

I'm glad that she and Shin left because like Kiku said, nobody deserved to be the next Yakumo other than him but alas, as per usual in any society, it all comes to down to a person's social status and class regardless of the fact of if you have talent or not....I can't believe this guy was cheated and destroyed like that in the end

This episode pissed me the fuck off lol, but in a good way, and it only goes to show just how great it is.....Not surprised to see that our two broken souls have found each other and are expecting (Going by the PV we now know the parentage of our favorite fiery red haired girl)

I always liked the thought of them getting together so this made me happy and their scenes together were hot af lol, I wonder I many times they smashed xD

Regardless of all that, it looks like we're in for a timeskip so I'm curious to see how things have changed.....I'm not even mad by the fact that Shin left and turned his back to them all because I would probably do the same especially after that talk in the ending scene

Edited by Tokoya, 05 March 2016 - 12:01 AM.

iWo0nCc.gif

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#20 death2boredom

death2boredom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 05 March 2016 - 01:01 AM

The moment I've been dreading approaches. The fall of two great characters due to the inherent flaws that were a part of what made them such great characters. Even Kiku could have fallen pray to his own flaws a few times throughout this series, and its in part thanks to the two characters who are losing their way that he could. Unfortunately Kiku isn't as good at supporting or guiding others on his own so he is unable to repay the debt with anything more than a few logical words which a lost person is unable or more so unwilling to take in.

• Tokoya likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users