DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,892 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 03:46 PM

Previous Thread

Last Few Posts:

he left out quite a lot of the novels that are in the continuity. Which is kinda dumb, considering the purpose of this video...

Novels are still in the continuity? I thought they were non-canoned. :psyduck:

The novels that were released before Disney acquired Star Wars are non-canon. But Disney released new Novels, which are all canon, like everything else they released since the acquisition.

This was pretty funny lol

https://youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=i0IJqIzO_YM

This

And as I've pointed out already, MakingStarWars and SWNN both two of the biggest Star Wars websites there is, both of which are the leading places to go to for everything related to Star Wars news etc have all done polls in their respective forums asking users about their opinions regarding the films and majority of them were positive

Even on YouTube, there are more positive reviews than negative

Come on now @Ace1225, people don't go and watch a movie more than once if they hate it.....The numbers says it all

I don't think it's possible to say how many people liked or disliked it for a fact one way or the other. I think there are people all across the board and that trying to present an argument for one side or the other as a fact when there are good and bad reviews on sites all over the web is somewhat silly. And really that goes for any of the previous films as well. Box office numbers really then don't mean much to me at all. You could've hated the film and thought it was the worst film in history, but you still paid money for it (Or someone did so you could get in). Whether you like the film or not you've then boosted the box office numbers. Hence my earlier example with Iron Man 3. Great reviews from "professionals". 10th highest grossing film of all time, with only Age of Ultron surpassing it in regards to the MCU. Does that then make it the most popular? It raises the possibility, but certainly not automatically and I think if we directly asked people or just did a quick google search you'd find a sizeable number that didn't think it was, just like there's a sizeable number of fans that disliked Force Awakens.

As to why it's not in the Star Wars thread it started with a comment that grew into this lol

EDIT: I didn't say that people did. But be realistic with yourself. First and foremost various people that loved the film went and watched it more than once. I've seen some say they've already seen it 3 times in theaters and you yourself acknowledged that people went and did that. That then counts for 3 tickets purchased. Have 3 people do that and you have 9 tickets. Have 3 people do that in every state and you have 450 tickets. Then you can take that higher to the various countries showing the film. My point being that one person can very easily contribute to that multiple times. That still only counts as 1 person that likes the film itself.

There's then the fact that it's Star Wars. The hype for this film was through the roof. People waited for this all year. Tickets were sold out. People stood in the cold for showings that wouldn't start for another hour. The amount of people that went and saw it just once opening weekend was massive and all of those people would have contributed to the box office without anything having to do with whether or not they liked or hated it. Assuming Wikipedia is accurate the film made $57 mill on the Thursday night previews alone. That right there is a record and says nothing about how many people actually liked or hated the film. It's a testament to the brand name, the company name, and excellent marketing. Financially, this film was never going to fail regardless of how good or bad it was.

According to wikipedia again, "On its opening day, the film grossed $119.1 million from 14,300 screens, marking the biggest single and opening day record". Again, this says nothing about who liked or didn't like the film. All it does is say how many people went to see it and spent money doing so. No one could have spent a dime on a ticket after that and the film would already have broken records. And this doesn't take into account any fans that might have gone on Thusrday and then Friday as well. Box office scores can definitely tell you a lot, but they certainly don't say "it all". If that were true you'd have to assume that Iron Man 3 was the second most popular MCU film or that this was even the most popular Star Wars film, when there are a variety of factors that then go into how many people go to see the movie itself and lead to it earning more or less than other films in the franchise.

I'm gonna refer to my other post for this one but to elaborate further on what I said there

There are some guys that I've been following on YouTube for a while that does really great death battle series and explanations etc for Star Wars and they're all diehard fanboys for the EU etc so they were salty about it getting axed bla bla. But basically, they all went to see the film (Its about 6 of them I think....Or 5, I can't remember) and I think all of them said that they didn't like it, but that was because they missed some things and needed to see it again and upon their second screenings of the film, they didn't come to love the movie but they ended up liking it enough whereas they didn't hate it and acknowledged that it was a good.movie but with flaws (All except one of them who still hates it)

But where I'm going with this, is that this perfectly exemplifies what I'm trying to say to you which is

1. Yes there are a lot of people that didn't like the film, but be that as it may, upon watching it again, a lot of those things such as it being an ANH ripoff becomes more than apparent of actually not being a case and upon watching closely, a lot of people started to drop this as being a negative for a variety of reasons

2. Back to what I said about the sales, if this movie garned as much hate as you think it did, it would not have made these numbers and I'm not talking OP Weekend because that's that's while different thing in itself.....Nobody is bored or masochistic enough to go and watch a movie they hated more than once yet alone twice

Dude, you really need to stop using anecdotal evidence and broad generalizations to prove what is a tenuous point at the end of the day. The argument is pretty one sided at this point with you making general assumptions based on specific trends you've seen. Ace did the same but he was never trying to prove that there was more hate than adoration, he was just arguing that there is definitely a lot of people who also disliked it. There really is no need to be so defensive, it's just a movie. :laugh:

1. Agreed, because that definitely happens for all films with people changing their minds. However there are also people that continue to dislike it lol I don't do anything different than you. I'm a diehard Star Wars and EU fan myself so i've seen people that loved it, liked it, changed their mind, and just plain hated it on pretty much every site i've been on.

2. As I pointed out in the other thread, in terms of box office sales you have to factor in the number of people rewatching it for one, which boosts the sales, and then the number of people that watched it on what days. As I said, 3 people in 50 states rewatching the film 3 times is 450 tickets. Assume that tickets are $10 a pop and that's $4,500 (Assuming my math is right lmfao I admit it's not my strong suit and i'm not using a calculator). I'm not arguing for a lot of people rewatching the film, but I will say that some people do rewatch films they hated. Not because they enjoy doing so, but for reasons such as family, girlfriends, outings with friends, etc. Personally, and i'm not using this as proof of how many did this, I saw Age of Ultron twice when I didn't really think it was all that great, certainly a few rungs below the previous one. I saw it once with friends and then a different group of friends wanted to see it as well, so I saw it twice. And I would've done that whether I liked it or hated it, because it's what the friends I was with wanted to do and we were just hanging out and bored.

But honestly, I can agree to disagree on it because this has definitely gone on way longer than I would've liked, and I have a homework assignment I need to finish, and then various errands to run and friends to see after. Peace. B)

Its not broad generalizing by the slightest if you actually have been following things closely like I have (Collides Movie Talk is a great example of how professional analysts comes up with these using the actual numbers as well as their own experiences because these guys has seen it like 4+ times mainly to interact with people and observe plus personal enjouyment etc

But nobody is arguing that a lot of people did not hate the film lol, I'm arguing that the hate =/= equal to how many people liked it

Even though it may seem like it, I'm not mad lol but yeah same here on all accounts of the bolded xD

Later dude (Also I might not be able to watch Super tonight depending on whenever I get back home so keep a look out on news regarding this Gohan thing, although I imagine that Perucho will be on top of things)

I watch practically all collider movie talk episodes as well as jedi council and heroes and using them as proof of adoration/hate for a movie still isn't more than anecdotal evidence since they look at sales figures and interact mainly with fans who'll give a mostly homogeneous response. You're really not succeeding in proving anything without using empirical evidence so it's best to just drop it.

Not really since the numbers + general reviews/reactions, + stats etc like DM said pretty much says it all, whether you all chose to admit it or not

I used Collider as an example of how using stats you can find out these things fot example, like I said in my last post in the MCU thread, Star Wars broke the 3-4 consecutive sales record which has never been done before

NOTE: @Everyone - You're wrong. TFA is awesome. :P
  • Tokoya and Raiden like this

Kubo's announcement will be his new work will be called Tide; not as strong as bleach but does its trolling in a more colorful fashion! - arcane_chaos

Spoiler

#2 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,937 posts
  • LocationWith my Khaleesi <3333

User's Awards

Posted 07 February 2016 - 11:04 AM

LMFAO :lolxg: :lolxg: :lolxg:

T6JMUKql.jpg
  • DarkNemesis, waleuska, Raiden and 3 others like this

iWo0nCc.gif

Nothing will stand in our way.....I will finish what you started....I will fulfill our destiny!

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#3 Royal_King

Royal_King

Shinninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts
  • LocationTrinidad

Posted 07 February 2016 - 02:07 PM

$2 Billion Today for the Force Awakens. 

• Tokoya and Raiden like this

HXZmyoy.jpg

A Champion of Champions may not be a Hero

#4 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,937 posts

User's Awards

Posted 07 February 2016 - 03:54 PM

$2 Billion Today for the Force Awakens.

Now if it can hit 1 billion domestically I'll be pleased

Edited by Tokoya, 07 February 2016 - 03:55 PM.

iWo0nCc.gif

Nothing will stand in our way.....I will finish what you started....I will fulfill our destiny!

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#5 Royal_King

Royal_King

Shinninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts
  • LocationTrinidad

Posted 07 February 2016 - 06:34 PM

Now if it can hit 1 billion domestically I'll be pleased

Doubt it now

HXZmyoy.jpg

#6 Doan

Doan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, U.S.A.

Posted 08 February 2016 - 03:06 AM

So is episode 8 coming out at the end of this year and episode 9 the year after(just posting so i can follow the thread, i know i can check online, lol)

Edited by Doan, 08 February 2016 - 09:14 AM.

Fabolous ft Trey Songz "All There"

Spoiler

#7 Raiden

Raiden

World Champion :3

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • LocationAt the Top of the Football World

Posted 08 February 2016 - 02:52 PM

So is episode 8 coming out at the end of this year and episode 9 the year after(just posting so i can follow the thread, i know i can check online, lol)

No this year comes Rogue One, next year is Episode 8 and I think then comes Han Solo movie and then comes Episode 9.

• Doan likes this

President and Founder of the Roronoa Zoro Fanclub

Zoro_02.png

Spoiler

#8 trafalgarlawisop

trafalgarlawisop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 03:03 PM

I actually think that the best action film of last year was actually Kingsman and Star Wars 7 was decent but rather forgettable. JJ Abrams created good action sequences but Matthew Vaughn leaves you with a big WHOA in terms of direction, framing, editing, and style. In addition, Kingsman had a superior soundtrack and I have heard that John Williams was sick last year so that could explain why the soundtrack was disappointing.

#9 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,937 posts

User's Awards

Posted 09 February 2016 - 06:41 PM

Best action film last year was Mad Max by far imo

iWo0nCc.gif

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#10 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,892 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 06:59 PM

I was never all that impressed by Mad Max :shrug:

• waleuska, Doan and trafalgarlawisop like this

Kubo's announcement will be his new work will be called Tide; not as strong as bleach but does its trolling in a more colorful fashion! - arcane_chaos

Spoiler

#11 Chillman

Chillman

Shinigami

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,042 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 07:58 PM

#12 waleuska

waleuska

Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,000 posts
  • Locationeverywhere but nowhere

Posted 09 February 2016 - 08:20 PM

Edited by waleuska, 09 February 2016 - 08:21 PM.

p5Y5w8P.jpg

#13 Ace1225

Ace1225

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,649 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 10:25 PM

I actually think that the best action film of last year was actually Kingsman and Star Wars 7 was decent but rather forgettable. JJ Abrams created good action sequences but Matthew Vaughn leaves you with a big WHOA in terms of direction, framing, editing, and style. In addition, Kingsman had a superior soundtrack and I have heard that John Williams was sick last year so that could explain why the soundtrack was disappointing.

Don't know that i'd call it the best action film (I'd have to think on that a bit), but Kingsman was most definitely good and entertaining. Lot of old fashioned spy film tropes thrown in and subverted at the same time for a new age. Very interested ina  sequel.

• Raiden and trafalgarlawisop like this

I can't force you to believe me that's your choice. People live their lives bound by what they accept as correct and true. That's how they define "reality". But what does it mean to be "correct" and "true?" Merely vague concepts...their reality may all be a mirage. Can we consider them to simply be living in their own world, shaped by their beliefs?-Itachi Uchiha

#14 trafalgarlawisop

trafalgarlawisop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 10:41 PM

Don't know that i'd call it the best action film (I'd have to think on that a bit), but Kingsman was most definitely good and entertaining. Lot of old fashioned spy film tropes thrown in and subverted at the same time for a new age. Very interested ina  sequel.

The skydiving scene was mind-blowing. I mean the way Vaughn builds up the tension and gets the characters involved into the action. I loved idea to solve a problem under pressure and having to adapt continuously. The shot where Egsy lets himself drop from the plane gave me goosebumps. The choice of colors made by the DP and director were just great. The music was perfect which is like 50 percent of a film.

I think JJ still lacks that ability to create a whoa film.

I absolutely love the look and feel of the film which is a like a perfect blend from good old Bond films while being modern.

The story had a very a New Hope structure so it was easy to connect with the main character.

#15 Doan

Doan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 02:45 AM

Not for nothing but felt the new "Mad Max" was a remake of parts 2 and 3 imo, sorry, it just seemed like a reboot between the both, imo,

Edited by Doan, 10 February 2016 - 11:25 AM.

Spoiler

#16 Royal_King

Royal_King

Shinninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts
  • LocationTrinidad

Posted 15 February 2016 - 09:21 AM

Episode 8 has begun Production 

Edited by Royal_King, 15 February 2016 - 01:20 PM.

• Tokoya and Doan like this

HXZmyoy.jpg

#17 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,937 posts

User's Awards

Posted 06 March 2016 - 09:31 PM

Man I have to cop this when it comes out

Edited by Tokoya, 06 March 2016 - 09:31 PM.

• Raiden and Doan like this

iWo0nCc.gif

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#18 Doan

Doan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 10:08 PM

Man I have to cop this when it comes out

its nice to see that they're going to release the deleted scenes first, cause dont they usually release the movie then release the other shit we didn't see, glad it's just one release

As well as copping is a no brainer, lol, cant wait

Oh, buy the way does anyone know if it's possible to watch in 4K, or its just a matter of time, just wondering how long it might take?

Edited by Doan, 06 March 2016 - 10:12 PM.

• Tokoya likes this

Spoiler

#19 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,937 posts

User's Awards

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:55 PM

Greatest fan made film ever

iWo0nCc.gif

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#20 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,892 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 08:57 AM

@Tokoya - Damn. Ninja'd by 11 hours :lol:

Edited by DarkNemesis, 08 March 2016 - 08:58 AM.

• Tokoya likes this

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users