12 replies to this topic

#1 Kasa

Kasa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationEstiona

Posted 07 March 2016 - 01:45 PM

On the peak of the kingdoms highest mountain lies the most feared place in Scraps - the Judgement Hall, where the The King of Scraps lives and today we follow his Majesty's every majestic step, which begins with his waking and a visit to his wardrobe. This is the King of Scraps, the Hell Lord of Moderate Relevance, the Judge of Some Importance and the Defeater of Fairly Dangerous Dragons and Monsters.

Daily Life of Hell Lord is a short manga for medibang x jumpplus manga contest I am attending, and here's the making of it.

b6587634738453.56dc3a22a42c2.jpg

293f2634738453.56dc3a22a336d.jpg

6a00a034738453.56dc3a22a38fc.jpg

5b3be134738453.56dc3a22a3e4e.jpg

5c665834738453.56dc3a22a281a.jpg

You can follow me and my artwork from here:

Kasa manga Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/Kasamanga/
Artist Facebook:
https://www.facebook...aurendPaintings

Portfolio:
https://www.behance.net/KasaLaurend
Tumblr:
https://www.tumblr.c...log/kasalaurend
Prints for Sale:
http://www.artflakes...hop/kasalaurend
Deviantart:
http://kasalaurend.deviantart.com/

Edited by Kasa, 07 March 2016 - 01:46 PM.

• Morfeus, Red Opus and GintaMan like this

#2 Red Opus

Red Opus

Ghost

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

User's Awards

5    3   

Posted 07 March 2016 - 03:36 PM

I get a attack on titan feel from the artwork I like it

#3 TheLastPierrot

TheLastPierrot

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 04:21 PM

cool stuff, followed you on deviantart :)

check my facebook page for updates: https://www.facebook...heDreamCatcherz

or my twitter: https://twitter.com/TheLastPierrot

#4 GintaMan

GintaMan

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts
  • LocationSniper Island

Posted 07 March 2016 - 04:39 PM

THAT LOOKS AWESOME!!! CAN'T WAIT FOR THE ENTIRE WORK!

"To have a dream is to struggle with reality."

Have a taste of my pIMP Slap!

tiM4Zrr.gif

"The Old Man of the North"

http://38.media.tumb...EcNV1r1vglf.gif

Chairman Emeritus, OMF Butt Stuff Appreciation Association

Almighty Bishop of the Church of Escanor, Gawd of the Sun

#5 Lorenx1

Lorenx1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 01:31 AM

The artwork looks pretty good. I do want to say that it just doesn't seem to resemble much of what a general manga tries to achieve.

But overall it's pretty. I think if it moved toward a more western artstyle it can be more reformed. I do see the cover tries in some way resemble manga but just looks amateur-ish. I think the western style comes far more naturally.

Edited by Lorenx1, 11 March 2016 - 02:50 AM.

Help Kickstart Manga Mavericks!!!

#6 retroluffy13

retroluffy13

Keeper of the Beasts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,812 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 07:42 AM

yeah your definitely fighting through your western tendencies to draw this.  a little bit too round.   theres a ton of inspiration from burton like works.  ect.

it would definitely be easier to just go western.  but then again.  easier doesn't always necessarily mean better.

this is a music video I made for a friend of mine.  give it a listen.  the visuals are pretty dope

Spoiler

also some ear kandy
Spoiler

when you love something..  and I mean. really love it.  you fight for it for as long as you can until you cant stand any longer.  then when its all said and done, walk away with a smile hoping you did right.

#7 Lorenx1

Lorenx1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 02:51 AM

In this case it would be better refining the style they have rather than trying to push for a style they are clearly not trying to fully achieve.

#8 retroluffy13

retroluffy13

Keeper of the Beasts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,812 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 09:36 AM

i mean that monster, to  be fair, looks hella japenese.  so its not like he doesn't have potential in the stle.  but right now theres too much curve to his charecters and not enough straight lines.  but that's all it'd take to go from cartoon to manga.

Edited by retroluffy13, 12 March 2016 - 09:37 AM.

this is a music video I made for a friend of mine.  give it a listen.  the visuals are pretty dope

Spoiler

also some ear kandy
Spoiler

when you love something..  and I mean. really love it.  you fight for it for as long as you can until you cant stand any longer.  then when its all said and done, walk away with a smile hoping you did right.

#9 Lorenx1

Lorenx1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 12:36 AM

Vwhat do you classify as japanese?

That monster, to be actually fair resembles sasquatch/big foot/abominable snowman. Now I do understand some of it strongly resembles Attack on Titan which also to be fair resembles some of the other older manga series that were closer to western art (such as Beserker). The bigggest difference though this uses more western techniques as well.

I dont think its a bad idea for this to be a western comic.

#10 retroluffy13

retroluffy13

Keeper of the Beasts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,812 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 10:58 PM

Vwhat do you classify as japanese?

That monster, to be actually fair resembles sasquatch/big foot/abominable snowman. Now I do understand some of it strongly resembles Attack on Titan which also to be fair resembles some of the other older manga series that were closer to western art (such as Beserker). The bigggest difference though this uses more western techniques as well.

I dont think its a bad idea for this to be a western comic.

works that resemble works ive read from japan. in particular, the eyes are just like chopper in monster point or the eight tailed beast, but with pupils. and the fur reminds me sort of how kishi draws eton. then of course the facial features resemble the titans.

Edited by retroluffy13, 14 March 2016 - 11:00 PM.

Spoiler

also some ear kandy
Spoiler

#11 Lorenx1

Lorenx1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 01:22 AM

The line strokes definitely resemble attack: n titan but its used far more exceasive here.

And once again, I reiterate that attack on titan isnt the conventional art. I dont see the oupils resembling chomper from one piece. Maybe from 29 feet away. Which isnt saying much.

Regardless the daily life of hell lord strives for more western techniques and what generally focus on. Even in attwck on titan, it didnt focus on the detail of fur or such. There was screen tones being used.

This artwork focuses on everything manga normally doesnt focus on. We see detailed faces all being distinct. the characters, the background, and evwn the monster looks that of a traditional western comic. Trying to take bits and pieces that resemble a style one doesnt fully understand is a big mistake.

#12 retroluffy13

retroluffy13

Keeper of the Beasts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,812 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 09:23 AM

The line strokes definitely resemble attack: n titan but its used far more exceasive here.

And once again, I reiterate that attack on titan isnt the conventional art. I dont see the oupils resembling chomper from one piece. Maybe from 29 feet away. Which isnt saying much.

Regardless the daily life of hell lord strives for more western techniques and what generally focus on. Even in attwck on titan, it didnt focus on the detail of fur or such. There was screen tones being used.

This artwork focuses on everything manga normally doesnt focus on. We see detailed faces all being distinct. the characters, the background, and evwn the monster looks that of a traditional western comic. Trying to take bits and pieces that resemble a style one doesnt fully understand is a big mistake.

like literally. just cover up the pupils with our thumb and save for the fact the guys natural flow isn't the same as odas, the eyes look to be the same style.

I don't want to make any assumptions about someone I don't know. for all I know this person is perfectly capable of drawing in the traditional manga style and simply chose to try and incorporate some more western like features to make it all look unique and shit.

also he said he wanted to enter this in a manga competition or something so I'm just trying to say things that would be helpful should he choose to try again but this time more like a manga. your idea of taking it in the western direction is just one of the two possibilitys of inevitability.

ps. for the record. oda draws heavily from western works to create his characters. Disney and loony toons in particular.

Edited by retroluffy13, 15 March 2016 - 09:26 AM.

Spoiler

also some ear kandy
Spoiler

#13 Lorenx1

Lorenx1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 07:30 PM

Well if you look at the cover, he clearly trying for a stronger manga style character. However not well drawn. However all the pages show extreme western inspiration and flow naturally.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users