47 replies to this topic

#21 Morfeus

Morfeus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationIn the moshpit

Posted 13 May 2016 - 06:47 AM

Despite being angered by the puny man's words towards his companion, Al-Ashir did not react to the tumult. 

Proving their strength in front of Sir Monde might have been beneficial but that would have to wait. No need for any unnecessary trouble. 

Take, take all you need

And I'll compensate your greed

With broken hearts

Sell, I'll sell your memories

For 15 pounds per year

But just the good days

#22 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

Feisty

• Moderators
  • 12,560 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 14 May 2016 - 02:07 AM

"Look as intimidating as possible and follow my lead," whispered Aspen. The bard assumed an air of nobility and approached Sir Monde. "It's an honor to meet you, Sir Monde. I am Aspen Dicorio, noble and adventurer. May I take a seat?"

"You may," replied Sir Monde, courteous. The smell of his breath assaulted Aspen's nose. Sir Monde had drank more than that one jug of beer. In spite of this, Sir Monde retained perfect control over his tongue. "Am I correct in assuming you are here in response to my posting?"

"You are correct," said Aspen. "I read the name and immediately rushed to this Inn. I knew I would be doing myself a disservice if I passed over the chance to aid a Monde. My father often spoke highly of the Mondes. 'They place honor above everything,' he said."

Sir Monde raised his hand and said, "I am flattered, but we do not have time for platitudes, Sir Dicorio. Every minute we waste is a minute the bandits have to crack the seal on my che--"

The sound of Ferrin smashing his jug interrupted Sir Monde, and stole their attention. They watched in silence as the dwarf chased a group of older men out of the Inn. Aspen shot a questioning look at Al-Ashir, and noticed the man's expression was taut with anger. He followed the fighter's line of sight and noticed the blood dribbling down Brutalitop's staff. Realization dawned upon the young bard and his shock was swiftly replaced with anger.

"Filthy rabble," spat Sir Monde. "Birth does not determine worth. Money does."

Aspen nodded in agreement, fighting to contain his rage. In any other circumstance he would have challenged the scarred man to a duel. In this one, his comrades did not act. Thus, neither did he.

"The lack of elegance in some people. It's astounding," said Aspen, calming down. "Speaking of certain types of people, can you tell me anything about the scum who assaulted you? The type of weapons they wield? Names? Looks?"

Sir Monde stared into the distance as he recalled the assault of his carriage. "I do not remember much. The bandits caught my guards by surprise. Only a few seconds passed between the murder of Allegro, my driver, and the commandeering of my carriage. I only remember the bastard who murdered Allegro. He used a large blade attached to a long chain. He swung it with such speed that... that..."

The downtrodden man paused and held his head in his hands. He remained in that position for quite some. Sighing, Sir Monde raised his head and said, "That bandit wore a black handkerchief covering his face. A stylized B was stitched into it. He was an elf. The type that come from Forleroth, not the ones like your friend over there. If you can bring him to me alive, I will give you a bonus reward. 100 gold each."

---

"Do not apologize, dark one. The Ravens welcome all," said Ferrin, sitting back down on a chair. He gestured towards Brutalitops to do the same. "What happened to Moff and his boys happened before I was here, so I can only tell you what I have heard."

"A dark elf appeared at the edge of town on death's door. He was in the most tattered of clothes and a deep gash ran from his shoulder to his opposite hip. Obviously, he was newly Reborn. As you know, dark elves are unstable after the ceremony of rebirth. They have scrambled memories, no knowledge of themselves or family, no knowledge of social norms. Common knowledge is to leave these elves alone, and that is what Moff wanted to do. His daughter, on the other hand, could not leave a person in need."

"She took him in and nursed him back to health. She even convinced the other townspeople to help. After a few months, the dark elf regained consciousness and named himself Craine. He asked to stay until he regained his strength and she agreed. A year passed with Craine slowly helping out more around Lathe. He became a normal sight and the townspeople grew to like him. But on one particular night, Craine went absolutely mad. He smashed in the head of his caretaker -- Claire was her name -- with his mace and went on a rampage. Seniors, women, children. No one was spared."

"The way Moff tells it... he was clad in shadow. It armored him and strengthened his blows. Shadowy tendrils would support him and cut at his opponents. It was only with the sacrifice of his right eye that Moff could thrust his spear through Craine's chest. But that wasn't enough. The shadow engulfed the dying Craine completely, and he disappeared into it. Only the blood dyed soil of Lathe remained. It's why barely anything grows around here."

Ferrin gave Brutalitops a few minutes to let the story sink in. He walked towards the keg, opened the tap, and filled two new jugs. The dwarf passed one to Brutalitops and drank from his own.

"You'll notice that nothing I've said is related to the bandits. That is because they have little to do with the people of Lathe. The bandits call themselves the Barthez Battalion, after their leader, Barthez. Their base is in an area north-west from here, in the center of the forest. There are probably ten or eleven of them."

#23 Morfeus

Morfeus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationIn the moshpit

Posted 14 May 2016 - 08:38 AM

Al-Ashir listened closely as Sir Monde told his story. Sir Monde seemed to have been thoroughly shaken and posed no danger to anyone. Other than of course the bandit, if they could bring him back alive.

He sent Aspen a stern but agreeing nod. 

"Sounds like a good deal, Sir.", Al-Ashir politely said to Sir Monde. "The only thing bothering me is this: In your request for help, you wrote that your daughter was kidnapped along your valuables. Are we not to retrieve her, only the chest?"

Take, take all you need

With broken hearts

For 15 pounds per year

But just the good days

#24 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

Feisty

• Moderators
  • 12,560 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 14 May 2016 - 04:34 PM

"Ah, the girl," said Sir Monde, looking disinterested. "Do what you want with her. She's a disgrace to the Mondes; an absolutely useless child. She was the lookout when I was attacked."

#25 GintaMan

GintaMan

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
  • LocationSniper Island

Posted 16 May 2016 - 04:08 AM

"Re... Reborn you say?" a split second headache and a chill ran down his spine. Craine's story is awfully familiar --- too familiar. It's like a portrait of his own story. In his case, he woke up alone in an old farmhouse and survived on his own. Though he can't remember if he had a gash like Craine had, though he remembers trying to nurse some deep wounds. He wanted to know more about Craine, but he and his companions are on a job right now. 

"I would love to hear more about this Craine person. But alas! I have pledged my support for a job for that guy on the corner," he musters towards Sir Monde's table and saw Aspen and Al-Ashir intently talking with him. Good. Glad that his companions have the composure of professionals.

Brutalitops drank a bit from the jug, "Tell you what, Ferrin, after I finish this job of mine, I'll come back here and we will talk more. Drinks on me, we can chug down the entire keg if you want. As a way of thanking you for defending me and for that information about the bandits."

Brutalitops mustered a kindly smile. He'll give the dwarf more if he earns enough from this job. It's the least that he can do and Ferrin showed him a crack on the door of his history that he can peek in. For the meantime, bandit hunting sounded like a chore he needs to get done and over with --- fast. 

"To have a dream is to struggle with reality."

Have a taste of my pIMP Slap!

tiM4Zrr.gif

"The Old Man of the North"

http://38.media.tumb...EcNV1r1vglf.gif

Chairman Emeritus, OMF Butt Stuff Appreciation Association

Almighty Bishop of the Church of Escanor, Gawd of the Sun

#26 Morfeus

Morfeus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationIn the moshpit

Posted 16 May 2016 - 07:52 AM

Al-Ashir nodded, as he heard the noble's response. He obviously blamed her for the attack, as she obviously hadn't fulfilled her duties as look-out. He was reminded about how his father had often doubted Al-Ashir's own abilities but pushed it aside. The best way about it would be to concentrate on the elimination of the bandits and the treasure and rescue the daughter, only if the opportunity arises. 

"Understood, Sir. We shall be on our way then. Thank you for the answers, we will be back post-haste. With a live sample, if possible.", Al-Ashir said bluntly, bowed for the noble and signaled for Aspen to gather up Brutalitops and leave for the area where the bandits had been spotted. 

Take, take all you need

With broken hearts

For 15 pounds per year

But just the good days

#27 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

Feisty

• Moderators
  • 12,560 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 16 May 2016 - 10:37 PM

Aspen felt a pang of loneliness when hearing about Sir Monde's daughter. He thought of all the good times he had with his brothers and sisters and how he would never see them again. It had been two years and six months since he was lost in time. Already, his memory of the faces of his family members were beginning to fade. The bard was shaken out of his thoughts by Al-Ashir and followed his friend out of the Inn. 

When The Reborn reached the border of Lathe, Aspen stopped the group to make sure they were prepared for their journey.

"Do we have everything? Prepared your spells Brutalitops? Which one of us is going to be the scout? Quartermaster?"

#28 GintaMan

GintaMan

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
  • LocationSniper Island

Posted 17 May 2016 - 12:42 AM

Brutalitops felt a strange sensation. Was it excitement? Fear? It's like an itch gnawing at his nape, lurking and waiting for something. Composing himself, he looks at Aspen with firm determination, "Spells are ready my friend. I can be a scout since we're dealing with elves here. I can detect magic if ever we encounter one. What do you think, Al-Ashir?" he turns to his other companion. 

Spoiler Stats

Edited by GintaMan, 17 May 2016 - 06:01 PM.

tiM4Zrr.gif

#29 Morfeus

Morfeus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationIn the moshpit

Posted 17 May 2016 - 08:26 AM

"Seems like a fine plan. If worst comes to worst, you have the means of defending yourself.", Al-Ashir nodded. Brutalitops didn't possess the physical abilities of a fighter but hopefully his spells could buy them some time in case of an ambush.

Then he turned towards Aspen.

"I have no trouble being the quartermaster, Aspen-um. The days in the desert makes you all the more rational about your provisions."

Spoiler

Edited by Morfeus, 17 May 2016 - 08:52 AM.

Take, take all you need

With broken hearts

For 15 pounds per year

But just the good days

#30 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

Feisty

• Moderators
  • 12,560 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 18 May 2016 - 01:44 AM

"I suppose I'll provide moral support," said Aspen, amused at the idea of being a cheerleader. "To be honest, I'm still not used to this type of thing. Earning a living, I mean."

The road The Reborn were planning to take was close to Forleroth. Given its proximity to the elven country, it had become one known for its bandits. The less savoury of the elves would sneak across the border and rob unsuspecting travelers. As a result, only well guarded caravans took this route, and only when they were in a rush. Otherwise, they would take a detour to the east using a safer, frequently patrolled road.

In addition to the elves, there had been recent sightings of mechanical vultures. These mechanical vultures were a matte grey, unrelenting, and had a single glowing yellow eye. They were known for using their aerial advantage and significant stamina to harass caravans. Even veteran guards found them difficult to fight. Nobody knows who or what created the vultures.

The Reborn trekked on this road through the pouring rain and dense fog. The mud and low visibility slowed their travel but no loss hurt more than the loss of half their rations. Somewhere along the way, Al-Ashir had dropped one bag of rations. Given the terrible visibility it was pointless to turn back and look for it. That was the least of their troubles.

The group arrived at the remains of Sir Monde's caravan, soaking wet and annoyed. The horses had large gashes in their necks and the caravan had collapsed on its side. Most of the guards seemed to have fallen to the initial volley of arrows. A look of surprise was frozen on their dead faces. The heavy rain washed most of the blood from the corpses and masked the rancid smell. If you moved close enough, however...

Aspen turned away at the horrid sight, trying not to heave. "Urgh. I'm sorry. This is terrible. I can't look. Investigate if you want, but I can't handle all these corpses."

#31 Morfeus

Morfeus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationIn the moshpit

Posted 18 May 2016 - 02:48 AM

"You just stay back and keep a look-out, Aspen-um. Also to the skies, we don't want to be part of the vultures next supper. Brutalitops-um and I will take a closer look. I'll act as guard, Brutalitops-um, can you find out whether our adversaries used magic or not?", Al-Ashir 

Al-Ashir moved closer to the scene and the rotten, sweet smell of the blood and bodies greeted him. He was used to it, being drowned in the stench of the dead bodies of the ones the Alqatala failed to protect but this smell was something else entirely.

He drew Hadi and checked to see if it reacted to any spirits or ghostly presences nearby.

Take, take all you need

With broken hearts

For 15 pounds per year

But just the good days

#32 GintaMan

GintaMan

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
  • LocationSniper Island

Posted 19 May 2016 - 05:17 AM

The stench of death permeates Brutalitops' nose. An odd and revolting realization hit him --- he's somewhat used to or familiar with the smell. What kind of messed up past does he hold? Feigning disgust, Brutalitops covered his nose.

"Urgh, earning a living sucks. But let me at least do it capably enough," Brutalitops humorously muttered from behind the sleeves covering his nose. 

He then moves a bit closer to the scene and raised his gnarly staff to detect any lingering presence of magic.

Spoiler Stats

tiM4Zrr.gif

#33 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

Feisty

• Moderators
  • 12,560 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 19 May 2016 - 08:21 PM

The dense fog surrounding The Reborn made Aspen's job of looking for vultures difficult. By the time he would see one, it would already be close enough to make an attack. Still, the bard followed the older's man advice and kept an eye out. 

Hadi failed to detect anything of note, but Brutalitop's Detect Magic did. The wizard realizes that four of the guardsmen and the two horses have been touched by magic. There was a lingering, sinister mana covering the six corpses. Necromancy. The use of magic set off a trigger and the corpses began to stir.

There were three zombie guardsmen near Al-Ashir. Two had swords, and the third one was unarmed. The fourth guardsman tackled Aspen by the legs and mounted him. The horses were still in the middle of getting up.

#34 GintaMan

GintaMan

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
  • LocationSniper Island

Posted 19 May 2016 - 10:50 PM

Brutalitops instinctively reacted, while holding his staff from the right, he points his left hand's five fingers on an armed zombie that was near Al-Ashir. Aspen might be able to hold his own on the other one. 

"Get back to being dead, you fiend! Digitus mortem!" Brutalitops shouted as he casted Magic Missile against the zombie.

Spoiler Stats

Edited by GintaMan, 19 May 2016 - 10:52 PM.

tiM4Zrr.gif

#35 Morfeus

Morfeus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationIn the moshpit

Posted 20 May 2016 - 12:37 PM

Al-Ashir also reacted on instinct and very quickly became focues on the opponents closest to him. Luckily, he had already drawn his sword. He quickly assessed that the two armed undead would be the most troublesome opponents and therefore attacked one of them with a cleave, using the long Reach of his sword. 

Spoiler

Take, take all you need

With broken hearts

For 15 pounds per year

But just the good days

#36 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

Feisty

• Moderators
  • 12,560 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 21 May 2016 - 04:52 AM

Aspen struggles under the zombie but manages to kick it off and roll out from underneath it. He makes a run towards his comrades and gasps, out of breath. "Thanks for the help guys."

Brutalitops' five missiles hit his target dead center, knocking it back slightly. His use of magic makes him the center of attention and all four zombies rush him. Fortunately, Al-Ashir intervenes and slices the head off of one of the armed zombies. The three remaining continue their charge.

#37 Morfeus

Morfeus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationIn the moshpit

Posted 21 May 2016 - 11:01 AM

"Sorry, Aspen-um, I had faith in your abilities!", Al-Ashir quickly yelled to his comrade. 

Al-Ashir makes another dash forward to catch up to the speed of the victims of the nercromancy. He takes a long-reaching swing at the other armed undead that was near him, trying to perform the same decapitating maneuver that he did the moment before.

Spoiler

Take, take all you need

With broken hearts

For 15 pounds per year

But just the good days

#38 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

Feisty

• Moderators
  • 12,560 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 21 May 2016 - 11:55 PM

"Yeah, no problem," said Aspen, hunched over gasping for air. "I did this all the time back home for fun. Wasn't scared in the slightest. Yep."

Al-Ashir catches up and swings at the armed zombie, but only reaches one of its arms. Given zombies do not register pain, it ignored the wound and continued its charge towards the wizard. It entered melee range and swung its sword with its remaining arm. Meanwhile, the two other unarmed zombies tried to tackle the wizard from opposing sides.

Aspen strings his bow and fires at the armed zombie. The arrow goes clean through its rotting brains and it collapses into the muddy trail underneath it.

"I got one!"

The horses neigh behind the group as they finally stand on their decomposing legs. They charge towards the bard and fighter destroying the road behind them with the trailing carriage.

Spoiler Log

#39 GintaMan

GintaMan

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
  • LocationSniper Island

Posted 22 May 2016 - 04:11 PM

Drawing the unwanted attention was not really in his plan but deterring at least one enemy gives them enough room to fight a lot of enemies.

"Sorry, Aspen!" his only swift reply before the zombies came at him from both sides. Brutalitops holds his staff with two hands and tries to swing at the head of the zombie on his right while trying to roll to the side at the same time. Hopefully his body weight while rolling would be enough to smash its head. 

Spoiler

Edited by GintaMan, 22 May 2016 - 04:12 PM.

tiM4Zrr.gif

#40 Morfeus

Morfeus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationIn the moshpit

Posted 22 May 2016 - 05:42 PM

"Good shot, Aspen-um!" Al-Ashir shouted, before being suddenly silenced and nearly paralyzed by the sight of the undead wagon charging towards them. Seemed like whoever set-up this elaborate trap had a sick sense of humor. And was quite the powerful sorcerer indeed. No matter what, he had to move. Quickly.

Reacting as fast as possible, Al-Ashir yelled "Everyone, watch out! Duck for cover!".

Quickly dodging to the side of the road, Al-Ashir raised Hadi above his head and tried to aim a beheading hack at the horse closest to him, attempting to intervene it's path on the road.

Spoiler

Take, take all you need

With broken hearts

For 15 pounds per year

But just the good days

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users